• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Fantasia albums actually do fairly well...on the R&B charts.

She performs very similarly to Idol winners Scotty McQueery and even Carrie Underwood in the sense that, though she doesn't see a whole lot of mainstream success, she's successful and even respected in her home market. The R&B market is just much smaller these days than Country.

But Lawd....girl, stay off of Instagram.

Bladenic

Fantasia albums actually do fairly well...on the R&B charts.

She performs very similarly to Idol winners Scotty McQueery and even Carrie Underwood in the sense that, though she doesn't see a whole lot of mainstream success, she's successful and even respected in her home market. The R&B market is just much smaller these days than Country.

But Lawd....girl, stay off of Instagram.

Hun Carrie Underwood saw huge mainstream success. Stop talking out your ass. No her latest didn't sell as well as her previous but surprise surprise, all album sales are down.

royalan

Hun Carrie Underwood saw huge mainstream success. Stop talking out your ass. No her latest didn't sell as well as her previous but surprise surprise, all album sales are down.

Has she seen multiple crossover hits the same way Kelly has? Nope.

Has she had the vast, overwhelming bulk of her success and relevance remain in the North American Country market? Yes.

Stop talking out of your ass.

"Go to school!!!"
w9f2m.png

I feel bad for laughing tho.

I kinda laughed also, but yeah she needs to go back.

Bladenic

Has she seen multiple crossover hits the same way Kelly has? Nope.

Has she had the vast, overwhelming bulk of her success and relevance remain in the North American Country market? Yes.

Stop talking out of your ass.

Because she's a country artist. I don't see how being huge in North America isn't being mainstream. Yes Kelly's had more hits but Carrie is the biggest Idol earner. I'm not contesting that she's not a local bitch but face it she was huge after Idol. Unless your definition of mainstream is strictly a huge global success (which is dumb), then yes, she's not mainstream.

Carrie Underwood is a much larger force in her respective genre than Kelly is in hers, so if you were to compare the two based on that metric then Carrie Underwood would be the more successful one. I can't speak for album/single sales though.

Trigger

Since when did mainstream ever mean more than the pop market? Carrie is a big force on her own market, but as far as the pop world goes her biggest song is still Before He Cheats.

royalan

Because she's a country artist. I don't see how being huge in North America isn't being mainstream. Yes Kelly's had more hits but Carrie is the biggest Idol earner. I'm not contesting that she's not a local bitch but face it she was huge after Idol. Unless your definition of mainstream is strictly a huge global success (which is dumb), then yes, she's not mainstream.

But when did I try try to claim that Fanny's success was equal to Carrie's? I didn't. I just said that Fanny's career trajectory has been similar, but in a much smaller market.

What qualifies as mainstream is based more on perspective than you think though. My mom's side of the family I'm sure has never heard of Kelly Clarkson but they're huge fans of Carrie. If country music is your version of pop (ie. popular) then Carrie will be more mainstream and Kelly would be known more for her country cross-overs.

royalan

What qualifies as mainstream is based more on perspective than you think though. My mom's side of the family I'm sure has never heard of Kelly Clarkson but they're huge fans of Carrie. If country music is your version of pop (ie. popular) then Carrie will be more mainstream and Kelly would be known more for her country cross-overs.

I would argue that Fantasia has reached a similar level of recognition in the R&B community. She's definitely known more for her music and her antics than for being an Idol winner at this point.

Only a legend. How was her voice?

ieR4aKlxltcxB.gif

I don't know if it's just her style of singing these days, but she was very WHISPERY, to the point of sounding out of breath. A bit hit and missed, Emotions is in a lower key ;_;

Other than that she sounded great. I #died during We Belong Together.

(Incredibly cheap stage)

M.I.A. tonight!

Kyon

Banned
What was the occasion for the show? She's not touring so does she just do random shows every now and again?

Who are you speaking to

Who gives a fuck about Aubrey Ho Day?

And when is the Aubtorage going to get an album? The Hearts have gotten a few at this point.

Don't flatter yourself. Both our faves are flops and will never be relevant. Anyway it was supposed to be out December but I guess she wants the album to have some type of simultaneous Worldwide release thing. So I'm guessing either this month or early February. It was only an EP at first but it now that I see how many songs are on it it's definitely a full fledged album. That's why it's taking longer because she was just gonna release it on iTunes as an EP but now she wants to do an album promo run to have SOME sales.

Okay, so I keep hearing Taylor Swift on the radio and I am getting annoyed with her music. I can't stand her song "we are never getting back together", which has been over played and is completely stupid. I might get haters from this but I can not stand her..... and I think these people can agree...

tumblr_meho0zUUBP1rptcc2o1_500.gif

Artemisia

Banned
M.I.A. tonight!

yaaaaaas

Okay, so I keep hearing Taylor Swift on the radio and I am getting annoyed with her music. I can't stand her song "we are never getting back together", which has been over played and is completely stupid. I might get haters from this but I can not stand her..... and I think these people can agree...

tumblr_meho0zUUBP1rptcc2o1_500.gif

You will feel right at home.

I think only 4 people including me like her.

but please listen to her albums before deciding whether or not you can stand her xoxo

yaaaaaas

You will feel right at home.

I think only 4 people including me like her.

but please listen to her albums before deciding whether or not you can stand her xoxo

Well I liked "Love story", "Sparks fly", and "Our song" but I don't like her new music.

shrug.gif

Carrie has more albums sold, records, success, Grammys and talent than Kellysa tho

ibv86MwcXXBauB.jpg

Worldwide, Underwood has sold over 25 million singles and more than 15 million albums.

Clarkson has become the most successful Idol contestant internationally with album sales of over 25 million and singles sales of over 36 million worldwide,[6] according to Billboard[7] and Nielsen SoundScan.[8][9][10]

Britney Spears working on her next album -- "new" details
by Ray Rahman
Tags: Britney Spears, Hit-Boy, Pop

Comments 6
Add comment

Britney-Spears

Image Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty Images

Just before the new year, Britney Spears confirmed in a Twitter Q&A that she was indeed “working hard” on her next album, and that she was “collaborating with some inspiring new producers.”

Which is intriguing! But who are these producers providing Britney with inspiration? Details are still scant, and Spears’ rep says that the album’s still in its early planning stages. But the rep did drop a few details, telling us that Britney “hasn’t worked with Elijah Blake,” despite the rumors. Blake, a writer who sometimes goes by Sean Fenton and has worked the likes of Usher and Rihanna, said in an interview that he was working with Britney. We’ve asked him for a comment but have yet to hear back.)

But the rep did spill some names working on the album Britney — like the recently inescapable producer Hit-Boy, the aptly named man behind Kanye West and Jay-Z’s “N—-s in Paris,” A$AP Rocky’s “Goldie,” Kendrick Lamar’s “Backseat Freestyle,” and other major 2012 jams.

Of course, there’ll be seasoned Spears vets helping out too. Will.i.am., for instance, will be pitching in again.
ivVgPn2u55pww.gif

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/01/03/britney-spears-new-album/

Artemisia

Banned
wait

But the rep did spill some names working on the album Britney — like the recently inescapable producer Hit-Boy, the aptly named man behind Kanye West and Jay-Z’s “N—-s in Paris,” A$AP Rocky’s “Goldie,” Kendrick Lamar’s “Backseat Freestyle,” and other major 2012 jams.

omfg

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

royalan

Look @ the post above yours >_>

!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen this! I'm a flop Aubrey Stan, tbh ;___;

As soon as my boss leaves and me and the other girls can start being ratchet I'll give this a view. *.*

Nice to see the Best Danity Kane Member choosing ha own destiny. *.*

moulels

I don't mind Shit.i.am if it's only for one song. I knew he was going to be producing since Scream and Shit is a big hit. Mess.

DMeisterJ

Banned
!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen this! I'm a flop Aubrey Stan, tbh ;___;

As soon as my boss leaves and me and the other girls can start being ratchet I'll give this a view. *.*

Nice to see the Best Danity Kane Member choosing ha own destiny. *.*

It is nice to see Dawn do her stuff on her own. She was always shining bright like a diamond.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Unapologetic has gone gold this week, selling almost 70k albums to reach over 550k sold to date in the US in the last six weeks. It's her seventh Gold album in a row, and soon to be her sixth platinum album in a row... And they keep saying she doesn't sell albums.

Also, "Diamonds" has sold an additional 365k singles this week, pushing it over 2M units sold to date. Another 2M seller for the Highest selling digital artist ever. #SHINEBRIGHTBITCH

She's such a fucking star

ibmr92l84wwvvC.gif

Unapologetic has gone gold this week, selling almost 70k albums to reach over 550k sold to date in the US in the last six weeks. It's her seventh Gold album in a row, and soon to be her sixth platinum album in a row... And they keep saying she doesn't sell albums.

Also, "Diamonds" has sold an additional 365k singles this week, pushing it over 2M units sold to date. Another 2M seller for the Highest selling digital artist ever. #SHINEBRIGHTBITCH

She's such a fucking star

ibmr92l84wwvvC.gif

iPq539Dq9oFqV.gif

Who else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom