• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

..and I don't mind one bit.

Everything in life should be a little homoerotic.

i3IPQHF8YviJz.gif

No.

Fey

Banned
Like peering into the twelfth realm of torment.

Britney's better off without some pale douchebag who sounds like he constantly has the tip of an erect penis rubbing against his sphincter walls.

ajhdjfshjhababahahahahahahomggg

ibss2aeu1K7HjY.gif

but in my vision of this britney+justin universe, the meltdown never happened and we still have this britney
tumblr_lu7l1mEPkY1qbzkquo1_500.gif

*.*

DMeisterJ

Banned
It gives me so much pleasure that a third-rate Britney feature on a Will.i.am song will no doubt outperform Justin "Sacred Cow" Timberlake's long awaited comeback. Byebitch.

We don't know if S&T will outpeak S&S but this week it will debut higher than S&S's current peak. You might have just clocked yourself.

What are the sales for S&S? someone should start keeping track of both them
ibsgX22Zc1yjo6.gif

will.i.am f/ Britney Spears, "Scream & Shout" (189,000) [1.312.000]

JT is amazing and y'all will be seated.

Not a lie.

Koodo

Banned
Such a SHAME. I actually read the entire Femme Fatale thread a few minutes ago. If only she knew Godney is still a winner without even trying.
ibsgX22Zc1yjo6.gif
Sis, I am perched for the magnum opus of OT creation that will be your thread for Album 8.
flirt.gif

cory64

ii7i9OoKMoJtn.png

In which we visit albums with hectic releases and messy tracklists (feel free to contribute an installment).

In the past 10 years, because of label conflicts, bonus track deals with stores, and digital releases, the pop album has become more insecure. In the old days, you pretty much just put all of your best that could fit on a vinyl record (~40-45 minutes) and left everything else for b-sides. That doesn't happen much anymore, and we come across many albums that are either just not quite there, mismatched in intent, or, for lack of a better term, bloated.

In honor of her upcoming fitfh studio album, today we visit what's arguably Beyoncé's best effort, 4.

u7i3TOG.jpg

4 represented a new direction for Bey, after the super messy I Am... Sasha Fierce, she went for more of a throwback sound. Nothing represents this shift better than the bright, bubbly number, "Love on Top." Another element of her sound for 4 involves inspiration from the work of Fela Kuti, best represented on "End of Time." These two strong styles make for a great mix, but also make singles like Irreplaceable 2.0, "Best Thing I Never Had," and the boppy but misguided first single "Run The World (Girls)" discordant with the majority of the album. Seriously, what are those songs doing here? Another clunker would be the Dianne Warren penned snoozer "I Was Here," and while "Rather Die Young" does fit the throwback theme, it runs itself into the ground with repetitiveness.

But what of the themes on 4? Seemingly, it's about reconciling her undying love for someone and enjoying her current situation in life. "Love on Top" again shows itself as something of a thesis statement for the album, and I think it should get the opening slot. While "1+1" is a stunning opener, it would be an even more stunning closer, as it serves glorious "Purple Rain" teas. The original album's "Countdown" > "End of Time" combo near the end is pretty flawless, so it will be kept.

In total, there are 16 songs that have been officially released from the 4 era, including 3 bonus tracks, all of which slay and fit within the themes and style of 4. Not the dreadful Japanese bonus track tho.
"Schoolin' Life"
"Lay Up Under Me"
"Dance For You"

So, finally,

1. Love on Top
2. Party
3. I Care
4. I Miss You
5. Start Over
6. Dance For You
7. Lay Up Under Me
8. Schoolin' Life
9. Countdown
10. End of Time
11. 1+1

I think this way, it's a bit more logical and really turns it into something legendary. Unfortunately, the 4 era was handled so poorly that RCA could have done a better job.

Next time... does that reign let up?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Because he's not a flabby teenager with 4 clones who have less (vocal, because those k-pop girls can DANCE) talent spread among them than a Korean pop group.

flirt.gif

The impact of 1DGaf to have the influence of overgeneralizing all of PopGAF just by our taste

See the boys in the club
They watching us
They watching us
They watching us
Everybody in the club
All eyes on us
All eyes on us
All eyes on us

ibk9jE2IONNqKj.gif

Hey! I'm ready for some QUALITY testosterone in Pop.
Will this ever happen? It seem the pop game is designed to appeal to as many little girls as possible. Apparently little girls (and gays) only like music music made by girls/women and little boys.

When is the last time a MAN was popular in pop music?

ib0y0PnfFoVwYi.gif

ii7i9OoKMoJtn.png

In which we visit albums with hectic releases and messy tracklists (feel free to contribute an installment).
I love these posts, Coryboo. So many times there are albums with head-scratching sequencing decisions (why is Break the Ice not the first song on Blackout?!). Thank lawd we live in the mp3 playlist age.
flirt.gif

Will this ever happen? It seem the pop game is designed to appeal to as many little girls as possible. Apparently little girls (and gays) only like music music made by girls/women and little boys.

When is the last tie a MAN was popular in pop music?

Maybe it'll happen when a man gets off his ass and delivers something good. Not here for this Bruno/1D/Pitbull/Flo Rida shit.

Kyon

Banned
Sis, I am perched for the magnum opus of OT creation that will be your thread for Album 8.
flirt.gif

SISSSSSS!!! Do you really think I'm WORTHY of such an HONOR?
flirt.gif

Thanks, if the outcome is right I might just stan Britney
ibsgX22Zc1yjo6.gif

*.*

The impact of 1DGaf to have the influence of overgeneralizing all of PopGAF just by our taste

See the boys in the club
They watching us
They watching us
They watching us
Everybody in the club
All eyes on us
All eyes on us
All eyes on us

ibk9jE2IONNqKj.gif

We shall open temporary Army registration forms soon
flirt.gif

Artemisia

Banned
ii7i9OoKMoJtn.png

In the past 10 years, because of label conflicts, bonus track deals with stores, and digital releases, the pop album has become more insecure. In the old days, you pretty much just put all of your best that could fit on a vinyl record (~40-45 minutes) and left everything else for b-sides. That doesn't happen much anymore, and we come across many albums that are either just not quite there, mismatched in intent, or, for lack of a better term, bloated.

In honor of her upcoming fitfh studio album, today we visit what's arguably Beyoncé's best effort, 4.

u7i3TOG.jpg

4 represented a new direction for Bey, after the super messy I Am... Sasha Fierce, she went for more of a throwback sound. Nothing represents this shift better than the bright, bubbly number, "Love on Top." Another element of her sound for 4 involves inspiration from the work of Fela Kuti, best represented on "End of Time." These two strong styles make for a great mix, but also make singles like Irreplaceable 2.0, "Best Thing I Never Had," and the boppy but misguided first single "Run The World (Girls)" discordant with the majority of the album. Seriously, what are those songs doing here? Another clunker would be the Dianne Warren penned snoozer "I Was Here," and while "Rather Die Young" does fit the throwback theme, it runs itself into the ground with repetitiveness.

But what of the themes on 4? Seemingly, it's about reconciling her undying love for someone and enjoying her current situation in life. "Love on Top" again shows itself as something of a thesis statement for the album, and I think it should get the opening slot. While "1+1" is a stunning opener, it would be an even more stunning closer, as it serves glorious "Purple Rain" teas. The original album's "Countdown" > "End of Time" combo near the end is pretty flawless, so it will be kept.

In total, there are 16 songs that have been officially released from the 4 era, including 3 bonus tracks, all of which slay and fit within the themes and style of 4. Not the dreadful Japanese bonus track tho.
"Schoolin' Life"
"Lay Up Under Me"
"Dance For You"

So, finally,

1. Love on Top
2. Party
3. I Care
4. I Miss You
5. Start Over
6. Dance For You
7. Lay Up Under Me
8. Schoolin' Life
9. Countdown
10. End of Time
11. 1+1

I think this way, it's a bit more logical and really turns it into something legendary. Unfortunately, the 4 era was handled so poorly that RCA could have done a better job.

Next time... does that reign let up?

I cannot with how much this post mirrors my view on the album. I would have replaced the exact tracks that you chose to boot. Bless.

Justin Timberlake is the best male popstar of the last decade. Suit & Tie was ok and I know there's much better to come.

Fair point and I imagine there are better songs in the pipeline.

He almost certainly is the best male pop star of the last decade (though he hasn't had much competition until recently).

We will see. I am not sure the public will here there for him......

Bye.

The new Prince of Pop is already here

a957422163a73066e02a174e092604e14a828828

Oh and you can also count 1D

lol I was going to bring it up but decided against it before....but since you did.

It will be VERY interesting to see how they perform head to head. JT was on the way out when Bieber started coming on to the scene in earnest. They have really never been competing till now.

(I don't really think JT and 1D are after the same market. Their music isn't really at all similar anymore.)

Oh, I forgot we've cycled back to hating Suit and Tie.

I can't with people who don't stan for both JT albums. Like, did all that shit you were eating plug your ears?

waiT, I see that avatar Marius

#DEAD

MmfIMZP.png

Justin Bieber is not on Timberlake's level in any way. Bieber lacks charisma and comes across really vacuuous in interviews, he's not a great dancer, he's an adequate singer, and he's a bit of a tool. Even his good songs e.g As Long As You Love Me would be done better by Timberlake. No one's body would have been ready if that was his lead single.
I am not here for Bieber but he has improved significantly with his last album. His music is decent and his dancing has FAR improved.

(I agree he is very flat in interviews though)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Justin Bieber is not on Timberlake's level in any way. Bieber lacks charisma and comes across really vacuuous in interviews, he's not a great dancer, he's an adequate singer, and he's a bit of a tool. Even his good songs e.g As Long As You Love Me would be done better by Timberlake. No one's body would have been ready if that was his lead single.

Agrih'd.

I like Bieber as much as the next person, but let's not compare FS/LS to Believe. It is outclassed in every way. Not that it's an issue since FS/LS slays, but they're not comparable. I'll always like Bieber because of BaaB, though that could be because of Nicki.

botty

Banned

This album is absolute trash. I don't see how you can say: "4 represented a new direction for Bey, after the super messy I Am... Sasha Fierce, she went for more of a throwback sound." When B'day also had a throwback sound throughout the entire album, with far more successful songs (in terms of quality and sales). And as far as themes go, Beyonce has been tossing around the same tired themes since Dangerously In Love, which has FAR superior songs about loving someone than 4. "Baby Boy," Dangerously In Love," and "Crazy in Love" shit on pretty much everything in 4 with a love theme, sans "I Miss U."

I think the true theme you're talking about in 4 is: "let's take what I have done in the past and try to recreate it." This is where you get songs like "Run The World" (Single ladies clone), "Best Thing I Never Had" (Irreplaceable clone), or "I Was Here" (Listen clone). The way some girls around here try to claim these songs are fresh just goes to show how new to the Beyonce stan game they are. I will give Beyonce credit for having better vocals on this album than her past efforts. However, I refuse to sit her and let this album be held as her best when the creativity and soul of 4 is as absent as the melanin in Beyonce's skin.

ib13VVDZFLh7tD.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom