• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

He is amazing. I have nothing but respect for his music and abilities.

I just have gotten bored with him over time (like I do with most AC songs/artists).

Nah I get it, his appeal obviously isn't universal. Of course his album sales would have you believe otherwise, guy sells like crazy especially for not ever having a smash single.

Trigger

Frank Ocean and Miguel are basically the only modern male singers who are good. Not really pop, I guess, but whatever.
c3ed7b23.gif

VaNIA.gif

Miguel's voice is great.

Nah I get it, his appeal obviously isn't universal. Of course his album sales would have you believe otherwise, guy sells like crazy especially for not ever having a smash single.

Yeah AC listeners buy albums more than fans of any other genre, even country.

I am convinced that is why Adele got so big. She owned pop AND the AC charts to the point where I wouldn't be at all shocked if the AC audience accounted for half her album sales in the US.

Majmun

Miguel's voice is great.

I prefer his voice over Frank's, tbh. But Frank makes the better music, imo.

Both are amazing artists and have a bright future ahead of them. I'm definitely a fan of both.

The bar has been set very high for Justin Timberlakes, is her ever wants to make a comeback.

Both are amazing artists and have a bright future ahead of them. I'm definitely a fan of both.

The bar has been set very high for Justin Timberlakes, is her ever wants to make a comeback.

I mean there is no way he won't will he? Despite the previously mentioned new talent, no one has really filled the void that Justin left. Bieber may be aiming for it eventually but isn't there yet...........

So much money to be made. I don't understand what he is waiting for.

Edit: Note, I intensely dislike JT and his music....doesn't change the question though.

royalan

Are people really still checking for JT these days? I mean...really?

Yeah, I was too for a while. But he's been gone too long and the game's changed.

And now that he's married that harpy...ch...he can stay gone for all I care. Don't miss him no mo'.

im so bored

im going to watch a doc about this obscure band to learn a few things about them

ya, im that bored

I just finished watching a Japanese doc on some guy who makes Sushi in some tiny restaurant in Japan. English dubs...... I need a hobby.

(doc actually wasn't terrible)

Also. Love Into The Light is a great track......would be a great single for Ke$ha if it got a decent radio edit.

Majmun

Well, there's a rumor that he's currently working with Royalan's most favorite artist: BEYSUS. But it's just a rumor.

I'd die for a collab. Expect a massive meltdown if the rumor turns out to be true.

I personally loved his music and style. I hated him in Nsync, but he was great solo.

Trigger

Are people really still checking for JT these days? I mean...really?

Yeah, I was too for a while. But he's been gone too long and the game's changed.

And now that he's married that harpy...ch...he can stay gone for all I care. Don't miss him no mo'.

There isn't a successful male artist who can be considered JT's successor. The acts now are either too young or flops. He could come back if he teamed up with the right folks and put in the effort.

Mumei

I also felt like he kind of wanted to prove and show what an amazing singer he was with every live performance. His voice is actually heavenly (and perfect for pop imo) when he dials it back a bit......I think he just makes himself very inaccessible to the core pop audience of 15-25 year old females.

Mmhmm.

The high wailing works for a more rock or metal sound. It doesn't work for pop unless you're a woman who has the right tone for it. And he can still hit most of his high notes without getting that obnoxious tone so I don't why he doesn't. He compare remarkably well tonally to women up through around Eb5 and isn't too far off on E5 or F5, at least for a man.

There isn't a successful male artist who can be considered JT's successor. The acts now are either too young or flops. He could come back if he teamed up with the right folks and put in the effort.

Does he want to though? Lots of artists seem desperate to be in the news constantly and involved. He has been fairly low key recently in my view......maybe he just isn't interested anymore?

(I would respect that greatly)

royalan

But see, the thing is...you can't really discuss Justin Timberlake (or at least, Justin Timberlake at his best) without also discussing one other man: Timbaland.

And boooooooooy does Timbaland suck now.

Mmhmm.

The high wailing works for a more rock or metal sound. It doesn't work for pop unless you're a woman who has the right tone for it. And he can still hit most of his high notes without getting that obnoxious tone so I don't why he doesn't. He compare remarkably well tonally to women up through around Eb5 and isn't too far off on E5 or F5, at least for a man.

Yeah his range is amazing. Such a waste.....

He still has a fanbase though, and I really do not think it is too late to right the ship and make an actual impact. We will see. He isn't a young guy so not sure how long his window of opportunity will be.

I like both. I like lots of Bey songs.

Good to know. I am not a huge fan of Bey but I respect her.

Trigger

Does he want to though? Lots of artists seem desperate to be in the news constantly and involved. He has been fairly low key recently in my view......maybe he just isn't interested anymore?

(I would respect that greatly)

No, he doesn't it seems. He's still making flop movies and golfing. I always wondered if he just felt that he's reached his peak musically. He started so young.

But see, the thing is...you can't really discuss Justin Timberlake (or at least, Justin Timberlake at his best) without also discussing one other man: [he who shall not be named].

And boooooooooy does [he who shall not be named] suck now.

That man is dead to me now.

But I think he still has the musical credibility with mainstream listeners. Give him and Dr. Luke or Max Martin collab and I could see a comeback.

Majmun

I like both. I like lots of Bey songs.

*.*

Have you listened to all of her albums? Do you have a favorite?

I personally prefer rnb & soul Beyonce ,and I wouldn't mind if her next album ends up to be more like 4 and Dangerously in Love - my favorite Bey albums.

But I'm afraid she's going to do dancey, poppy tracks and focus on the current trends in music. I just hope there won't be any dubsteb tracks. I'll have to stan less if that happens.
Can't believe we're only a few weeks away from hearing new Bey stuff...

Cynosure

oh so Cheryl is the Beyonce/Justin of the group

also, they all have really weird interesting accents except for Kimberly and the blond(dont want to look up her name)

royalan

What did I say before?

Nothing specific, and we've had so many conversations on the subject I probably couldn't find it, but I think I remember you praising Bey's vocals once while clocking her music, diction, and brassy tone (when not aided by excessive reverb).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The footage of the lineup announcement is PURE GOLD.

HISTORY being made before your very eyes.

[edit]Sound of the Underground surely is one of the best debut singles of all time.

botty

Banned
Bleachonce better hurry up. Once ARTPOP comes along, I don't think people are going to care about her much.
c3ed7b23.gif

Mumei

*.*

Have you listened to all of her albums? Do you have a favorite?

I personally prefer rnb & soul Beyonce ,and I wouldn't mind if her next album ends up to be more like 4 and Dangerously in Love - my favorite Bey albums.

But I'm afraid she's going to do dancey, poppy tracks and focus on the current trends in music. I just hope there won't be any dubsteb tracks. I'll have to stan less if that happens.
Can't believe we're only a few weeks away from hearing new Bey stuff...

I have only listened to random songs; I don't think I have ever listened to a complete album.

Nothing specific, and we've had so many conversations on the subject I probably couldn't find it, but I think I remember you praising Bey's vocals once while clocking her music, diction, and brassy tone (when not aided by excessive reverb).

I have clocked her on her overly brassy tone, her diction (her diction seems to sound the same on every song to me, whereas someone like Whitney seems to vary more), and her reliance on reverb (though I also think she does have good resonance and projection even if her voice is naturally pretty light and small-medium in size) but I do like her music.

#dead

I don't think people care much about Caca anymore, either. Her last few songs bombed on the radio.

I think she will sell well. The quality of the songs is yet to be seen though.

For me this is her last shot before I am done. I loved Fame/The Fame Moster eras but BTW was so.....drab by comparison. I don't feel she is in danger of flopping in general yet though.

Trigger

I think she will sell well. The quality of the songs is yet to be seen though.

For me this is her last shot before I am done. I loved Fame/The Fame Moster eras but BTW was so.....drab by comparison. I don't feel she is in danger of flopping in general yet though.

I think that's a very common sentiment unfortunately.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nicola talking about her makeup range for people with pale skin and not feeling like you have to fake tan all the time. I wonder if Xtina has watched this? Maybe she should.

Cynosure

lmao that Nadine, no label wanted to sign her to a solo recording contract so she made her own one up and signed herself

iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

I think that's a very common sentiment unfortunately.

Yeah.

...I WANT to like her and her new album. I really do..... I think general fans of pop music share this feeling. So I think that if she gives the fans what they want she can really revitalize her image very quickly.

We will see.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
LORDT the intro to Sexy! No no no... on the Tangled Up tour is just...ajfewklfjkjfwiujgfeojg

Your faves tried.

screenshot2012-12-17a1bu0y.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEoG6eUcAgQ

As though DESCENDED FROM HEAVEN...what more perfect an intro for the greatest pop act of the decade. I hope and PRAY that they will slay as hard for the Ten tour. March cannot come soon enough.

Majmun

But which album had more impact? Born This Way or 4?

c3ed7b23.gif

From a pure impact perspective it had to be BTW.

Born This Way (the single) was had impact just for what it was. Bey's singles had no such impact. (I see your views argument Second....I don't buy it in this case)

That said. 4 was the better album imo.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What kind of FLOP irrelevant NOBODIES filling the O2 arena on a date from their FLOP SELLOUT ARENA TOUR.

screenshot2012-12-17adejsv.png

Your faves WISH they flopped this hard tbh.

omg and the choreo...so FIERCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom