• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I was just wondering where the Rih dragging was going to shift to after her recent successes. You can't attack her longevity (7 years in the game)
yes I can.
7 years in the industry with no impact or anything memorable.
you can't attack her album sales (Five platinum albums + 1 gold)]
yes I can.
6 albums and barely 8.6 million sold in the US

you can't attack her singles (12 #1s)
yes I can.
She releases so many singles some are bound to stick and those #1's are not impressive when you look at how much they sold. WFL spent how many weeks at #1 and it didn't even outsold any of the other girl's top hits. Be glad she has good radio support where people can listen to her for free.

you can't attack her touring numbers (Loud tour did 90 mil, she's playing STADIUMS for #DIAMONDS and they're selling out),
In American and Europe.... where else? You would think with her long discography she would have enough material to be a bit more global

But I love seeing the goalposts for dragging her move further and further back since she is proving day after day what a force she is in the industry.

What is this force you speak of. Able to cockblock Maroon 5 and Ke$ha from getting another #1?
Quite the achievement

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mhm, if Katy and Ke$ha keep going at their rate, they'll topple Rih as biggest hit maker. Then she won't have anything left kiiii

If KP runs the same luck of having 3-4 hit singles per album and releasing them Yearly Rihanna would be pretty much nothing to talk about.

Didn't Katy Topped MJ #1 hits for 1 album or something like it? Thats better than 12 #1 singles IMO. Bigger achiever.

Ke$ha I'm not entirely sure would be nice to see that happen.

Rihanna will be left with Bruises Kiiii

Majmun

No one cares for Local Perra. And she won't be anything without Dr. Luke. Hell, it's even possible for him to turn shit into success. Look at Ke$ha's carreer for instance.

Rihanna is different. More people seem to like her. Hate it or not, her music appeals to a wider audience.

DMeisterJ

Banned
yes I can.
7 years in the industry with no impact or anything memorable.

Opinion

yes I can.
6 albums and barely 8.6 million sold in the US

Yes, let's ignore her WW sales.

yes I can.
She releases so many singles some are bound to stick and those #1's are not impressive when you look at how much they sold. WFL spent how many weeks at #1 and it didn't even outsold any of the other girl's top hits. Be glad she has good radio support where people can listen to her for free.

Highest selling digital artist ever. Bye.

In American and Europe.... where else? You would think with her long discography she would have enough material to be a bit more global

Why does it matter where her tour money came from? And hint-hint, America and Europe are huge markets, so she's huge in huge markets. Be seated.

What is this force you speak of. Able to cockblock Maroon 5 and Ke$ha from getting another #1?
Quite the achievement

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

A lot of the other pop girls couldn't do it, so she did.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

If KP runs the same luck of having 3-4 hit singles per album and releasing them Yearly Rihanna would be pretty much nothing to talk about.

Didn't Katy Topped MJ #1 hits for 1 album or something like it? Thats better than 12 #1 singles IMO. Bigger achiever.

Ke$ha I'm not entirely sure would be nice to see that happen.

Rihanna will be left with Bruises Kiiii

But no one but you are comparing the two. I don't think Rih is better than Perry or has achieved more. If Perry ends up achieving more and lasting longer, good for her. Not sure why you keep on trying to drag her into this. Learn to drag more efficiently.

Vazra

No one cares for Local Perra. And she won't be anything without Dr. Luke. Hell, it's even possible for him to turn shit into success. Look at Ke$ha's carreer for instance.

Rihanna is different. More people seem to like her. Hate it or not, her music appeals to a wider audience.

Katy Perry
Teenage Dream 5.5 Millions WW.
One of the Boys 3 millions WW

With 2 or 3 more albums she can outdo Rihanna

Bladenic

Lol Rihanna's music appeals to a wider audience because she sings both pop and more urban and hip hop tunes. Not naturally or because of her.

As always with you, you tried.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

yes, I forgot she actually did something memorable tho I didn't want to be tasteless and bring it up...
Yes, let's ignore her WW sales.

Around 25 M WW with 6 albums.... most girls do that with half

Highest selling digital artist ever. Bye.

How many singles again?

Why does it matter where her tour money came from? And hint-hint, America and Europe are huge markets, so she's huge in huge markets. Be seated.
With the help of Groupon I guess

A lot of the other pop girls couldn't do it, so she did.

What other pop girls are out there right now? Ke$ha(who might need another week or 2)? Xtina?
ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
I can see this conversation on Rih is circling the drain, much unlike Rih herself, since it seems people agree that she sells singles and albums and is successful, and only want to compare her to others which is never what I did in my original post. Proving my point that she is a successful star since some of you won't judge her on her own merits, but in comparison to others, to make her look bad since she is slaying.

Poor you.

Get your #DIAMONDS tour tickets before they sell out, Buy your copy of Unapologetic, and have fun hearing Diamonds on the radio for some time to come.

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Mumei

I don't think anyone can take anything from Rihanna's success on radio or her success in selling singles, but her album sales do seem disproportionately low compared to her singles sales, even if you include her international sales. I'd be interested in looking at numbers for newer artists (post-2005); how many albums and singles they have had, their local sales and their international sales.

And "highest selling digital artist" has to be up there with "Queen of Hip Hop Soul" for accolades so highly specific they become comical.

royalan

Yessss Dalai Lana. Final nail in Xtincta's coffin.

Hardly.

Fact is Lana Del Rey has been the focus of an international ad campaign for a major clothing company with one of her songs playing in the commercial. Her face is plastered all over several major cities across the globe. That's way more promo (international promo at that) than Xtina did for Lotus. Frankly, anything less would have been embarrassing for Lana.

The thing for me is I don't know how Lotus' sales numbers are a surprise for ANYBODY. She did NO PRE-RELEASE PROMO for it. This is hardly another Bionic. As sad as it admittedly is, even the stans weren't expecting explosive numbers from Lotus. We'll just see how it does in the long run. At least hers isn't the most spectacular first-week flop of the year. ;___;

But y'all keep saying Xtina is done. That'll make her rise all the more Triumphant.

Mumei

Hardly.

Fact is Lana Del Rey has been the focus of an international ad campaign for a major clothing company with one of her songs playing in the commercial. Her face is plastered across several major cities across the globe. That's way more promo (international promo at that) than Xtina did for Lotus. Frankly, anything less would have been embarrassing for Lana.

But y'all keep saying Xtina is done. That'll make her rise all the more Triumphant.

Frankly, Roy, at this point reaching the Olympian heights that Triumphant did might be a bit too aspirational for Christina.

Vazra

Hardly.

Fact is 3DS has been the focus of an international ad campaign with tons of commercials. The 3DS is plastered across several major cities across the globe. That's way more promo (international promo at that) than Sony did for Vita. Frankly, anything less would have been embarrassing for 3DS.

But y'all keep saying Vita is done. That'll make the rise all the more Triumphant.

Yep fits mostly perfect with minor changes

Majmun

I can see this conversation on Rih is circling the drain, much unlike Rih herself, since it seems people agree that she sells singles and albums and is successful, and only want to compare her to others which is never what I did in my original post. Proving my point that she is a successful star since some of you won't judge her on her own merits, but in comparison to others, to make her look bad since she is slaying.

Poor you.

Get your #DIAMONDS tour tickets before they sell out, Buy your copy of Unapologetic, and have fun hearing Diamonds on the radio for some time to come.

What a flawless post. Couldn't have said it better
iTortsQwKrdig.gif

And the demand for Rihanna seems to have grown somehow. Her tickets are selling out in record pace. She won't be going anywhere.

Which is good
i6wFCVWQ1FEJy.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

because it goes to show you what kind of force she really is

ibbOB8cGj4i6my.gif

I know its old fashioned but I genuinely drag her because I dislike her music, her attitude, her personality, and what she brings to her the table talent wise. I do find her completely disposable.

.......but whatev's. I acknowledge she is a massive success/force in the industry. That cannot be denied.

Not the 1D stan coming for disposablility. GERL STAWP.

I can't wait to be 20 years in the future, a time when Rihanna will be forgotten completely.

You think it will take that long?....more likely the week after her last single will be when this occurs. If her opening week album sales throughout her career are any indication her fans forget about her just about that quickly.

Bladenic

Ah, really? I was thinking of airplay numbers, though, and last I saw it was way down and going nowhere fast. What were its most recent numbers?

Your Body may have been a flop but Triumphant was a flop of epic proportions.

Mumei clocked, what a strange and humorous occasion. This is the final nail in Xtincta's coffin.

DMeisterJ

Banned
because it goes to show you what kind of force she really is

ibbOB8cGj4i6my.gif

But you're missing the point. I can say Rih is slaying and you can say Ke$ha is slaying, and those statements can both be true. In order to slay you don't have to be killing the game or doing better than anyone else, you just have to have your own list of accomplishments that show that you can do your thing as well. It's not like you go to the store and can only pick up an album from one pop girl, only buy a single on iTunes from one pop girl, only go to a concert by one pop girl, etc. Comparing her to others only, again, proves my point that she is in elite company with the girls who are slaying, and it shows she's still here and going to be here.

Now bye.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
But you're missing the point. I can say Rih is slaying and you can say Ke$ha is slaying, and those statements can both be true. In order to slay you don't have to be killing the game or doing better than anyone else, you just have to have your own list of accomplishments that show that you can do your thing as well. It's not like you go to the store and can only pick up an album from one pop girl, only buy a single on iTunes from one pop girl, only go to a concert by one pop girl, etc. Comparing her to others only, again, proves my point that she is in elite company with the girls who are slaying, and it shows she's still here and going to be here.

Now bye.

So you agree, Rihanna is a lessor compared to the rest since they slay harder than her, ok

downtonfeud6.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned

Tell me why I had to use Google image search to figure out who she was.

Teairra Mari. Poor girl.

So you agree, Rihanna is a lessor compared to the rest since they slay harder than her, ok

downtonfeud6.gif

I never said otherwise. Again, my original post said that she's doing well for herself, and I wondered what people would drag her for since a lot of the stuff that they did she has improved. Never did I compare her to others. You bitches wanted to take it there when that was never where it was. I'm not going to say whether I agree or disagree with your statement, but I'm glad you acknowledged that she does slay.

I can't wait to be 20 years in the future, a time when Rihanna will be forgotten completely.

You could take 'Rihanna' out of your post and replace it with any of the pop girls and it would be a correct statement as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom