• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

That's her best Burlesque uptempo promo performance. Shame about her lipping that note midway though. Would have been perfect.

Which note? If you're referring to the climax at 2:44, that's not lipped. You hear the slight strain in her throat when she twists her neck. If that note was lipped it's the best lipsync in all of pop. lol

EDIT: oops, double post.

RubyFaith

You seem to be placing a lot of importance on Christina having choreography in this video. It seems to me like there won't be any. I mean, Your Body is a mid-tempo, and the video's story-centric. It doesn't really need choreography.

And, personally, that Burlesque performance is one of my favorite live Christina performance, extra weight or not. Regardless of how she's dancing, she can clearly still dance.

I would like to see her dancing in this comeback, yes but does she absolutely have to? Nope. And it doesn't necessarily have to be with "Your Body" either. When she performs other tracks (which I'm assuming there is a great possibility she will) she will still be able to blow me away, and hopefully not with something half assed. I pray to god it won't be.

Trigger

DlJ80.gif

ARTPOP needs to arrive.

3phemeral

Which note? If you're referring to the climax at 2:44, that's not lipped. You hear the slight strain in her throat when she twists her neck. If that note was lipped it's the best lipsync in all of pop. lol

EDIT: oops, double post.

Oh mija, I'm so sorry:

http://youtubedoubler.com/5aIl

Time them exactly the same. It's the same run as the album cut.

Plus, you can tell with her body language. She never has the mic that close when she's belting like that.

royalan

Oh mija, I'm so sorry:

http://youtubedoubler.com/5aIl

Time them exactly the same. It's the same run as the album cut.

Why wouldn't it be the same run as the album cut? Xtina very rarely has difficulty replicating her runs live. She also sang the intro to the song the exact same way she does in the studio recording. Unless you're arguing that she lipped that too...

Besides, her voice sounds rougher in the live version. Usually when a singer inserts lipped parts during a performance you can tell when the recording comes in because the vocals have a noticeably cleaner, mastered sound to them. Complete with the unnatural reverb that they HAVE to add to studio recordings.

If that run was prerecorded then it's amazing that they got it to sound the same volume and timbre Christina had been singing at right up to that moment.

Nemesis_

DlJ80.gif

ARTPOP needs to arrive.

I do wonder if she's actually going to use Padam Padam as a backing track of sorts and then her and Azealia will provide the vocals.

An interesting collaboration if that's true.

It could really go one of two ways

1.) She sang this with an Edith Piaf backing since she was in FRANCE
2.) She chose to "debut" these lyrics since she was in FRANCE.

3phemeral

Why wouldn't it be the same run as the album cut? Xtina very rarely has difficulty replicating her runs live. She also sang the intro to the song the exact same way she does in the studio recording. Unless you're arguing that she lipped that too...

Besides, her voice sounds rougher in the live version. Usually when a singer inserts lipped parts during a performance you can tell when the recording comes in because the vocals have a noticeably cleaner, mastered sound to them. Complete with the unnatural reverb that they HAVE to add to studio recordings.

If that run was prerecorded then it's amazing that they got it to sound the same volume and timbre Christina had been singing at right up to that moment.
Did you listen to the tracks side by side?

I don't mean to say it's the same run. It's the exact same run, as in they pulled the vocal from the album cut and used it for the live performance.

If you watched the video, you'd notice that she sounds differently on every other section of the song, except for that one section.

Christina is not averse to lipping, you know:

Not Myself Tonight @ 3:00

Or this one, where she decided she no longer wanted to use the album cut and redid the live vocal but used the same cut for both live performances: Not Myself Tonight Today Show Vs Regis and Kelly

Well that note is understandable. lol

She wouldn't have a voice left if she tried to do that note live every night for a world tour.

She even does it for songs where she's not saving her voice from the high notes. It's no surprise, she's been actively lipping since her Stripped and B2B tours. Her biggest offender would be Ain't No Other Man (completely) and Hurt (80%), of which hurt is the best example to show that she does:

Hurt @ Sportpaelis
Hurt DVD Cut

It doesn't take too much effort to sync them up and realize she's singing to the same vocal track up until the climax. And lord knows Christina has a tough enough time with that song if you compare an actual live version that she's not gonna sing it lick for lick, breath for breath, the exact same way.

What's funny is that she used the same redone lipped track with the wrong lyrics.
mQ317.gif

But I don't know why she would need to lip that note when she was hitting notes nearly that high throughout the entire performance.

You have to keep in mind, vocally speaking, it's easier to force the throat throttle up to a climax than to actually have it controlled like that lipped run. Notice for the live notes, she's ending the phrase with the peak note, whereas the lipped track she starts off with the high note but then scales downward, requiring a lot more vocal control.

Trigger

I do wonder if she's actually going to use Padam Padam as a backing track of sorts and then her and Azealia will provide the vocals.

An interesting collaboration if that's true.

It could really go one of two ways

1.) She sang this with an Edith Piaf backing since she was in FRANCE
2.) She chose to "debut" these lyrics since she was in FRANCE.

Mmhmm. Lots of possibilities.

Mumei

Well that note is understandable. lol

She wouldn't have a voice left if she tried to do that note live every night for a world tour.

That's what is really nuts about Whitney.

She was doing shit like this on a 45+ date tour (excluding Europe; Wiki has ? for number of stops there), and her voice was no worse for wear by the end of it.

The 150+ show Moment of Truth tour didn't do it either and nor did the 100+ show I'm Your Baby Tonight Tour (well she did develop a throat ailment, apparently, but she recovered). It wasn't until the combination of The Bodyguard World Tour + drugs that she developed nodules during that period (and probably stress built up from the previous touring schedule).

:(

3phemeral

That's what is really nuts about Whitney.

She was doing shit like this on a 45+ date tour (excluding Europe; Wiki has ? for number of stops there), and her voice was no worse for wear by the end of it.

The 150+ show Moment of Truth tour didn't do it either and nor did the 100+ show I'm Your Baby Tonight Tour (well she did develop a throat ailment, apparently, but she recovered). It wasn't until the combination of The Bodyguard World Tour + drugs that she developed nodules during that period (and probably stress built up from the previous touring schedule).

:(
Oh man, Whitney's immaculate vocal flawlessness. That's how you know you have a tight command over your voice and you're not simply using some vocal affectation to emulate a bigger sound.

A testament to Whitney's work ethic of "You practice til you're as good as or better than the greats."

[edit] Holy hell, she was keeping up with the speed of IWDWS and not missing a belted beat.

Mumei

Oh man, Whitney's immaculate vocal flawlessness. That's how you know you have a tight command over your voice and you're not simply using some vocal affectation to emulate a bigger sound.

A testament to Whitney's work ethic of "You practice til you're as good as or better than the greats."

[edit] Holy hell, she was keeping up with the speed of IWDWS and not missing a belted beat.

Are you being shady towards the lessors who try to shout their way to powerful vocals?

And yes! That performance is not really chronologically in order (1990 when that tour I was talking about was 87 - 88 iirc), but it was too awesome a performance not to link to. <3

3phemeral

Are you being shady towards the lessors who try to shout their way to powerful vocals?

And yes! That performance is not really chronologically in order (1990 when that tour I was talking about was 87 - 88 iirc), but it was too awesome a performance not to link to. <3

mQ317.gif

Kyon

Banned

Shade

that video you showed me a few months ago about Xtina's shouting her way to a long note is still playing in my head. I never even noticed till that video

royalan

Christina is not averse to lipping, you know:

Not Myself Tonight @ 3:00

Or this one, where she decided she no longer wanted to use the album cut and redid the live vocal but used the same cut for both live performances: Not Myself Tonight Today Show Vs Regis and Kelly

I'm confused about what I should be listening for here. How is it a lipsync (and the same recording in both performances) if the adlibs she does after the big note are completely different in each performance? Unless you're just referring to that note, in which case considering how effected it is I don't get what the issue is.

You have to keep in mind, vocally speaking, it's easier to force the throat throttle up to a climax than to actually have it controlled like that lipped run. Notice for the live notes, she's ending the phrase with the peak note, whereas the lipped track she starts off with the high note but then scales downward, requiring a lot more vocal control.

Not entirely true. If you're going for a sustained run like the kind Mariah tends to do it is easier to work up to a note. However, if you're belting out quickly like Xtina does at the end of that Burlesque performance it's easier to start out at the top because you have more air to work with to, well, basically blast out the note. Notice that she only holds that top note for the briefest moment before quickly running down.

Mumei

Not entirely true. If you're going for a sustained run like the kind Mariah tends to do it is easier to work up to a note. However, if you're belting out quickly like Xtina does at the end of that Burlesque performance it's easier to start out at the top because you have more air to work with to, well, basically blast out the note. Notice that she only holds that top note for the briefest moment before quickly running down.

Like so?

3phemeral

I'm confused about what I should be listening for here. How is it a lipsync (and the same recording in both performances) if the adlibs she does after the big note are completely different in each performance? Unless you're just referring to that note, in which case considering how effected it is I don't get what the issue is.

The point of the comparison is to show that everything else but that run is different - she'd never actually be able to execute that run in exactly the same fashion. And I don't know what you mean by it's affected. It's not -- it's the same album-cut run for the SYTYCD.

Same goes for that Today Show performance. If you notice how front-and-center her voice is on NMT, then when that "tonight" belt comes, it suddenly disappears and sounds like it's muted compared to when she actually is singing live. Now, this is not an indication that muted necessarily means it's lipped, but it is curious that the vocal quality is so different for the belt when the mic is an inch from her mouth and she doesn't sound as loud as she does during the rest of the song. It's even more curious when that "belt" is an exact match of the album vocal, which is the de facto indicator. Compare it to her Oprah performance of NMT -- that one is live.

There are differences in what she does when she does lip. The SYTYCD is a direct album rip. Ain't No Other Man on tour is an album rip. Hurt is lipped but a redone vocal she reuses.

Show me a performance where you think she sounds exactly like the record and I can guarantee you that if it's live, it will sound different when compared to the album vocal or any other live version. If not, then it's probably lipped. Of course, Hurt on tour being the caveat because that's not an album cut, but if you layer every single performance she did on tour, her breathing, timing, ad libs and runs all sound exactly the same up to the bridge (where it is live). Also note how far her mouth is from the mic when she is belting live.

So why does she lip it, then?

I know it's hard when you discover your fav lips, I really do. Celine (who has to be the best lipper in the business) and Mariah are notorious for lipping. I've only seen one performance where Whitney tried to.

3phemeral

Wait. So does that mean this is lipped as well? Note 1, note 2, note 3. I was always so impressed and thought it looked effortless! You've slightly broken might heart if true =(
It's not lipped from the album version, I can tell you that. I can also tell you she sang it at a lower key than the original. Whether or not it's a redone vocal that's lipped for the Vegas shows, I would need to see the same song recorded at different times. :)

That's one thing I give Whitney credit for during her 2010-2011 low. She was booed, jeered, and basically reviled for destroying her own classic songs, but at least she put in the effort. She could have just lipped them or lipped re-recorded versions of them if she wanted.

Lord knows it would have been easier on her fragile voice and mind.

Mumei

Celine's lipping prowess really should be legendary. I mean, when Mariah does it 99% of the time it is painfully obvious - she has lots of tells from her facial expression, to her gestures and body language, to the simple fact that she often uses the album cuts instead of prerecording new vocals (though she has done that, as well).

But Celine sells it, and that's the way it is.

3phemeral

That's one thing I give Whitney credit for during her 2010-2011 low. She was booed, jeered, and basically reviled for destroying her own classic songs, but at least she put in the effort. She could have just lipped them or lipped re-recorded versions of them if she wanted.

Lord knows it would have been easier on her fragile voice and mind.

Yup. Hate to say it, despite how bad she sounded, she gave that her all. I wished she would have avoided that tour and just did more intimate, spaced-out shows. But I'm guessing she needed the tour money.

Celine's lipping prowess really should be legendary. I mean, when Mariah does it 99% of the time it is painfully obvious - she has lots of tells from her facial expression, to her gestures and body language, to the simple fact that she often uses the album cuts instead of prerecording new vocals (though she has done that, as well).

But Celine sells it, and that's the way it is.

I was so saddened when I discovered some of my favorite "live" performances were lipped. Then it really made sense why she was the only one of the vocal trinity to maintain her voice -- she lipped like crazy! Check out "live" "O Holy Night" vs the album version. Sync them together and weep.

Mariah and Christina have the worst tells. You'd think they'd learn by now, especially Mariah with her GMA snaffu. Christina's tells are obvious if you just watch this whole performance of Hurt on Wetten Dass compared to her live singing of Hurt. Whitney probably would have equally bad tells, but she only did it that once (or twice) and never did it again. [fake edit] Seems she did it on her tour but it appears she didn't even bother pretending like it came out of her mouth.

Mumei

Yup. Hate to say it, despite how bad she sounded, she gave that her all. I wished she would have avoided that tour and just did more intimate, spaced-out shows. But I'm guessing she needed the tour money.

It's sad that she was probably at that state financially.

I was so saddened when I discovered some of my favorite "live" performances were lipped. Then it really made sense why she was the only one of the vocal trinity to maintain her voice -- she lipped like crazy! Check out "live" "O Holy Night" vs the album version. Sync them together and weep.

Yeah, I know about that O Holy Night performance, too. That's what's really impressive about her lipping - she can lip every single note in a song and if you have not heard the studio version or are just sort of inattentive about it, you think it is live.

Christina's tells are obvious if you just watch this whole performance of Hurt on Wetten Dass. Whitney probably would have equally bad tells, but she only did it that once (or twice) and never did it again. [fake edit] Seems she did it on her tour but it appears she didn't even bother pretending like it came out of her mouth.

All I can say is: Those two are no Celine Dion. Christina is particularly bad at lipping, though.

Oh, and incidentally you forgot the Super Bowl performance for Whitney - though her lipping was on point there, probably because she was singing into the mic (even if we weren't hearing what she was singing) and so the mouth movements did not look so unnatural.

3phemeral

Oh, and incidentally you forgot the Super Bowl performance for Whitney - though her lipping was on point there, probably because she was singing into the mic (even if we weren't hearing what she was singing) and so the mouth movements did not look so unnatural.
Oh, that's right. That's understandable, though, given the conditions. I wouldn't consider that as deceptive as say, an award show performance, a tour or a promotional event.

Ties

Banned
LFzI8.jpg

Okay girls...

Starlet or Streetwalker?

Also I'm ready for Rihallah to block Ke$ha's number #1 on the Hot 100. The Ke$ha stans will seethe on the day of JUDGEMENT.
isAHzEZIWGoPn.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
eBRgE.png

-Burning Desire on the 25th*
-iTunes Festival on the 25th
-Ride on the 25th*
-New leak: Velvet Crowbar

*These dates are subject to change, teehehe.

EDIT: FIXED ;_____;

WHAT KIND OF HOLY TUESDAY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom