• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

yew should have already been stanning

and yew should have already had a high opinion of Solange

Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams should have turned yall into believers way before this

i8Go72AI2O8k0.gif

I did stan Sol-Angel...;___;

EDIT: LAWD these Life is NOT a Fairytale gifs...X_X

Majmun

Bey seems to be more driven. Plus she's hotter and more talented than her sister.

Their parents also invested more time in Bey's carreer.

Poor Bey's sister.

Aww... I feel bad for Solange cause Bey stole her spotlight.

Solange, though, she sung that Impossible song right? If so, that was indeed a bop.

royalan

Bey seems to be more driven. Plus she's hotter and more talented than her sister.

Their parents also invested more time in Bey's carreer.

Poor Bey's sister.

Pretty much. *.*

Solange's career can be summed up as one of soul-searching. She doesn't have the talent, drive, or love from her parents that Beyonce has. Yet she's a Knowles, so she can't get a real job. So she flits and floats between singing, acting, DJing, modeling, and just being a socialite. But, lacking drive like she does, she never becomes particularly notable at any of it.

Lately it seems like she's focusing on music (again). That may be the best thing since it's where most of what talent she has is. But who knows...tomorrow she may go back to being a hair model.

Trigger

Pretty much. *.*

Solange's career can be summed as one of soul-searching. She doesn't have the talent, drive, or love from her parents that Beyonce has. Yet she's a Knowles, so she can't get a real job. So she flits and floats between singing, acting, DJing, modeling, and just being a socialite. But, lacking drive like she does, she never becomes particularly notable at any of it.

Lately it seems like she's focusing on music (again). That may be the best thing since it's where most of what talent she has is. But who knows...tomorrow it may be back to being a hair model.

My shade detectors are going off....
bhuHH.gif

royalan

Looks like "Let There Be Love" is the official second single in Australia.

Kinda goes along with the rumors that Xtina is shooting three music videos this month.

I'm here for it.

botty

Banned

Kinda goes along with the rumors that Xtina is shooting three music videos this month.

I'm here for it.

What are these rumors I keep hearing of Xtina going back on Chelsey Lately.

7732f81d.png

Nemesis_

Details on JLo's next album revealed

Just in case you were missing some Jennifer Lopez in your life since she left American Idol, she confirmed via Twitter that she is in fact working on a new album to be released this year. While details are limited, we do know J.Lo will be teaming up with music producer RedOne again, with whom she previously had success with her hit “On the Floor.”

RedOne recently told MTV that the “amazing” new record will combine a mix of genres she’s covered in the past, including dance, Latin, and hip-hop. “It’s a very special album,” he said. “It feels like this album, to us, has to have everything about her, not just one thing.” The best part? It will be very reminiscent of what she did with Ja Rule back in 2001.

Idolator

DMeisterJ

Banned
^

It was Unapologetic Era. It's from the video she did using Diamonds to promote Barbados. Bless her heart.

tumblr_mg69m6YitQ1rzyke6o1_500.jpg

Chris and Kara-whatever spotted out. One day after he was spotted out with Rih.

I'm here for it.
Australia getting the good singles, as per. First "Hummingbird Heartbeat" with Katy, and now "Let There Be Love" by Xtina. The US needs to take notes, tbh.

So this band called Haim have somehow bested AlunaGeorge to top the BBC Sound of 2013 list.

Haim, a trio of Californian sisters who have been compared to Fleetwood Mac, have come top of the BBC Sound of 2013 new music list.

The list, which aims to showcase the best new acts for the year ahead, was compiled using tips from 213 UK-based critics, broadcasters and bloggers.

Now in its 11th year, previous winners include Michael Kiwanuka, Jessie J, Adele, Mika, Ellie Goulding and Keane.

BBC Radio 1 DJ Huw Stephens said Haim had a "contagious enthusiasm".

"Haim have an #unapologetic passion for music that shines in their songs," he said. "They're brilliant musicians who have a real talent for tunes that merge their tales of growing up in the 21st Century with a classic songwriting ability."

The sisters have already supported British artists Florence and the Machine and Mumford and Sons live.

Este, Danielle and Alana Haim, who are aged between 21 and 26, started playing music as children when their parents enlisted them into a family covers band.

The sisters all play guitar, drums and sing and are still occasionally known to pull their mother and father on stage.

Haim's songs pay homage to feelgood, freewheeling '70s rock and anthemic '80s synth-pop, gaining a modern sheen by borrowing rhythms from contemporary R&B.

The 213 tastemakers - ranging from music magazine editors and newspaper critics to influential bloggers, DJs and radio and TV producers - each named their favourite three new acts.

They were free to choose performers from any country and any musical genre.

In second place were London R&B duo AlunaGeorge, with uncompromising New York-based rapper Angel Haze in third. Birmingham soul singer Laura Mvula was fourth and Glasgow electro-pop outfit Chvrches completed the top five.

It is the first time that the top five acts have all been female or fronted by women.

Este Haim said: "It's the craziest thing to think we're on a list with so many amazing artists. This year the five bands that were in the list were all female fronted, right?

"We love the UK - the last time we were there, we were there for almost a month and a half. The UK is like a second home."

NME magazine's new music editor Matt Wilkinson, who took part in the poll, said Haim "have a knack for writing amazingly catchy singles, they're a killer live band and they talk the talk miles better than most other new bands".

Other artists in the top five in previous years include Frank Ocean (Sound of 2012), The Vaccines (Sound of 2011), Marina and the Diamonds (Sound of 2010), Florence and the Machine (Sound of 2009), Foals (Sound of 2008) and Plan B (Sound of 2006).

Here are some of their songs:
Forever
Don't Save Me
Go Slow
Better Off

What do you all think? Does Haim deserve the accolades?

Nemesis_

I forgot about that! I really wish we would have gotten DITD as a single as well. Ya'll are so lucky.

We never got a video though.

Given the immaculacy of the performance during The Monster Ball 2.0, I would've been fine with a shitty tour video too ;_;

Bladenic

Gonna check out Haim, thanks Crump. Though now I want to listen Fleetwood Mac. Truly flawless group. Landslide remains one of my favorite songs ever.

We never got a video though.

Given the immaculacy of the performance during The Monster Ball 2.0, I would've been fine with a shitty tour video too ;_;
Just the thought of a DITD video sends chills down my spine. GaGa was so on point with her videos during TFM era, that I think I would have been resurrected if she had made just one more video. I don't think I've seen the performance you are talking about.

Oh, it was my first Pop music concert ever *.*

The HBO special removed a few things, but this is the full thing ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLA1z_DU4E
It was? Damn, that is awesome. I'm planning on making either GaGa or Kelly the first concert I ever go to in the future.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, it looked like the one from the HBO special, but with a curtain screen. That curtain screen was so epic, omg, and when it was brought up I got goosebumps. I love how she puts on a show, and DITD is just so darn good. I seriously need to watch The Monster Ball Blu Ray I have again, since I haven't watched it in a while. Watching it will make me want a Born This Way Ball Blu Ray, though, which probably isn't going to happen. I haven't heard a single thing about her recording any of her shows. Hopefully, she does just that in the next few months. *hopes*

Nemesis_

It was? Damn, that is awesome. I'm planning on making either GaGa or Kelly the first concert I ever go to in the future.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, it looked like the one from the HBO special, but with a curtain screen. That curtain screen was so epic, omg, and when it was brought up I got goosebumps. I love how she puts on a show, and DITD is just so darn good. I seriously need to watch The Monster Ball Blu Ray I have again, since I haven't watched it in a while. Watching it will make me want a Born This Way Ball Blu Ray, though, which probably isn't going to happen. I haven't heard a single thing about her recording any of her shows. Hopefully, she does just that in the next few months. *hopes*

Something is coming, apparently.

For the tour, Gaga asked Haus member, Terry Richardson to be the photographer. The Haus met on January 29 at a rehearsal space to shot various concepts with part of a medieval castle set. A promotional poster of the tour was released on February 7, 2012, which features Gaga's face hovering over dark clouds looking down from the sky, and includes touches of neon purple and turquoise coloring. She is also fused into a keytar, standing near her dancers in front of a medieval castle.

The photograph with Gaga's face hovering was shot on December 5 of 2010 with a BlackBerry by the Haus of Gaga and was also previously used on poster for "Born This Way". The photographs by Terry Richardson with Gaga wearing a keytar dress was made by Perry Meek for the Haus.

In February 2012, a promotional image for the tour was released; she is wrapped in plastic outside the gates of the Electric Chapel.

They also decided to do a film / documentary of the making of the tour, the tour and her life during ité Richardson was both seen recording footage and taking photographs, which some of the later were released on his tumblr and Little Monsters page.

http://ladygaga.wikia.com/wiki/Born_This_Way_Ball/Background

Nemesis_

Demon Lovato is quitting Twitter

Demi Lovato has a long and twisted history with Twitter — and she recently quit the microblogging site yet again.

Lovato posted a small rant about trust on Jan. 3, writing, “Patience + communication = trust When you learn how to communicate with others, there’s almost no problem you can’t solve.” She added, “P.S. Only surround yourself with people who you CAN communicate with. Trust is a bond between TWO people that is found ONLY when they are able to listen/understand where the other person is coming from. That to me, is the key to friendships/ relationships.”

Of course, the world was pretty confused by it. While it’s great advice for sure, it also sort of came out of left field, leading a lot of sites to speculate that Lovato had split with on-again off-again boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama. (Last we knew, they were “on” — he was photographed visiting the ‘X Factor‘ set.) Her previous Twitter breaks have often coincided with their splits.

Before taking her Twitter hiatus, the ‘Give Your Heart a Break’ singer wrote, “I don’t get how people get “stories” from very vague twitter posts… About friendship…..??” She added, “Blehh. I really love my fans but I hate gossip sites… Gonna take a breather from twitter.. I love y’all!”

Lovato may well have simply referenced her own friends. Lovato rang in 2013 with coffee and friends, and she’s said previously that before she went to treatment that she didn’t surround herself with the right people. Her rep told Hollywood Life, “She tweets this stuff pretty often, sounds like sound life advice.”

In any case, we hope Demz comes back soon to share her words of wisdom with Lovatics and the world again soon!

iXyWxkYGgbAqR.gif

NeYo goes hipster on SIA

Ne-Yo, who is currently enjoying major radio success with his dance hit ‘Let Me Love You,’ isn’t afraid to share which songwriter he is most enamored with from a professional standpoint. He was proud to point out that he has been a fan of Australian singer-songwriter Sia from the get-go, before she got “big.”

You may not be instantly familiar with Sia’s name or face. But you may have seen her on Season 1 of ‘The Voice‘ as a mentor or heard her song ‘Titanium’ with David Guetta. Sia actually co-wrote ‘Let Me Love You,’ which is rare, since Ne-Yo doesn’t often do co-writes. She also penned ‘Diamonds by Rihanna. She sings on Flo Rida‘s ‘Wild Ones.’ So yeah, you’ve heard of Sia. You just might not have known it.

“For me personally, I’ve been a fan of Sia for a long time,” he told MTV News. “From Zero 7 to ‘Some People Have Real Problems,’ these are her albums and people that she worked with before she got popular, so to speak.”

He continued the Sia Gush Fest, saying, “She’s been incredible for a long time. Her mastery of melody, from just the way that she works, her words and phrases, it’s been incredible. And people are just now catching on! Y’all are late; everybody’s late. It’s been that way.”

Ne-Yo usually don’t seek assistance when writing tracks, but he was happy to include Sia in the process for ‘Let Me Love You.’

“‘Let Me Love You’ is that song means a lot to me. That’s one of the very few co-writes I’ve ever done,” he explained. “It was an opportunity for me to step out of my comfort zone for a minute and just really try something new in regards to working with other writers. Shout out to Sia who also had an incredible 2012.”

But back to Ne-Yo. The reason he, well, loves ‘Let Me Love You?’

“The song is about the importance of loving yourself, which I felt was something that’s few and far between these days, with everyone getting plastic surgery this and cosmetic surgery that and just not understanding that you being who you are is your perfection,” he said. “Everybody’s searching for this unreal perfection, and it’s kind of sad, so I feel like the song came along absolutely at the right time.”

It kind of annoys me that he pretends that you know, the WHOLE OF AUSTRALIA wasn't aware of her before she "made it big" with Guetta. I just don't like people who take these stupid "I WAS HERE BEFORE IT WAS BIG" attitudes tbh.

ibhZS64tD7VIMt.gif

Wilsongt

Nelly Furtado Doesn't Want To Make Pop Music Anymore

As Nelly Furtado prepares to hit the snow-covered road for the Canadian leg of her "Spirit Indestructible" tour beginning Jan. 8, the B.C.-born singer says she's taking a detour from the North American pop scene to head in a more mature direction.

The 34-year-old mother had been away from the spotlight for the much of the past six years — a not inconsequential time away considering her first hit "I'm Like A Bird" came out in 2000 — but her hands haven't been idle. Furtado released a Spanish album in 2009 and has kept herself busy supporting various global causes that are near and dear to her, including Free The Children's initiatives to improve the state of education for girls around the world.

In September, Furtado released her fifth studio album The Spirit Indestructible. The record explores themes of nostalgia, personal growth, and even the Arab Spring in a song titled "Believers," displaying a clear lyrical departure from her 10-million-selling 2006 album Loose's rowdier club jams like "Promiscuous Girl" and "Maneater."

In an exclusive interview with HuffPost Canada Music, Furtado talks about why her songs don't sound the same as they once did and what she hopes to give her fans moving forward.

gusV1.gif

Bladenic

Demon Lovato is quitting Twitter

iXyWxkYGgbAqR.gif

NeYo goes hipster on SIA

It kind of annoys me that he pretends that you know, the WHOLE OF AUSTRALIA wasn't aware of her before she "made it big" with Guetta. I just don't like people who take these stupid "I WAS HERE BEFORE IT WAS BIG" attitudes tbh.

ibhZS64tD7VIMt.gif

Good point. However, was she really that big or well known in Australia? Not shading or anything, but looking at Wikipedia her music never made much of an impact on the charts, at least not until her last album. Obviously someone can be known but not attain big success, so that's why I'm asking.

Nemesis_

Titanium was her first(?) song that brought her into mainstream, but most of her music was always enjoyed by most people I knew as we were going through high school and beginning of uni. Both her high tempo stuff and her low tempo stuff was quite popular here. You would always hear at least ONE song in the rotation at a party.

Maybe me and my classmates were all the hipsters I hate so much :/

Nemesis_

Angel Haze has posted a second diss track, Shut The Fuck Up

Listen to it here

Haze posted a second song verbally attacking her rival titled 'Shut The Fuck Up'. Seemingly explaining the raw nature of the track's sound on Twitter, meanwhile, she wrote: "You get an unmastered diss…you aint worth my studio time."

The song itself, meanwhile, features the lines:

"You thought that the Twitter shit was just for the blog
thought you wouldn't get your whole head cut the fuck off,"

and

"How much Twitter beef does it take to wanna make you get
into the studio and come with a different flow
not try to recreate '212' the only shit you know.​

However, Haze seemingly drew a line under their feud after she posted 'Shut The Fuck Up', writing on Twitter:
"Done. Last diss track you’ll ever hear from me. Later. Back to living my great ass life."

ibpMkUrCS4Z32o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom