• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
ixrU7HmivVYDN.gif

Bladenic

I still say give it a bit more time. It's only been on the charts 2 weeks. PLENTY of songs have debuted similarly (or worse, hi "Moves Like Jagger") and went on to become hits. And she hasn't even performed it yet. It's position on iTunes has remained relatively stable (barring some Glee songs bursting on charts and making it yo-yo up and down a few slots), and on radio it managed to survive the ONSLAUGHT of singles and still gain in audience impressions, which I hear is a good thing (ITZ?).

To me it seems like there's still a slim chance for the song to do well if she starts promoting it soon. Now, WHY she hasn't gone out on the promo trail for the single yet is anyone's guess. ;________;

Not saying it can't happen, but in this day and age, a pop single like that is generally not a slow burner. Most songs that are slow burners are songs of a different genre, or from a new act (like Ellie for example). Christina is neither, but it remains to be seen.

Absolutely terrible promotion though. Christina really should be working her ass off right now to promote this album.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I really just wanted to start the page off with some Xtina positivity. The Fighters have been Fighting for some time, and I wanted to give them a break. I'm pledging to not shade Xtina in this thread for an undetermined amount of time.

royalan

Not saying it can't happen, but in this day and age, a pop single like that is generally not a slow burner. Most songs that are slow burners are songs of a different genre, or from a new act (like Ellie for example). Christina is neither, but it remains to be seen.

Absolutely terrible promotion though. Christina really should be working her ass off right now to promote this album.

Tons of pop songs have started off this way, most notable of which being Moves Like Jagger.

Koodo

Banned
Let's febreze the foul scent of utter failure with a celebration of one of the most successful careers in music history:

THIRTY YEARS AGO TO THIS DAY, Mad-onna released her debut single Everybody. In the following three decades, she would come to define pop music several times, break multiple records, and inspire all our faves.

ifAPvGnLcEeCS.gif

Her longevity and global influence led her to release a subpar album that still managed to scan over a million units worldwide and launch what will become one of the highest grossing tours in history. Despite deserving a decade of shade for Hard Calcium and MDOA, one look at her storied career is enough to BOW DOWN in RESPECT.

That, and Confessions On A Dancefloor still shits on your faves. Now shut the fuck up and

ibnegNGUCMQYJ9.gif

botty

Banned
"NICKI MINAJ BITCHY TO MARIAH FOR YEARS"

Nicki Minaj was supremely disrespectful to Mariah Carey 2 years before she exploded on the set of "American Idol" this week ... TMZ has learned.

Nicki and Mariah teamed up in 2010 for a music video -- "Up Out My Face." Nicki wasn't nearly as big at the time -- Mariah was, and we're told she felt like she was helping launch Nicki's career.

1005-b-scott-mariah-carey-2.jpg

B. Scott, who's big on the Internet, appeared in the video. He tells TMZ ... "Mariah went out of her way to be nice to Nicki and make her comfortable." But B. Scott says Nicki was a raving bitch, "making faces at her [Mariah] laced with rude comments under her breath."

B. Scott says he blew the whistle on Nicki by giving Mariah the low down. B. Scott says Mariah decided not to confront Nicki and acted as if nothing had happened.

A source close to Nicki tells TMZ ... B. Scott is a liar because, "He works as Mariah's stunt double and of course he would say things like that. He's worked for her for years."

B. Scott says he stayed in touch with Mariah and spoke with her Thursday night. Mariah says she wants to bury the hatchet with Nicki on "A.I." and focus on the contestants.

Good luck with that.

waiT...

A source close to Nicki tells TMZ ... B. Scott is a liar because, "He works as Mariah's stunt double and of course he would say things like that. He's worked for her for years."

ibsuDIt4qoAGBJ.gif

Mau ®

I still say give it a bit more time. It's only been on the charts 2 weeks. PLENTY of songs have debuted similarly (or worse, hi "Moves Like Jagger") and went on to become hits.

Sis MLJ debuted at #8 on the Hot 100.

And she hasn't even performed it yet. It's position on iTunes has remained relatively stable (barring some Glee songs bursting on charts and making it yo-yo up and down a few slots), and on radio it managed to survive the ONSLAUGHT of singles and still gain in audience impressions, which I hear is a good thing (ITZ?).

Its not doing well at all on itunes IMO. Its still dropping (currently at #50) even tho the video has been logging pretty impressive number of views.

As for radio. Its getting low but consistent updates. Its still early to call flop but its not looking too promising IMO.

Let's febreze the foul scent of utter failure with a celebration of one of the most successful careers in music history:

THIRTY YEARS AGO TO THIS DAY, Mad-onna released her debut single Everybody. In the following three decades, she would come to define pop music several times, break multiple records, and inspire all our faves.

ifAPvGnLcEeCS.gif

Her longevity and global influence led her to release a subpar album that still managed to scan over a million units worldwide and launch what will become one of the highest grossing tours in history. Despite deserving a decade of shade for Hard Calcium and MDOA, one look at her storied career is enough to BOW DOWN in RESPECT.

That, and Confessions On A Dancefloor still shits on your faves. Now shut the fuck up and

ibnegNGUCMQYJ9.gif

ik1OSELZdtfIr.gif

Bladenic

Tons of pop songs have started off this way, most notable of which being Moves Like Jagger.

LOL what? Moves like Jagger debuted at #8 on Hot 100 in the second week of July. It fell off a bit after that, but it reached #1 in Sept., almost exactly 2 months after it debuted, aka 8 weeks. That is not a slow burner. The fact that it remained big for months doesn't make it a slow burner LOL, it means it had longetivity.

Slow burners are songs like Lights, that took like what? 30 weeks to reach the top 10. If Your Body does that, then great, but it's highly unlikely. Like I said, established pop stars, especially in this digital age with frontloaded and big debuts, do not have slow burners. If you can think of some REAL examples, feel free to correct me.

royalan

If you can think of some REAL examples, feel free to correct me.

LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It - released September 2011, hit #1 on Billboard January 2012

Rihanna - We Found Love - didn't hit #1 until it's 6th week, and debuted outside the top 10

Adele - Set Fire To The Rain - 21 Weeks on the chart before hitting #1

Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - officially debuted on the chart in the 60s and didn't go Top 10 until weeks later

And that's just 2012. All pop artists, none of them new, and all of them except We Found Love debuted relatively low on the charts and had to work their way up in a longer amount of time than the two weeks people have given Your Body before labeling it a hopeless flop.

I'm not arguing that YB isn't underperforming. It is (;_____;), but I don't think slowburning singles are impossible in Pop. Especially since Your Body really wasn't all that frontloaded. Sure, it had a radio deal, but it had also leaked the month before. And outside of the stans there was VERY little pre-release hype. No iTunes borders. Hell, not even a lyric video.

If this were the NMT situation, where she was actively promoting the song and it was still sinking, I'd agree. But with so much promotion having not been done yet, I still think there's room for this single to grow IF XTINA FUCKING GETS OFF HER ASS AND PUTS SOME WORK IN (GAHHHH!!!!!11111!).

Bladenic

LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It - released September 2011, hit #1 on Billboard January 2012

Rihanna - We Found Love - didn't hit #1 until it's 6th week, and debuted outside the top 10

Adele - Set Fire To The Rain - 21 Weeks on the chart before hitting #1

Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - officially debuted on the chart in the 60s and didn't go Top 10 until weeks later

And that's just 2012. All pop artists, none of them new, and all of them except We Found Love debuted relatively low on the charts and had to work their way up in a longer amount of time than the two weeks people have given Your Body before labeling it a hopeless flop.

I'm not arguing that YB isn't underperforming. It is (;_____;), but I don't think slowburning singles are impossible in Pop. Especially since Your Body really wasn't all that frontloaded. Sure, it had a radio deal, but it had also leaked the month before. And outside of the stans there was VERY little pre-release hype. No iTunes borders. Hell, not even a lyric video.

If this were the NMT situation, where she was actively promoting the song and it was still sinking, I'd agree. But with so much promotion having not been done yet, I still think there's room for this single to grow IF XTINA FUCKING GETS OFF HER ASS AND PUTS SOME WORK IN (GAHHHH!!!!!11111!).

Haha like I said it could happen. But I don't think those songs you listed count as slow burners at all. You seem to think debuting low on the charts means slow burner, it doesn't. 6 weeks to reach the top 10 is about the farthest thing from slow burner ever. 6-8 weeks isn't all that much in radio at all. Like I said, a song like Lights, now that's a slow burner, taking months to reach the top 10. Set Fire to the Rain kind of counts, however, I think that song was on the charts before officially being a single, or Rolling in the Deep slaying for years kept it back.

But like I said, it could happen for Xtina. I'd be happy if it does, it's an alright song and she needs it.

royalan

Haha like I said it could happen. But I don't think those songs you listed count as slow burners at all. You seem to think debuting low on the charts means slow burner, it doesn't. 6 weeks to reach the top 10 is about the farthest thing from slow burner ever. 6-8 weeks isn't all that much in radio at all. Like I said, a song like Lights, now that's a slow burner, taking months to reach the top 10. Set Fire to the Rain kind of counts, however, I think that song was on the charts before officially being a single, or Rolling in the Deep slaying for years kept it back.

But like I said, it could happen for Xtina. I'd be happy if it does, it's an alright song and she needs it.

But Your Body is doomed because it hasn't reached the Top 10 in 2?

this stan is clinging to hope

Bladenic

But Your Body is doomed because it hasn't reached the Top 10 in 2?

this stan is clinging to hope

Oh no, I didn't say it was. It's not looking great, but it could still be a hit. I still wouldn't call it a slow burner though.

Ahh but who gives a fuq what it is as long as it's successful, m i rite?

Mau ®

Rih slayed the UF-17 Festival in Azerbaijan. Loved her look.

bakuperform.jpg

Apparently she's also shooting the video for Diamonds there as well but that has yet to confirmed.

royalan

Her tattoos are just... gross.

I'd love to visit Azerbaijan, looked beautiful during Eurovision.

Agreed. Nothing makes a person look as permanently dirty as messy ink.

She's also starting to look older than she is, though that might be the makeup.

Other than that, this short hair is really starting to do it for me. #Diamonds

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bey is just the best performer there is currently. All of our faves pale in comparison to her.

I miss Beyonce

I'm excited for whatever she does next

She will slay, as per

And I will gladly deal.

Majmun

ibqdzoyau1H6X0.gif

Still slaying, even after pregnancy. Who else? Most of our faves became glorified housewives after giving birth. But not Bey.

Bey's next album will annihilate the competition. You could call 4 a flop, but we can't get enough of it, seeing how its 6th single is still on the charts. With no promo and all.

The Carter family will keep on giving........and receiving
i4caFXYy915z6.gif

I love Rhianna's "Diamonds" now. It took me a while, but I finally gave in. Oh, and not only that, I'm digging Jessie Ware's "Wildest Moments". What kind of flop taste am I developing? xD

Hello pop-gaf. I'm not sure what the general consensus is on this artist, but I was in her music video! I'm in the beige jacket toward the beginning :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqz713hhz1Y
POPGAF back off of this cutie, because I claim OrangeGrayBlue. *fans self off* Not only that, Cher Lloyd is great. I need to check out her album, since I love this "Oath" song (you made it a lot better OGB *wink*), and "Want U Back".

DMeisterJ

Banned
RIHANNA – Diamonds: 44.706 (+ 5.209)

I didn't post the other update numbers for today cause, who cares? Highest update today.

#NAVY #ShineBrightLikeADiamond

Oh, and #DIAMONDS debuted at #1 in the UK. What kind of slayage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom