• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Show me where I even insinuate this or quit while you're ahead.

Gee, I dunno, half your posts over the last several pages have been about Beyonce's skin color and/or behaviors which apparently(?) make her a terrible person for other women and girls to be exposed to.

I think she's an Indie wannabe because she churned out yet another halfhearted attempt at musical relevance, only instead of the Pop-R&B of her "debut", and the torch/throwback Pop-R&B of Sol-Angel, she's now released a limp-dick collection of Sheila E b-sides..

I still can't tell if you're slinging "indie" as a stylistic choice insult or as a market she's supposedly targeting, but either way, I don't think it would've mattered to you what the music sounded like since she's part of your adorable little music biz blacklist (no pun intended there!). I'll give you credit for actually listening to the EP, though, even if it was with closed ears.

royalan

Gee, I dunno, half your posts over the last several pages have been about Beyonce's skin color and/or behaviors which apparently(?) make her a terrible person for other women and girls to be exposed to.

And it's true that I believe that. However:

1) Show me where I insinuate Beyonce using her skin tone as a marketing tool translates to me thinking she hates her blackness or isn't "black enough."

2) Demonstrate what the hell any of my opinion on Beyonce has to do with Solange's crappy-ass album.

I still can't tell if you're slinging "indie" as a stylistic choice insult or as a market she's supposedly targeting, but either way, I don't think it would've mattered to you what the music sounded like since she's part of your adorable little music biz blacklist (no pun intended there!). I'll give you credit for actually listening to the EP, though, even if it was with closed ears.

Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

What exactly is my adorable little music biz blacklist? You're so busy trying to be condescending that you've forgotten to pack the most basic component of an argument in your big bag of fail: a point. Hell, I've been outspoken in the past about Solange being responsible for my favorite Beyonce track. And I actually didn't mind Losing You, but I think the album as a whole is terribly boring, and I think she's tried so hard at this point to move into her "own lane" musically than she's become disingenuous. Deal with my opinion however you choose to, but don't for one second think that my dislike of Solange has anything to do with her sister or my opinion on race as it applies to music and what "black women should be doing."

To the left.

Mumei

This is not exactly his argument; it is more an argument that she cynically manipulates her skin tone using various techniques (make-up, not tanning, lighting) depending on who she is trying to appeal to and is therefore propagating a standard of beauty that says that only light skin tones are beautiful. These implicit messages serve to inculcate children with these beauty standards, and is particularly damaging to the self-image of young black girls. Or so the argument goes. It is not "Beyonce wants to be white, ergo she bleaches."

I think that this is based on highly selective choices of pictures to examine, and that the evidence for this idea is rather thin. I also think that dumping all of that baggage onto her is problematic; she'd still be light-skinned even if she tanned and I don't think that it makes any sense to argue that she's personally responsible for those beauty standards.

Kyon

Banned
Only BeySUS could make y'all holler without even lifting a finger.

iZd8Rbf6NPmbc.gif

Mau ®

Im kinda bummed at the bad Unapologetic reviews. I can see its shortcomings and I can agree on a lot of points but its not a horrible album and I feel its one of her best releases but if you come looking for songs like WFL, OG and Umbrella you will just not find them because it was never her intent in the first place to make an album out of songs like that.

TTT was horrible yet it got a mostly positive reception lol

Oh well Ive made peace with it. She is slaying anyhow *.*

Mau ®

BTW Rih wants the next single from Unapologetic to be STAY!!!! OMG basically exactly what I wanted!!!

Do it Def Jam!! Save Nobody's Business for late spring/early summer!! *.*

Artemisia

Banned
That Pitchfork review is awful. And Rih did write on 11 of the songs (not that I care).

The fact that Rihanna has released seven studio albums in seven years does little to diminish the impression that if you flipped up her impassive panel of a face, you'd find circuit boards and wires.

The big story in the lead-up to the pointedly-titled Unapologetic is that she's not only forgiven her abusive ex, Chris Brown (who has had Rihanna's battered and bruised face tattooed on his neck), but she's back with him, and he guests on the equally defiantly-named "Nobody's Business". An Auto-Tuned, Jacko-sampling piece of piano-house, it would be inoffensive and sweet enough, were it not for the Punch & Judy saga behind it.

Like most of Unapologetic, it's instantly forgettable. Created with the usual international team of collaborators (from Sia to Labrinth), packed with the usual half-hearted, sexual single-entendres ("ride my pony, my saddle is waiting ...") and sung in a voice that's flatter than Norfolk, it's a true representation of Rihanna's personality. That is to say, it's dull as dishwater.

By the time you reach the track called "Get it Over With", you're begging the album to comply.

ibzDXUZJJqdpSP.gif

and most of those sales are parents getting it for their kids for christmas as stocking fillers.

ibrKvSWdvMUdTb.gif

My fav's what now.

Blatant lies....but not unexpected coming from you.

These sales were from the week BEFORE Thanksgiving week. Not exactly holiday shopping season. It just takes a while for full WW sales to get tabulated.

It was a gallant, if pathetic and inept, attempt.
Also not unexpected

i7ujGzU1OzLbr.gif

I love all the Unapologetic reviews. They stay dragging her and she stays selling. It's hilarious.

We are talking about albums right?......I hate to break it to you but.....

Unapologetic's sales are going to be good "for a Rihanna album"....thats about it. For any other artist with the quantity of hits she has had....plus the week it launched...the sales would be downright disappointing.

Koodo

Banned
We are talking about albums right?......I hate to break it to you but.....

Unapologetic's sales are going to be good "for a Rihanna album"....thats about it. For any other artist with the quantity of hits she has had....plus the week it launched...the sales would be downright disappointing.
Where is the lie.

ibqr0llrbr3kYw.gif

I love all the Unapologetic reviews. They stay dragging her and she stays selling. It's hilarious.

Leave the "yeah the artist/material is deficient but look at how much it's selling" argument for the Britney stans, sis. That's all they have left. I'm more interested in hearing about what you agree/don't agree with regardng those Unapologetic reviews. What do you guys actually think of the music?

Bladenic

I'm actually surprised at the positive reception Unapologetic has gotten. I think it's a giant turd outside of 4-5 songs, and Rihanna and her writers do everything in their power to make it nigh impossible to separate the artist from her personal life.

Oh well, don't care, Warrior slays it wonderfully.

Also I am SCREAMING at those Lotus worldwide sales. But where Paradise though?

Take Me Home tbh

Leave Warrior for when you are in a party mood

I already listened to TMH actually. Pretty good. C'mon C'mon is still my favorite.

Bladenic said:
You didn't plan to? :/

Lol I was probably going to eventually, but given how I enjoyed both songs I've heard so far (C'mon and Die Young), as well as the POP-GAF hype, I'll probably have to bite sooner than later.

I might just need something to fabreze away the Rihanna stank tbh

Bladenic

Leave the "yeah the artist/material is deficient but look at how much it's selling" argument for the Britney stans, sis. That's all they have left. I'm more interested in hearing about what you agree/don't agree with regardng those Unapologetic reviews. What do you guys actually think of the music?

It fits Rihanna far better tbh.

Peru

No matter what you think of Rihanna or her music the whole fundamentally offensive, DUMB AS FUCK and trite in every imaginable way "she's a robot programmed to sell" angle is NEVER ACCEPTABLE in a pop music review. I haven't even listened to the album and I'm RAGING just reading this shit.

Zutroy

5VeLf.png

N6VW3.png

ib0Q9ia6abjESe.gif

Review maybe coming soon...maybe

Koodo

Banned
No matter what you think of Rihanna or her music the whole fundamentally offensive, DUMB AS FUCK and trite in every imaginable way "she's a robot programmed to sell" angle is NEVER ACCEPTABLE in a pop music review. I haven't even listened to the album and I'm RAGING just reading this shit.
That is somewhat true with Rihanus though, judging by how Def Jam seems to mandate a yearly album and a swift hop onto the latest trends.

Riherpes is akin more to an employee rather an artist at this point.

Not commenting on these reviews specifically....but even when compared to games and films I have found music reviews to almost always be universally shit. I just don't think that they are done by enough publications, or read by enough readers, to have developed any accountability whatsoever. Also the fact that there is so little crossover between genres nowadays probably contributes to the problem.....either way...annoys the shit out of me.

I actually enjoy some game/film reviews. Never found a site with music reviews I find even mildly relevant.

It's a shame a good background track and hook like 'Diamonds' has is wasted on such an insufferable person like Rihanna. Pretty much any other artist and I'd have that song on replay, even Beyonce.

Zutroy

Not commenting on these reviews specifically....but even when compared to games and films I have found music reviews to almost always be universally shit. I just don't think that they are done by enough publications, or read by enough readers, to have developed any accountability whatsoever. Also the fact that there is so little crossover between genres nowadays probably contributes.....either way...annoys the shit out of me.

I actually enjoy/find useful some game/film reviews. Never found a site with music reviews I find even mildly relevant.

Probably because with movies and games, there's a lot more logical (not sure if that's the word I'm meaning) criteria that it can be judged on, such as how well it works, or how good the graphics are. In terms of music, outside of are the instruments and singer being in tune, it's a lot more subjective.

It's a shame a good background track and hook like 'Diamonds' has is wasted on such an insufferable person like Rihanna. Pretty much any other artist and I'd have that song on replay, even Beyonce.

Cl8IK.gif

I totally agree. Rihanna herself brings nothing to music...almost every track she has done would have been BETTER from another artist.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I was just wondering where the Rih dragging was going to shift to after her recent successes. You can't attack her longevity (7 years in the game), you can't attack her album sales (Five platinum albums + 1 gold), you can't attack her singles (12 #1s), you can't attack her performances (as much, kiiii), you can't attack her touring numbers (Loud tour did 90 mil, she's playing STADIUMS for #DIAMONDS and they're selling out), and you can't come at her for being overexposed anymore (clearly the public still wants her around).

So let's move onto using reviews to try to drag her because of the quality of music. Nevermind the fact that tons of the people that are stanned for in this thread have shit quality music, we'll only use it to drag Rih. It's hilarious how pressed she has some of you. But I love seeing the goalposts for dragging her move further and further back since she is proving day after day what a force she is in the industry.

Stay Londa

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

I know its old fashioned but I genuinely drag her because I dislike her music, her attitude, her personality, and what she brings to her the table talent wise. I do find her completely disposable.

.......but whatev's. I acknowledge she is a massive success/force in the industry. That cannot be denied.

drags, stanned, pressed? this is like a pop music version of wrasslegaf

Anyway, I don't like her because of:
* Unlikable personality, went back with Chris Brown, is not down to earth, I remember reading twitter messages of hers and they sounded like a bratty 12 year old, just an insufferable personality
* her voice

Bladenic

drags, stanned, pressed? this is like a pop music version of wrasslegaf

Anyway, I don't like her because of:
* Unlikable personality, went back with Chris Brown, is not down to earth, I remember reading twitter messages of hers and they sounded like a bratty 12 year old, just an insufferable personality
* her voice

Yes drag her to the depths of Hades.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I was just wondering where the Rih dragging was going to shift to after her recent successes. You can't attack her longevity (7 years in the game), you can't attack her album sales (Five platinum albums + 1 gold), you can't attack her singles (12 #1s), you can't attack her performances (as much, kiiii), you can't attack her touring numbers (Loud tour did 90 mil, she's playing STADIUMS for #DIAMONDS and they're selling out), and you can't come at her for being overexposed anymore (clearly the public still wants her around).

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

What about Katy Perry with which just 2 albums (3 if you wanna count Katy Hudson which actually its irrelevant) has 6 #1 singles from just one album and overall 7 #1 singles. multiple 4X Platinum 3x and 2X too.

Rihanna needs multiple albums to achieve 12 hit singles while KP with just 1 did half of that. Stay Pressed.

katy-perry-14.gif

(BTW I am not a fan of KP but Rihanna dragging its always fun)

DMeisterJ

Banned
What about Katy Perry with which just 2 albums (3 if you wanna count Katy Hudson which actually is irrelevant) has 6 #1 singles from just one album and overall 7 #1 singles. multiple 4X Platinum 3x and 2X too.

Rihanna needs multiple albums to achieve 12 hit singles while KP with just 1 did half of that. Stay Pressed.

But I don't drag Katy Perry, and if you were ever going to drag her, you couldn't on album sales or singles. Not sure what it has to do with Rih tho

ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

Bladenic

What about Katy Perry with which just 2 albums (3 if you wanna count Katy Hudson which actually its irrelevant) has 6 #1 singles from just one album and overall 7 #1 singles. multiple 4X Platinum 3x and 2X too.

katy-perry-14.gif

Mhm, if Katy and Ke$ha keep going at their rate, they'll topple Rih as biggest hit maker. Then she won't have anything left kiiii

Majmun

Not liking this Rihanna dragging
i7LJ5kpu9gnvb.gif

Y'all can keep at it tho. Won't stop her from getting that #1 album AND #1 single this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom