• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

lets see Rihanna try to tour in South America, even Madonna has the same deals. How would Rihanna do?

Rihanna would first have to learn how to market herself as well as Gaga.

iSHRwglukmrhw.gif

Mumei

Your Body may have been a flop but Triumphant was a flop of epic proportions.

Mumei clocked, what a strange and humorous occasion. This is the final nail in Xtincta's coffin.

So what are the airplay numbers?

I can't wait to be 20 years in the future, a time when Rihanna will be forgotten completely.

I actually do find it interesting about whether she'll be remembered. I mean, her number one songs:

SOS
Umbrella
Take a Bow
Disturbia
Rude Boy
Only Girl (In The World)
What's My Name?
S&M
We Found Love
Diamonds
Live Your Life
Love the Way You Lie

I mean, I know I'm not the audience for these songs but it looks to me as if an a series of one-hit wonder songs were somehow all given repeatedly to the same commercially viable pop star who achieves tremendous success with them, while never achieving anything lasting.

Koodo

Banned
The thing for me is I don't know how Lotus' sales numbers are a surprise for ANYBODY.
There were a surprise for her record label and industry insiders who had pegged the opening numbers at least above 100k, which would have been an abysmal number in the second busiest month of the year.

Being outsold by The Weeknd (who?), with an album containing songs previously available for free, is testament enough of the inexcusable numbers Xtincta managed to pull (or, rather, not pull).

There's only so much blame you can place on the lack of promotion, and judging by how little her material moved after the few promotional performances she's done, the argument holds even less weight.

Majmun

Tell me why I had to use Google image search to figure out who she was.

Teairra Mari. Poor girl.

The Illuminati also have preferences, tho. Rita Ora is slaying the UK, but the rest of the world is still not interested. Her time will come.

MIA is going to be an interesting case, too.

Beyonce, Jay and Rihanna are the biggest moneymakers. And that will never change. Blue Ivy can already retire thanks to Rih's slayage alone.

Artemisia

Banned
I actually do find it interesting about whether she'll be remembered. I mean, her number one songs:

SOS
Umbrella
Take a Bow
Disturbia
Rude Boy
Only Girl (In The World)
What's My Name?
S&M
We Found Love
Diamonds
Live Your Life
Love the Way You Lie

I mean, I know I'm not the audience for these songs but it looks to me as if an a series of one-hit wonder songs were somehow all given repeatedly to the same commercially viable pop star who achieves tremendous success with them, while never achieving anything lasting.

Exactly. I completely forgot that some of the songs you listed were even number 1. Rihanna has the radio to thank for her impressive amount of number 1 hits.

Rihanna has no true classic. There is no 'classic Rihanna' that will be played in the future.

royalan

I said pop girls. I didn't say pop Legends.

Y'all sure do use the term "Legend" quickly.

For me the jury's still out on how Adele will be remembered. I mean, she's got that one monster album, but one monster album alone isn't enough to make someone forever relevant. Just look at Shania Twain. People don't even remember how hard she smashed in her prime.

Legend status requires an entire body of work. Adele's still in the lane of generational footnote, imo...

Being outsold by The Weeknd (who?), with an album containing songs previously available for free, is testament enough of the inexcusable numbers Xtincta managed to pull (or, rather, not pull).

One only has to see the demographic The Weeknd appeals to see that it really isn't a surprise they're selling well. Lotus wasn't the only album they've clocked.

There's only so much blame you can place on the lack of promotion, and judging by how little her material moved after the few promotional performances she's done, the argument holds even less weight.

Just A Fool jumped 40 spots and entered the Hot 100 after her performance of it on The Voice. I think there's a LOT of blame that can be placed on lack of promotion, and particularly Xtina's lack of visibility as a music artist.

Mumei

For me the jury's still out on how Adele will be remembered. I mean, she's got that one monster album, but one monster album alone isn't enough to make someone forever relevant. Just look at Shania Twain. People don't even remember how hard she smashed in her prime.

Legend status requires an entire body of work. Adele's still in the lane of generational footnote, imo...

Shania had three monster albums, thank you very much.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
RT

Shania had three monster albums, thank you very much.

Do most people remember them tho?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Exactly. I completely forgot that some of the songs you listed were even number 1. Rihanna has the radio to thank for her impressive amount of number 1 hits.

Rihanna has no true classic. There is no 'classic Rihanna' that will be played in the future.

I have to disagree. Up until last year, I would have agreed, but I think that WFL is that Classic Rih song. As much and as big as Umbrella and WMN were, I wouldn't classify them as a classic song, and the rest of her #1s are smaller than those two, but I think that classic song is WFL for her. Whether it will be remembered in 20 years? Who knows. Who knows whether any song currently out will be remembered in 20 years?

Zutroy

She is not the self destruction type me thinks....too much of a genius business woman.

She seems like she's got a bit of an inflated ego, and if she leans too far towards being 'arty' and forgets that she still needs to provide the mainstream hits, then that could be her downfall.

Artemisia

Banned

I agree. She only recently begun her worldwide dominance and we will have to wait for album number 3 to see if she will continue with that.

To be honest though, there's nothing really fascinating about her, and she is sort of depressing. I want to compare her slayage to Mariah Carey's, but at least Mariah had sex appeal and was able to throw out catchy pop hits like Fantasy and Touch My Body. I don't think Adele would be down for that.

Bladenic

What's with this random Shania shade that's completely wrong? How does one gauge if an artist is remembered? Shania has mostly been completely reclusive until 2010, and there is still no new music in sight. And she's about to start her tenure, which will let people see her once again. No clue about show ticket sales, though I'd imagine they're great.

And as the good sis Mumei and sis Koo already pointed out, Shania has sold better than these new pop girls will do in their entire careers.

Phillip Phillips just went #1 on itunes apparently. 4th time in 6 months. 2.5 million sales and climbing on the airplay charts fast.

He is smashing...and it makes me sad.

Mau ®

I like how every year we keep having the same "Rihanna will be over soon" conversation. And every year she proves you cunts wrong.

This one however is even more hilarious coming from ONE DIRECTION stans

Think about that.

ibbOB8cGj4i6my.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
She seems like she's got a bit of an inflated ego, and if she leans too far towards being 'arty' and forgets that she still needs to provide the mainstream hits, then that could be her downfall.

She loves making music and has tons of fans that would buy her album in an instant
I mean 6 million FAME bottles in one week

Even if she no longer makes mainstream hits she would have 2-3 more albums
But Gaga knows better to not divert too much from the mainstream and is here for the long run

ibtySLHvOdI2Jy.gif

Mumei

Do most people remember them tho?

Are they in the forefront of peoples' consciousness? Probably not. But if you started playing a Shania song, I bet almost every person will recognize it.

I agree. She only recently begun her worldwide dominance and we will have to wait for album number 3 to see if she will continue with that.

To be honest though, there's nothing really fascinating about her, and she is sort of depressing. I want to compare her slayage to Mariah Carey's, but at least Mariah had sex appeal and was able to throw out catchy pop hits like Fantasy and Touch My Body. I don't think Adele would be down for that.

Why Mariah? In terms of release schedule Rihanna of all people is most similar to Mariah. I think Rihanna has had even more U.S. singles and albums released in the same time period, actually.

DMeisterJ

Banned
RT

I like how every year we keep having the same "Rihanna will be over soon" conversation. And every year she proves you cunts wrong.

This one however is even more hilarious coming from ONE DIRECTION stans

Think about that.

ibbOB8cGj4i6my.gif

But we've moved on now. We'll pick up this convo next year.

royalan

Pretty much my thoughts. She is an icon even if some outside of the country audience are somewhat unaware of her.

But wasn't being a Country-Pop crossover artist the big thing about her back in the day?

Not shading Shania, but I think the fact that she doesn't really have a place among Pop icons despite Pop audiences being a major contributor to her success is telling of her status. She's not in the Madonna lane. She's doing flop shows on Oprah's flop network.

Mumei

But wasn't being a Country-Pop crossover artist the big thing about her back in the day?

Not shading Shania, but I think the fact that she doesn't really have a place among Pop icons despite Pop audiences being a major contributor to her success is telling of her status. She's not in the Madonna lane. She's doing flop shows on Oprah's flop network.

i294JRMZdsgSm.gif

Well TBH when she was a pop crossover the idea was almost unheard of. Nowadays with Carrie and Taylor its not as big of a deal.

What Shania did was unprecedented.

Bladenic

She did one show.

Now she's starting her tenure in Vegas. You know, where Celine Dion also performs, amongst other legends. Make no mistake, Shania is an icon, a legend. She may not be in Madonna's lane, but then neither is Xtincta.

Artemisia

Banned
Why Mariah? In terms of release schedule Rihanna of all people is most similar to Mariah. I think Rihanna has had even more U.S. singles and albums released in the same time period, actually.

Because Mariah is a huge force with albums and singles. rihanna has trouble with both, really.

But, I'm not so sure of how much Mariah's older work sold when it was recent, or maybe 5 years old.

royalan

I do like Shania tho. ;__;

Well TBH when she was a pop crossover the idea was almost unheard of. Nowadays with Carrie and Taylor its not as big of a deal.

What Shania did was unprecedented.

This IS a lot truer than most people acknowledge.

She did one show.

Now she's starting her tenure in Vegas. You know, where Celine Dion also performs, amongst other legends. Make no mistake, Shania is an icon, a legend. She may not be in Madonna's lane, but then neither is Xtincta.

But then what does Xtina have to do with this?

Mumei

Because Mariah is a huge force with albums and singles. rihanna has trouble with both, really.

But, I'm not so sure of how much Mariah's older work sold when it was recent, or maybe 5 years old.

Mariah's catalog sales have historically been pretty mediocre considering her status, if I'm remembering correctly. But I don't really see reason for comparing Mariah to Adele. There are plenty of singers who have a monstrously successful album.

You're really going to make this a thing, huh? lol

#death

He likes "things".....like that stupid this.jpg he used at every opportunity for what seemed like an eternity

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4tes1XsCB1r113x5.gif

....luckily it never caught on.

Mariah's catalog sales have historically been pretty mediocre considering her status, if I'm remembering correctly. But I don't really see reason for comparing Mariah to Adele. There are plenty of singers who have a monstrously successful album.

Though I think 21 is was bigger than people give her credit for considering how much lower album sales are now......it could easily have been far higher imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom