• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I didn't respond to the mess because I don't play into speculation. We don't know what will happen if she were to take a significant amount of time off, and we don't know if anyone is able to comeback from a significant time off. That is pure speculation and stan wet dreams about Rih being forgotten because there's no blueprint that shows that it will actually happen.

As to the releasing multiple singles to different markets, this is again something that isn't exclusive to Rih. It's smart to capitalize on all the markets you're successful in if you're a multi-format artist.

Sales sales sales sales sales *froths at the mouth*

It's too bad for the navy that the rest of the world doesn't bop to profit margins.

It's not 'sales sales sales', the sales prove that clearly lots of people are here for her. When we bring up sales, we're not directly referencing her bank account (although that is a nice side effect), we're showing that people are HERE for her and sales are the easiest metric to show that. Whether or not she's 'good' or not is subjective, so there's no point in having an argument over that.

Trigger

Yeah, at this point I don't think Rihanna would be forgotten as easily as people want to think in this thread. I would have Beylieved that maybe two years ago, but at this point she's been slaying too long and too consistently, with too many number 1 hits - solo and featured. Records broken, impact undeniable (I mean, I wonder who gave Bey the idea to record with Sia?).

I think it's increasingly delusional to believe that all of that means nothing and that her presence on the Pop scene is a fleeting one. If anyone has to worry about that at this point it's fucking Gaga.

Rihanna IS the new pop culture Madonna, and it's commendable that she managed to accomplish this without directly ripping off Madonna (again, sorry Gaga).

People can remain pressed, but all of this a moot point because Rihanna ain't going nowhere. at 24 years old her hits are only going to accumulate, her impact only grow, which is damn embarrassing since she's already surpassed many of the so-called "Queens."

All Rihanna needs now is a worldwide smash tour and there will be nothing, literally nothing, that could be said to deny her reign that wouldn't be an exercise in utmost delusion.

FqZoO.gif

No, it's pretty apparent that the salessalesalessales arguement is all the navy ever falls back on. It's tired. She brings out the hits. But she also puts out mediocre albums with 80% filler. The difference between Rihanna and the other pop girls is that you can listen to their albums all the way through without skipping.

Altho now that Roy is stanning Rih, I am scared for her future ;___;

royalan

No, it's pretty apparent that the salessalesalessales arguement is all the navy ever falls back on. It's tired. She brings out the hits. But she also puts out mediocre albums with 80% filler. The difference between Rihanna and the other pop girls is that you can listen to their albums all the way through without skipping.

I don't stan Rih. But DAMN, as delusional as you guys like to claim I am, apparently I'm not as delusional as the lot of you. Rihanna IS the Queen. There's just no denying it at this point. It's simply a FACT that transcends who you stan for.

And the sad thing is NOBODY deserves that title more than her. Claim her to be as manufactured as you want, and it's true, she's still worked her ass off to be in the spot that she is in now - namely, on top of the big trash pile that is the pop scene of the last 3 years.

People act like churning out new albums full of hits and promoting them globally every six months is easy. Well, it's not. If it were, the wretches you all stan for wouldn't be at Rihanna's door begging for their wigs back.

Rihanna the new pop culture Madonna??

The only thing they have in common is that they're head-strong women. Surprise though, most of these women are head-strong. Rihanna may be ballsy but she's hardly referential, and hardly uses the genre as a bandwagon for social commentary or political activism. That's what made Madonna what she is now. If there's anyone that comes close to being a "pop culture Madonna" it's obviously Lady Gaga, because she like Madonna is a cumulative artist who has a multi-tiered approach to her music. It's frankly insulting to Madonna's legacy that the only metric for who can replace her is someone who's not afraid to take her clothes off in a video. That's complete bullshit. If there's anyone in pop culture that Rihanna's followed so far, it's been Christina Aguilera. Mainstream generally knows her name and her songs, but she's known more for just being "provocative" or "slutty" than actually being an intellectual, an autuer, or being a legitimate mascot for the pop genre.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Well you think that her album is 80% filler. I don't. So where can you really go with that argument if you use that basis to say whether people want her around? Sales is the easiest and the most reliable metric to discuss her present and future in the industry, not what some flop stan of some flop artist who can't move albums or singles thinks about her album.

dismiss yourself.

royalan

Rihanna the new pop culture Madonna??

The only thing they have in common is that they're head-strong women. Surprise though, most of these women are head-strong. Rihanna may be ballsy but she's hardly referential, and hardly uses the genre as a bandwagon for social commentary or political activism. That's what made Madonna what she is now. If there's anyone that comes close to being a "pop culture Madonna" it's obviously Lady Gaga, because she like Madonna is a cumulative artist who has a multi-tiered approach to her music. It's frankly insulting to Madonna's legacy that the only metric for who can replace her is someone who's not afraid to take her clothes off in a video. That's complete bullshit. If there's anyone in pop culture that Rihanna's followed so far, it's been Christina Aguilera. Mainstream generally knows her name and her songs, but she's known more for just being "provocative" or "slutty" than actually being an intellectual, an autuer, or being a legitimate mascot for the pop genre.

But who said that, tho?

The reason why I'm comparing her to Madonna is that not only is she really the only artist who has matched early Madonna's consistent chart success (moreso than Gaga by a country mile at this point), but she's also the closest to her when it comes to Pop culture impact. Rihanna IS Pop culture at this point. From her fashion, to her relationships, to everything she says and fucking does (I mean, pretty much ALL of her twitter hashtags are pop culture lexicon, at this point). She lives and breathes this life. She stays current. She stays relevant. She DICTATES the pop scene. She may be lacking the activist component Madonna had, but I don't think that's enough to discredit her when in every other way she exhibits the type of absolute dominance of the music and culture that early Madonna did.

There was a point where Gaga was obviously on the fast track to that status, but where Gaga fucked up royally was by thinking that, to be the new Madonna, you had to...well, BE Madonna. That doesn't work. That makes you a tribute act. She also fucked up by letting herself get too fucking weird, frankly. I'd say there was a point, up until midway through the Fame Monster era, where Gaga genuinely was the commanding force in Pop culture. But since then she's become too strange, too niche, too sequestered in her own Monster bubble that she's created for herself that she's really no longer that pop culture force. Nobody really talks about Gaga like they used to. She's no longer tabloid fodder like she used to be. And she's done the weird schtick so fucking long that she's no longer even as interesting as she used to be. And hey, maybe that's how she wants it. But all of this DOES mean she's been clocked.

We'll see with her ARTPOP era, which I think will be a very important moment for her in terms of where her career goes. But I definitely think at this point that Gaga is in the most danger of becoming more of a generational footnote than a true icon. And she doesn't hold a candle to Rihanna's impact. That's for damn sure.

Nemesis_

I hope ARTPOP is the beginning of Gaga's return to form.
nULmZ.png

iIHK82cQkAU3I.gif

I can tell you aren't a proper believer yet. You need to go to the BTWB at LEAST. Especially considering the other SHIT you stan for. :)

icCMqBiKodrZd.gif

There is nothing to RETURN to. She has been in TOP FORM since her BEGINNING.

Haters can seethe.

Kyon

Banned
Even some of her biggest Monsters(me) thought BTW was a mess.

That Azealia video made me DIE INSIDE because of the HYPE. ARTPOP will be her return to FORM.

Nemesis_

Even some of her biggest Monsters(me) thought BTW was a mess.

I don't use that as a metric though. There's heaps of tracks on BTW that I can use safely, admitedly more so after seeing them performed live.

I still can't use Bad Kids, The Queen of FOHL. That's really about it. But I don't wanna incite this cycle of discussing which of Gaga's albums are better ;_;

It's a different album, and it's one that Gaga can rather safely call her own. That alone is more than some other popstars can claim.

That Azealia video made me DIE INSIDE because of the HYPE. ARTPOP will be her return to FORM.

I don't think Red Flame will make the cut personally, but we'll see.

Mau ®

Rihanna "forgettable & replaceable" Fenty has added another STADIUM date in France. This makes it her 4th french Diamonds World Tour date (2 stadiums, 2 arenas).

I guess the French didnt forget to buy tickets to her tour at full price tho... like they did with some other girls. :)

Fey

Banned
i think rihanna is the closest to madonna in terms of today's pop stars, too. she has proven that she can stay around and she has several memorable songs and has, to a lesser extent, reinvented herself with each era. i used to think umbrella/gggb era would be rihanna's peak and most successful era and her popularity would go downhill from there but she has proven me wrong, and has been able to add more iconic songs to her credit.

and, like roy also said, rihanna has done all this without obviously relying on things that madonna is well known for doing.

i just wish rihanna worked harder on her performances and made (overall) better albums.

Kyon

Banned
Ain't it sad?

Devoid of any real argument against Rihanna's crowning as Queen they now have to construct a false reality wherein Rihanna's SUCCESS is a bad thing.

When their faves have NONE it comes to no surprise @ the lessors SCREAMING "LOL SALEZ" it's just a sad REMINDER of how much their faves don't MATTER
c3ed7b23.gif

When their faves have NONE it comes to no surprise @ the lessors SCREAMING "LOL SALEZ" it's just a sad REMINDER of how much their faves don't MATTER
c3ed7b23.gif

I have to agree with this.

While you may or may not like Rih's music, sales do matter in that they represent the popularity of an artist. (and by extension how many people DO like their music)

No one can come for Rih's $$$ power without looking petty.

Yes #NAVY uses sales receipts a lot, but its not like they don't also like her music as well.

Kyon

Banned
Gaga's problem is that she became too exclusive.

Go on :eek:

EDIT: you mean to her monsters? Like she used to be accessible to the mass music audience then with BTW she just became a artist who released music that only her fans would like?

royalan

The more I think about it...maybe I should Stan Rihanna. She really is a continuation of the Stripped-type popstar.

Unapologetically fierce.

Unapologetically feminine.

In-your-face.

Almost militantly sexual.

But equally vulnerable, exposed, and gut-wrenching at times.

While none of Rihanna's discography comes close to the iconic brilliance of Xtina's Stripped, I'd say she doing a well enough job carrying the torch. *.*

cory64

She's become unhealthily geared toward her fanbase. Maybe not entirely with her music, but everything else about her.

Roy :')

Bladenic

It's not like sales are the only thing Rihanna has. Her albums aren't reviled critically, and they even get some acclaim. She has Grammys and plenty of nominations. She's not as one note as many would say.

Whether you like her music, that's subjective.

Trigger

The more I think about it...maybe I should Stan Rihanna. She really is a continuation of the Stripped-type popstar.

Unapologetically fierce.

Unapologetically feminine.

In-your-face.

Almost militantly sexual.

But equally vulnerable, exposed, and gut-wrenching at times.

While none of Rihanna's discography comes close to the iconic brilliance of Xtina's Stripped, I'd say she doing a well enough job carrying the torch. *.*

What a lovely post. *O*.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Gaga interview with GGD

Gaga said:
After talking about ARTPOP, we were discussing how music is kind of boring right now. Gaga thinks the problem with modern artists is that they’re “afraid to get their hands dirty.”

I see these lies.

Gaga said:
After saying that, she confessed ARTPOP was actually very much inspired by the Phoenix and its ability to rise from the ashes.

This quote reminds me of Xtina's quote around Lotus

There's more, but I see she's trying it with the pretentiousness and acting as if no one else are 'getting their hands dirty' with music.

x

--

Taylor Swift films '22' dressed as Harry Styles.

630047_original.png

The subtlety. The nuance. Only Swift.

Taylor is as subtle as a jackhammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom