• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
If her singles still significantly outsell her albums then she's still a singles artist, sorry.

What kind of logic failure?

ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

royalan

Ofc the xtina stans are here to perpetuate delusions. Masters of it, tbh.

You fail to highlight the lie though, Boo. Typical though.

Face it: most artists these days ARE singles artists. Instead of pacing the singles and focusing promotion on the actual album, most artists these days FLOOD radio with multiple singles across multiple formats AT THE SAME TIME (and flood the blogs with "leaks" and "buzz tracks"), and keep promotion mostly limited to whatever single they're pushing at the moment.

Unlike big album pushers like Adele, who despite having a big single on radio would often do promotion stints performing OTHER songs from the album.

The problem isn't that most artists are singles artists now (because they are, so sip that bitter tea), it's the negative connotation associated with that label.

Basically by his logic all mainstream artists of the last 10 years are single sellers.

Lol by that logic practically 90% of artists are singles artists in today's digital age.

#floplogic

In terms of US numbers:
She's the highest selling singles artist with 47.5 million singles sales, right?
During this same period she shipped 7.3 million albums.

Do 'all mainstream artists of the last 10 years / 90% of artists' have such a heavy deficit between singles and albums sales? Didn't think so.
Of course singles will outsell albums, that's happened probably since the chart first ever came to formation, but if you think under 7.5 million albums sales is okay with almost 50 million singles sales then I don't know what to tell ya.....

Cynosure

Um no. Even certified album sellers like ADELE, Taylor Swift and GaGa have higher singles sales.

In the US, Taylor's Fearless sold 6x platinum and its highest selling single sold 5x platinum
Speak Now is 5x platinum and its highest selling single is 2x platinum.

Adele's 21 is 9x and RITD is 7x

Mau ®

Do 'all mainstream artists of the last 10 years / 90% of artists' have such a heavy deficit between singles and albums sales? Didn't think so.
Of course singles will outsell albums, that's happened probably since the chart first ever came to formation, but if you think under 7.5 million albums sales is okay with almost 50 million singles sales then I don't know what to tell ya.....

This isnt the 90's or early 00's. Rihanna appeared on the onset of the album format and rise of the digital single. Why should it be shocking that her stats reflect this market change?

Rihanna targets the very demographic that doesnt buy albums. Teenagers and young adults rarely buy albums but they do buy singles. Its the way the market works now and its not gonna change anytime soon.

iPtTsNgftwD38.gif

Bladenic

You fail to highlight the lie though, Boo. Typical though.

Face it: most artists these days ARE singles artists. Instead of pacing the singles and focusing promotion on the actual album, most artists these days FLOOD radio with multiple singles across multiple formats AT THE SAME TIME (and flood the blogs with "leaks" and "buzz tracks"), and keep promotion mostly limited to whatever single they're pushing at the moment.

Unlike big album pushers like Adele, who despite having a big single on radio would often do promotion stints performing OTHER songs from the album.

The problem isn't that most artists are singles artists now (because they are, so sip that bitter tea), it's the negative connotation associated with that label.

Promoting an album didn't work for Beyonce. LOL

Im not arguing that she isnt tho. Im arguing the fact that you think its somehow wrong or awful that she sells a lot of singles and doesnt sell as many albums.

Ok, that post was for the others then.

I don't think it's wrong or awful, just strange that she has lower recent album sales than a bunch of artists (Adele, Beyonce, Gaga) despite having the highest singles sales.
Does it not seem strange to you that this 'it's the digital age, nobody sells albums anymore!' phenomenon seems to largely impact only her?
Why is that exactly?

I'm curious, not hating. It is ridiculous for anybody to suggest she's not a singles artist however.

Mau ®

Does it not seem strange to you that this 'it's the digital age, nobody sells albums anymore!' phenomenon seems to largely impact only her?
Why is that exactly?

It doesnt seem strange to me nor does it only impact only her. A lot pop starts like Minaj, Ke$ha, Britney, Katy, Usher, Justin Beiber and more, suffer from the same situation. Even this year's chart acts like Gotye, Ellie Goulding and Fun can't seem to move album units despite having massive hit singles.

royalan

iGOCNnHZt2P66.gif

I liked him. ;_;

I am curious as to what he did, though. A quick scan of his recent post history and nothing really jumps out.

It doesnt seem strange to me nor does it only impact only her. A lot pop starts like Minaj, Ke$ha, Britney, Katy, Usher, Justin Beiber and more, suffer from the same situation. Even this year's chart acts like Gotye, Ellie Goulding and Fun can't seem to move album units despite having massive hit singles.

She's the biggest example though which is why I use her.
A 47.5 to 7.3 million ratio is serious.

Out of interest, what do you think it means for the future of the album format?
Personally I wouldn't say it's dying as certain artists are still managing to clock big album numbers, but it certainly sets a worrying precedent.

Mau ®

Out of interest, what do you think it means for the future of the album format?
Personally I wouldn't say it's dying as certain artists are still managing to clock big album numbers, but it certainly sets a worrying precedent.

I feel the LP will always have a market out there for people who want more than a single-song experience from a particular artist. And its still an important part of an artist campaign.

I do worry that it might set a quality precendent. Im in the minority but I do view the album as a listening experience and I feel this "single focus" makes the album creating process less creative and more of a "lets just get 4 good songs and fuck the rest" mentality, which Im not here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom