• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Songs that are not charting as high as 212.

And as Trigger pointed out, Azealia continues to headline in big venues all over Europe, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

She is not done. Goodbye with that idea.

Why are you using 212 as a way to measure her current relevance? And you guys are inflating her touring; she isn't the only artist at those venues and if she is they aren't sold out.

Yado

Why are you using 212 as a way to measure her current relevance? And you guys are inflating her touring; she isn't the only artist at those venues and if she is they aren't sold out.

Because it's her biggest single so far and people are still interested in her because of it?

Mumei

What the hell? I can see why the homosexual community would flock to it that way, but it's not as if the song doesn't mean different things to different people. Especially since the intent of the song isn't inherently about or for the struggles of the gay community. In fact, it's because the song is so well known and diversely used that I am still a bit confused as to why it's a gay anthem....but this isn't me saying it isn't a gay anthem.

I think of a gay anthem as any song that has some sort of historic iconic status within the gay community, because there were gay people who identified with the song due to the lyrics or just liking the song or an emotional connection with the artist. Beautiful doesn't reach that status to me.

Aguila

#ICONIC

212 isn't that old. Considering that it's bigger than anything Iggy has done, more people will know who Azealia is.

This doesn't really matter much anyway tbh. The two are around the same point in their budding careers so anything can happen (or not happen) for them; to say that Azealia's career is over is premature thinking.

Skins starts tomorrow!
I'm prepping as necessary.

tumblr_mac1lwJXAd1r4uqono1_500.gif

botty

Banned
I think of a gay anthem as any song that has some sort of historic iconic status within the gay community, because there were gay people who identified with the song due to the lyrics or just liking the song or an emotional connection with the artist. Beautiful doesn't reach that status to me.

How is Beautiful not exactly what you described? You're confusing me, Mumei.

Mumei

How is Beautiful not exactly what you described? You're confusing me, Mumei.

It lacks 'historic iconic status' and I don't think it has as ubiquitous an appeal in the gay community, though the second is admittedly based on my own impressions of the gays I know.

It lacks 'historic iconic status' and I don't think it has as ubiquitous an appeal in the gay community, though the second is admittedly based on my own impressions of the gays I know.
I see it more as an empowerment anthem for self-loathers, not a liberation cry for gays (or any oppressed group in particular).

botty

Banned
Because it's her biggest single so far and people are still interested in her because of it?

212 isn't that old. Considering that it's bigger than anything Iggy has done, more people will know who Azealia is.

This doesn't really matter much anyway tbh. The two are around the same point in their budding careers so anything can happen (or not happen) for them; to say that Azealia's career is over is premature thinking.

Ok, I will hold this thought until ATMJAM is released.

Yeah, this is what I've been talking about. It seems people have different impressions and beliefs on what makes something a gay anthem. Beautiful is a song I just associate with the gay community, while Somewhere Over The Rainbow is something I associate with American/Film culture. I do see how SOTR is a gay anthem based on the information you shared, but then that goes into actually knowing all these lessor known gay culture facts.

edit: Also, I think that Beautiful being a personal song written by a lesbian gives it more of a genuine "gay anthem" vibe...in my opinion.

Just want to say that Blurred Lines fucking slays, its about time Robin got a hit, and yall need to stop. Or not, the song will continue to be awesome.

tumblr_mk3btiqPar1r13ce1o1_500.gif

Bladenic

Im curious as to why it wasnt for all the false tea tho. We clocked him on a few occasions :)

I want to know too, I thought repeatedly posting false rumors with no actual source is bannable. Mumei seems to be avoiding to answer (and I'm sure he has a good reason) so then just feel free to ignore this.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So we are half-way through 2013, how has it been PopGAF?

According to last.fm this are my top 5 songs of 2013 so far

Demi Lovato – Heart Attack
Miley Cyrus – We Can't Stop
Daft Punk – Get Lucky (Radio Edit) [feat. Pharrell Williams]
Lana Del Rey – Young and Beautiful
Kylie Minogue – Skirt

Trigger

None of the big pop girls have slayed me, but between JT, Kanye, and some smaller people I've had a good year. It's nice to take a breather and discover smaller artists. Albums from 2012 are still slaying me as well.

If I had to list my top 5 tracks of 2013 (in no particular order) they'd be:

-Strawberry Bubblegum (JT)
-Black Skinhead (Kanye)
-Her Favorite Song (Mayer Hawthorne ft. Jessie Waresus)
-The Way (Ariana Grande)
-Standing on Royalan's Wig (Queen Bey)

I want to know too, I thought repeatedly posting false rumors with no actual source is bannable. Mumei seems to be avoiding to answer (and I'm sure he has a good reason) so then just feel free to ignore this.

Drew was warned, and the good sis isn't nearly as bad people on Gaming Side anyway.

Mumei, I was revisiting the Vocalism OT as I do every few weeks to remind myself of HER UNRIVALED POWER

My new addiction. VIRTUOSA

None of the big pop girls have slayed me, but between JT, Kanye, and some smaller people I've had a good year. It's nice to take a breather and discover smaller artists. Albums from 2012 are still slaying me as well.

If I had to list my top 5 tracks of 2013 (in no particular order) they'd be:

-Strawberry Bubblegum (JT)
-Black Skinhead (Kanye)
-Her Favorite Song (Mayer Hawthorne ft. Jessie Waresus)
-The Way (Ariana Grande)
-Standing on Royalan's Wig (Queen Bey)
Gerl you are SPEAKING my LANGUAGE. What kind of sudden liking I've taken to you and your heretofore undetecteD R&B flawlessness. Give me ALL your playlists tbh

tumblr_lspw2iA5b61qjs0pno1_500.gif

I only use SOTS Live tho

botty

Banned
So we are half-way through 2013, how has it been PopGAF?

The only thing that has impressed me this year is Jared Leto's new album. The occasional bops I've used are Tamar Braxton's The One, Get Lucky, Azealia's Remix to Harlem Shake, ...I did like Work until Satch and Artemisia made it uncool so right now I kind of use Bounce.

And this K Michelle song is kind of a current bop.

Mumei

Well, that's a bigger deal on Gaming Side where it can affect the entire forum as dumb rumors spread and screw up conversations by causing them to be centered around inaccurate information because people don't necessarily know where the information came from or whether it was a reliable source.

But his bad information is only in PopGAF, and all he succeeds in doing is discrediting himself. I suppose I *could* ban for it but I don't really see the point yet.

Mumei, I was revisiting the Vocalism OT as I do every few weeks to remind myself of HER UNRIVALED POWER

My new addiction. VIRTUOSA

SoHyang shits. I rewatch that WestVoice video once in awhile. I think the only thing I've heard her do where I wasn't impressed was Emotions... though the reactions from the people make up for it.

Yado

Paramore – Be Alone
Flyleaf – Broken Wings
Diplo – Set It Off (feat Lazerdisk Party Sex)
El Perro del Mar – Home Is To Feel Like That
oOoOO – NO SUMMR4U

Hm. Not at all what I expected.
iBtuj0l2wNpjr.gif

Trigger

Gerl you are SPEAKING my LANGUAGE. What kind of sudden liking I've taken to you and your heretofore undetecteD R&B flawlessness. Give me ALL your playlists tbh

I only use SOTS Live tho

Bless. I don't have any playlists. I've just been listening to what POP and OT GAF have been suggesting. People post random songs they like here, but they're often paid dust.

I prefer SOTS Live too.

Nemesis_

I want to post my top 5 for this year but Enya has fucked up my LastFM from when I left Spotify open for DAYS without realising.

Here's what I can scavenge from the mess, assuming we're only talking about stuff that released this year:

1.) AlunaGeorge - Attracting Flies
2.) Röyksopp & Susanne Sundfør – Running to the Sea
3.) Tegan and Sara – I'm Not Your Hero
4.) Azealia Banks – Yung Rapunxel
5.) Icona Pop – Ready for the Weekend

Given what has come out and the fact that I can't purchase or stream Imagine It Was Us legally, I'm not surprised by my list.

But yes, the LastFM struggle is real and I can't wait until Enya leaves my charts

ibfGM60eZoJk9T.gif

Bladenic

I want to post my top 5 for this year but Enya has fucked up my LastFM from when I left Spotify open for DAYS without realising.

Here's what I can scavenge from the mess, assuming we're only talking about stuff that released this year:

1.) AlunaGeorge - Attracting Flies
2.) Röyksopp & Susanne Sundfør – Running to the Sea
3.) Tegan and Sara – I'm Not Your Hero
4.) Azealia Banks – Yung Rapunxel
5.) Icona Pop – Ready for the Weekend

Given what has come out and the fact that I can't purchase or stream Imagine It Was Us legally, I'm not surprised by my list.

But yes, the LastFM struggle is real and I can't wait until Enya leaves my charts.

Heartthrob was such a good album ;_; only the lesbian twin queens of Calgary.

SaintZ

My most scrobbled tracks in the last six months:

1. Avril Lavigne – Here's to Never Growing Up (213)
2. Lana Del Rey – Young and Beautiful (70)
3. Demi Lovato – Heart Attack (67)
4. Lana Del Rey – Burning Desire (62)
5. Lenka – Anything I'm Not (61)
5. Zedd – Clarity (61)

I'm surprised about Burning Desire's position tbh.

avrilawkwardouklf.gif

SoHyang shits.
From a great height, might I add.

This video is hilarious because all throughout (and especially at 8:25), those talentless SNSTD wank fodder infants (known in Korea as "idols" - a misnomer if I've ever seen one) are giving SoHyesu that same jealous glare I saw every single Asian classmate and their parents beam at me as I delivered the valedictory address at my high school graduation.

And you know what? She looks better than all of them. Talent is sexy.

COME AT ME KPOPGAF

EDIT: Catching up to this #messy thread. How, Mumei, have you come to the conclusion that Mariah does not have a big voice? Have you so quickly forgotten this flawlessness?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
speaking of gay and mean girls

lol did you know Aaron Samuels is gay IRL?

He is? How interesting

airplane.jpg

Top 5 Tracks

1 )Sia – Kill And Run
2) Misha B – Here's To Everything (Ooh La La)
3) Lana Del Rey – Young and Beautiful
4) Basement Jaxx – Back 2 the Wild
5) Rudimental – Not Giving In

Thought it would be different but I am content with it, tho I haven't listened to basement jaxx since the week it came out

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
PUPI18 TOP 5 OF 2013

artworks-000045491346-kzj8kj-t500x500-300x300.jpg
  1. Lana Del Rey - Young and Beautiful

JessieJ-Wild.jpg
  2. Jessie J - Wild

cher-womans-world-listen-now-to-new-single.jpg
  3. Cher - Woman's World

beyonce-standing-on-the-sun-artwork-300x300.jpg
  4. Beyonce - Standing On The Sun

Sugababes_taller_in_more_ways_album.jpg