• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
ch... First the #navy and now the #fighters.

Artemisia is a hot commodity it seems, the first kid chosen to play dodgeball, as it were. Everyone wants him in their stan base.

irvdoffPPBpNV.gif

xaosslug

iTunes isn't the barometer for what's gun be a hit no more, not since Billboard cut 'em off at the knees. LOL

radio is loving it, and once the video hits and goes viral (my prediction - the bts/preview is already over 1mil views) it's gonna go straight to the top.
Cnbw9.gif

xaosslug

eh, songs go #1 on the Hot 100 w/o even breaking the top 3 on iTunes and vice versa, these days. It helps, and it's great for bragging rights, but overall it's ALL about airplay - Billboard made it like that.

Mau ®

eh, songs go #1 on the Hot 100 w/o even breaking the top 3 on iTunes and vice versa, these days. It helps, and it's great for bragging rights, but overall it's ALL about airplay - Billboard made it like that.

While airplay IS the biggest factor (45%) I wouldnt call it THE factor. Overall its a rather balanced formula.

In less than 5 years ON-DEMAND streaming will be what decides the Hot 100 crown. Airplay and digital should be pressed.

Artemisia

Banned
If airplay was so important why didn't Wide Awake and Lights go number 1?

Both were slaying the itunes charts and were like number 1 and 2 on airplay for weeks.

xaosslug

While airplay IS the biggest factor (45%) I wouldnt call it THE factor. Overall its a rather balanced formula.

In less than 5 years ON-DEMAND streaming will be what decides the Hot 100 crown. Airplay and digital should be pressed.

iTunes doesn't matter as much as it used to, and airplay will ALWAYS be the deciding factor. Songs top the Hot 100 solely on purchased downloads all the time, only to drop like a damn rock weeks later because radio isn't supporting/sustaining 'em. And Billboard already takes on demand/paid streaming into account, but even then it has to be massive to make any impact. Billboard will always give radio/airplay the lion's share of importance, because they don't want peeps to abandon the format.

on demand streaming will never take off in the way downloads has. Not with carriers being so damn stingy with data limits.

xaosslug

If airplay was so important why didn't Wide Awake and Lights go number 1?

Both were slaying the itunes charts and were like number 1 and 2 on airplay for weeks.

i'm pretty sure it depends on how many formats you manage to cross over into? M5's latest Hot 100 no.1 crosses over into AC (M5 is like a younger-skewed Train, IMO) and rock and pop, doesn't it? And Taylor Swift is country but crosses over to a bunch of formats, much like Adele, who crosses over into a lot of dif. formats herself. The more formats you can cross over into = easier shot @ no.1.

Mau ®

iTunes doesn't matter as much as it used to, and airplay will ALWAYS be the deciding factor. Songs top the Hot 100 solely on purchased downloads all the time, only to drop like a damn rock weeks later because radio isn't supporting/sustaining 'em. And Billboard already takes on demand/paid streaming into account, but even then it has to be massive to make any impact. Billboard will always give radio/airplay the lion's share of importance, because they don't want peeps to abandon the format.

on demand streaming will never take off in the way downloads has. Not with carriers being so damn stingy with data limits.

Never take off like downloads? The way these services are exploding its bound to overtale downloads in a few years. This was posted by Billboard themselves.

Streaming was upped from 10% to 20% recently. Its obvious its on an upward trend.

Carriers are stingy about it now but once better infrastructure is added costs will come down and hopefully prices too. Its not gonna br a foreever thing.

And quit trying to downplay the digital format. Bring me an example of a song that went #1 on the BB100 that WASNT in the itunes Top 10 at the time. A 10% difference between the formats doesnt make airplay the ULTIMATE factor. You still need to do well across the board. Taylor's latest single has been missing out on the #1 on a couple of ocassions due to not being available on streaming services despite slayage on radio and digital.

Majmun

Chart Juice: Beyonce's 'Dance For You' Hits Top 10

Beyoncé's album "4" nabs its fourth top 10 hit single
"Dance For You" also gives Beyoncé her 19th top 10 as a soloist, extending her lead for the most top 10s among female artists since 2000.

More impressively, on the Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop airplay chart (viewable on billboard.biz), "Dance For You" marks her fifth top 10 -- the first time she's claimed five top 10s on that tally from one album.

http://www.billboard.com/news#/colu...beyonce-s-dance-for-you-hits-1007954592.story

i4be9a0JpTIEM.gif

xaosslug

Never take off like downloads? The way these services are exploding its bound to overtale downloads in a few years. This was posted by Billboard themselves.

Streaming was upped from 10% to 20% recently. Its obvious its on an upward trend.

Carriers are stingy about it now but once better infrastructure is added costs will come down and hopefully prices too. Its not gonna br a foreever thing.

And quit trying to downplay the digital format. Bring me an example of a song that went #1 on the BB100 that WASNT in the itunes Top 10 at the time. A 10% difference between the formats doesnt make airplay the ULTIMATE factor. You still need to do well across the board. Taylor's latest single has been missing out on the #1 on a couple of ocassions due to not being available on streaming services despite slayage on radio and digital.

Rhapsody sure did snatch iTunes' wig, huh? oh, wait.

streaming won't take off in the same way digital dowmloads, labels won't let it because it is viewed as a 'negative' factor to sales. I don't think Apple won't let it either, because it's counter intuitive to iTunes. Also, carriers are being bitches with data, so there's that against it, too. Spotify is hip and trendy RIGHT NOW but it won't be sustained, IMO. I can see it gaining some headway if someone like Amazon/Google/Microsoft snatch it up and use it to counter Apple/iTunes, but until then it will middle and die out when peeps lose interest.

and, one hand does wash the other. When a song goes #1 Hot 100 of course it rises on iTunes due to exposure and vice versa, but it's pretty obvious how much pull radio has when a song has massive digital sales straight out the gate and lands @ #1, only to drop like a cinder block once sales wane, and there's barely any radio airplay to support/sustain it. But, the opposite is true with radio/airplay. A song can slow-crawl up the charts due to airplay ALONE and once peeps catch notice of it it ignites and catches fire on iTunes...

in closing:

fbrxL.gif

xaosslug

JoJo performing "Demonstrate" live

I am SLAYED. Now where the hell is that video?

local?
NrCBq.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-BVD6Fz7M&feature=youtu.be

messing with my iPhone I'm coming for your fav's wigs lol

I wonder why Your Body and The Kiss aren't doing better...? It's very odd I thought they would be at least in the top 20 by now. Christina needs one big top 10 hit to solidify she's back I believe even Not Myself Tonight entered the Top 20.

Who produced Diamonds from Ri???

are you being serious? Your Body was released last week. Get yourself all together, please.

Wa7at.gif

royalan

ysutL.jpg

#DIVA

iWTbI6OaY5qSf.gif

What's with the same hair with these two just now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xQKL_0L97Wk

I like how confident she sounded there.

Plus DEM LEGS!

Xtina has been rocking colored highlights since her debut.

Not to mention, I don't like when Britney does stuff like this now. Xtina is still young and crazy and uninhibited, so when she does crazy colors it's believable. Britney's completely restricted, under a conservatorship and over her career, so when she does these "fun" styles it just looks like someone dressed her up.

Plus, why does she always sound so congested?

royalan

I'm actually not liking these looks.

Looks like a rejected Jersey Shore character. So tacky looking IMO.

That's the point, bb.

Xtina's playing a trailer-trash diva who goes out for a day of trashy adventure. ALL of her looks for this video have been hella trashy-chic.

hmdIW.gif

Trigger

Xtina's styling this era reminds me of her Dirty phase. She had great music, but looked like a mess. If the songs are just as good then I'm here for it.

JoJo performing "Demonstrate" live

I am SLAYED. Now where the hell is that video?

JoJo deserves so much more. She has tons of potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-BVD6Fz7M&feature=youtu.be

messing with my iPhone I'm coming for your fav's wigs lol

lol

Still better than Rihanna's vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom