• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
I'll just leave this here for Leona to gloat over...*ahem*

SIA's version of Blank Page has finally revealed itself...

Fuck it's brilliant...

It's not better.

tumblr_madm8lgjwY1rqqk0ko1_100.gif

3phemeral

Fuck it's brilliant...
Yeah, this is what I was waiting for and it's pretty much what I expected.

This > Christina's.

Keep in mind, I love Christina's take on Sia's stuff for Bionic, so much so that I don't care to know what Sia's sounds like anyway. Sia's version of this song has something that Christina's is missing.

Fuck it's brilliant...
I've been waiting for this for months.

Shits all over Xtina's utterly cabaret rendition. Love her desperate, hopeless tone.

I'm over the song, though. It didn't knock me out lyrically or musically the way the snippet made me think it would. "You Lost Me" remains Sia's best work for Xtina.

royalan

I'm still on the fence about which version is superior, tbh...

On one hand, I think I prefer what Xtina did to the verses (that she wrote, apparently). Gives more context to what's going on in the song (and with Xtina), whereas Sia's version is a bit more ambiguous.

On the other hand...I think I prefer the production of Sia's version. I like that Xtina chose this song to be her "stripped down" moment on Lotus, but when the strings and the echoes kick in during the second half of Sia's version, I admit that I'm taken away...so beautiful...;__;

And I do love Sia's "quiet suffering" interpretation...though I'm not yet sure if I prefer it over the desperate pleading of Xtina's raw belting in her version. I will say that both ladies absolutely nail the emotion they were trying to convey.

I just don't know.....;____;

At the very least though, I'm glad my fave didn't pull a Rihanna.

Bladenic

I wish Sia was a bigger star. She deserves so much more success. But at least she's getting recognition now. Better late than never.

royalan

I wish Sia was a bigger star. She deserves so much more success. But at least she's getting recognition now. Better late than never.

And yet nobody voted for her upcoming album as "Most Anticipated"...flops.

Seriously, tho...I think her album is going to just completely SCHOOL everyone this year. Her songwriting has always been exemplary, but now that she's been exposed to the mainstream Pop community it's just on an entirely different level...

Bladenic

Seriously, tho...I think her album is going to just completely SCHOOL everyone this year. Her songwriting has always been exemplary, but now that she's been exposed to the mainstream Pop community it's just on an entirely different level...

Looking forward to it! Her last album was quite amazing.

I didn't put her first, but I did vote for her. I love some of Sia's songs, like "I'm In Here" and "Death By Chocolate". I'm definitely going to be interested in what she is going to put out in the future.

Nemesis_

I think her solo work is just too niche to make it big. She does very well here but I think that's really because she's an Australian and we like to promote our own.

I'd like to see how she goes now that she's done all the Guetta and Flo Rida collabs though and *should* be popping up in discussions now considering her work with Rihanna on Diamonds. She probably has more of a chance which is nice.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Happy New Years from the #NAVY POP-GAF. Hope you all get everything you want in life and more.

Hopefully for your faves, Rih decides to let her reign fall back a bit and yours can shine. If not, oh well.

ibmr92l84wwvvC

Nemesis_

SINGLES

Rihanna and Mikky Ekko - Stay
Nicole Scherzinger - Boomerang

music-nicole-scherziner-boomerang.jpg

Both come out on January 7th.

ALBUMS

Tegan_and_Sara_-_Heartthrob_cover.jpg

January 23rd

Ashanti_BraveHeart_Album_Cover.jpg

January 29th

Nemesis_

ibjn0GVISSD43O.gif

Why did you post Side Burns-shanti sis?

I'm helping Aguila update the OP for January.

ISHANTCHART's BraveFart comes out this month apparently.

I don't actually look forward to any of them besides Tegan & Sara and
Boomerang >_>

Kyon

Banned
I'm helping Aguila update the OP for January.

ISHANTCHART's BraveFart comes out this month apparently.

I don't actually look forward to any of them besides Tegan & Sara and
Boomerang >_>

Oh. Well we don't need Side show Bob mysteriously inviting itself to the RELEVANT table much less MATTERING table. Lets forget it was ever mentioned ;)

Nemesis_

So... Y'all posted the new Godney tweets about album 8?

Isn't it just her saying she is focusing on her music this year or something?

The only thing I've heard is she's working with Pharrell or something

Hopefully it's not a Hard Candy 2.0

Nemesis_

I'll just leave this here.

itB506dHCe5TH.gif

Leave it to “It” girl rapper Azealia Banks to make some polarizing and inflammatory comments about her status as a fashion darling and her future as a rapper, all before her debut ‘Broke With Expensive Taste’ even lands. Banks is nothing if not a cultural lightning rod, and she’s already slammed the fashion industry, which embraced her on the quick, and put an expiration date on rapping.

Her recent chat with Hypetrak TV should have her manager wringing their hands over having to deal with the fallout from her statements.

Regarding the quick embrace that the fashion industry wrapped her in, she said, “I think that too much fashion attention as an artist can actually smother you. And it can actually really, really distract from your music. And I kind of almost got there with it, you know what I mean?”

She continued, “It was like, fashion, fashion, fashion, fashion, fashion. And I was like this fashion darling. I was putting out records… and the only record anyone would listen to was ’212.’ That was the only Azealia Banks record that anyone knew…”

Hey, Azealia, there’s nothing wrong with another arm of culture opening doors for you, like fashion can. It’s called layers and levels of exposure. Hell, a MAC lipstick endorsement is pretty sweet, too.

She didn’t diss Alexander Wang (behind the diffusion line she is the face of), or the U.K. fashion line ASOS.

“I think that fashion and style is one thing, but I think that branding can really hurt you as an artist, especially if it’s not real,” she said. “Like, I really like Alexander Wang. I really shop at ASOS, so it makes sense. You can very easily get sucked up by the fashion world, because they bring artists in to make themselves look a certain way, and then as soon as someone new comes up, they’ve completely forgotten about you. They’re so fickle. If you place your faith in the fashion world, you will get let down.”

Those weren’t the only high-voltage comments she made. She already revealed that rapping has a shelf life for her, which feels a bit premature. “I’d like to eventually stop rapping,” she said, even though ‘Broke With Expensive Taste’ is dropping in early 2013. “That’s the honest truth. One day, I don’t want to rap anymore, because I think it’s easy and kinda tacky. It’s very unlady-like. I like it, but I think I am going to get tired of it.”

Wait ’til Nicki Minaj or Lil Kim hear those comments. Perhaps those nemeses can unite over a common enemy who dissed their profession? Nah, Banks, who suggested that her fans are all young and gay, is likely just making fiery statements to keep interest in her high.

Banks further declared, “I want to get two albums out, and get all the urban stuff, like rap music, out. Or whatever ideas I have in me out and into fruition, and go back to school and take voice lessons and do contemporary jazz. I dunno. I definitely don’t see myself as a rapper forever.”

There’s nothing wrong with having goals. But we have to admit all this talk does make her sound a little — actually, a lot — entitled before she’s even released a full-length.

From PopCrush

iGfFFwCTT1nvA.gif

Trigger

My lord, I'm so tired. I didn't drink, but I feel like I have a hangover. My poor sleeping schedule is ruined!
r4CiE.png

Looking back at 2012 what were your top songs guys?

Call Me Maybe
Diamonds
People Like Us
Radio
C'mon C'mon
King of Hearts
Your Body
My Blood
Losing You

Those are just a few; last year was a good year for music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom