• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lana Del Rey now?

iSP8WlSjKaNmC.gif

I agree with botty. Weird.

Only 5 more days till this thread comes back to life...
Its nice to see some of the better girls get some press without being constantly overridden by the Gaga crew, such a vocal minority.

botty

Banned
The atmosphere around here is so welcoming that I feel like I stumbled upon an alternate reality.

Anyone with even one metaphorical testicle would be brave enough to post in here. Even at it's most vicious (OT1) Pop Gaf has been quite welcoming anyway. Most people just don't get it so they either fear it, or hate it... which is just human nature~

I can't believe Mumei has an ATRL account, though.
ikqlxgmnmyhmzgbqhe.gif

jealous...

Its nice to see some of the better girls get some press without being constantly overridden by the Gaga crew, such a vocal minority.

What better girls?

Mumei

I can't believe Mumei has an ATRL account, though.
ikqlxgmnmyhmzgbqhe.gif

jealous...

My account says I have been a member since 5-2-2012.

Off To Races Live. The video quality is whack tho.
I thought she was going to pass out
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

She almost made it to maple syrup speed!

I do think she sounds better in these clips than she did in those truly execrable performances I saw before, but she makes these stylistic choices that are just far too affected for my taste, and I don't like that weird echo-y reverb that she has when singing live.

Anyone with even one metaphorical testicle would be brave enough to post in here. Even at it's most vicious (OT1) Pop Gaf has been quite welcoming anyway. Most people just don't get it so they either fear it, or hate it... which is just human nature~

It may not be so much fear as much as it is that if you're not part of the clique you get ignored. If you don't drone on endlessly about this weeks flavor, you get ignored. PopGaf is basically a chatroom from Gaga's latest tweets, and Xtina dragging. And thats not a bad thing, as a lurker I enjoy it. As a poster it gets annoying.

This week will be great because it shows our banned sistren that other people will post, and that there are differing opinions out there. Maybe when they return they'll make an effort to be more inclusive, but still keep that egde that makes these threads so great.

What better girls?
Beyonce, PopGaf's #1 (living) Diva, of course.

My account says I have been a member since 5-2-2012.

She almost made it to maple syrup speed!

I do think she sounds better in these clips than she did in those truly execrable performances I saw before, but she makes these stylistic choices that are just far too affected for my taste, and I don't like that weird echo-y reverb that she has when singing live.

I love it when Mumei makes me look up words to read his posts.

botty

Banned
Ok, how about we turn this into Vocalist Gaf
(can't be worse than Lana Del shit gaf).
We'll discuss vocals, share live performance videos, and be friendly.

Here I will start:

Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (Sandy Relief Performance)

I think she shows some good control, up until about the 3:00 mark where she goes into her "Xtina mode." However, in between her 'moments' she still shows off some of that power, vibrato, and soul. My only major complaint is that her voice sounds a bit muffled here... and i'll blame it on jet lag.

The performance isn't nearly as bad as someone made it out to be though.

If you want to see a really terrible performance:

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (live 2010)

Can't carry some really basic notes.
Out of breath.
Sharp.
Flat.

Though there are still hints of a once iconic voice... or maybe that is just the microphone's echo.

Satch

Banned
speaking of Llama, i was listening to Off To The Races and i swear to god i was cooking (TYBG)

should have been number one on the urban charts

botty

Banned
It may not be so much fear as much as it is that if you're not part of the clique you get ignored. If you don't drone on endlessly about this weeks flavor, you get ignored. PopGaf is basically a chatroom from Gaga's latest tweets, and Xtina dragging. And thats not a bad thing, as a lurker I enjoy it. As a poster it gets annoying.

This week will be great because it shows our banned sistren that other people will post, and that there are differing opinions out there. Maybe when they return they'll make an effort to be more inclusive, but still keep that egde that makes these threads so great.

Pop Gaf can be a bit cliquey, but that's mostly because it's such a tight knit community. You can't go into any of the other OTs and expect them all to just start listening to you if you're new. And I think most people in here are quite welcoming... in a recruitment sort of way.

Trigger

The more urban tracks on BTD are great. Lolita and Off to the Races are bops.

not all of them

True. She's a real chameleon though.

Pop Gaf can be a bit cliquey, but that's mostly because it's such a tight knit community. You can't go into any of the other OTs and expect them all to just start listening to you if you're new. And I think most people in here are quite welcoming... in a recruitment sort of way.

VaNIA.gif

SaintZ

From Billboard:
One Direction, the Weeknd & 'Twilight' Albums Aiming High on Billboard 200
As earlier reported, One Direction is a near lock for a No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 albums chart next week. Industry forecasters say the group's second album, "Take Me Home" (SYCO/Columbia), should start with between 525,000 to 575,000 sold by week's end on Sunday, Nov. 19. No other album will come close to selling that many copies this week, so One Direction's path to No. 1 is clear.

The new Billboard 200 chart's top 10 will be revealed on the morning of Wednesday, Nov. 21.

Elsewhere on next week's chart, watch for the Weeknd's debut album, "Trilogy," to launch with 90,000 or so while the "Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2" soundtrack may bow with 80,000. Both sets should easily start in the top 10. Also headed for a big entry is Soundgarden's first studio release in 16 years, "King Animal." The album is looking to debut with around 80,000 as well.

Pop diva Christina Aguilera is poised for a top 10 return, as her new "Lotus" will likely bloom with around 75,000. It's her first studio album since 2010's "Bionic" arrived in the No. 3 slot with 111,000 sold (according to Nielsen SoundScan).

One of 2012's biggest new stars, Lana Del Rey, could also start in the top 10 with her latest effort, "Paradise." Sources indicate it's also on track to sell around 75,000. "Paradise" is available as a stand-alone album and also as part of a deluxe reissue of her first full-length set, "Born to Die." The latter album debuted and peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 earlier this year, moving 77,000 in its first week.

On Nielsen SoundScan's Building chart (below), One Direction is No. 1 while the Weeknd is No. 2. The Building tally is a precursor to the final Billboard 200 ranking -- reflecting the first four days (Monday through Thursday) of SoundScan's tracking week as reported by six major merchants.

As for the rest of the Building chart's top 10: Taylor Swift's "Red" is found at No. 3, Lana Del Rey's "Paradise" is sitting pretty at No. 4 and Christina Aguilera's "Lotus" is in the five spot. At No. 6 is the new "Twilight" soundtrack, No. 7 is Soundgarden's "King Animal" and No. 8 is Deftones' new "Koi No Yokan." Rounding out the top 10 are Green Day's new "Dos!" at No. 9 and Rod Stewart's "Merry Christmas, Baby."

UIBrB.png
I'll die if Lana debuts higher than Xtina.

i4Tas0R32RZ6P.gif

Ties

Banned
POPGAF is SLACKING

AMA Setlist
Carly Rae Jepsen — The Kiss and Call Me Maybe
Carrie Underwood — Two Black Cadillacs
Christina Aguilera — Lotus; Army of Love; Let There Be Love
Stevie Wonder — My Cherie Amour; You Are The Sunshine of My Life; Sir Duke
Justin Bieber & Nicki Minaj — As Long As You Love Me and Beauty and the Beast
Nicki Minaj — Freedom
Kelly Clarkson — Miss Independent; Since U Been Gone; Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You); Catch My Breath
Ke$ha — Die Young
Linkin Park — Burn It Down
No Doubt— Looking Hot
P!nk — Try
Pitbull — Don’t Stop the Party
Swizz Beatz, Chris Brown and Ludacris — Everyday Birthday
Taylor Swift — I Knew You Were Trouble
The Wanted — I Found You
Usher — Numb; Climax; Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop
PSY & Secret Guest — Gangnam Style
Source, but don't click the link because it's Perez.

I'm done with this PSY ho being in every awards show
iPtTsNgftwD38.gif

Mumei

Here I will start:

I think she shows some good control, up until about the 3:00 mark where she goes into her "Xtina mode." However, in between her 'moments' she still shows off some of that power, vibrato, and soul. My only major complaint is that her voice sounds a bit muffled here... and i'll blame it on jet lag.

If you want to see a really terrible performance:

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (live 2010)

Can't carry some really basic notes.
Out of breath.
Sharp.
Flat.

Though there are still hints of a once iconic voice... or maybe that is just the microphone's echo.

Whitney's vocal decline was because of drugs. Christina's vocal decline was because she did not sing correctly. So I enjoy you trying to come for Whitney when she had better technique and had performances in better voice - even if she was inconsistent and a shadow of what she was - after twenty years of crack than yours does after twelve years of poor singing.
It's cute.

iZXbobn7SZQY6.gif

Trigger

Carly Rae Jepsen — The Kiss and Call Me Maybe
Carrie Underwood — Two Black Cadillacs
Christina Aguilera — Lotus; Army of Love; Let There Be Love
Stevie Wonder — My Cherie Amour; You Are The Sunshine of My Life; Sir Duke
Justin Bieber & Nicki Minaj — As Long As You Love Me and Beauty and the Beast
Nicki Minaj — Freedom
Kelly Clarkson — Miss Independent; Since U Been Gone; Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You); Catch My Breath
Ke$ha — Die Young
Linkin Park — Burn It Down
No Doubt— Looking Hot
P!nk — Try
Pitbull — Don’t Stop the Party
Swizz Beatz, Chris Brown and Ludacris — Everyday Birthday
Taylor Swift — I Knew You Were Trouble
The Wanted — I Found You
Usher — Numb; Climax; Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop
PSY & Secret Guest — Gangnam Style

This list shits. I might actually watch.

iFURdyQP1fPg1.gif

3phemeral

Here I will start:

I think she shows some good control, up until about the 3:00 mark where she goes into her "Xtina mode."

Do you mean musical control or vocal control? Because if the former, "Xtina mode" technically starts @ 2:00 (but as you said, returns at 3:00).

However, in between her 'moments' she still shows off some of that power, vibrato, and soul. My only major complaint is that her voice sounds a bit muffled here... and i'll blame it on jet lag.

I don't think the jet leg makes her muffled. And Mumei, correct me if I'm wrong, but her resonation needs a bit of work. You can hear it during the Aretha tribute at the Grammys. It's not clear or projected properly, and there could be a variety of habits that can cause that to happen. She's also not very good at enunciating her words, but that's a related issue as well.

Beyonce has good resonation:

Absolutely no mic or sound system required, which allows her to compete with J.Hud when it comes to power, which is no easy feat.

Agreed. She dodged some of the bigger notes she usually sings and it wasn't as crazy as CNN Heroes, but at least the vocal performance came off as more scratchy than strained or tight. If she performs Fighter in the future and attempts to sing it like the record, I expect the strain to return.

Speaking of bad moments, I don't ever recall early Mariah having any major issues while singing, so it was a little surprising when I found this:

Vision of Love

botty

Banned
Whitney's vocal decline was because of drugs. Christina's vocal decline was because she did not sing correctly. So I enjoy you trying to come for Whitney when she had better technique and had performances in better voice - even if she was inconsistent and a shadow of what she was - after twenty years of crack than yours does after twelve years of poor singing.
It's cute.

iZXbobn7SZQY6.gif

I'm not sure if you're trying to dignify the route Whitney took in order to tarnish her instrument, but either way you can't justify anything Whitney was doing near the end.

I mean... even her studio music was full of weakly carried notes, bizarre breath control, and none of that iconic whitney power.

No matter how poor Xtina's technique can be at times, her voice will never be as consistently depressing as Whitney's was near the end.

ib13VVDZFLh7tD.gif

SaintZ

Your japanese faves can start packing because the trailer of the new One Piece movie is out and it features the Avrallah Godvinge cover of "How Your Remind Me". I actually like how it sounds even if it is a Nickelback cover. Need to hear the full thing tho. The song starts at 1:07 aprox.

iOQYRFEz2251Y.gif

botty

Banned
If she performs Fighter in the future and attempts to sing it like the record, I expect the strain to return.

Well, Fighter is a rock infused song. It's full of those growls, and shouts typical of most rock songs. So the strain would definitely return. Which is interesting cause Xtina has said she would have loved to be a rock star, specifically axl rose, in a recent interview.

Speaking of bad moments, I don't ever recall early Mariah having any major issues while singing, so it was a little surprising when I found this:
Vision of Love
um

Wilsongt

PopGAF is so quiet now.

Does that mean SaintZ and I can stan Avrallah Godvigne without being clockedT?

Goddamn, five minutes before I made my post.

Praise Avrallah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom