• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

lol I was going to bring it up but decided against it before....but since you did.

It will be VERY interesting to see how they perform head to head. JT was on the way out when Bieber started coming on to the scene in earnest. They have really never been competing till now.

(I don't really think JT and 1D are after the same market. Their music isn't really at all similar anymore.)

I really don't think the two are competing now.

People thinking this have forgotten that 7 years have passed since JT was hot on the scene. Now he's old, less attractive, married to one of the most disgusting women in Hollywood, 10x douchier, and creatively tapped. The teeny boppers are list to him. He'll, his old audience may be lost to him, putting out vile shit like Suit and Tie.

royalan

This album is absolute trash. I don't see how you can say: "4 represented a new direction for Bey, after the super messy I Am... Sasha Fierce, she went for more of a throwback sound." When B'day also had a throwback sound throughout the entire album, with far more successful songs (in terms of quality and sales). And as far as themes go, Beyonce has been tossing around the same tired themes since Dangerously In Love, which has FAR superior songs about loving someone than 4. "Baby Boy," Dangerously In Love," and "Crazy in Love" shit on pretty much everything in 4 with a love theme, sans "I Miss U."

I think the true theme you're talking about in 4 is: "let's take what I have done in the past and try to recreate it." This is where you get songs like "Run The World" (Single ladies clone), "Best Thing I Never Had" (Irreplaceable clone), or "I Was Here" (Listen clone). The way some girls around here try to claim these songs are fresh just goes to show how new to the Beyonce stan game they are. I will give Beyonce credit for having better vocals on this album than her past efforts. However, I refuse to sit her and let this album be held as her best when the creativity and soul of 4 is as absent as the melanin in Beyonce's skin.

ib13VVDZFLh7tD.gif

TELLLLLLLLL ITTTTTTTTT SISSSSSSSS!!!!

I really don't think the two are competing now.

People thinking this have forgotten that 7 years have passed since JT was hot on the scene. Now he's old, less attractive, married to one of the most disgusting women in Hollywood, 10x douchier, and creatively tapped. The teeny boppers are list to him. He'll, his old audience may be lost to him, putting out vile shit like Suit and Tie.

We will see. I certainly don't think S&T will help his chances, but I do think there is a chance that the public will still be there for him.

I don't think he has a big chance of getting back to where he was though. Bieber is simply a step ahead of him in that respect. Bruno Mars is also taking up a lot of oxygen in the market JT thrived in.

botty

Banned
This is hilarious - "B'Day also had a throwback sound" HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Run The World a clone of Single Ladies? What?..

B'Day's sound is basically an homage to funk, and 70's R&B/soul. Though, you probably weren't born when the album came out so I can't really hold it against you.

iReI9DtgAN14.gif

Delio

Sigh I need new 1D music..or some new boyband or SOMETHING. God...I hope Union J's single actually does something to me and isnt some ballad. Oh right the Wanted's new album is coming soon. *yawn*

cory64

I think the true theme you're talking about in 4 is: "let's take what I have done in the past and try to recreate it." This is where you get songs like "Run The World" (Single ladies clone), "Best Thing I Never Had" (Irreplaceable clone), or "I Was Here" (Listen clone). The way some girls around here try to claim these songs are fresh just goes to show how new to the Beyonce stan game they are. I will give Beyonce credit for having better vocals on this album than her past efforts. However, I refuse to sit her and let this album be held as her best when the creativity and soul of 4 is as absent as the melanin in Beyonce's skin.

ib13VVDZFLh7tD.gif

what? Did you not see me throw those EXACT tracks in the trash can?

lol "I Am" is the only Beyonce album I own (I tended to buy singles until recently)......maybe that is why I don't stan her.

Sigh I need new 1D music..or some new boyband or SOMETHING. God...I hope Union J's single actually does something to me and isnt some ballad. Oh right the Wanted's new album is coming soon. *yawn*

Yeah I am kind of bored.

1D's Stand Up from their first album is slaying me right now (despite its cheesiness).

I hope Union J works out....we should have a first single soon I imagine

There are so many albums coming out this year that I am not worried though.

Delio

lol "I Am" is the only Beyonce album I own (I tended to buy singles until recently)......maybe that is why I don't stan her.

Yeah I am kind of bored.

1D's Stand Up from their first album is slaying me right now (despite its cheesiness).

There are so many albums coming out this year that I am not worried though.

True but Im just in a funk right now. Im getting my music teas from other sources than mainstream now. Im just..wanting Union J to really break out and be great.

First single is in March.

Artemisia

Banned
Like most pop music, Beyonce's music abuses themes about love. But there is a big difference on how they are used when you compare B'Day (and some of DIL) to 4.
If you pay attention to the lyrics on both albums you will notice that B'Day is a lot more raunchy and explicit than 4. B'Day has lyrics such as "Give it to mama", "my man gon' take it off tonight", "your sexiness is so appealing I can't let it go", and then there's the intro to Suga Mama.

The lyrics on 4 bring images of a more pure (I guess mature is a better word) relationship (1+1, Love On Top) and dedication (Countdown, End of Time, Rather Die Young).

I Am and Sasha Fierce can be split. I Am has flawless Halo, Disappear, If I Were A Boy. But the only great songs on Sasha Fierce is Sweet Dreams and possibly Scared of Lonely. I Am... is just plain better than most of her work. But idc, y'all can continue to sleep on this flawless double disc.

Satch

Banned
any list ranking I Am... better than 4 is invalid on the grounds that only people without tinnitus-afflicted hearing are allowed to participate

cory64

Like most pop music, Beyonce's music abuses themes about love. But there is a big difference on how they are used when you compare B'Day (and some of DIL) to 4.
If you pay attention to the lyrics on both albums you will notice that B'Day is a lot more raunchy and explicit than 4. B'Day has lyrics such as "Give it to mama", "my man gon' take it off tonight", "your sexiness is so appealing I can't let it go", and then there's the intro to Suga Mama.

The lyrics on 4 bring images of a more pure (I guess mature is a better word) relationship (1+1, Love On Top) and dedication (Countdown, End of Time, Rather Die Young).

Why do you always forget to lie?

botty

Banned
what? Did you not see me throw those EXACT tracks in the trash can?

What does it matter? I am still disputing other points you brought up, in addition to addressing some of the other people in this thread that make the claim that 4 is fresh and her best album.

go easy on him

he's a republican and you know they have the reading comprehension of a glazed donut with sprinkles

this was bad.

trash2.gif

Jamie is the light of the group. ( despite my obvious bias to George's cute twinkness.)

tumblr_mgzo13nfiY1s40svwo4_250.gif

O MY LORD why would i check for The Wanted?

Eh I will probably check out The Wanted's album....I actually owned their first one LONG before I stanned 1D
Amazing 99c album sale
. I mainly drag them simply because they are 1D's rivals (and I legit don't like their music as much).

I personally think that The Wanted are done....but we will see.
Union J and 1D strike me as two groups both aiming at the same demographic. No chance for them to succeed with 1D Domination in effect.

iI4SX2AJB36Lu.gif

I used to think that as well. Then I listened to some of their later performances on X Factor.

Their lead singer, Jaymi, is a legit vocalist. Probably better than ANY pop male on the scene right now. That is the only reason I give them a chance. I think there is a niche is the pop market for a very good male singer.

Artemisia

Banned
What does it matter? I am still disputing other points you brought up, in addition to addressing some of the other people in this thread that make the claim that 4 is fresh and her best album.

How is it not fresh compared to past works?

Where are the songs like Countdown, I Miss You, I Care, and 1+1 on her first 3 albums?

4 shows a progression in the sound of her music and also a growth in maturity.

royalan

How is it not fresh compared to past works?

Where are the songs like Countdown, I Miss You, I Care, and 1+1 on her first 3 albums?

4 shows a progression in the sound of her music and also a growth in maturity.

Girl, she had those bases covered on her DEBUT.

Koodo

Banned
I actually wouldn't change anything about the standard tracklist of 4. Thematically speaking, it's consistent and tells a story the whole way through (up until "I Was Here," at least).

The way I see it, the album's subject matter is roughly divided between a doomed and successful relationships. Tracks 1-4 deal with the failed relationship, and Tracks 5-10 deal with the fostering, maintenance and solidification of eternal love.

It's only fitting that 1+1 opens the album because it presents the concept of love in a very simplistic and mathematical way, and a successful relationship is anything but simple. This is why the second half of the album, dealing with success in love, takes about three songs of development and road bumps until she finally starts professing a deep attachment to the other person; this section is culminated with End of Time, the affirmation that she has indeed found eternal love.

I Was Here, though not exactly part of the prior narrative, nevertheless fits with the theme since a successful relationship could be taken as "leaving a mark" on this world. The one inconsistency seems to be Run The World, but I can't hate too much on a boppy album closer since I'm quite frankly sick of albums ending on a slow note.

And that is why 4 is her best album.
i7twyFNvkXuch.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom