• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
...well that and the wanted is a pretty chill band that doesn't pander to Tweens and little girls(and boys...) their sound is unique and different. Yet every chance I see their beig hailed as the greatest thing ever in this thread. Every song one direction has is a backstreet boy retread from men who look like skinny manurished women.

My faves > one way direction.

yes, christopher, DRAG
068.gif

17. ALICIA KEYS – Girl On Fire: 67.667 (+ 2.260)

+ Alicia Keys's Girl on Fire is this years biggest slow-burner like I predicted before. The track, despite having being released more than 4 months ago is still registering great updates and consistent sales.

640.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
...well that and the wanted is a pretty chill band that doesn't pander to Tweens and little girls(and boys...) their sound is unique and different. Yet every chance I see their beig hailed as the greatest thing ever in this thread. Every song one direction has is a backstreet boy retread from men who look like skinny manurished women.

First of all The Flopted doesn't pander to anyone because they have no appeal, the only thing they have ever attracted are crackheads like Lindsay Lohan. The world has decided to skip

9 One Direction

91 The Wanted

even Xtina is higher than them

Lastly, 1D is not even anything like BSB. But I guess you can keep enjoying your Chlamydia band and wait for them to try and drag another celebrity to get that promo they desperately need
ibqVftM1t9NMRm.gif

Trigger

First of all The Flopted doesn't pander to anyone because they have no appeal, the only thing they have ever attracted are crackheads like Lindsay Lohan. The world has decided to skip

Lastly, 1D is not even anything like BSB. But I guess you can keep enjoying your Chlamydia band and wait for them to try and drag another celebrity to get that promo they desperately need

irUYuAwz6DDhA.gif

Christopher

9 One Direction

91 The Wanted

even Xtina is higher than them

ibqVftM1t9NMRm.gif

Lets not pull numbers as Barometers for success I'm are if they were so desperate for promo they would sell their entire new CD for .99

i1g0xpkLeIOAa.gif

B-Dex

mmhmm IC.

Apocalypse doesn't happen and y'all turn into a DAMN MESS.

ibqVftM1t9NMRm.gif

glad you came is a bop and you will deal

royalan

...I will admit that once upon a time I wanted The Wanted to be bigger than 1D. I mean, they're the better group with the more mature sound. The guys are hotter on average, not afraid to have dick pics leak on the net and I actually used their first single. Their only problem was lacking the brand focus 1D has. You couldn't really tell who they were going after, Tweens or a slightly older crowd, and it reflected in the music and presentation. But I do feel they had the components to be the better group.

...but then they had STEP OUT OF LINE by coming for The Queen to extend their 15. Their fate was sealed at that point. They can rot in flop hell for all I care. #Cursetina

I thought this was a good topic to talk about so I wrote a little bit about it a few days ago...

AUTHOR’S NOTES

Is a pop album born or made?

There are many inconsistent definitions of “pop music” that seem to hold equal ground to most people. On the one hand, there are many songs, albums, and artists that operate under a very recognizable sound, and the Britneys and Lady Gagas of the world have created music that generally can’t be completely defined as any other kind of genre. With that in mind, it’s easy to surmise that pop as a “genre” holds a lot of validity. On the other hand, there are just as many other kinds of songs (be they alternative, hip-hop, rap, and folk) that find success on the radio, and have a sort of accessibility that grants them some appeal from otherwise strictly pop listeners. Those albums, if successful, become knighted as a “pop-_____” genre, and inevitably become grouped with the wholesomely pop offerings from the Britneys and the Lady Gagas. But for those pop albums that become designated so after having success, are they as legitimate as the ones that can more easily be defined as pop? Afterall, doesn’t “pop” stand for “popular”? If we still stand by the definition that pretty much sprung the radio industry into fruition, then the criterion for what makes something “pop” becomes the following:

- An album that follows a musical trajectory that holds prominent mainstream appeal (“Britney pop”), OR
- An album that modifies a musical trajectory after finding mainstream appeal following its release (“knighted pop”)

I hope that adds some validity for why there are plenty of albums on my list that might not seem qualified to pose as “pop” albums, but the fact remains that the pop music genre is constantly in an identity crisis. “Viva La Vida” was nowhere near a “pop” designation until it took over radio. It then expanded the boundaries of the pop genre and made it more accessible for other alternative, hip-hop, rap, or folk acts to find an entrance into the ever-growing club.

So really, every single one of the albums listed qualifies under my undertanding of pop, but the fact remains that my definition of pop is actually the most established and popular definition of it, and if that definition ever changes to start excluding outliers and focusing on the more obvious and expected sounds of “Britney pop,” then the industry will never evolve. Pop music needs outliers from neighboring genres to push and pull on it; because without those outliers, the genre has absolutely no reference to pull inspiration from.

ALBUMS 10-6 WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW. WILL YOUR FAVE MAKE IT?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
No Direction and The UnWanted are both terrible tbh.

I'm actually not really fond of pop music overall

But well if you really are asking, I would have to say I kinda like Rihanna performances live, since you can see the delivery to the song (at least thats what I got from her last performance I watched - the x factor one I think), and thats something you don't see on others like, say, Aguilera, who just screams or Lana Delay with her put to sleep songs.

But yeah...

BYE

ibcVy9lxOH9yk7.gif

YESSSS.

ijGcGwqtFcCyR.gif

Pay dust to that ungrateful little gremlin.
PREACH SIS

Brit owes that pint-sized bitch nothing. At every turn, complaining about your mentor's song choices, and when you finally get to do your own little wannabe rocker thing, you still blame Britney for your utter failure.

Her reaction upon being given AMERICA'S BOOT signaled all I need to know about her mental state. Gerl and her entire FAMILY has a bad case of the crazy.

WHAT A BLESSED, GLORIOUS DAY

- All essays completed and turned in

- Pint-sized bitch continues to experience life's hardships

- So You Think You Can Dance renewed for a 10th season

- Fifth Harmony getting signed and not having to break up due to geographical issues

- Leona finally getting some press this era

1DDKO

Mumei

- Fifth Harmony getting signed and not having to break up due to geographical issues

1DDKO

Good to see you staying positive.

B-Dex

1DDKO

At least she found a new job:

No Direction and The UnWanted are both terrible tbh.

I don't mind this attitude one bit. Boybands are not for everyone.

Loving one and hating the other when they operate on the exact same premise makes no sense (yes I sorta kinda like The Wanted....did buy their CD....for 99c on Amazon)

Lets not pull numbers as Barometers for success I'm are if they were so desperate for promo they would sell their entire new CD for .99

i1g0xpkLeIOAa.gif

#oop

Wilsongt

Yas. Yas. Drag them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom