• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

leonalewissigning325.jpg

Leona's latest single fails to make it into the TOP 200

Former X Factor winner, Leona Lewis has failed to break into the top 200 with latest single 'Lovebird'. On the week of release, the track at No.200 had sold only 600 copies - meaning Leona sold even less.

The failure of the track comes as a slight surprise as Leona has been one of The X Factor's biggest stars and her previous two album have gone straight in at number one of the UK charts.

However, the singer's most recent album, 'Glassheart' failed to reach such heights and became Leona's first record not to debut at No.1.

A source told The Mirror: "This is a bitter pill to swallow for Leona and there is no sugar-coating it.

“The single was strong and should have done better but, unfortunately, there was no real marketing force behind it."

The 27-year-old seems to hit a few bumps in her career recently including plans for a US tour being shelved and disappointing chart positions.

The single itself is pleasant enough and Leona's vocals are lovely as always, but that hasn't been enough to get it into the UK's top 200.

A source believed the lack of radio airplay was the reason for the poor sales: “Crucially, it didn't capture the imagination of radio bosses and got little airplay. Most people, unless they have the album, have never heard the song."

It remains to be seen as to whether Simon Cowell will continue to back one of the most popular X Factor winners ever.

The source continued: "It’s a little embarrassing for the label because they have invested so heavily in Leona."

Bladenic

Leona should've been nominated for biggest flop. It's sad because Glassheart was good. What a shame. What if she gets dropped? :O

Nemesis_

Leona should've been nominated for biggest flop. It's sad because Glassheart was good. What a shame. What if she gets dropped? :O

I think most of us think the album is actually somewhat decent, despite flopping commercially.

for others....however.....

You mean to tell me that you are a history major - which would involve reading lots and lots and lots of books - and you're now deciding it would probably be a good idea to learn to like reading non-fiction? Silly boy.

I actually know what you mean about a childhood (and frankly continuing) interest in data, though. I remember going on car rides and writing down lists of stuff like the size of every animal I could think of or something.

... History, maybe?

Shoo with your logic. History is a rather broad field.....need to find a specific period/event I want to read about.

+ Alicia Keys's Girl on Fire is this years biggest slow-burner like I predicted before. The track, despite having being released more than 4 months ago is still registering great updates and consistent sales.
I don't know about that. I see Phillip Phillip's Home is rising on airplay charts again after how many months?

Mumei

Wait, fewer than 600 copies for Leona? Ouch.

Shoo with your logic. History is a rather broad field.....need to find a specific period/event I want to read about.

Oh, oh.

The Great Cat Massacre: And Other Episodes in French Cultural History. It is a series of essays about various historical topics relating to the Age of Enlightenment as it pertains to France. It also talks about (and shows) the ways in which French historians have changed the way history is approached in the field. I had a wonderful nutty Francophile professor who used to rave about this (especially Paul Veyne's Le Pain Et Le Cirque (Bread and Circuses: Historical Sociology and Political Pluralism that he had us read part of for his class on the history of philanthropy) and I keep forgetting to visit him. :x

leonalewissigning325.jpg

Leona's latest single fails to make it into the TOP 200

I am by no means a Leona stan but I enjoy quite a bit of her music and its sad to see this. She peaked so early with Bleeding love and it seems to have been downhill from there. She is a great singer yes, but it feels to me that she/her management did absolutely nothing to keep her fresh sounding. Just having a good voice has never been enough.

@Nem
I hated Phillip Phillips...but at the end of the day a smash hit is a smash hit, and it bodes well for Idol to show that it can still produce hits.

Oh, oh.

The Great Cat Massacre: And Other Episodes in French Cultural History. It is a series of essays about various historical topics relating to the Age of Enlightenment as it pertains to France. It also talks about (and shows) the ways in which French historians have changed the way history is approached in the field. I had a wonderful nutty Francophile professor who used to rave about this (especially Paul Veyne's Le Pain Et Le Cirque (Bread and Circuses: Historical Sociology and Political Pluralism that he had us read part of for his class on the history of philanthropy) and I keep forgetting to visit him. :x

I'll look into it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Mumei

I don't care if Idol produces hits; I only care if Idol produces hits that I like. I consider it a bad thing that they're getting rewarded for allowing some untalented trollop like him to be the winner.

I fully expect them to shove yet another marginally talented but marketable WGWG in the top thirteen. Sigh.

I don't care if Idol produces hits; I only care if Idol produces hits that I like. I consider it a bad thing that they're getting rewarded for allowing some untalented trollop like him to be the winner.

I fully expect them to shove yet another marginally talented but marketable WGWG in the top thirteen. Sigh.

As I said....I have no love for PP...but Home isn't a bad song.

I personally enjoy the show and am a fan of many of the artists which has produced. I feel no shame at being happy for its success. (of course the WGWG phenom has gotten out of hand....but I expect them to move against it this season).

Bladenic

As I said....I have no love for PP...but Home isn't a bad song.

I personally enjoy the show and am a fan of many of the artists which has produced. I feel no shame at being happy for its success. (of course the WGWG phenom has gotten out of hand....but I expect them to move against it this season).

You think they're going to move against the stereotype that's the first Idol winner to have some measure of success in years? Right.

Besides y'all should take your hate out on the voters too, not just the producers lol

Bladenic

lol I was agreeing with you that they may not change.

Was disagreeing with your assertion that PP was their first success in years.

Yeah I completely forgot about him. He was pretty successful, compared to the winners before him. Maybe Idol is starting to become capable of producing success stories again. Of course we'll have to wait until the subsequent releases. At the end of the day, the only Idol Winners to have long lasting and continued success in music have been Kelly and Carrie.

Nemesis_

I agree. Their new album is pretty good.

People always seem to come for them for changing up their sound with each album, but I admire that trait about them.

i259np8wlICHI.gif

That and the fact that they are fucking FLAWLESS live. I have never seen a more energetic and fantastic show in my life EVER as I did when I saw both the Black Holes and Resistance tours.

I just CANNOT at how unmatched they are, I cannot wait to attend their Pink Floyd-esque tour that's coming up for 2nd Law.

ikSEL2TE0UmlT.gif

I wonder what they think of Gaga, Bellamy's performing style reminds me a lot of ha.

He was also my style icon when I was younger kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

cory64

Old Navy also added This Kiss to their playlist. So basically if you've cracked the top 10 before and your new song is playing at ON, it's a flop song.

Nemesis_

Whoever is her record company sent our store a promotional CD which was pretty much an early version of the album.

And we don't even sell music.

iblgOZ6JGaue7G.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom