• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

"Marry the Night" mess
"Born This Way" mess
"Government Hooker" lyfe
"Judas" mess
"Americano" mess
"Hair" mess
"Scheiße" lyfe
"Bloody Mary" HIT
"Bad Kids" mess
"Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)" mess
"Heavy Metal Lover" YAS
"Electric Chapel" mess
"Yoü and I" no
"The Edge of Glory" blah

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't know why "Bad Kids" is almost universally considered a flop song; at the time, it was one of the only tolerable things on that rancid sack of garbage album.

"Americano" is objectively one of the worst things ever recorded.

Bladenic

I don't know why "Bad Kids" is almost universally considered a flop song; at the time, it was one of the only tolerable things on that rancid sack of garbage album.

"Americano" is objectively one of the worst things ever recorded.

This. I like Bad Kids, You and I, and Born this Way only for being really catchy today. When the album came out I liked a lot of it, but upon subsequent listens to most of the songs, it got worse and worse. Not like TFM which I listened to for months.

T0UP9.png

ec20fb7f.gif

For comparison:

3zJvA.png

ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif

Wow, if anyone's watching X-Factor UK right now...#MESS

So Louis (one of the judges) was the deciding vote on whether or not some horrible male disco singer or a (pretty decent) female country singer would advance. The country singer had two votes, and Louis' only choice really was to save her. Seriously, the guy singer was incredibly bad.

Unsurprisingly, he's in Nicole Shitsinger's group.

Instead, the sequence of events was as follows beginning with the sing-off:

1) Disco guy forgets lyrics, pulls mic away to hide it, barely sings...secondhand embarrassment off the charts.

2) Country girl sings a great song and puts her heart and soul into it.

3) It goes down to Louis and he says he'll save the girl. She's overwhelmed with joy.

4) He changes his mind and says it's too close, so they should go into deadlock to see who actually got the lowest number of votes. Audience boos are deafeningly loud.

5) Country singer ends up going home.

How I've missed the drama. X-Factor USA better bring it
grin.gif

Trigger

Born This Way on release was pretty damn espectacular but I didnt use it after a couple of weeks, and I certainly don't use it now.

"You & I" & "Heavy Metal Lover" are probably the only songs from that album I still check for.

EDIT: 1500 posts to OT3!!!!

My how times flies.

Bladenic

Wow, if anyone's watching X-Factor UK right now...#MESS

So Louis (one of the judges) was the deciding vote on whether or not some horrible male disco singer or a (pretty decent) female country singer would advance. The country singer had two votes, and Louis' only choice really was to save her. Seriously, the guy singer was incredibly bad.

Unsurprisingly, he's in Nicole Shitsinger's group.

Instead, the sequence of events was as follows beginning with the sing-off:

1) Disco guy forgets lyrics, pulls mic away to hide it, barely sings...secondhand embarrassment off the charts.

2) Country girl sings a great song and puts her heart and soul into it.

3) It goes down to Louis and he says he'll save the girl. She's overwhelmed with joy.

4) He changes his mind and says it's too close, so they should go into deadlock to see who actually got the lowest number of votes. Audience boos are deafeningly loud.

5) Country singer ends up going home.

How I've missed the drama. X-Factor USA better bring it
grin.gif

Sounds like exactly the Rachel Crow fiasco. Horrible.

A country singer though? Didn't think country was big outside of the US, unless you mean UK country, which I don't know what that is.

royalan

This. I like Bad Kids, You and I, and Born this Way only for being really catchy today. When the album came out I liked a lot of it, but upon subsequent listens to most of the songs, it got worse and worse. Not like TFM which I listened to for months.

Born This Way on release was pretty damn espectacular but I didnt use it after a couple of weeks, and I certainly don't use it now.

"You & I" & "Heavy Metal Lover" are probably the only songs from that album I still check for.

EDIT: 1500 posts to OT3!!!!

That sensation you guys are experiencing? The feeling of "this album was so good at first!"

Yeah, that's called "stanning for hype."

Bladenic

That sensation you guys are experiencing? The feeling of "this album was so good at first!"

Yeah, that's called "stanning for hype."

Yes, this is why I sometimes tend to (not always, guilty) not really say anything about a new release, no matter the medium, until I give it time to sink in, replay/rewatch/relisten a few times. Too often has my opinion changed down the road.

Aguila

#ICONIC
you know, I really can't with y'all. You all really do sound like a bunch of catty so and so's gossiping about that 'new gurl' on the scene that has all the boys' attentions. I went in expecting the worst and no - Christina was articulate and about hers, yet... tremendous waves of negativity. Some of you REALLY need to look @ yourselves and ask WHY this woman got you all spooked (well, I think I know... but you all just refuse to admit it to yourself).

Nobody has it in for Xtina. She is shaded a lot because she makes it so easy for people to do. And lol at you using that "new gurl" analogy. If anything, it's more like us gossiping about a struggling actor on stage or about a singer who forgot the words to the National Anthem during the Super Bowl.

Bladenic

Nobody has it in for Xtina. She is shaded a lot because she makes it so easy for people to do. And lol at you using that "new gurl" analogy. If anything, it's more like us gossiping about a struggling actor on stage or about a singer who forgot the words to the National Anthem during the Super Bowl.

I've learned to just ignore everything that poster posts in this topic.

Trigger

Mmhm. Xtina is just an easy target, but I don't think anyone really hates her.

Koodo

Banned
New Xtina Interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XQUkmVarsRc#!

Dead @ how narcissistic and self absorbed she sounds tho.

&

dead @ "Bionic surpassed time". ch....................................................
Revolting inside and out. It's impressive how blind she is to the grotesque elephant in the room that doomed her career: making SHIT music.

Hm. She sort of reminded me of Cyndi Lauper in that video, in the way she looked. Does anyone else see it?
She reminded me of someone else.

w6J6E.jpg

royalan

Revolting inside and out. It's impressive how blind she is to the grotesque elephant in the room that doomed her career: making SHIT music.

She reminded me of someone else.

w6J6E.jpg

You keep trying it with that picture. -_-

It's not going to happen.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I got so used to having that poll stuck at the top that now I wish there were another one.

Let's do "all-time fiercest on-stage outfit"

xaosslug

that's NOT really it. Many on here take issue with ANYTHING she says/does. It's really transparent and sickening, too.

bold: no, but that's the way it comes off - the way many in here just huddle together and pick her apart about ANYTHING, just because. I mean really - it's offensive that she thinks highly of her own music? Really?! Should she just release songs that have nothing to do with her and she feels no investment in emotionally, and when an era is done write it off? Would that make her more palatable to peeps on here? I really cannot @ peeps even TRYING to justify the irrational, visceral hate she seems to incite within them (look @ Koodo's post...).

STgdl.gif

I've learned to just ignore everything that poster posts in this topic.

7LXno.gif

Leona's official SoundCloud posted extended snippets of her album today.

"Fireflies" might be my favorite thing ever. Even if it's not a single, it's certainly coming to a million film trailers near you.

I can already tell I'm going to be skipping "When It Hurts" :-\

And is that a whistle note in "Shake You Up"? Next week can't come soon enough
angry.gif

3phemeral

New Xtina Interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XQUkmVarsRc#!

Dead @ how narcissistic and self absorbed she sounds tho.

&

dead @ "Bionic surpassed time". ch....................................................

That interview is the norm for her, aside from the "surpassed it's time," which I'm shocked because she normally doesn't describe anything she's done like that. Then again, it is her first major flop, so I can understand her being defensive.

What I do find irritating, though, is she's so repetitive with the concepts of her albums. She never ever goes into heavy detail other than whatever catchphrase she deems representative of the motif.

For Lotus, I don't expect her to say absolutely anything about what it means other than just "a flower that grows in all conditions." I wish she could give some kind of indication she's picked up a book and actually read the heavy amount of religious symbolism it carries. Otherwise, I want an interviewer to go in and actually press her on details. Heaven forbid she actually gives competent answers about her own artwork.

Bladenic

that's NOT really it. Many on here take issue with ANYTHING she says/does. It's really transparent and sickening, too.

bold: no, but that's the way it comes off - the way many in here just huddle together and pick her apart about ANYTHING, just because. I mean really - it's offensive that she thinks highly of her own music? Really?! Should she just release songs that have nothing to do with her and she feels no investment in emotionally, and when an era is done write it off? Would that make her more palatable to peeps on here? I really cannot @ peeps even TRYING to justify the irrational, visceral hate she seems to incite within them (look @ Koodo's post...).

STgdl.gif

7LXno.gif

I love your boxoffice threads though! :)

Listening to the Glassheart snippets. Does Trouble sound different? Seems to have more instruments, could be wrong though.

Trigger

Leona's official SoundCloud posted extended snippets of her album today.

"Fireflies" might be my favorite thing ever. Even if it's not a single, it's certainly coming to a million film trailers near you.

I can already tell I'm going to be skipping "When It Hurts" :-\

And is that a whistle note in "Shake You Up"? Next week can't come soon enough
angry.gif

Gosh, I think Happy was used in every inspirational movie's trailer. I hate when good songs get overexposed.

royalan

For Lotus, I don't expect her to say absolutely anything about what it means other than just "a flower that grows in all conditions." I wish she could give some kind of indication she's picked up a book and actually read the heavy amount of religious symbolism it carries. Otherwise, I want an interviewer to go in and actually press her on details. Heaven forbid she actually gives competent answers about her own artwork.

...what?

I haven't spoken up in defense of the good sis xaosslug yet because GURL has proven capable of handling her own damn business (much like our fave), but it's posts like these that prove her exactly right about the amount of REACHING people do to disapprove of everything Xtina does sometimes.

So, because she hasn't posted a thesis on her website detailing at length the historical, philosophical, and religious connotations surrounding the lotus flower she can't use it as her album title?

You are making absolutely zero zilch nada sense right now.

The lotus flower IS a flower that is known to grow in pretty harsh conditions and still blooms beautifully and thrives. She is using this as a metaphor for her own growth as a woman, a mother, and an artist. That's really all there is to it (in regards to her album).

...what?

I haven't spoken up in defense of the good sis xaosslug yet because GURL has proven capable of handling her own damn business (much like our fave), but it's posts like these that prove her exactly right about the amount of REACHING people do to disapprove of everything Xtina does sometimes.

So, because she hasn't posted a thesis on her website detailing at length the historical, philosophical, and religious connotations surrounding the lotus flower she can't use it as her album title?

You are making absolutely zero zilch nada sense right now.

The lotus flower IS a flower that is known to grow in pretty harsh conditions and still blooms beautifully and thrives. She is using this as a metaphor for her own growth as a woman, a mother, and an artist. That's really all there is to it (in regards to her album).
Yeah, I prefer that artists go with simple ideas that don't require much explanation.

- Lotus
- Glass Heart
- Femme Fatale
- Warrior

It's self-masturbatory enigmatic crap like ARTPOP (which may actually require a doctoral dissertation to make sense of) that makes me shake my damn head.

Bladenic

Yeah, I prefer that artists go with simple ideas that don't require much explanation.

- Lotus
- Glass Heart
- Femme Fatale
- Warrior

It's self-masturbatory enigmatic crap like ARTPOP (which may actually require a doctoral dissertation to make sense of) that makes me shake my damn head.

iCYClbVpNzK9S.gif

No lies spotted though.

tumblr_maof55vFYt1qc8ngyo1_400.gif

royalan

Yeah, I mean, that's a given for sure. Perhaps I'll change it to "fiercest -- other than the most iconic costume on God's green earth."

Grace Jones could probably punch all of our faves out of the game with a single evening's worth of changes:

ec20fb7f.gif
OMG GRACE SO ICONIC I CANNOT
ec20fb7f.gif

Truly in her own lane. None of our faves could. Well, one of our faves tried it, but that tea was righteously spilled:

“I really don’t think of her at all. I go about my business,” Grace told the UK’s Guardian newspaper after the former Studio 54 star and one-time Andy Warhol muse was asked what she thought of the modern day headline grabbing pop singer.

The singer/model/actress and all around legend told the newspaper that the reports were true – Gaga had asked to collaborate with her — but Grace turned Gaga down.

“Yes, she did, but I said no,” Grace said. “I’d just prefer to work with someone who is more original and someone who is not copying me, actually.”

Grace, who has been hitting the stage across Europe recently in a host of eye-catching, outlandish stage outfits, was asked if she thinks Gaga borrowed style ideas from the icon, something the legend didn’t say no to.

“Well, you know, I’ve seen some things she’s worn that I’ve worn, and that does kind of piss me off,” she told the newspaper.

Grace, who is in her 60’s and was once a Bond girl, added that she likely wouldn’t be checking Gaga out in concert.

“I wouldn’t go to see her,” she said.

id0GRaJgNndgk.gif

HALCYON OCTOBER 9TH IN THE US YA'LL, DON'T FORGET.
ELLIE IS COMING FOR ADULL'S, LEONA HEWIS'
bhuHH.gif
, AND ALL THE BRITISH POP ARTISTS' WIGS.

tumblr_m9w90i05hm1qhdjtco1_500.gif

#HalcyonSemiWorldDomination2012
#HalcyonWorldDomination2014

Much love to you GAF Leona. This board wouldn't be the same without you, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom