• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
Yeah, I did understate her voice. My bad, but she's just an icon for that era of music/soul. Not really a legend that has opened doors, become apart of the culture as a whole, or has the receipts to really show her impact. Again...she is a great singer, and an icon. But a legend, nah.

to me, not even an icon.

I've never in my life heard of anyone speak of her

royalan

Yeah, I did understate her voice. My bad, but she's just an icon for that era of music/soul. Not really a legend that has opened doors, become apart of the culture as a whole, or has the receipts to really show her impact. Again...she is a great singer, and an icon. But a legend, nah.

Sis. ;___;

In 1982, Teena Marie got into a heated legal battle with Motown Records over her contract and disagreements about releasing her new material.[14] The lawsuit resulted in "The Brockert Initiative", which made it illegal for a record company to keep an artist under contract without releasing new material for that artist. In such instances, artists are able to sign and release with another label instead of being held back by an unsupportive one. Teena Marie commented on the law in an LA Times article, saying, "It wasn't something I set out to do. I just wanted to get away from Motown and have a good life. But it helped a lot of people, like Luther Vandross and the Mary Jane Girls, and a lot of different artists, to be able to get out of their contracts."[15] She left Motown as the label's most successful white solo act.

botty

Banned
Sis. ;___;

#oop

But waiT...

Where the hell was this law for JoJo?

idTq1TYSKvX2r.gif

Trigger

I imagine Jojo lacks the legal team needed to bring the issue to court. I doubt her old label would roll over and just let her go. Sad shit because I still use Agape.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
http://pitchfork.com/news/51323-echo-chamber-disclosure-on-azealia-banks/

Disclosure said:
"We don't have a song with her yet. We've met her once. I think she's kind of taken to Twitter quite heavily with the fact that she's meeting with us. And people now think that we've made the greatest song of all time, and it doesn't even actually have a chorus yet."

"All these blogs think we've now made a masterpiece, but really, we just sat there eating sushi."

lmao....

Trigger

Apparently this No clue who how or why.

nnnn

Five in the morning. After unsuccessfully trying to get your money back at the tattoo parlor ("But I don't even know anybody named Ruby!!!"), you and your friends wind up across the state line in a bar with guys who have been in prison as recently as...that morning. It's the kind of place where even the devil is going, "Uh, I gotta turn in. I gotta be in Hell- at nine. I've got that brunch with Hitler, I can't miss that." At this point, you're all drinking some kind of thick blue liquor, like something from a Klingon wedding. A waitress with fresh stitches comes over, and you think to yourself, "Someday I'm gonna marry that girl!!" One of your friends stands up and screams, "WE'RE DRIVIN' TO FLORIDA!!!!!"- and passes out. You crawl outside for air , and then you hit the worst part of Level Five -- the sun.

What in the world?

Mumei

how is she a legend ive never heard of her

I would just like to suggest that pointing out that you are ignorant about the existence of a singer and using that to argue that someone is not "a legend" is probably not a good idea, though perhaps worthy of your new tag. There have been a great many singers over time, and you (and I) probably haven't heard of thousands of them, including many very influential and successful singers.

I would also like to point out that being a legend is not necessarily a product of incredible sales. Can you think of another white performer in pop music whose consistently attracted a predominately non-white audience? Can you think of a white female performer in the 1970s and early 80s, before Madonna, who was in control of her own image and sound and had the respect of her peers musically, vocally, and professionally? She might not be remembered the way that a global superstar would be, but she deserves her accolades and attempting to reduce an ineffable status like "legend" down to "Have I heard of her?" or "What were her sales?" does an injustice to the idea.

Kyon

Banned
I would just like to suggest that pointing out that you are ignorant about the existence of a singer and using that to argue that someone is not "a legend" is probably not a good idea, though perhaps worthy of your new tag. There have been a great many singers over time, and you (and I) probably haven't heard of thousands of them, including many very influential and successful singers.

I would also like to point out that being a legend is not necessarily a product of incredible sales. Can you think of another white performer in pop music whose consistently attracted a predominately non-white audience? Can you think of a white female performer in the 1970s and early 80s, before Madonna, who was in control of her own image and sound and had the respect of her peers musically, vocally, and professionally? She might not be remembered the way that a global superstar would be, but she deserves her accolades and attempting to reduce an ineffable status like "legend" down to "Have I heard of her?" or "What were her sales?" does an injustice to the idea.

You didnt lie :)

buuuut still doesnt help that i somehow didnt hear of her

yet i know everyone on this list. An actual Legend is still KNOWN at the end of the day.

Diana
Patti
Chaka
Madonna
Janet
Whitney
Mariah
Beyonce
Celine
Cyndi
Dolly
Lauryn
Mary
Missy
Nina
Sade

botty

Banned
Crystal Kay Acapella Tribute to Michael Jackson

When will your faves pay tribute to the Queen of Pop's older brother?

Vertical video tho...

RIP Michael

Oh at her still being in New York, near ME. *.* She slayed those covers.

So by asking these questions are you defining what you believe a "legend" is? Or rather what makes Teena Marie a legend? Cause if you are... you can knock a few of these out. Attracting a predominately non-white audience isn't a plus, if another white female artist can attract the non-white audience and white audience. And considering white artist was what was predominantly played on the airwaves and on television during the 80s, it's safe to assume they had non-whites, too. Also, Late 70s/80s female singers weren't exactly under the same "look this way" pressure as the girls from the past. Olivia Newton John and a lot of the disco divas were doing sexy/controlled images before Madonna. The fact that you included "white" in there makes it even more bizarre, since it comes off as if white women in particular were unable to do so (and I'm contrasting this with other races of women, not men).

You do have a point about her peers respecting her musically, vocally and professional. That I will give you. Even today, she is still held in high regard for being the "white girl with the black voice" or whatever. And in defense of Kyon's "i haven't heard of her"— well, it's not like he is general ignorant to music and stuff. He's here for pop girls, kpop, R&B, and other genres that most of us don't know about. So if he doesn't know her, well... that says something to me at least. I would expect a legend to at least be a recognizable name.

I don't feel like derailing that mess of a Miley Cyrus thread further, but the anti-PopGAF talk is so OT2. If they'd visit the actual thread they'd see that our regulars are perhaps the most articulate and progressive members on this entire forum (and occasionally using ballroom vernacular doesn't change that fact at all) . Bless y'all <3

royalan

I agree

Trigger

Frank Ocean performs new tracks

He's coming again for those Grammys.

I don't feel like derailing that mess of a Miley Cyrus thread further, but the anti-PopGAF talk is so OT2. If they'd visit the actual thread they'd see that our regulars are perhaps the most articulate and progressive members on this entire forum (and occasionally using ballroom vernacular doesn't change that fact at all) . Bless y'all <3

And take the effort to challenge some of their notions of what we are? Pffft.

3phemeral

Mumei has a point but a true legend shouldn't need any introduction tbh

That's really only true for present-generation artists, really. And not even completely at that. Mumei's right in that it's not necessarily the correlation of sales or exposure, especially in this current climate, that really dictates the climate for what's considered "legend status."

Point being, relatively current artists will always seem to have more seeming influence or impact because they're immediately accessible. Whereas legends of time's past who most assuredly paved the way for today's music won't be as well known to the general public simply because they don't have that same outlet (nor are they currently active); they wouldn't be on the tips of everyone's tongue despite their contributions to music or pop culture.

botty

Banned
Frank Ocean performs new tracks

He's coming again for those Grammys.

is4GXLsrRltDg.gif

That's really only true for present-generation artists, really. And not even completely at that. Mumei's right in that it's not necessarily the correlation of sales or exposure, especially in this current climate, that really dictates the climate for what's considered "legend status."

Point being, relatively current artists will always seem to have more seeming influence or impact because they're immediately accessible. Whereas legends of time's past who most assuredly paved the way for today's music won't be as well known to the general public simply because they don't have that same outlet (nor are they currently active); they wouldn't be on the tips of everyone's tongue despite their contributions to music or pop culture.

This is bullshit. There is a reason why people like Elvis, the beatles, Michael Jackson, James Brown, etc... who have been out longer than Teena, are still at the forefront of people's minds when they think of music legends even to this day. Their impact was in equal parts to their talent, acclaim, and ability to garner attention. I'm not going to let you guys bring down true legends in order to shoehorn Teena into that category.

Marvelous

I decided to check out Pop-GAF. The OP is very nice. :eek:
Can't say that I keep up with pop music, though.

And yes, I'm well aware that members of Pop-GAF don't all type in slang. :p

Trigger

I'm surprised you didn't post it already tbh.
bhuHH.gif

I decided to check out Pop-GAF. The OP is very nice. :eek:
Can't say that I keep up with pop music, though.

And yes, I'm well aware that members of Pop-GAF don't all type in slang. :p

Bless. Artemisia would be happy to hear that.

maybe this time he won't perform dumb shit like Forrest Gump. i cant decide if the crowd was more put off by the subject matter or the fact that the song itself is audio ambien.

It was a really bad way to introduce yourself to a mainstream audience. I'm still hopeful for the new album tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom