• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've yet to see yours.

ivf4QcMUKzRY9.gif

BaRnI7k.gif
BaRnI7k.gif
BaRnI7k.gif
BaRnI7k.gif

I love Thrift Shop.

I don't hate it.

Its one of those songs I can't listen to on the radio/ipod though. I have to have it with the music video.

Same goes for Gangnam Style, every Gaga song ever, and most of Avril's discography.

Funny enough with my fav's its the opposite.....I despise their music video's.

Thift Shit is dying as the next fad song comes in.

Will believe it when I see it.

botty

Banned
Will believe it when I see it.

Harlem Shake will probably replace it. The song reaches even new depths of stupidity, which is what I assume the Call Me Maybe -> Gangnum Style -> Thrift Shop listeners have been waiting for.

Too busy listening to Phresh out the runway to care anyway.

ibuZU9Yq1NRE3a.gif

Regarding the Super Bowl performance, you guys are almost acting like the performance hurt her more than if she wasn't even performing. The gig was an exposure strategy, it was obviously not meant to promote her next work. The difference between this and Madonna's performance was that the latter actually bandwagonned a new single, whereas in Beyonce's case there was no intention of selling singles so much as having the artist re-emerge into the spotlight. It's completely silly that some people in here are only using iTunes song sales as the metric for someone's success, especially for a performance that didn't showcase anything new. Sales come and go, but an artist's capital can stick around for a long time, and the capital strategy is something so ubiquitous that it's common practice now.

So far Beyonce has been in the spotlight (and in news stories) consistently this year. She's back on people's minds, and she used it to sell out her concert's pre-sales at record time and get a fuckton of attention on her Superbowl performance. People STILL talk about it here at work. It did a great job at reminding people that she's the best that pop's got. Exposure is much more valuable than you think it is, and declaring that the Superbowl performance somehow hindered the chances of an album that hasn't been announced yet is nonsense. Some of you guys lately...

Kyon

Banned
Let me struT

iEGWw46ZfGLHk.gif

EDIT: Soul hun NO. Promoting a single is not BANDWAGON or DESPERATE its SMART and CALCULATING. Precisely why Bey failed to IMPRESS the general AUDIENCE. SLAYAGE performance aside.

Mau ®

Make no mistake hoes. I've been keeping receipts from the baboons who said Unapologetic didnt have any hits besides Diamonds and I will clock each and every single of you.

You know who you are. The clocking is coming.

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

botty

Banned
Make no mistake hoes. I've been keeping receipts from the baboons who said Unapologetic didnt have any hits besides Diamonds and I will clock each and every single of you.

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

No other song will reach Diamonds' success. I stan by that prediction.

iUNE1nOuRIFDV.gif

royalan

Regarding the Super Bowl performance, you guys are almost acting like the performance hurt her more than if she wasn't even performing. The gig was an exposure strategy, it was obviously not meant to promote her next work. The difference between this and Madonna's performance was that the latter actually bandwagonned a new single, whereas in Beyonce's case there was no intention of selling singles so much as having the artist re-emerge into the spotlight. It's completely silly that some people in here are only using iTunes song sales as the metric for someone's success, especially for a performance that didn't showcase anything new. Sales come and go, but an artist's capital can stick around for a long time.

So far Beyonce has been in the spotlight (and in news stories) consistently this year. She's back on people's minds, and she used it to sell out her concert's pre-sales at record time and get a fuckton of attention on her Superbowl performance. People STILL talk about it here at work. It did a great job at reminding people that she's the best that pop's got. Exposure is much more valuable than you think it is, and declaring that the Superbowl performance somehow hindered the chances of an album that hasn't been announced yet is nonsense. Some of you guys lately...

You know I <3 you sis, But I think you give way too much credit to the work ethic regardless of the quality of the actual work itself.

Bey's material is not the best Pop's got. Not by a long shot.

Kyon

Banned

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

Thought it 'twas me except not really cause I said Right Now would smash so nvm

The album as a whole is still vastly disappointing for me but still got dem 4 hits in dere

iEGWw46ZfGLHk.gif

I am pretty sure I made no such prediction. I still say that the album as a whole was pretty mediocre and lacks true standout or potentially "iconic" tracks, which I still stand behind.

I do acknowledge that so far the era has been going as well as could have been expected.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The fact that "Harlem Shake" is clocking iTunes and threatening Rih's full week at #1 is making me pressed. These gimmick songs are a blight on the industry and I will be super-bothered if Rih doesn't clock #1 on Digital Songs this week because of this fuckery. It's already going to be virgin tight because of Thrift Shop.

ibd8kGhyNt3RBv.gif

iUNE1nOuRIFDV.gif

#1 wise, "Stay" probably wont because of not streaming, but it is likely that it will clock it digitally (Diamonds is at 2.555 million).

Trigger

Regarding the Super Bowl performance, you guys are almost acting like the performance hurt her more than if she wasn't even performing. The gig was an exposure strategy, it was obviously not meant to promote her next work. The difference between this and Madonna's performance was that the latter actually bandwagonned a new single, whereas in Beyonce's case there was no intention of selling singles so much as having the artist re-emerge into the spotlight. It's completely silly that some people in here are only using iTunes song sales as the metric for someone's success, especially for a performance that didn't showcase anything new. Sales come and go, but an artist's capital can stick around for a long time, and the capital strategy is something so ubiquitous that it's common practice now.

I don't think the performance hindered her so much as I don't think she used it optimally. We're several weeks away from the performance and the inauguration, and yet there's still no name for 5, no single release, etc. I don't understand her logic in delaying that. In theory, your coworkers should be talking about her new single too.

Maybe I'm just anxious for new music.
bhuHH.gif

royalan

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

Just to spare my own wig, you should also have a receipt of me shading Rihanna BUT also saying that if she slays with Diamonds/Unapologetic I would have to change my opinion of ha. And not only did she slay she clocked her first #1 album. I have since allowed myself to accept the truth about her reign.

So don't come for me. ;____;

Nemesis_

Oh no someone on the internet might post an image of a post I made previously about something.

isPOGRxnh3W5i.gif

Flattered anyone would bother, tbh.

iZjaL1w54lNFT.gif

Mau ®

iUNE1nOuRIFDV.gif

I am pretty sure I made no such prediction. I still say that the album as a whole was pretty mediocre and lacks true standout or potentially "iconic" tracks, which I still stand behind.

I do acknowledge that so far the era has been going as well as could have been expected.

Well I didnt direct that at you two. I didnt have receipts on any of you kiii

iEGWw46ZfGLHk.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm gonna guess that Stay will be at around 500k and Unapologetic will be around 750k after this week's sales.

Yeah, Stay will be 500k+ after next week since it'll do > 350k this week. Unapologetic clocking 70k to arrive at 750 would be tough. It's only top 20 rn. I think 40-50k is much more likely. Either way, it's well on it's way to being her SIXTH platinum album IN A ROW.

That reign.

botty

Banned
The fact that "Harlem Shake" is clocking iTunes and threatening Rih's full week at #1 is making me pressed. These gimmick songs are a blight on the industry and I will be super-bothered if Rih doesn't clock #1 on Digital Songs this week because of this fuckery. It's already going to be virgin tight because of Thrift Shop.

#1 wise, "Stay" probably wont because of not streaming, but it is likely that it will clock it digitally (Diamonds is at 2.555 million).

You know a song is absolute filth when Rihanna stans are being judgemental.

iXAqfAndQ9THU.gif

Well I didnt direct that at you two. I didnt have receipts on any of you kiii

Lol yeah I figured.

I simply wouldn't hold it against them if they DID say that, because I don't think it was much of a stretch to make that prediction.
Even those who liked Unapologetic never claimed it would pull a Katy Perry and produce #1 after #1. Its just not that type of album.

Personally I think Stay will be a moderate hit, but Diamonds will remain the only "big" hit that the album produces.

Mau ®

Just to spare my own wig, you should also have a receipt of me shading Rihanna BUT also saying that if she slays with Diamonds/Unapologetic I would have to change my opinion of ha. And not only did she slay she clocked her first #1 album. I have since allowed myself to accept the truth about her reign.

So don't come for me. ;____;

I never had you in my sights sis ;____;

Oh no someone on the internet might post an image of a post I made previously about something.

isPOGRxnh3W5i.gif

I don't know what's your problem with me lately but...

tumblr_m529wcYdf71r3ce4go1_500.gif

royalan

I don't listen to radio much, so I'm confused...

There's ANOTHER Harlem Shake?

Didn't we have a Harlem Shake back in, like, 2002 or some shit?

DMeisterJ

Banned
You know a song is absolute filth when Rihanna stans are being judgemental.

iXAqfAndQ9THU.gif

It's not even a fucking song. It's an instrumental. And on top of that, there are millions and millions of views of millions of videos on YT. Like, I don't even get it. Now I get why other stans were pressed when Gangnam style was shitting. This is vile filth. At least Thrift Shop is an actual song unlike the other two.

I don't listen to radio much, so I'm confused...

There's ANOTHER Harlem Shake?

Didn't we have a Harlem Shake back in, like, 2002 or some shit?

Different Harlem Shake.

This is a instrumental with a viral video that accompanies it that everyone is now doing. Just 30 seconds of one guy dancing then a bunch of people dancing then a slo-mo bit. It's vile.

Stay will fuel Unapologetic to a swift Platinum status. Album buyers love ballads.

Yup its all about that AC/Hot AC radio. The soccer moms who don't know what a stream or torrent is. Stay is really Rihanna's first potential AC hit in quite a while.

If she can capture that market album sales could double.

cory64

Yup its all about that AC/Hot AC radio. The soccer moms who don't know what a stream or torrent is. Stay is really Rihanna's first potential AC hit in quite a while.

If she can capture that market album sales could double.

*pops the CD in*
IM FUCKIN YO CHEAP THRILL ON TOP OF MY 50 MIL
*returns it to Target*

*pops the CD in*
IM FUCKIN YO CHEAP THRILL ON TOP OF MY 50 MIL
*returns it to Target*

Thats the thing.....you can't return an opened CD anymore.

Though it is yet to be seen whether Rihanna can actually do well on AC formats. They are INCREDIBLY slow moving when it comes to adding songs. Tracks often peak on AC months and months after they peak on the hot 100. At the rate that Rih generally moves from single to single I am not sure how she will fare.

royalan

Lawd, I just looked it up...

This Harlem Shake mess might actually hit the top of the charts?

Jesus...the musical shart that is early 2013...

iVu6QsimKm6RV.gif

Let me struT

iEGWw46ZfGLHk.gif

EDIT: Soul hun NO. Promoting a single is not BANDWAGON or DESPERATE its SMART and CALCULATING. Precisely why Bey failed to IMPRESS the general AUDIENCE. SLAYAGE performance aside.

And where is "Give Me All Ur Lovin" Now? The song performed averagely in the beginning then dropped off and that was regardless of its inclusion in that Super Bowl performance.

And I didn't say it was desperate; it was a completely legitimate strategy but the performance failed to ignite long-term interest in that single or that album. So I suppose by the same metric used in here that Madonna's performance was a failure?

The answer is OF COURSE NOT. Because using iTunes sales as the be-all-end-all barometer for anything that these pop stars do in public is some damn sloppy analysis. Madonna, like Beyonce, used that performance to re-elevate herself in the public eye and to remind the world of her cavalcade of hits. And it obviously WORKED because Madonna ended up out-grossing every contemporary pop star that year in ticket sales. And she did that without a smash single on iTunes. And you know what? She won 2012 because of it.

So if your argument instead is that somehow the Beyonce performance failed to impress people while Madonna's did then that's even less correct, because the fact that Beyonce expertly reversed her own reputation within a two week period and actually sang live (I'm pretty sure they gave Madonna the "Femme Fatale Tour" microphone), coupled with the complete universal acclaim for her performance all over news outlets that, you know, actual people read... I think the performance did exactly what was intended. And yes, more people are talking about Beyonce and ancitipating her next project because of it. That's what Superbowl performance are meant to do. So let's all sit.

@ Royalan: First of all I <3 you too, lol. Secondly, no, Beyonce's repertoire isn't the best portfolio in pop music obviously. That's not what I meant. What I mean is that Beyonce as a PACKAGE is the best that the industry has had. As a singer, dancer, performer, and with her solid, strong, and great songs, she's the most well-balanced pop act we have. And speaking from my own persepective (as we all do in here) I saw a LOT of people around me realize that 1) she's really fucking talented and has a breadth of catchy songs, and that 2) she's coming back strong in 2013 and there's a great deal of hype surrounding her return.

Mau ®

So Harlem Shake is just a rejected Black Eyed Peas instrumental from 5 years ago that has a lion sample and a guy that keeps saying "CON EL TERRORISTA" (with the terrorist).

Let me stan! *.*

cory64

I'll say it again, Rihanna could pull off having a new single before the Super Bowl and have it last.
The way you're putting it makes it sound like Beyoncé is a legacy artist at this point.

cory64

Am I missing something here?

That part is even mentioned in the top comment on YT.

Just showing the difference in video quality.
Vevo has rich colors, fine detail, barely visible compression artifacts, and a more visible overall texture. Reasonably close to Blu-ray.
YouTube is washed out, has visible compression artifacts, and slightly blurrier details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom