• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
So 5H is a group made up of racists and racist apologists? AND they have shit music?

tumblr_mjuey8XB8P1r9rem3o1_500.gif

tumblr_mjuey8XB8P1r9rem3o2_500.gif

r.i.p Photoshoppedtina
iO7CWpouWko1q.gif

omg I never noticed this!

royalan

You have faith? Her technique is essentially the same as it has always been; the reason she sounds like shit all the time now is because of her vocal damage. She was able to get by on the Power of Youth (tm) and her natural good tone in the middle range of her voice until recent years. Maybe if she magically developed, I don't know, discipline and respect for her craft she'd still be able to sound respectable in spite of her damage, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's going to take place after almost fifteen years.

Yeah, no.

Mumei, you're being way too hard on her, because this isn't a very accurate assessment of Christina's voice at all.

Yeah, it's established that shoddy technique can lead to hastened tone degradation, reduced range, breathiness, and general vocal damage.

But, in most cases, vocal damage does not lead to your general singing ability careening off a cliff in such a short time as you're suggesting with Christina and in general. There are countless singers with technique that ranges from "passable" to "all out shit" who go on to maintain their general ability for the vast majority of their lives and careers. Just off the top of my head:

-Fantasia Barrino (terrible technique, but still maintains most her Idol range)
-Nikka Costa
-Tina Turner (was touring and singing LIVE well into her 60s. Questionable technique, especially when she was younger.)
-Most gospel singers (they're not all Yolanda Adams)
-Grace Potter (probably my current fave vocalist, but her larynx is often sky-fucking-high when she sings)

I could go on, but the singers I listed above all posses a vocal technique that is as unfortified as Christina's or worse, but still maintain the overall qualities of their voices for years (or even decades) into their careers, even with constant touring/performing.

Simply stated, poor technique isn't an adequate excuse for the the vocal quality of someone like Christina - a 32-year-old (not old for a singer by any means) NON-SMOKER who until now only put out albums every 4 years and didn't even bother touring her last two eras (in fact, hasn't toured or performed consistently in almost a decade at this point). Vocal technique just doesn't explain it. It doesn't even explain half of it. She just doesn't sing enough for her technique to have that kind of tangible effect on her singing. I've just never heard it - not in any of my other faves with less-than-perfect technique or in the score of singers I've heard perform live.

But you know what can have a very problematic and near-immediately identifiable effect on the quality of someone's voice? Disuse.

The parts of the body that make up the voice are mostly just a series of muscles. And, like most other muscles, they have to be constantly worked to maintain their flexibility and youthfulness. Fail to do this, and your voice will lock up and lose these qualities just like any other muscles. It's why any opera singer will tell you that constant vocal exercises are absolutely crucial to their craft, especially in their off-seasons.

And you know this because disuse had a huge affect on Whitney. People like to claim her vocal shit-shows late in career as being the result of her age and rampant drug use - and yeah, that's partially true. But it doesn't fully explain it. Being in her mid-forties, Whitney really wasn't THAT old (and, with her flawless technique, Whitney had the potential to sing beautifully well into true old age). And while you could definitely hear the drugs in her voice, they alone don't account for it because, by most accounts, Whitney had been smoking and doing MAD drugs for years before it became public knowledge. Nippy had been a dopehead pretty much since she discovered Hollywood; she went through her most iconic eras high as a kite (AND an avid smoker of plain old cigarettes). So what did Whitney's voice in?

Wasn't her age, because relative to her peers she wasn't that old.
Wasn't her technique, which was flawless.
Wasn't the drugs because, well, in terms of career lifespan she'd always been a drug addict.

No, in the end it was all of these things compounded by the fact that for years Whitney just hadn't been singing. She could fend off the effects of the drugs for years because her near constant singing/performing and perfect technique kept her voice limber. But the second she stopped singing regularly her voice settled into all of those unhealthy choices she was regularly making, and the result was...well, we don't need to relive it.

Similarly for Christina, she has issues that could contribute to diminished vocal quality. I won't make excuses for her bad technique. But none of this has a more pronounced effect on her singing than the simple fact that she just doesn't sing often. Christina takes YEARS off from performing and, when she's on break, she doesn't sing. She barely puts in appearances, she doesn't do vocal exercises, she doesn't keep up with a vocal coach. She does nothing. And that's affecting her now because she takes so much time off and then tries to just jump back into the game singing songs that span 3 octaves live. Yeah, no.

But the voice is still there. The range is largely still there. If it wasn't, she wouldn't be able to even hit these notes in-studio, but she can. If you want an example of singers whose voices are truly shot, listen to Julie Andrews. Listen to Liza Minnelli. These are singers whose voices are so gone that they can't even access their original ranges in a studio environment, much less live.

Christina isn't there yet, far from it.

Which is why I maintain what I said: If Christina regained the discipline to submit herself to regular vocal exercises and working with a vocal coach, I have no doubt in my mind that she could regain the vast majority of her original vocal ability. I still maintain that her biggest problem is simple disuse, not technique.

We've seen Disciplinetina return with her dedication to losing weight. I have faith that some of that renewed dedication will seep into her singing. *.*

Bladenic

v9pUJJw.png

Too little, too late.
They need to Farrah Franklin her.

OMG source of that gif? I want to know what she was saying to make Beyonce end her life with a stare.

And simply deceased at that ONTD article. The funnies part is her name being ratchetandsassy and Obama. Dead

Damn Roy. Coming for Mumei on Mumei's turf.

Pop stars can pull off amazing feats when they discipline themselves. Beyonce was back to the same tough choreography (and waist size) like 3 months after she gave birth. If you push yourself you can do it. I agree that Christina's terrible vocals lately are due to the fact that she's just being lazy about her craft, and can be easily reparable if she, oh I dunno, got to song often enough to the point where re-training your technique is required. She just needs to get back on that wagon, and based on how she's managed to re-create her image in a more polished way I think she can translate that same perserverance into her vocals.

Trigger

I saw Kelly today on GMA. I'll have to give her album a try. She seems like such a sweet girl.

And it's not like Bey is releasing shit these days

Mumei

Damn Roy. Coming for Mumei on Mumei's turf.

Pop stars can pull off amazing feats when they discipline themselves. Beyonce was back to the same tough choreography (and waist size) like 3 months after she gave birth. If you push yourself you can do it. I agree that Christina's terrible vocals lately are due to the fact that she's just being lazy about her craft, and can be easily reparable if she, oh I dunno, got to song often enough to the point where re-training your technique is required. She just needs to get back on that wagon, and based on how she's managed to re-create her image in a more polished way I think she can translate that same perserverance into her vocals.

I can't at him doing this while I am at work and can't respond to a post that long. Cheater.

Majmun

Beyoncé's background singer has a new album and people actually care?

Yeezus on the other hand is slaying me so hard. And I just found out that a lot of tracks were produced by Daft Punk. WOoooooow

Can't believe Daft Punk produced better tracks for Kanye than for their own album. Death

Cynosure

OMG source of that gif? I want to know what she was saying to make Beyonce end her life with a stare.

I remember watching some Uk special program about it in youtube. I searched but couldnt find anything.
Beysus would know and tell you but she hasn't been posting much lately ;_;

Queen! let me finish laminating my stan card

iblAG8WKV5bQ5k.gif

As a homosexual, did she look you in the eyes and told you you're beautiful and that she loved you?

imHHN4t9Fzkjw.gif

There was an episode in Scandal about exactly that.

Shonda Rhimes, M.I.A, and Shia Labeouf are prophets of truth indeed.

ibaGB6OVQZD6An.gif

Bladenic

RIP wafflecakes what got the good sis banned I wonder

Edit: Which one Mumei? I never read either (not into manga) but I know they did like a semi-new one recently (or was it just a redrawn reprint? Kyon would know).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh, I thought it would have been roy considering the topic

royalan

Lord...I know Standing on the Sun is penned by Sia and she's a goddess in general, but...

...man, that second verse is a MESS. It just doesn't flow right at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom