• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I just finished Spring Breakers and I lahved it, such a beautiful cast
ilTf0jPqRbHrM.gif

i was SCREAMING at selena gomez though. Even in a film about sex, drugs and shooting people she comes across as an innocent little girl

not Vanessa Hudgens though. She was one bad bitch

Clearly Zac Efrons peen is more corruptible than Beiebers

Oh and the Britney bits were great

I wanted to see it so bad in theaters, I need that Blu-Ray.

Oh. I know, I missed my opportunity, too. People were mean to me so I stopped doing it, and now there's nothing to receipt stan. :(

Don't worry, the last time Mimi dropped her first single that didn't go top 10, we were blessed with The Emancipation of Mimi. No doubt that is what's about to happen again.

True.

It's Like That > Beautiful tho IMO

I had to grow into It's Like That, but Beautiful had me from the beginning. I do wish Beautiful would crack the top 10. It certainly deserves it over the likes of come and get it, that Florida Georgia line garbage, and just give me a reason.

Bladenic

I had to grow into It's Like That, but Beautiful had me from the beginning. I do wish Beautiful would crack the top 10. It certainly deserves it over the likes of come and get it, that Florida Georgia line garbage, and just give me a reason.

Cruise shits all over beautiful. You tried.

Cynosure

I have my doubts too and I'm savoring every second that she looks flawless now.

5zvrU.png

Mumu, rank these ladies' vocals (as they are now) from best to worst

- Whitney
- Mariah
- Aretha
- Patti
- Beyonce

- Christina
- Kelly
- Adele

ibystLKjFf4Jy.gif

Kesha wrote one of my favorite Veronicas songs: This Love
Oh wow, I listened to that song before and never knew Ke$ha wrote it. :O I like it so much more now.

Speaking of, which face of the Earth did The Veronicas fall off of? Lolita was cute but got little to no play here. D:
When "Lolita" came out I thought it was so great. I was on the verge of stanning for them, but then time went on and I kind of forgot about them. Such a shame since they are really quite talented. Maybe there's still hope that they'll release a new single and finally get an album out of the door.

Mumei

See...this is how I know that Mumei's shade is really just "tough love."

Deep down...he wants to stan. *.*

I heard that song for the first time yesterday. I use it, in spite of the obvious use of production to make those high belts work.

Oh, and regarding your criticism, I'll just say that I was emphasizing singing well even if you aren't in the best voice. Christina, Kelly, and Adele are all more flawed singers - as musicians (well, maybe not Miss Patti, but Miss Patti's voice is a phenomenon and her production is top-notch so we'll forgive her excesses) and in terms of correct production - than the other three.

Is there a serious argument for her vocals being worse than anyone I ranked below her?

Is there a serious argument for her vocals being worse than anyone I ranked below her?
Mariah's best (live) vocal in 2013 has been her spot on Fallon, and that pales in comparison to the best that Kelly and Adele have delivered this year.

Sorry gurl, Mimi's pipes are more used and abused than the ones Xtina Anorexilera daily graced with her taco-flavored vomit.

royalan

I heard that song for the first time yesterday. I use it, in spite of the obvious use of production to make those high belts work.

Oh, and regarding your criticism, I'll just say that I was emphasizing singing well even if you aren't in the best voice. Christina, Kelly, and Adele are all more flawed singers - as musicians (well, maybe not Miss Patti, but Miss Patti's voice is a phenomenon and her production is top-notch so we'll forgive her excesses) and in terms of correct production - than the other three.

...nah

Although, I'm a bit on the fence with Kelly.

Is it weird that Kelly kind of reminds me of Patti in a way? In the sense that she has this remarkable persistence in her vocals. She sings with such power, but you don't really get the feeling that she's compromising much to do it. Like, you get the sense that 10-15 years from now she could sing with just as much range and ability.

But she lacks a certain elegance. For all of her power she doesn't have the smooth phrasing or intricate interpretive ability of Adele, or Leona, or even Christina, and certainly not Mariah. And these are all the qualities that make people rank Aretha higher than Patti, even though Patti's voice has held up MUCH better.

Kelly's the vocal equivalent of a bulldozer...but I actually mean that in a good way, I guess?

I'm not even going to do that to the Queen or the dearly departed. In 2013, I'd say:

- Beyonce
- Patti
- Mariah
- Kelly
- Adele
- Christina

In 2013, I'd rank them similarly:

1) Beyonce
2) Patti
3) Kelly
4) Patti
5) Adele
6) Christina

But ranking them at their most ultimate highs:

1) Patti
2) Christina
3) Mariah
4) Kelly
5) Beyonce
6) Adele

Eat it up, and crown it.

Mumei

Mariah's best (live) vocal in 2013 has been her spot on Fallon, and that pales in comparison to the best that Kelly and Adele have delivered this year.

Sorry gurl, Mimi's pipes are more used and abused than the ones Xtina Anorexilera daily graced with her taco-flavored vomit.

Er, no. Mariah's best live vocals in 2012/13 have been her performances of I'll Be There which contain too much improvisation and playing off one another to be lipped or prerecorded. Or you could pick singing random songs at concerts; she sounded fantastic on Love Takes Time. She is in good shape up through her midbelt; it's only around D5 that she consistently starts to sound scratchy and even then she has her good moments. And frankly the Idol performance - which has undubbed audio available on the interwebs - is better than anything she's done in years.

Her performance of All I Want for Christmas Is You on Fallon was nice because she sang the song in its original key (something she didn't do in Tokyo 1996) and pulled it off, but it wasn't a comfortable performance.

Adele is, as Soulscribe said, a shitty vocalist who has a pedestrian voice. I don't disdain her ability to emote a song or her musicianship, though. Kelly has a tiny voice, but generally knows her limits. You can tell when she's trying too hard because she starts to sound strained and scratchy as she gets loud - or "small voice trying iT" teas. A good example of that from another singer is Celine's loudest belts in O Holy Night. Kelly is also only particularly good within that very limited range (middle fourth to middle fifth) octave; above that she is pinched. She has also never had Mariah's easy legato - and doesn't even have 2013 Mariah's fluidity.

And Patti does clock. That poor child getting shown up like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom