• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
It's always a joke. I just thought, based on her own words, that it was a joke that she didn't find funny. She didn't want to slice THEN but NOW she wants to slice? Hmph...

Guess things change. But next time Madonna (or any other celeb), calls her out and throws that #TRUETEA right in her face she better take it like a woman instead of crying about it.

And the plastic surgery, I guess I'm wrong, but I could have swore I saw some people talking about how she got a little nip/tuck recently. :/
That was not a slice; and certainly not equivalent to the "pre-packaged, mass-produced product fed to blind monsters" message that Madonna displayed on the backdrop in tandem with Born This Way, which could be taken to cross the boundaries of JOKE. Much like the video noted, Gaga wasn't talking about humorous digs but rather messages intended to hurt. She has yet to indulge in that behaviour, as far as I know.

Gaga had collagen injections allegedly, but that's not exactly relevant. Born This Way's preaching about loving one's self does not preclude plastic surgery; it's a statement for accepting the person, which includes arbitrary traits like the color of their skin to non-arbitrary traits like an affinity for plastic surgery.

BESIDES, the Girdle Factory you stan for has a similar anthem and we don't need to mention her shoddy breast work.

iRlzHrqx22mig.gif

Now that you mention it. Dont think I've ever seen him talk about anything besides her success lol
but then again a stan doesnt have to talk about their fave 24/7 to be a stan so who knows he most likely is an Adele stan tho..
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif
Receipts are WRIT in STONE; many people seem unaware there is a '21' OT.

I started stanning for ADELE after her interview with Chelsea Lately. She's just tew adorable, and refreshingly raw and candid. Her album is not my favorite, but she deserves every copy sold.

And it's always nice to hear someone belt correctly.

No, Gaga can cry about it and play the victim. She already stated how she was crying all through the BTW era because people just wanted to see her fail and destroy her message

She is human after all, she doesn't have to keep it in all the time. She has been holding back on Madonna for far too long, today she let out a joke but clearly is not the route she wants to go because she deleted it

and she has already put her money where her mouth is http://bornthiswayfoundation.org/
a little shade here and there doesn't delude her message

iDVaw2NeCveWi.gif

So many double standards where this trollop is concerned.
Rihanna does drugs and she's a horrible person.
Gaga does them and it's enhancing her creativity.
Chris Brown deletes tweets and he's a little bitch.
Gaga does it because she's better than that.

If she wants to be anti-whateverthefuck, but how about educating her "children" on how its not cool to wish death on people? She DILUTES her own message with these antics.

Y'all can give up your coins, tokens, and doubloons for her charlatanry, but I'm not here for it.
ibaOfvbH6XRa8N.gif

Nemesis_

BESIDES, the Girdle Factory you stan for has a similar anthem and we don't need to mention her shoddy breast work.

Htmal.gif

iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

eKhK8.gif

iDVaw2NeCveWi.gif

So many double standards where this trollop is concerned.
Rihanna does drugs and she's a horrible person.
Gaga does them and it's enhancing her creativity.
Chris Brown deletes tweets and he's a little bitch.
Gaga does it because she's better than that.

If she wants to be anti-whateverthefuck, but how about educating her "children" on how its not cool to wish death on people? She DILUTES her own message with these antics.

Y'all can give up your coins, tokens, and doubloons for her charlatanry, but I'm not here for it.
ibaOfvbH6XRa8N.gif

Yes because DRUG USE and DELETING OF TWEETS are the only reasons someone would come to said conclusions about RIHANNA and CHRIS BROWN.

mcvlS.gif

royalan

That was not a slice; and certainly not equivalent to the "pre-packaged, mass-produced product fed to blind monsters" message that Madonna displayed on the backdrop in tandem with Born This Way, which could be taken to cross the boundaries of JOKE. Much like the video noted, Gaga wasn't talking about humorous digs but rather messages intended to hurt. She has yet to indulge in that behaviour, as far as I know.

Sis, not that I necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but I have to point out that there's very little, if any, difference in the bolded when it comes to perception.

Madonna could have meant it as a joke (heck, she's said as much) while Gaga read it as a message intended to hurt. It's all context.

This excuse doesn't give Gaga the window to throw shade and not be a bloody hypocrite just because you choose to not read it as a message intended to hurt. Just as your "girdle factory" comment about Xtina could be construed as a message intended to hurt, so could Gaga's cosigning an image that "jokingly" implied killing Madonna (and, by proxy, the subsequent "DIE BITCH!" messages that followed).

As I said, if you want to be above the shade be above the shade. But you don't get to dip in and out at your leisure and not be called out. Kinda rings true for this entire era for Gaga, actually.

That's not an appropriate description for what Adele calls "belting." LITERALLY THROAT-DESTROYING. Vocal node surgery this early in the game? Ch...

Sis, I'm not judging her for the shade. I'm HERE for the shade.

I'm judging her because of the timing of the shade.

Basically, where was this attitude MONTHS AGO when Madonna had her hair slicked back, her earrings off, and was banging on Gaga's front door? Madonna was ready to LIGHT THAT ASS UP about not paying homage for Born This Way and I would have been ALL HERE FOR IT if Gaga stood her ground and was like "And WHAT, trick!? My steelo is better anyway!"

But she didn't. She too cute for it THEN. She was above it all THEN.

But now, all after-the-fact, when the dust has settled, she wants to be all BOUT THAT LIFE!? Ch...NOT HERE FOR IT.

You can't take the high road, BRAG about being on the high road, and then jump off at the CUSP of everything and still think you're better because you started off on the high road. It doesn't matter if you started off on the high road if you're NOW in the mud with the rest of the PIGS. At the end of the day YOU'RE STILL DIRTY.
iW6UPJiF6JUZm.gif

Yes, ma'am.

Yes because DRUG USE and DELETING OF TWEETS are the only reasons someone would come to said conclusions about RIHANNA and CHRIS BROWN.

ibo3uo0hEAKOSG.gif

YOU can stay pressed about Rihanna and Chris. Rihanna's non singin ass is still making music I like, so I'm not worried about that. And Chris didn't whoop my ass so I'm unbothered by that as well.

Nemesis_

ibo3uo0hEAKOSG.gif

YOU can stay pressed about Rihanna and Chris. Rihanna's non singin ass is still making music I like, so I'm not worried about that. And Chris didn't whoop my ass so I'm unbothered by that as well.

I'm not pressed about either of them, just pointing out how stupid your comparison is.

Mumei

That's not an appropriate description for what Adele calls "belting." LITERALLY THROAT-DESTROYING. Vocal node surgery this early in the game? Ch...

To be fair, Adele's surgery was to remove a throat polyp. She started having vocal problems in May of last year, when she felt a tearing sensation in her throat which was later diagnosed as a hemorrhage. She was put on vocal rest, but her problems resumed in October. Her doctors then discovered the polyp on her vocal cords.

And it is worth noting that it is possible that it was probably not problems with her technique alone that caused this. Smoking can both cause and exacerbate vocal nodules and polyps, and contribute to hemorrhaging.

royalan

To be fair, Adele's surgery was to remove a throat polyp. She started having vocal problems in May of last year, when she felt a tearing sensation in her throat which was later diagnosed as a hemorrhage. She was put on vocal rest, but her problems resumed in October. Her doctors then discovered the polyp on her vocal cords.

And it is worth noting that it is possible that it was probably not problems with her technique alone that caused this. Smoking can both cause and exacerbate vocal nodules and polyps, and contribute to hemorrhaging.

Hmmm...so the singer with the overly-throaty, poorly-placed upper belts has surgery on her vocal chords and it's NOT because of the shoddy technique?

Not to say her smoking habit didn't play a significant role but Mumei, you're trying to mask the #truetea here and you know it.

There are an elite group of singers out there who could be used to highlight Xtina's technical faults, but Adele ain't one of them. Or do I have to spam Dusti next time I'm in the DJ room to remind you? ;)

Clearly not, Confessions was one of the best pop albums and still is.

But Hard Candy and MDNA? Pls.

Way to misinterpret things, but why am I not surprised?

Is it 2004 again and someone didn't tell me?

I'll give you MDNA. But Hard Candy is good, to me. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it bad. Right?
1. Candy Shop
2. 4 Minutes
3. Give It 2 Me
4. Heartbeat
5. Miles Away
6. She's Not Me
7. Incredible
8. Beat Goes On
9. Dance 2night
10. Spanish Lesson
11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
12. Voices
Let's not presume that our opinions are fact. The fact that your fave is HOT SHIT right now doesn't preclude her from being tomorrows where are they now. Madonna may have released a flop album a time or two in her career. But your faves career is in its infancy, and the public's attention span ain't what it used to be.
ibseu030O30MaB.gif

Mumei

Hmmm...so the singer with the overly-throaty, poorly-placed upper belts has surgery on her vocal chords and it's NOT because of the shoddy technique?

Not to say her smoking habit didn't play a significant role but Mumei, you're trying to mask the #truetea here and you know it.

There are an elite group of singers out there who could be used to highlight Xtina's technical faults, but Adele ain't one of them. Or do I have to spam Dusti next time I'm in the DJ room to remind you? ;)

A few points:

1. Upper belts? Girlfriend can barely belt D5s live, lowers the key on a song with a top note of C5 when singing it live, and consistently dodges a C5 glory note. Middle belts, darling.
2. I did not say that; I only said that the smoking probably contributed and it was not solely because of her technical problems. I was only mentioning it in the interest of giving complete information.
3. Did you miss this post?
4. Miss Dusty Springfield remains unbothered by Adele's basic belting, thank you very much.

Um. Hew is this????
Sky+Ferreira+sky.jpg

I heard this from her: Sky Ferreira - Lost In My Bedroom
and I really like it.
She has an album coming out. Does anyone here know about her and, if so, can you please recommend me some more songs of hers before I go diving through YouTube.
Sky is pretty cool. I've been spamming One in the DJ room for a while now. Obsession is hot too, but apparently she is not too keen on it herself, go figure. I believe she's being groomed by Bloodshy & Avant of Toxic fame, so she's got some pop cred.

Koodo

Banned
Sis, not that I necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but I have to point out that there's very little, if any, difference in the bolded when it comes to perception.

Madonna could have meant it as a joke (heck, she's said as much) while Gaga read it as a message intended to hurt. It's all context.

This excuse doesn't give Gaga the window to throw shade and not be a bloody hypocrite just because you choose to not read it as a message intended to hurt. Just as your "girdle factory" comment about Xtina could be construed as a message intended to hurt, so could Gaga's cosigning an image that "jokingly" implied killing Madonna (and, by proxy, the subsequent "DIE BITCH!" messages that followed).

As I said, if you want to be above the shade be above the shade. But you don't get to dip in and out at your leisure and not be called out. Kinda rings true for this entire era for Gaga, actually.
This is a circular argument because every statement could then be read as hurtful shade if someone reads it as such, but that's clearly not the case; I can state "I find X's album monotonous" and under no rational circumstance would that be considered hurtful even if an overzealous stan considers it so. I agree context matters, but just as there are shades of grey, there is also black and white. The comment she posted simply isn't registering on any chart that would imply a subtle insult, unlike Madonna's statement.

But even if we concede she erred on her maxim to "never sling back hurtfully," which could be argued by the deletion of the message, we are then holding her to impossible standards by not allowing a single mistake. No one can be perfect. As long as she is not consistently tearing others down, and doesn't go out of her way to do so, that seems enough to argue she still hasn't dipped into the mud.

ADELE herself told Anderson Cooper (IIRC) that her normal speaking and day to day behaviour, not her singing technique, caused the vocal problems (as stated by her doctors). I see no reason to believe she lied, so you will deal.

iWNJa69c9BQ3E.gif

royalan

Um. Hew is this????
Sky+Ferreira+sky.jpg

I heard this from her: Sky Ferreira - Lost In My Bedroom
and I really like it.
She has an album coming out. Does anyone here know about her and, if so, can you please recommend me some more songs of hers before I go diving through YouTube.

Sky Ferreira...eh.

She is the model-turned-singer-turned-model that was supposed to be the "next big thing" about year ago, but has since been blocked from entry into the game by chicks like the one in your avatar.

She was ok, and some songs of hers were catchy (I was really diggin 99 Tears but apparently that went nowhere.

She keeps trying it with music, but I wouldn't get too excited if I were you. Just like the modeling, her singing career seems to be something to do to keep her from having to get a real job long enough to marry rich. I.E. she's barely here for it.

But even if we concede she erred on her maxim to "never sling back hurtfully," which could be argued by the deletion of the message, we are then holding her to impossible standards by not allowing a single mistake. No one can be perfect. As long as she is not consistently tearing others down, and doesn't go out of her way to do so, that seems enough to argue she still hasn't dipped into the mud.

I think you're stretching a bit far here. Sure, this could be a circular argument where EVERYTHING has the potential to be read as hurtful, but I don't think liking a photo depicting your "nemesis" being poked fun off and adding the message "YES BITCH, DRINK THAT TEA" would be construed as anything BUT shade by the majority of people who follow the shade culture that surrounds pop music.

If we're going to hold to the excuse "well, she deleted the message." Then she gets put into the "punk" lane that we ALL regularly put Chris Brown in.

I'm just saying, it's more than just a "little slip" when you've built your brand on anti-shade. At that point it's being a hypocrite. And sure, this is likely not an error large enough to affect her career, but it's still a #DRAGGABLE offense. Lady Gaga is a hypocrite and the sky is blue. News at 11.

ADELE herself told Anderson Cooper (IIRC) that her normal speaking and day to day behaviour, not her singing technique, caused the vocal problems (as stated by her doctors). I see no reason to believe she lied, so you will deal.

Until I see the receipts of her and her doctors RULING OUT her technique as a contributing factor (because I fail to see, in this case, how talking would destroy your vocal chords but not your IMPROPER BELTING or singing in general, which even when done correctly is a lot more strenuous on the voice than talking), then I'm going to continue sipping my tea, thank you very much.

Wk9Bi.gif

It's WHY I stan for 19. Her singing was much better on that album.

Mumei

And Mariah says her voice really hasn't changed since the beginning of her career and that her vocal condition is all about vocal rest and the time she is singing. And while that is true to an extent, she has had obvious vocal damage over the years. Singers lie, Koodo.

Do you really believe that Mariah would admit, "Yeah, I have suffered irreparable vocal damage over the years," when her voice and her reputation as a singer is her bread and butter, even after 20 years? And do you think that Adele would say, "Yeah, I had vocal problems partially because of my issues of resonating all my belts directly in my throat" when she is at the prime of her career and her sole calling card is her singing?

This is a circular argument because every statement could then be read as hurtful shade if someone reads it as such, but that's clearly not the case; I can state "I find X's album monotonous" and under no rational circumstance would that be considered hurtful even if an overzealous stan considers it so. I agree context matters, but just as there are shades of grey, there is also black and white. The comment she posted simply isn't registering on any chart that would imply a subtle insult, unlike Madonna's statement.
So, saying "Yes bitch, sip that tea." to a picture of Madonna drinking presumably poisoned tea, is not insulting. Just to clarify.

Koodo

Banned
And Mariah says her voice really hasn't changed since the beginning of her career and that her vocal condition is all about vocal rest and the time she is singing. And while that is true to an extent, she has had obvious vocal damage over the years. Singers lie, Koodo.

Do you really believe that Mariah would admit, "Yeah, I have suffered irreparable vocal damage over the years," when her voice and her reputation as a singer is her bread and butter, even after 20 years? And do you think that Adele would say, "Yeah, I had vocal problems partially because of my issues of resonating all my belts directly in my throat" when she is at the prime of her career and whose sole calling card is her singing?
Yes, actually, because she's been known to have no filters and be completely candid. This is the same person who talks about rolling off boogers of her hand and hearing the piss come out of Jennifer Aniston; the same person who once even stated "don't buy 21 if you don't like it." That's why I like her, because ADELE seems like an unordinary person in this industry that wouldn't mind saying "my technique was shitty and I'm correcting that," followed by her signature cackling.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Sky is pretty cool. I've been spamming One in the DJ room for a while now. Obsession is hot too, but apparently she is not too keen on it herself, go figure. I believe she's being groomed by Bloodshy & Avant of Toxic fame, so she's got some pop cred.

Sky Ferreira...eh.

She is the model-turned-singer-turned-model that was supposed to be the "next big thing" about year ago, but has since been blocked from entry into the game by chicks like the one in your avatar.

She was ok, and some songs of hers were catchy (I was really diggin 99 Tears but apparently that went nowhere.

She keeps trying it with music, but I wouldn't get too excited if I were you. Just like the modeling, her singing career seems to be something to do to keep her from having to get a real job long enough to marry rich. I.E. she's barely here for it.

She is NO ONE. #NEXT

I see, I see, I SEE. Thank you for the information. I seem to like a few of her songs. I'll keep an eye on her.

Koodo

Banned
I think you're stretching a bit far here. Sure, this could be a circular argument where EVERYTHING has the potential to be read as hurtful, but I don't think liking a photo depicting your "nemesis" being poked fun off and adding the message "YES BITCH, DRINK THAT TEA" would be construed as anything BUT shade by the majority of people who follow the shade culture that surrounds pop music.

If we're going to hold to the excuse "well, she deleted the message." Then she gets put into the "punk" lane that we ALL regularly put Chris Brown in.
We were just discussing the distinction between shade and messages intended to hurt, so I'm not sure why the back-tracking to talking about shade. It was shade, that much is clear; intended to hurt, however? Not quite.

And deleting the message was never argued as an excuse, but as evidence that she did wrong. The point in that paragraph being that a singular and extremely minor offense seems like an exaggeration to label her as a hypocrite in regards to her anti-shade motto; like mistaking a mole hill for the HIMALAYAS.

It's WHY I stan for 19. Her singing was much better on that album.
Even with the lyrics being subpar compared to 21?

Wk9Bi.gif

Mumei

Yes, actually, because she's been known to have no filters and be completely candid. This is the same person who talks about rolling off boogers of her hand and hearing the piss come out of Jennifer Aniston; the same person who once even stated "don't buy 21 if you don't like it." That's why I like her, because ADELE seems like an unordinary person in this industry that wouldn't mind saying "my technique was shitty and I'm correcting that," followed by her signature cackling.

See what royalan said.

She has obvious technical problems that one can hear simply by listening to the placement of her belts. She is not resonating in her chest (obviously; those notes are too high for that), but she's also not resonating in the mask or in her forehead. She is supporting the note in her throat, and this is bad. She started having vocal problems when she began touring because stuff she could get away with when she was not singing as often became untenable when she was touring. She was ordered on vocal rest, but because the polyp was still there, her singing habits caused her polyp to hemorrhage again.

Yes, other things like lifestyle habits (drinking, smoking) and non-singing vocalizations (loud yelling) can contribute, but it is telling that she had these problems when she began touring, and that they resurfaced very quickly after her vocal rest.

Sai-kun

Banned
Listening to some Marina instrumentals. Some of these are just fantastic on their own.

Teen Idle - Very minimalist and chill.

Living Dead - My favorite of the bunch. Super slick and electro-housey. The instrumental sounds even slicker than the album version. The 'chorus' is awesome too. The bassline is super groovy!

royalan

We were just discussing the distinction between shade and messages intended to hurt, so I'm not sure why the back-tracking to talking about shade. It was shade, that much is clear; intended to hurt, however? Not quite.

And deleting the message was never argued as an excuse, but as evidence that she did wrong. The point in that paragraph being that a singular and extremely minor offense seems like an exaggeration to label her as a hypocrite in regards to her anti-shade motto; like mistaking a mole hill for the HIMALAYAS.

Eh, I was more or less using "shady" interchangeably there. But my point still stands: you can't disregard Lady Gaga's hypocritical act of shade throwing here just because you have made the choice to downplay it. YOU can't tell Madonna, for instance, not to take that bit of shade as a message intended to hurt should she choose to. Nor is it much of a leap to interpret it that way, since the brunt of the joke in that image is based on violence. And, as much shade as Madonna has thrown Gaga's way, and as violent as the MDNA tour itself is, I don't think Madonna has jokingly implied violence toward Gaga.

The entirety of your argument can be summed up as thus: "I don't think that bit of shade was a big deal so Madonna shouldn't either." You can't disregard the fact that Madonna theoretically could, and based on the violent nature of that particular bit of shade it's not that far of a leap, either. That alone is all that's really needed to paint Lady Gaga in a bad light in this instance.

If you Gaga stans are willing to admit that she stooped a bit low here (as you just did), then you can't deny what that little slip means for her. In that moment, she was a hypocrite. And if she continues to throw shade (which seems to be coming based on her increasingly messy antics), she will continue to be one.

Even with the lyrics being subpar compared to 21?

Wk9Bi.gif

That's debatable. I personally think "Hometown Glory" is Adele's best song next to "Rolling In The Deep" ;_;

Koodo

Banned
If you Gaga stans are willing to admit that she stooped a bit low here (as you just did), then you can't deny what that little slip means for her. In that moment, she was a hypocrite. And if she continues to throw shade (which seems to be coming based on her increasingly messy antics), she will continue to be one.
If we're referring to that particular instance, then I do agree she was a hypocrite in that instance; but your statement came off as more permanent, especially after claiming she has less integrity than Skeri whom has a track record for being nasty.

iYRx5WioFrKYG.gif

If she keeps heading down this path (and I would enjoy seeing her sling shade on the daily), that would indeed lessen the impact of the Born This Way era. However, that's another IF.

That's debatable. I personally think "Hometown Glory" is Adele's best song next to "Rolling In The Deep" ;_;
Hometown Glory and Chasing Pavements are my favorite from that album, but as a whole the album felt positively teenage. I did like how the production work was more eclectic than the monotony in 21 though.

Nemesis_

GooGooSha has tweeted photos from the set of her new video, "RoundRun" which is currently shooting.

She has also commented on what could be her next single

5dltk.png

Get ready, UZBEKISTAN is COMING not only for your WIGS but your FRESHLY UNBURNT SKIN

iCQXVPmmKxAq4.gif

Bladenic

People calling Gaga mother is the creepiest thing in music tbh.

I don't really feel like talking about how I feel about Gaga. Let's just say I'm glad the BTW era is over and I hope it never returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom