• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

Do we know how much the other 3 get paid, especially by S3? I'm sure it's lower than Xtina, I'd guess it would go Adam > Blake > Cee Lo.

10 million per season.
Thats not bad at all. Especially considering the free promo.

The Wanteds new song all over the radio...warming up to it

Throw me a link? I like a few of their songs....will give it a try.

Her debut album is better than any other pop album released in that same year, brah.

lol I know who she is and bought her album (granted it was 99c on Amazon).

She is good. Her live work is brilliant.....I liked her album even if not as much as most here.

Satch

Banned
oh i didnt realize we had a new thread

anyway im just posting to subscribe

also to say to Arte that WOW this Pala album is really good

PALALLAH INNITSHALLAH

royalan

Like you don't know.

....Ah, it took me a Second.

I use that as praise for Aaliyah despite it being a common criticism of my fave because Aaliyah had more obvious "limits" as a singer. But she was musically intelligent, as you pointed out, and was able to refine her instrument into something genuinely formidable despite what it lacked in size.

I get similar teas from Lana Del Rey, tbh. But she's not under nearly the same pressure to be a competent live performer as an artist debuting around the time Aaliyah did, so I don't think she'll quite reach Aaliyah's level.

botty

Banned
10 million per season.

And iirc the job requires less work and travel than X factor or Idol.
iSPAuwop6tqw2.gif

And yet she will only be remembered as the girl from that Gotye song.

So sad but true :(

Unless she adopts a far more mainstream sound, but i doubt she will.

I have the same general feeling about Sia (prove me wrong gurl!) after being featured on two David Guetta tracks. I just can't see her making it with the market for female singers so crowded right now.

...I thought that was Katy Perry? :conniving:
That was exactly who I thought it was the first time I watched the video lol.

Mumei

....Ah, it took me a Second.

ahahaha

I use that as praise for Aaliyah despite it being a common criticism of my fave because Aaliyah had more obvious "limits" as a singer. But she was musically intelligent, as you pointed out, and was able to refine her instrument into something genuinely formidable despite what it lacked in size.

I get similar teas from Lana Del Rey, tbh. But she's not under nearly the same pressure to be a competent live performer as an artist debuting around the time Aaliyah did, so I don't think she'll quite reach Aaliyah's level.

Right. Aaliyah did not have a belting voice, in other words. I think there's, what, one belt in her entire discography? It was fine technically but nothing to write home about either. I wouldn't necessarily call her limited; she had a wonderful lower register, a flexible voice, and a nice tone, and that's far more than what most people have to work with. She just didn't have a voice suited to louder pyrotechnics.

lol B-Dex.......

I will say there IS room for a good SOLO male artist right now.

The Boyband sector has a glut of talent right now.....

Bladenic

So sad but true :(

Unless she adopts a far more mainstream sound, but i doubt she will.

I have the same general feeling about Sia (prove me wrong gurl!) after being featured on two David Guetta tracks. I just can't see her making it with the market for female singers so crowded right now.

That was exactly who I thought it was the first time I watched the video lol.

Lol Sia has been around for forever bro.

B-Dex

lol B-Dex.......

I will say there IS room for a good SOLO male artist right now.

The Boyband sector has a glut of talent right now.....

Well Buble did have a Christmas special last week.... I guess there are more R&B male acts than anything else right now... for a solo artist I mean.

Bladenic

...and I have never heard of her before now.

Whatever she has been trying hasn't been working :(

She's an Australian super indie act. The reason she has been getting more exposure now is because artists like Guetta discovered her and decided to feature her due to her amazing voice and talent. She's also more of a writer when it comes to mainstream, seeing as how she wrote Diamonds, among other big songs for big artists.

Well Buble did have a Christmas special last week.... I guess there are more R&B male acts than anything else right now... for a solo artist I mean.

Its actually been a long time since pop has had just a really great male singer....I am shocked none of the reality TV shows have managed to produce one. The few out there as "solo" acts still use the band type sound which makes the redundant.

She's an Australian super indie act. The reason she has been getting more exposure now is because artists like Guetta discovered her and decided to feature her due to her amazing voice and talent. She's also more of a writer when it comes to mainstream, seeing as how she wrote Diamonds, among other big songs for big artists.

Good for her. Glad to hear.

I never really followed her but I may look into some of her other work then. (not really into the indie stuff in general)

Edit: Ugh...need to watch those DP's.

Bladenic

Well I don't know if Michael Buble is pop by any stretch, but he is an amazing singer.

Edit: Sia's most well known song of her own is called Breathe Me, featured in the Six Feet Under finale.

Galang

Banned
Its actually been a long time since pop has had just a really great male singer....I am shocked none of the reality TV shows have managed to produce one. The few out there as "solo" acts still use the band type sound which makes the redundant.

This is true. Maybe if Justin does return it'll start an outbreak

Jesus Christ this thread is moving. So hard to keep up.

Xmas vacation and new thread hype I guess.

At least thats it for me.

@Blad

Yeah, other than Buble there isn't a lot out there as far as male "singers". It almost feels like any great male pop singer ends up banished to the AC charts.

I had kind of hoped Adam Lambert would fill the void in Pop (despite the fact that he annoys me) for an amazing male singer that isn't AC, but it didn't pan out.

Mumei

Lambert is a really great male singer. Shame about the direction he went and his fanbase making the #Navy look presentable.

royalan

I think Sia's on the cusp of EXPLODING, tbh.

Sia's very capable of making mainstream songs, as evidenced by her work for other albums. But her OWN music also has very commercial appeal. She has some real BOPS on her last two albums:

The Fight (We Are Born)

You've Changed

Clap Your Hands <-- Probably her biggest song in the US since Breathe Me. Was used in a ton of ads.

Day Too Soon

I Go To Sleep <--My favorite.

Seriously, her albums are AMAZING. Only problem until now was nobody knew who she was, and she never really tried to be a HUGE global artist. But she's been building some SERIOUS rep since working with Xtina in 2010. More importantly, she's building the kind of rep that makes people purchase your ALBUM.

Sia has an album coming out in 2013, and it's my most anticipated album of the year EASILY. If she can lead with a hit (which we know she's well capable of creating) I see her blowing up in a big way thanks to all this brand-building she's been doing.

No. Xtina is the first major artist Sia worked with and even Sia credits her with opening the door to where she is now.

Lambert is a really great male singer. Shame about the direction he went and his fanbase making the #Navy look presentable.

Yeah I posted about him right before you. He is amazing.....I just think he went way too niche. He tried (and failed) at being a male Gaga I feel like.

I still <3 Whataya Want From Me though.

Cynosure

so if you caaalll me, i just might be waiting by the phone
but don’t ignnnnore me, girls like me won’t be alone for long

caaaaall me

waiting by the phone

ignore me

be alone for long

tumblr_m1u365e2zP1qjqbrq.gif

Mumei

Wafflecakes! I thought of someone recent who I like: Esperanza Spalding. See? I can like someone before they are legendary.

Ewww

I can't stand how he sings. His pronounciation of words is so annoying.

Thank you!

I cannot stand it when people have weird diction. He sounds so affected.

I think Sia's on the cusp of EXPLODING, tbh.

Sia's very capable of making mainstream songs, as evidenced by her work for other albums. But her OWN music also has very commercial appeal. She has some real BOPS on her last two albums:

The Fight (We Are Born)

You've Changed

Clap Your Hands <-- Probably her biggest song in the US since Breathe Me. Was used in a ton of ads.

Day Too Soon

I Go To Sleep <--My favorite.

Seriously, her albums are AMAZING. Only problem until now was nobody knew who she was, and she never really tried to be a HUGE global artist. But she's been building some SERIOUS rep since working with Xtina in 2010. More importantly, she's building the kind of rep that makes people purchase your ALBUM.

Sia has an album coming out in 2013, and it's my most anticipated album EASILY. If she can lead with a hit (which we know she's well capable of creating) I see her blowing up in a big way thanks to all this brand-building she's been doing.

I'll give them a listen. Thanks for posting the links :)

I really do wish her the best.

Mumei

Yeah I posted about him right before you. He is amazing.....I just think he went way too niche. He tried (and failed) at being a male Gaga I feel like.

Yep.

And it was a dumb direction to take. I know that his pre-Idol stuff had more of an electronic bent to it and he was wearing stupid outfits for years before Idol, so it was more that Gaga was a distillation of something he'd been wanting to do himself than purely an attempt at bandwagon jumping.

But.

The moment she owned that sort of look and sound in the public consciousness, he really should have rethought where he was going, because he was inevitably going to look like a wannabe copycat and have no artistic credibility because of it.

Wafflecakes! I thought of someone recent who I like: Esperanza Spalding. See? I can like someone before they are legendary.

I'm so proud of you <3

Now....step two. Getting you to like someone relevant.

I do admit Esperanza Spalding is a queen

Yep.

And it was a dumb direction to take. I know that his pre-Idol stuff had more of an electronic bent to it and he was wearing stupid outfits for years before Idol, so it was more that Gaga was a distillation of something he'd been wanting to do himself than purely an attempt at bandwagon jumping.

But.

The moment she owned that sort of look and sound in the public consciousness, he really should have rethought where he was going, because he was inevitably going to look like a wannabe copycat and have no artistic credibility because of it.

I also felt like he kind of wanted to prove and show what an amazing singer he was with every live performance. His voice is actually heavenly (and perfect for pop imo) when he dials it back a bit......I think he just makes himself very inaccessible to the core pop audience of 15-25 year old females.

Talking about male pop acts and no mention of Beiber.....

Well we are specifically talking about great singers.

Oh, I like relevant people. Beyonce is relevant, right? I like her. Now stanning is another thing entirely.

Do you actually like her music? Or just her vocal skills?

Bladenic

Not here for this Michael Buble hate. He's amazing and you will all deal.

Also Sia might have worked with Xtina in 2010, but in terms of her getting features that made her more well known to the public, that didn't happen until later on in 2011 and beyond. I could be wrong, but I think Titanium was her first big feature.

royalan

Do you actually like her music? Or just her vocal skills?

This is a good question...

Not here for this Michael Buble hate. He's amazing and you will all deal.

Also Sia might have worked with Xtina in 2010, but in terms of her getting features that made her more well known to the public, that didn't happen until later on in 2011 and beyond. I could be wrong, but I think Titanium was her first big feature.

You're right in that her work with Guetta is what put her in the public spotlight. But it was her work with Xtina that even put her on that track. Bionic may have tanked, but there was a lot of industry talk about the woman responsible for the best songs on the album.

Majmun

Talking about male pop acts and no mention of Beiber.....

For the better.
Now why did you have to bring him up
iVyixt2v3DATD.gif

Frank Ocean and Miguel are basically the only modern male singers who are good. Not really pop, I guess, but whatever.
c3ed7b23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom