• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

2NHew?
okIAQ.gif

Anyway, just listened to the Mariah snippet. It's ok. I don't like Rick Cross and that other dude, though.

I guess we're never going to get rid of rappers in pop songs. I usually skip a pop song when there's a rap verse coming through.

Not shading rap/hip-hop. I like the genre. Just getting tired by its intrusion in pop songs.

Then why is it you dont like Call Me Maybe then?
okIAQ.gif

Kyon

Banned
Tsk...a shame. I was saying on another site that I think 2NE1 is one of the few K-Pop groups that has a shot of breaking the Western market, whenever that idea pops up. I kinda like them sometimes.

They do. They are the only "westernized" group in Kpop after their seniors BigBang from the same company who have charted on billboard twice now.

@Second: A Kpop group with lots of swag. They are huge Bey stans they even reference her in their songs/videos

Majmun

Then why is it you dont like Call Me Maybe then?
okIAQ.gif

Because it's shit?

Most pop songs don't have a rapper ruining a song, ITZ.

I love rap in pop when it's done like in Mel C's Never Be the Same Again. Left Eye slayed it there. So good.

But most of the time the rap verses in a POP song are generic trite to make the song sound "cooler". Well, I choose to SKIP.

@Second: A Kpop group with lots of swag. They are huge Bey stans they even reference her in their songs/videos

Ah ok. :)

I can't stand j/k-pop, tho.

royalan

2NHew?
okIAQ.gif

Anyway, just listened to the Mariah snippet. It's ok. I don't like Rick Cross and that other dude, though.

I guess we're never going to get rid of rappers in pop songs. I usually skip a pop song when there's a rap verse coming through.

Not shading rap/hip-hop. I like the genre. Just getting tired by its intrusion in pop songs.

I agree.

I just think it has been a while since we've had a great Pop/Rap combination. It's such an over-commercialized concept at this point that there's really no thought put into the music and building a song from the ground up to support it. Most of the time, one of two things is happening:

a) An already-complete song by a new-to-the-scene singer has a feature thrown in by an established rapper to give the song cred.

b) An already-complete song by a new-to-the-scene rapper has a featured thrown in by an established singer to give the song cred.

But really thinking about it, none of this really takes into account whether or not the feature actually makes the song better.

When I think of great singer/rapper duos on songs, of COURSE my fave comes to mind. Christina has a some great collabos that were ground-up concepts between two established acts, and not just pathetic attempts to "break" an artist:

Tilt Ya Head Back (with Nelly)
Car Wash (with Missy)
Tell Me (with Diddy...
okIAQ.gif
)

Mariah Carey has also had some good ones over the years:

Breakdown (with Bone Thugs n Harmony)
Don't Stop [Funkin 4 Jamaica] (with Mystical)
Fantasy Remix (with Ol Dirty Bastard. "Me and Mariah, go back like babies and pacifiers." - Most iconic rap feature of all time, tbh)

EDIT: I guess I should also acknowledge "Airplanes"...

royalan

Would Just Dance have smashed without Akon and Colby O'donis?

I think so.

I mean, Colby O'donis was a HEWbody before JD, was a HEWbody during JD, and is a HEWbody after JD. I don't think he was needed for that song to smash.

Akon was pretty vital to the remix, though.

Mau ®

Justin Beiber has seen a very good increase in digital sales for "As Long as You Love" after the video premiere. (from 9-5)

Nicki also saw a good increase after the premiere (currently 41 after being nowhere near the top 100).

B-Dex

It says Pound the Alarm was released to the radio July 17th...I haven't heard it once?

What kind of flop local radio? Even Vancouver has been playing it and we usually get music months later. (Apparently the West Coast doesn't exist or something to record labels)

joelseph

I apologize in advance for this image being static and non-sparkly. This could also be a repost, I don't know. I wish EDM thread could be this fun.

Mumei

I apologize in advance for this image being static and non-sparkly. This could also be a repost, I don't know. I wish EDM thread could be this fun.

The existence of Myles Fancypants in your avatar makes your post great no matter what the image is tbh.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I agree.

I just think it has been a while since we've had a great Pop/Rap combination. It's such an over-commercialized concept at this point that there's really no thought put into the music and building a song from the ground up to support it. Most of the time, one of two things is happening:

a) An already-complete song by a new-to-the-scene singer has a feature thrown in by an established rapper to give the song cred.

b) An already-complete song by a new-to-the-scene rapper has a featured thrown in by an established singer to give the song cred.

But really thinking about it, none of this really takes into account whether or not the feature actually makes the song better.

When I think of great singer/rapper duos on songs, of COURSE my fave comes to mind. Christina has a some great collabos that were ground-up concepts between two established acts, and not just pathetic attempts to "break" an artist:

Tilt Ya Head Back (with Nelly)
Car Wash (with Missy)
Tell Me (with Diddy...
okIAQ.gif
)

Mariah Carey has also had some good ones over the years:

Breakdown (with Bone Thugs n Harmony)
Don't Stop [Funkin 4 Jamaica] (with Mystical)
Fantasy Remix (with Ol Dirty Bastard. "Me and Mariah, go back like babies and pacifiers." - Most iconic rap feature of all time, tbh)

EDIT: I guess I should also acknowledge "Airplanes"...

You also skipped over "What's my name", "Umbrella", "Motivation", "Dilemma" all done by two already established artists, and together an amazing song is made.

Wasn't surprised by the Rih shade tho.

royalan

The Roof's remix, Honey So So Def and Bad Boys remixes, Always Be My Baby Mr Dupri remix, Heartbreaker remix, etc.

I KNEW you'd show up to clock my list.

But, since we're talking remixes, can I just say that Mariah Carey is QUEEN of the remix? ALL of her remixes are flawless.

One of my faves:

H.A.T.E. U So So Def remix (live performance ;) )

You also skipped over "What's my name", "Umbrella", "Motivation", "Dilemma" all done by two already established artists, and together an amazing song is made.

Wasn't surprised by the Rih shade tho.

I didn't count "Umbrella" because it's an example of "a"

"Dilemma" is flawless, though.

Mumei

I KNEW you'd show up to clock my list.

But, since we're talking remixes, can I just say that Mariah Carey is QUEEN of the remix? ALL of her remixes are flawless.

One of my faves:

H.A.T.E. U So So Def remix (live performance ;) )

Yes, yes. She most certainly is. I was not too enthused with the snippet I heard of Triumphant, though her tweet that she has several dance remixes with completely re-sung vocals has me excited for that reason alone. Maybe I'll like the full version better, though.

Mau ®

Modmei seems pretty calm for the impending start of a new era by his fave.

I'd be freaking out if it was Rih or Brit tbh.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I didn't count "Umbrella" because it's an example of "a"

"Dilemma" is flawless, though.

Yeah, Rih was new to the scene, when at that point, she had a gold album, a platinum album, and a #1 single under her belt.

Edit:

It's 3:45, where is the single? /anticipation

royalan

Yeah, something about her vocals on the chorus seemed...off.

But she was going into a pretty nice belt right as the snippet was fading out, so there's hope.

Speaking of, one of The Great Pop Divas is dropping her new single soon. Why is nobody in the DJ room???

iskBmU37j4T24.gif

Yeah, Rih was new to the scene, when at that point, she had a gold album, a platinum album, and a #1 single under her belt.

Edit:

It's 3:45, where is the single? /anticipation

Oh hush. You KNOW Rih wasn't out of the woods yet at that point. "Umbrella" (and the GGGB era in general), was PIVOTAL to who she is today.

royalan

im thinking the same as you tbh

but i guess that's what separates him from the rest of us lol

HAHA - He may have you hoes fooled but not THIS ONE.

I'm pretty sure Mumei is frantically pacing the room wherever he is right now. Ears twitching ready to ANALYZE the NOTES, and count the seconds of her BELTS.

joelseph

Hahaha

I've had a long-haired mini since I was 13, going on 14. July 4th, 2000. And I read the Man's Best Friend thread, and Myles Fancypants is not the sort of dog name you forget.

He has made it past round 1 for Chicago's Best Dog. Hoping he makes the cover for the October issue of the Chicago Mag!

Kyon

Banned

I'm pretty sure Mumei is frantically pacing the room wherever he is right now. Ears twitching ready to ANALYZE the NOTES, and count the seconds of her BELTS.

Hdidvdksbfiebfksbfkebfkend jebdn FJDHWIHDIFEHIDWHHDWIFHGFURVJB

Satch

Banned

CACKLING right now lmao

Mumei

I am quite calm, roy. I have always been cautiously optimistic, though slightly less so after the snippet... and slightly more again after news about dance remixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom