• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

That's really only true for present-generation artists, really. And not even completely at that. Mumei's right in that it's not necessarily the correlation of sales or exposure, especially in this current climate, that really dictates the climate for what's considered "legend status."

Point being, relatively current artists will always seem to have more seeming influence or impact because they're immediately accessible. Whereas legends of time's past who most assuredly paved the way for today's music won't be as well known to the general public simply because they don't have that same outlet (nor are they currently active); they wouldn't be on the tips of everyone's tongue despite their contributions to music or pop culture.

It's not like people don't know Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald or Miles Davis or John Coltrane or Herbie Hancock or Nat King Cole. Time is friendlier to legends, if anything.

Kyon

Banned
This is bullshit. There is a reason why people like Elvis, the beatles, Michael Jackson, James Brown, etc... who have been out longer than Teena, are still at the forefront of people's minds when they think of music legends even to this day. Their impact was in equal parts to their talent, acclaim, and ability to garner attention. I'm not going to let you guys bring down true legends in order to shoehorn Teena into that category.

drag the irrelevants

is4GXLsrRltDg.gif

Kyon

Banned
I think you're giving a lot of people way too much credit.

but i know who all of those are o_O no really

i stilll dont know who da phuck Teena is tho. Is she even doing anything?

Honestly a Legend always has timeless hits that everyone has heard at least once. What are hers so i can see if i know her just not by name?

This is bullshit. There is a reason why people like Elvis, the beatles, Michael Jackson, James Brown, etc... who have been out longer than Teena, are still at the forefront of people's minds when they think of music legends even to this day. Their impact was in equal parts to their talent, acclaim, and ability to garner attention. I'm not going to let you guys bring down true legends in order to shoehorn Teena into that category.
ixdAQsvUlUxRO.gif

Whats's the problem here. Teena is legendary. Maybe she's just legendary to black folks, but she's legendary nonetheless. I guess Luther, Gladys, Al Green... ect ect aren't legendary. But I ask you this, who would your little popgirls emulate if it weren't for the R&B legends of old?

botty

Banned
Is "No Homo" considered homophobic?

cause...

Mr2APSt.png

How things have changed!

The irony of course, is that Francis ended up sucking on many heads, banging his manager, and probably doing some guy named carl hard. And he has ever right to do so.

iZnXJp4wdCb3V.gif

Kyon

Banned
ixdAQsvUlUxRO.gif

Whats's the problem here. Teena is legendary. Maybe she's just legendary to black folks, but she's legendary nonetheless. I guess Luther, Gladys, Al Green... ect ect aren't legendary. But I ask you this, who would your little popgirls emulate if it weren't for the R&B legends of old?

Teena has no impact and is no legend bye. I knew every person you just said BUT her

cause...

How things have changed!

The irony of course, is that Francis ended up sucking on many heads, banging his manager, and probably doing some guy named carl hard. And he has ever right to do so.

iZnXJp4wdCb3V.gif

Disgusting FILTH

is4GXLsrRltDg.gif

In her sleep; natural causes.

Poor thing that is horrible.

Mumei

So by asking these questions are you defining what you believe a "legend" is?

Nope.

Or rather what makes Teena Marie a legend?

Not precisely. I was making the point that I don't believe that one's status as a "legend" is reducible to a list of career accomplishments and is something that has to be judged on a more holistic basis. I think that the respect of one's peers, musical influence, and lasting acclaim are all important qualities, and are at least as important as the album sales, singles sales, and radio support they achieved. And in considering these qualities we need to contextualize them: When were they singing? What genres were they singing? Were they likely to achieve mass success? Is Mahalia Jackson less of a legend because her decision to sing gospel means that she is less remembered by mainstream (and more particularly, white) audiences than someone who sang jazz like Ella? Is she less of a legend than Aretha because Aretha "sold out" and stopped singing for Jesus? I don't think so.

Attracting a predominately non-white audience isn't a plus, if another white female artist can attract the non-white audience and white audience.

It is not a plus if we are not talking about career sales - where indeed it would be better to attract both audiences. It is, however, relevant to discussing the career of a singer to note that she was the only white female singer who was able to sing in genres that were dominated by black performers and primarily listened to by black audiences and to be embraced by those same audiences. This is an accomplishment.

And considering white artist was what was predominantly played on the airwaves and on television during the 80s, it's safe to assume they had non-whites, too. Also, Late 70s/80s female singers weren't exactly under the same "look this way" pressure as the girls from the past. Olivia Newton John and a lot of the disco divas were doing sexy/controlled images before Madonna. The fact that you included "white" in there makes it even more bizarre, since it comes off as if white women in particular were unable to do so (and I'm contrasting this with other races of women, not men).

On the contrary, black women were played as well. However radio was - and is - racially segregated. There's a reason why there are genres that are thought of as "black" and it has a lot to do with the racial make-up of the singers and the audiences. So my inclusion of white women specifically is bizarre only if you suppose that race was inconsequential in terms of perceptions of authenticity, whether you will find radio support singing certain genres, and whether audiences will support you. This is simply not the case, and while there have been singers that have achieved large crossover appeal, they wouldn't be notable if they were not rare. A white woman who chose to sing R&B and eschewed the pressures to be a disco queen - Donna Summer was at her height when Teena's career began - was extremely rare. It is even more rare for that singer to be truly embraced by R&B audiences.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ixdAQsvUlUxRO.gif

Cher is legendary and you didnt wanted to acknowledge her (does not compute post) so I dont know why you going with this right now sis since it makes your point look bad. It makes it seem one sided to your opinion and not really trying to make a coherent post going for facts and only going into your bubble of faves. SiT

Mumei

'A true legend' – stars pay tribute to Teena Marie

From Diddy to Mark Ronson, Teen Marie's massive influence on R&B, and music in general, has been eulogised across the web

-----

The holiday bells carried a smokey, doleful note for everyone who loved Teena Marie, the R&B legend who died on 26 December. Artists including Mary J Blige, Alicia Keys and Estelle mourned Marie's death in messages online, calling her "timeless" and inspiring".

"So sad," wrote Estelle on Twitter. "Teena created music that is timeless!" agreed Missy Elliott. "Songs sung with soul and conviction, a true LEGEND!" The Roots' ?uestlove spent hours tweeting comments about and tributes to Marie. "She was an amazing work of art," he wrote. The DJ drew particular attention to the Brockert Initiative, which takes its title from Teena Marie's real name; the Initiative was a landmark ruling for musical artists' rights. "[She was] a rare phoenix of a soul," he said. "A TRUE ARTIST."

British DJ and producer Mark Ronson hailed Marie as a "bona fide legend of R&B". "I must have spun her records over 5,000 times and will continue to," he wrote.

Keys celebrated one record in particular – Fire and Desire – "one of the most beautifully performed songs". "Once a beautiful song, always a beautiful song! Certain songs just have that 'THING'!" And Diddy, inevitably, made it all about himself. "RIP Teena Marie," he declared. "Damn I just saw her the other day."

Blige wrote at length about Marie, calling her a model and a muse. "[She] inspired me vocally as a child," she explained. "Her songs I sang in the mirror with a hair brush ... Every girl that grew up in the hood, with her blasting through the windows, cars and radio waves can feel me ... All of your music will live forever through me."

Unexpectedly, one of the most poignant tributes came from rocker Lenny Kravitz, who posted a simple, solemn eulogy video on Youtube.

"I've never really talked much about it in depth, but I would not be here ... if it wasn't for Teena," he confessed. "She took me in when I was around 16. I was just a musician on the street. I was living from pillar to post. She took me in. She gave me a bedroom. She fed me. She cooked for me. She took care of me. She gave me instruments to play. She took me to all her recording sessions. She took me to concerts. She nurtured me and helped me to become who I am. She changed my life not only as an artist but as a person.

"Teena Marie was a treasure, was a genius – composer, arranger, singer, musician, unique [and] underrated by far," Kravitz continued. "I just want to send all my love and respect out to the family."

Marie was 54.

More:

R&B Legend Teena Marie dies At 54
Video: Music Legend Teena Marie dies at 54
R.I.P. Teena Marie: Celebs Remember The Legendary Singer On Twitter
Legendary R&B Singer Teena Marie Passes at 54

What is the surest sign of one's status? Popular acclamation of said status.

cory64

"Miles Davis is a legend."
"Elvis is a legend."
"Frank Sinatra is a legend."
"Madonna is a legend."
"Etta James is a legend."
"Aretha is a legend."
"Teena Marie is a legend because..."

Not to take anything away from her accomplishments, but there's a bit of a difference. Legend status can be gained over time by fervent stanbases (see: Tesla), so the book's not closed on this yet, we'll see.

Nemesis_

Jesus christ even I've heard of Teena, y'all ain't right.

This talk about accomplishments and sales is almost as shallow as the graphics debate in video games.

It gives Pop music a bad name tbh

Partition

Banned
Why do your faves even try?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - After two years as a runner-up, Oprah Winfrey was named the most powerful celebrity on Wednesday by Forbes, heading the six women and four men who make up the top 10.
It was the fifth time the former talk show host who runs her own TV network has headed the annual ranking of 100 celebrities.
Singer Lady Gaga came in second, followed by director/producer Steven Spielberg and singers Beyonce and Madonna.
"There is nobody else with that kind of consistency and power," said Dorothy Pomerantz of Forbes.com. "There are only three people who have been on every single one of our lists since 1999. It is Oprah, Howard Stern and Steven Spielberg."
Singer and actress Jennifer Lopez, who was No. 1 last year, dropped to 12th place.
With earnings of $77 million from June 2012 to 2013, Winfrey was not the highest earning celebrity, an honor that went to Madonna who made $125 million, but Forbes said Winfrey's position in Hollywood and her presence in the press, on television and in social media propelled her to the No. 1 spot.
"She still wields an enormous amount of power, which is really what we look for in our fame matrix. She is taking this cable network and turning it around just through the sheer force of her will, her connections and her ability."
Despite hip surgery, which forced her to cut short a tour, Lady Gaga earned $80 million in the past 12 months which, along with her army of fans and powerful social media presence, assured her second place.
"She is still a huge force in pop music. Even when she is not playing, people are talking about her and speculating about her," Pomerantz said.

Spielberg, with earnings of $100 million in the last year, was the top man on the list, ahead of rock star Bon Jovi at No. 7, tennis champion Roger Federer and Justin Bieber, the youngest member of the list, squeezed into the top ten at No.9.
Although only 23, sixth place singer Taylor Swift, made the list for the first time and rounded out the top 10 along with Emmy-award winning TV talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.
MONEY, FAME, SOCIAL MEDIA
Forbes based a celebrity's earnings on income from tours, books, contracts, endorsements, movies and residuals. Each celebrity was given a marketability score, developed by California market research firm E-Poll.
It gauged fame and influence by how often celebrities appear in the media. It used Starcount, a Singapore-based company that looks at 11 social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to determine their presence in social media.
"In today's world celebrities have this enormous ability to reach out to their fans, who really are their customers, and to sell their product, which is really themselves. If they don't take advantage of that it hurts them," said Pomerantz.
Pop stars, most notably Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Barbados-born singer Rihanna, are particularly good with handling social media, according to Forbes.
Top celebrity couples include Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z (32), American football quarterback Tom Brady (65) and his model wife Gisele Bundchen (81), and actor Ashton Kutcher (53) and his girlfriend Mila Kunis (89).
Best actress Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence, who was No. 49, is a newcomer to the list this year, as is Hugh Jackman, who was No. 11, and new father Channing Tatum (23).
The full list of the top 100 celebrities can be found at www.forbes.com/celebs
(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; editing by Christopher Wilson)

iz4C8EGcyKmqK.gif

All that tea.
iEdYrUiWpdBjQ.gif

Cher is legendary and you didnt wanted to acknowledge her (does not compute post) so I dont know why you going with this right now sis since it makes your point look bad. It makes it seem one sided to your opinion and not really trying to make a coherent post going for facts and only going into your bubble of faves. SiT
It was supposed to be taken as a joke.
Tea part 2.
iEdYrUiWpdBjQ.gif

Jesus christ even I've heard of Teena, y'all ain't right.

This talk about accomplishments and sales is almost as shallow as the graphics debate in video games.

It gives Pop music a bad name tbh
ibqeZyGQOOM45L.gif

botty

Banned
Not precisely. I was making the point that I don't believe that one's status as a "legend" is reducible to a list of career accomplishments and is something that has to be judged on a more holistic basis. I think that the respect of one's peers, musical influence, and lasting acclaim are all important qualities, and are at least as important as the album sales, singles sales, and radio support they achieved. And in considering these qualities we need to contextualize them: When were they singing? What genres were they singing? Were they likely to achieve mass success? Is Mahalia Jackson less of a legend because her decision to sing gospel means that she is less remembered by mainstream (and more particularly, white) audiences than someone who sang jazz like Ella? Is she less of a legend than Aretha because Aretha "sold out" and stopped singing for Jesus? I don't think so.

But career accomplishments are what makes a legend. While not all of them may be as tangible as sales and chart success, those accomplishments also encompass the things you listed, like influence and acclaim. Is it not an accomplishment to be recognized and awarded for years, and on a global scale? And is it not also an accomplishment for your name to be apart of culture? I think your Mahalia Jackson/Aretha comparison isn't very fair in this case: both are clearly legends in their own rights, and have the recognition and awards to prove it. However, it would be a lie to say that Aretha isn't the bigger legend. But that would be going off on an entirely different tangent.

It is not a plus if we are not talking about career sales - where indeed it would be better to attract both audiences. It is, however, relevant to discussing the career of a singer to note that she was the only white female singer who was able to sing in genres that were dominated by black performers and primarily listened to by black audiences and to be embraced by those same audiences. This is an accomplishment.

I will agree with this point, being an accomplishment for anyone who is able to do it [be embraced]. I may even have to look up some facts on the point you tried to make about her controlling her sound/image, because I am not so sure on that. But you're definitely correct on the embracement.

On the contrary, black women were played as well. However radio was - and is - racially segregated. There's a reason why there are genres that are thought of as "black" and it has a lot to do with the racial make-up of the singers and the audiences. So my inclusion of white women specifically is bizarre only if you suppose that race was inconsequential in terms of perceptions of authenticity, whether you will find radio support singing certain genres, and whether audiences will support you. This is simply not the case, and while there have been singers that have achieved large crossover appeal, they wouldn't be notable if they were not rare. A white woman who chose to sing R&B and eschewed the pressures to be a disco queen - Donna Summer was at her height when Teena's career began - was extremely rare. It is even more rare for that singer to be truly embraced by R&B audiences.

I think you missed where I said "predominantly."

botty

Banned
edit: Isn't Miley's new era already bigger than Can't Be Tamed?

How scathing would it be if I linked to people claiming Xtina has one of the best voices of all time?

Goodnight, love.

ibaWzAYn12ICUD.gif

Bladenic

How is Bon Jovi at #7? Do not compute.

Poor Rihanna. Where she at tho?

That Miley perfo was good. Only the new King of Pop. Sorry Pink.

Riggs

Banned
What kind of hazing do I have to endure to become a member of popgaf? Not really sure I want to be a member of popgaf, but I kind of do. I am down with whatever hazing is necessary but please don't fuck with my ankles.

Kyon

Banned
What kind of hazing do I have to endure to become a member of popgaf? Not really sure I want to be a member of popgaf, but I kind of do. I am down with whatever hazing is necessary but please don't fuck with my ankles.

First start off by telling us who your faves are

Touchdown

Banned
Still depressed about the album pushback...... My body was so ready.
ed2305b7_zpsf97fde45.png

Waiting to see what she has to say about everything on The View this Friday.
tumblr_m0n7evJrep1qhk30fo7_r1_250.gif

Trigger

Tell us about your tastes. How do you feel about Rihanna?

0lVImRD.gif

Ties

Banned
ibm4pwkEanHiZP.gif

Let me whisper in your ear regarding the necessary prerequisites.

No hazing necessary - just don't say anything bad about anyone but Janet.

Not like anyone would defend ha

Icicle

No hazing necessary - just don't say anything bad about anyone but Janet.

Not like anyone would defend ha

I see that you're still pressed nearly four months after I put you out to pasture.

Not to beat a dead horse said:
Leona Lewis said:
Gerl please, secrete your oozing pus-filled hate elsewhere. Not in the mood for another essay on Jasmine Trias or some other 18th century whew.

It is a known facT that horses have a remarkable memory, so don't try and forget that you threw some drive-by Ciara shade a few minutes earlier, science isn't on your side.

Academic Journal Receipt by PhD

Leona Lewis said:
My fave may have certain equestrian predilections, but at least I can sleep soundly at night, confident in the belief that her flaw-free vagina has not been viciously gored by mutant dick.

Yes, I'm sure you do sleep quite soundly with nightly routine of shooting up some Special K. At least you're still shooting up in one aspect of your life, that probably balances out instances of missing the UK Top 200 altogether, with fewer than 600 copies sold, which was her most recent single...just a couple months ago, really.

You call her C-list-ara? Could it be that the shade coming from "one of today's most talented vocalists" was actually something of a compliment? This is coming from a local reality show personality who can't even crack the bottom of the chart in her home country and is now without her management team, Modest! (I guess she did not live up to Modest!'s expectations?). There's not even a proper counter shade for this, you have to be in last place to be a Z-lister, and you couldn't even manage that, so...

iishtftF7Vqid.gif

Leona Lewis said:
Such an unfortunate visage. No wonder your fave had to resort to getting her sexual cravings satisfied by raping fans on stage.

Did you think you were being funny, cute, clever, or achieving a good read here? Grasping at straws like Jasmine Trias, unspecified ancient whew, talking about Janet at all, much less her ex boyfriend, much less speculating about the state of his dick and why his face is responsible for Janet "raping" her fans during shows.

"Sniping", as I'm calling it, takes zero skill whatsoever. We can all hit upon each other's perceived faults/oddities/faves and throw a cursory read at each one. The point of responding should be to address what I've said and make a counterargument. When you start relying on unrelated "snipe" reads in order to bolster your post, it's because you didn't have anything to say in the first place. (People who say BYE and pressedt every third word are guilty of this too). If you're trying to say something, then be faithful to that intent. Mentioning unrelated things is transparent as hell and makes you look like angry and, for lack of a better word, pressed.

im2hMInlgbmGh.gif

Everyone knows you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink it. I'm not bringing you to the water so that you can drink it, though.

clHkvAc.png

Recall what I said about horses having incredible memories? It turns out that their recollection can be problematic because they hold on to traumas for a very long time.
"In fact, one nasty moment of fright and the horse will commit the fright, the place and the circumstances to memory for years." Receipt

The reason why we're in this beautiful lake is so that you are caught off-guard when I ruin your shit now. If you ever so much as step to me, Ciara, any of my faves, lesser faves, or any of my best sistren's faves, Ciara will Ride you right on back here. And it will go down exactly like this, mark my words.

I will stand on your head and snatch your mane while I wait for you to drown. After you've been drowned and pulled out of the lake, your body will be rented out to Mr. Hands in order to recoup some of the losses incurred from producing Glassheart. Although you never got a chance to do so when you were alive, you'll get to experience a multi-city tour of America as you are shipped between different veterinarian training schools. And then, decomposition...For you are dust, you have always been paid dust, and to dust shall you return.

Go ahead take a minute to soak all the beauty that we're surrounded by out here, because you will not be able to forget this scene for the rest of your "career"/Pop-GAF life.

Leona Lewis said:
I also read bitches and hoes.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. In the event that everything else I said has gone over your head, I at least wanted to give you something you'd be able to read.

8wSzlcm.jpg

ibhk1Sv65q2ECs.gif

This horse slaughter was brought to you by Sasha Grey.

Apparently the new NeoGAF doesn't allow one to quote posts from closed threads, so I faithfully and painstakingly recreated my post so that you could relive your shame.

I'm glad to see the clocking still has you fuming many months later. In fact, you are invited to stay seething indefinitely.

ibsmwB0B77ZnS6.gif

Mumei

How scathing would it be if I linked to people claiming Xtina has one of the best voices of all time?

Goodnight, love.

ibaWzAYn12ICUD.gif

Good morning, love.

By my standards, whether Christina is a good singer is a matter of objective fact; whether someone is a legend is a matter of objective facts combined with popular agreement on the meaning of those facts. Christina is indeed a good singer if by that you mean "many of her peers call her a good singer", but that's not the standard I use.

So not at all.

But career accomplishments are what makes a legend. While not all of them may be as tangible as sales and chart success, those accomplishments also encompass the things you listed, like influence and acclaim. Is it not an accomplishment to be recognized and awarded for years, and on a global scale? And is it not also an accomplishment for your name to be apart of culture? I think your Mahalia Jackson/Aretha comparison isn't very fair in this case: both are clearly legends in their own rights, and have the recognition and awards to prove it. However, it would be a lie to say that Aretha isn't the bigger legend. But that would be going off on an entirely different tangent.

I was demarcating between sales and chart success on the one hand and influence and acclaim on the other. It is certainly an accomplishment to have acclaim and influence; my point in demarcating these qualities is that there's a lot more time spent talking about sales and chart success and not nearly as much spent on acclaim or influence. And when musical acclaim is brought up - for talent in performing, singing, producing, writing, or something else - you are sure to see people denigrate it. This is what happens in every Rihanna vs Beyoncé debate. Rih stans point out her superior chart success and singles success, her very successful worldwide tour, and various product lines associated with her; Bey stans do not Soulscribe does not talk about sales or chart success and instead talks about acclaim and the respect that she is afforded in the press and in popular culture. I think that the Rih stans have a better argument for being "Queen of Pop" at the moment, but if they were talking about who is more likely to be considered a "legend" thirty years down the road, I'd call it a wash.

It is unsurprising to me that in a topic that focuses so much on the immediate present that taking a long view of someone's legacy and their acclaim and influence after their career is long over is not immediately intuitive. Oh, and you make a good point RE: Aretha being a bigger legend. Teena is indeed as not as big of a legend as some other singers. But she still is.

I think you missed where I said "predominantly."

I didn't, and you're dodging the point.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

cause...

Mr2APSt.png

How things have changed!

iZnXJp4wdCb3V.gif

What kind of a failed drag. The best part of being gay is that you get to make gay jokes. What part of Miguel's character gives him the right to kick his fans in the head?

cory64

I agree that Beyoncé is more likely to be considered a legend in 30 years at this point in time. She has such obsessive control over her image that I don't think she'd settle for anything less, by any means necessary.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
messsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

im legit SCREAMING

Seriously though there was this thread where a guy was like 'women have been objectified by everyone because they're obviously more aesthetically pleasing' and it was like 'what the fuck have you even ever seen classical statues? they're literally ALL hot guys'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom