• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Well, Fighter is a rock infused song. It's full of those growls, and shouts typical of most rock songs. So the strain would definitely return. Which is interesting cause Xtina has said she would have loved to be a rock star, specifically axl rose, in a recent interview.

But this is strain of epic proportions that can cause permanent damage. I mean, I guess it's noteworthy she wants to change it up, but if you destroy your voice in the process, you're not going to have much of a singing voice left in the future.

botty

Banned

This album made me recognize Avril as a gift songwriter/storyteller. Her song, Nobody's Home, was so deep to teenage me.

But this is strain of epic proportions that can cause permanent damage. I mean, I guess it's noteworthy she wants to change it up, but if you destroy your voice in the process, you're not going to have much of a singing voice left in the future.

Yes, the strain in the first video is something we see often in Xtina's performances whens he tries to reach and carry certain notes. That's just the sound she goes for sometimes, even if it isn't "proper," and it does work at times.

As for that last video... Royalan addressed that prior. That was the third time Xtina performed that song that night, with only that performance making the live show. I wouldn't call that note flop due to vocal damage, though.

SaintZ

YAAAAAAAAAAAAS. Fall To Pieces might be my favorite song ever. I hope the new album is more like UMS than TBDT tbh and I'm sad Goodbye Lullaby wasn't a hit. Stop Standing There, Not Enough, and Remember When are amazing.

Anyway, she's coming you better be ready.

ibvaN8qpBc1lzc.gif

Mumei

I don't think the jet leg makes her muffled. And Mumei, correct me if I'm wrong, but her resonation needs a bit of work. You can hear it during the Aretha tribute at the Grammys. It's not clear or projected properly, and there could be a variety of habits that can cause that to happen. She's also not very good at enunciating her words, but that's a related issue as well.

Beyonce has good resonation:

Absolutely no mic or sound system required, which allows her to compete with J.Hud when it comes to power, which is no easy feat.

Christina has volume, but I don't think her ability to resonate properly or project properly is where it should be. I think if you compare her (or, frankly, any of the other girls on that stage) to Yolanda at that Aretha tribute you'll see a good comparison with someone who is resonating and projecting well. I have also talked to royalan about how I think she artificially lowers her larynx more than she should on those lower belts to get that deeper tone (think Charice) and adds extra weight to her voice that her voice isn't made for. She goes for that Whitney-esque sound on those relatively lower (fourth octave - D5) belts. Mariah used to do it at the beginning of her career, as well, but she was easing up on that by Emotions and it was basically gone by Music Box. I think Christina's vocal weight is probably closer to Mariah, and I think that her attempts to add more weight to it and not coordinate properly hurt her resonance.

And yeah, Beyonce cut right through JHud on that first F5. Beyonce gets some (well-deserved) flack for her use of reverb but if you hear her without a mic she's clearly got the resonance.

Speaking of bad moments, I don't ever recall early Mariah having any major issues while singing, so it was a little surprising when I found this:

Vision of Love

Once in a rare while she had some slight issues. There's a performance of Without You where she sounded incredible and then something happened with her voice towards the end, at about 2:56. She really eases up after that compared to how she was singing the song before.

She's always had fragile chords, though.

botty

Banned
Xtina will be performing "Let There Be Love," "Army Of Me," and "Lotus" at the AMA awards.

ibv1pv9whbFxWP.gif

@TheAMAs
Get ready #Barbz, @NickiMinaj just finished her @TheAMAs rehearsal. Her performance tomorrow is going to be filled with SURPRISES!

ibv1pv9whbFxWP.gif

3phemeral

Christina has volume, but I don't think her ability to resonate properly or project properly is where it should be. I think if you compare her (or, frankly, any of the other girls on that stage) to Yolanda at that Aretha tribute you'll see a good comparison with someone who is resonating and projecting well. I have also talked to royalan about how I think she artificially lowers her larynx more than she should on those lower belts to get that deeper tone (think Charice) and adds extra weight to her voice that her voice isn't made for. She goes for that Whitney-esque sound on those relatively lower (fourth octave - D5) belts.

Ah yes, for sure. That explains the muffling/muddy tone she has sometimes.

Mariah used to do it at the beginning of her career, as well, but she was easing up on that by Emotions and it was basically gone by Music Box. I think Christina's vocal weight is probably closer to Mariah, and I think that her attempts to add more weight to it and not coordinate properly hurt her resonance.

That explains the difference. I do recall her "using" it again for that NBA performance of Hero
Though it's funny that now I'm watching it, I can see she clearly mouths "Lord" before the song comes in.

And yeah, Beyonce cut right through JHud on that first F5. Beyonce gets some (well-deserved) flack for her use of reverb but if you hear her without a mic she's clearly got the resonance.

As much as I lack any artistic interest in Beyonce, she more than gets my respect for the incredible amount of discipline in improvement she's placed in her craft as a singer and a dancer. She certainly does not take her gifts for granted by any means.

Once in a rare while she had some slight issues. There's a performance of Without You where she sounded incredible and then something happened with her voice towards the end, at about 2:56. She really eases up after that compared to how she was singing the song before.

She's always had fragile chords, though.

Wow, I've never seen that. She sounded great, and then suddenly it was as if she forgot how to sing.

Mumei

Ah yes, for sure. That explains the muffling/muddy tone she has sometimes.

Maybe! I must admit that I am speculating with that.

That explains the difference. I do recall her "using" it again for that NBA performance of Hero
Though it's funny that now I'm watching it, I can see she clearly mouths "Lord" before the song comes in.

She lipped in parts of Hero and the ending of My Saving Grace for that performance, yeah.

Wow, I've never seen that. She sounded great, and then suddenly it was as if she forgot how to sing.

Yep.

lush

Downloaded this and haven't listened yet. That Lindstrøm remix of Blue Velvet has made my week though. So good.

edit: welp

Aguila

#ICONIC
I was about to ask for final opinions on the top Unapologetic songs, but then I remebered that most of the people who've listened to it are banned.

thekidsfromroom402parod.gif

I'm late to Avril stanning? Shhhooot. Sorries SaintZ.

Avril is amazing, multi-talented, flaw-free, etc. etc.

Still waiting for her nu album to come out sometime in the next century.

i iwsh i was cyndi lauper,

dont forget old pop gaf !

she is the true queen, everyone else is imitators ......
Are you a silver fox? jw

I concur with you, Cyndi is amazing.

B-Dex

Let it be KNOWN that no Rihallah dragging is tolerated in this heavenly plane, and that a severe punishment would be underway for anyone who DARES defile Her.

The Saints of Her Gospel agree.

ipNOGUyQOLXw1.gif

Sis please stop your delusions. Praising Rih is what caused this to occur:

ugQxy.png

Or have you already forgotten?

Ties

Banned
Sis please stop your delusions. Praising Rih is what caused this to occur:

ugQxy.png

Or have you already forgotten?
Keep in mind that all of the those who are currently Rihpenting for their sins were all shady towards Her.

You, however, are blessed with the gift of foresight; so you hid in your bomb shelter awaiting the end of the Rihpocalypse.
ipNOGUyQOLXw1.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Heyeyeyeyeeeeeey
Like a girl gone wild
A good girl gone wild
I'm like heyeyeyeyeeeeeey
Like a girl gone wild
A good girl gone wild

Girls they just wanna have some fun
Get fired up like smokin' gun
On the floor till the daylight comes