• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

We could be looking at an OT3 by late september/early October if not sooner with all the upcoming fall releases.

It's an exciting time to be POP fan.

Nemesis_

INDEED

sLcVT.gif

Bladenic

Can't wait to see the Summertime Sadness. Cant now though, it would take a year buffering LOL. Too bad tho, I'm sure Lana looks incredible.

Bladenic

OH and I have to say that Roxette was incredible. The concert was amazing. Perfectly sung, lots of audience interaction, and great songs. Consider me a fan now.

AND can we talk more about how Channel Orange completely slays our faves? 92 on Metacritic? Check. 130k sales only from iTunes? Check. With next to no promotion too. Shit Brown barely managed to sell 135k with tons of promotion and singles. And a 40 metacritic. LOL

#slayed

Nemesis_

I only know one Roxette song ;_;

I would GIF the new Lana video but I am too busy writing this FINAL FUCKING REVIEW so I can at least have a DAY"S BREAK

Trigger

OH and I have to say that Roxette was incredible. The concert was amazing. Perfectly sung, lots of audience interaction, and great songs. Consider me a fan now.

AND can we talk more about how Channel Orange completely slays our faves? 92 on Metacritic? Check. 130k sales only from iTunes? Check. With next to no promotion too. Shit Brown barely managed to sell 135k with tons of promotion and singles. And a 40 metacritic. LOL

#slayed

Indeed. I hope we see more Frankie and less Bruises.

Bladenic

Should I give Channel Orange a try?

BRO YES OMG IT IS SO GOOD. Like incredibly good. Like it's not really pop (though iTunes classifies it as such lol). Actually not at all pop. It's R&B/Hip-Hop but it's truly outstanding.

ALSO

http://www.amazon.com/The-ArchAndroid-Deluxe-video/dp/B003M30T9Y/ref=br_lf_m_1000803791_1_19_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&pf_rd_p=1381695782&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000803791&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07JVS0793T54YHCG7324

Do I need to say it? Amazon is at it again. This time it's R&B albums for 3 bucks. Your faves could never. Snatching this up to see if the hype is worth it.

Bladenic

Thanks to Amazon my iTunes collection has grown close to 500 songs in the past 2 weeks. I still have albums to listen to lol. So much great music (not all pop, actually most isn't pop lol).

Bladenic

I had to claim Pluto because everyone else was taken

#FLOP
#NotEvenAPlanetAnymore

Nem Pluto was one of the best though. If only because we knew so little about her. Hope she gets more spotlight in the new series. Except she probably won't appear since Pluto isn't a planet anymore LOL

Trigger

OH and continuing my Amazon worship.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Time-Feat-Carly-Jepsen/dp/B008BUFQY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342787381&sr=8-1&keywords=good+time

http://www.amazon.com/Runaways/dp/B008ID3OK4/ref=sr_shvl_album_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342787408&sr=301-2

The Killers new single. SO good 5/5 tbh. Can't wait for the new album which is coming out Sept. 18 same day as Pink. Also Good Time is such a good fun summer song.

I've only got Hot Fuss. I need to pick up their other CDs since I do like their singles.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sam's Town was my jam. I think I can still honk my way through most of the songs on there, I listened/sang along to it so much.

I think you can see some of the DNA for BTW on there too.

Nobody here for overpriced British girl group pop. Sorry not sorry.

Your loss.

Chemistry was largely praised by contemporary music critics upon its release. Talia Kraines of BBC Music decided that the album was "quirky, modern and dripping with attitude" and "holds no disappointments."[3] Virgin Media gave the album five stars, saying it was "bursting [...] with invention, quirky lyrics, tongue-in-cheek sauciness and [...] appeals to grown-up pop fans and music critics as well as to the teenyboppers."[9] Yahoo! Music concurred by declaring that Chemistry was "as devilish and quirky and downright uplifting as anything else released by anyone this year."[4] The Guardian was extremely positive in its review, saying it "spends 45 minutes doing the last thing you expect it to."[2] The New York Times referred to the album as "endlessly entertaining".[27] In comparison to Girls Aloud's previous albums, Entertainment.ie referred to Chemistry as their "best offering yet [...] overflowing with pop hooks, sassy production and choruses just waiting to take up permanent residence in your head."[25] The Daily Telegraph said that Girls Aloud have "simply got much, much better [...] albums will have to get better in order to survive. It's happened here. Judging by Chemistry, Girls Aloud's songwriters are now working as hard as the band are."[24] MusicOMH said it "achieves the almost impossible in bettering its predecessor."[6] Dom Passantino of Stylus Magazine said he did prefer What Will the Neighbours Say?, but gave Chemistry an A-.[5]

Chemistry appeared at number 13 on Stylus Magazine's Top 50 Albums of 2005 and number 35 on Observer Music Monthly's top 100 albums of 2005 list.[28][29] In 2008, Slant Magazine said that "Chemistry is probably still their crowning glory".[30]

"Biology" received almost universal acclaim from music critics. The song was particularly notable for its informal structure. Popjustice referred to the song as "pop music which redefines the supposed boundaries of pop music."[8] BBC Music said "the girls rip through a variety of styles, paces and Neneh Cherry-esque raps [...] all within the same song."[9] Virgin Media praised the song for "blending the kind of saucy cabaret you'd expect to find in a gin-soaked saloon bar with a glorious chorus of fizzing, gliding synths and deceptively breakneck beats."[10] The song was described as "about as far from tired formula as you can possibly get. It sounds like three separate melodies condensed into one, from the Muddy Waters-apeing riff at the start, through to the glorious pop sheen of the verses, and having the sheer balls to wait two minutes before even introducing a chorus."[11] musicOMH noted that the song "breaks all the rules of manufactured pop" and stated that "Biology is yet more proof that Xenomania write the best pop songs around and that Girls Aloud are pretty much the perfect group to sing them [...] it's the single of the year.[12] Stylus Magazine also praised the song.[13]
Peter Cashmore, writing for The Guardian, described "Biology" as "the best pop single of the last decade".[14] Peter Robinson of music website Popjustice said the song was "a great example of a song which pleased people with no passion for pop but also managed to hit the spot with those who totally loved the stuff [...] At once avant garde and relentlessly, demented mainstream, 'Biology' quickly became one of Girls Aloud's signature tunes."[3] In September 2006, "Biology" won the award for the Popjustice £20 Music Prize, an annual prize awarded by a panel of judges organised by Popjustice to the singer(s) of the best British pop single of the past year. Girls Aloud had previously won the award in 2003 and 2005 for "No Good Advice" and "Wake Me Up" respectively. The song was listed at number 245 on American review site Pitchfork Media's "The Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s" list, despite Girls Aloud never receiving any sort of stateside push.[15]

Mine and Icicle's favourite music critic called it (my fave quote):

"a record that dispenses with the tiresome business of verses and instead opts for songs apparently constructed by stitching eight different choruses together."

#whenwillyourfave
#popphenomenonofthedecade
#pressedlesserscantdeal

Bladenic

Aren't they no longer together though? Although they will probably get back together since it seems on their own they all flopped except for Cheryl though her latest album is indeed a flop. Call my Name was such a jam though and I think it peaked at #1 so not a complete flop.

Nemesis_

Aren't they no longer together though? Although they will probably get back together since it seems on their own they all flopped except for Cheryl though her latest album is indeed a flop. Call my Name was such a jam though and I think it peaked at #1 so not a complete flop.

Is Janet still relevant?

iJYtN.gif

I also thought that Cheryl was done with the group a long time ago anyway, so even if they did get back together she wouldn't be involved?

Who cares anyway. Nobody is checking for them bar ONE

Ps0Kk.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

They took time out while they were on the top of their game.

There's a lot of rumbling, hopefully there'll be something new this year.

I also thought that Cheryl was done with the group a long time ago anyway, so even if they did get back together she wouldn't be involved?

Who cares anyway. Nobody is checking for them bar ONE

Ps0Kk.gif

Shows how little you know.
777ff663raj17.gif
Cheryl is cutting short promo for her own album to work on Gods Aloud material.

I came to terms a long time ago with the fact that this thread will never give Girls Aloud the time of day. But it is quite hilarious seeing you all trying to drag my immaculate god-esque faves every time I mention them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom