• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
TOP 5 SONGS

1. White Noise - Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge

2. Diane Young - Vampire Weekend

3. Black Skinhead - Kanye West

4. Full of Fire - The Knife

5. Retrograde - James Blake

And some KEY ALBUMS SO FAR

vampire-weekend-modern-vampires-of-the-city-e1363814104508.jpg

f40d167d.jpg

kanye-west-yeezus-650.jpg

james-blake-overgrown-410.jpg

Wow, my first half 2013 top 5.
1. World of Fantasy - capsule
2. Fake It - Perfume
3. Sugar - Kerli
4. I just wanna XXX you - capsule
5. I Got a Boy - SNSD

Mumei

EDIT: Catching up to this #messy thread. How, Mumei, have you come to the conclusion that Mariah does not have a big voice? Have you so quickly forgotten this flawlessness?

I have, or rather I have been convinced of it by other peoples' arguments. I haven't forgotten about that performance - I even listen to it out of season! - but I think that demonstrates her projection more than it does the pure size of her voice or her volume. If you listen to her sing without a mic when she belts, she doesn't have a big sound.

I think it is most noticeable that she does not have a big voice when she is singing with brass. If you listen to her performances of If It's Over on Saturday Night Live, or Someday, Make It Happen, Emotions, or If It's Over on MTV Unplugged you should notice that she doesn't sing over the instruments. She doesn't produce more volume than the instruments. She projects through the din, and you can acoustically hear the instruments surrounding her voice instead of being behind her voice. You can hear an opera singer with a small voice producing even more squillo to do the same thing here.

By contrast, if you listen to Whitney singing against the horns at about 1:50-something in this video, her sound is clearly predominant. That's a bigger voice.

Oh, and this is a good video for why Christina has a smaller voice, with examples of bigger voices that are contrasted with Christina. I think the same contrast can be done with Mariah, though Mariah simply has better technique than Christina.

I can't really come up with 5 songs that warrant being on a top 5 "best songs" list for 2013 so Imma just wait for the real music to come out in the second half. lol

The only thing that warrants being in the top 5 is probably Grown Woman, which isn't even a real release. So I dunno.

Mumei

I can't really come up with 5 songs that warrant being on a top 5 "best songs" list for 2013 so Imma just wait for the real music to come out in the second half. lol

The only thing that warrants being in the top 5 is probably Grown Woman, which isn't even a real release. So I dunno.

... But Standing on the Sun (live) is better.

royalan

Oh, and this is a good video for why Christina has a smaller voice, with examples of bigger voices that are contrasted with Christina. I think the same contrast can be done with Mariah, though Mariah simply has better technique than Christina.

Ugh, I hate this video.

I get the argument being made, and it does have some merit. But this Lamb uses the most pointed clips possible.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I just used the top 5 songs on my iTunes number of plays that were released this year.

1. Tamar Braxton - "The One"
2. Ariana Grande - "The Way"
3. Wale (feat. Rihanna) - "Bad (Rihmix)"
4. Kelly Rowland - "Kisses Down Low"
5. JoJo - "Andre"

SaintZ

Watching it makes me realise just how small Lily's part is and makes me wonder why she even bothered >_>
Yeah when I first heard the song I was like "...that was it?" when it came to Lily's part.

I liked the video. I think this has been my favorite P!nk video from this era (the other 3 have been boring tbh).

ETA: The I'm Out video is out. I like it, CiCi is trying.

Be seated. Lily Allen Rose Cooper will flay the weaves from your non-Bey faves' scalps later this year or possibly next year in March 2014, possibly.

Lol I actually really really like Lily Allen. She just takes such a passive approach to her own career that it's kind of frustrating. She could be in a very different lane musically by now if she was inclined to try harder.

And Grown Woman >>>>> Standing On The Sun at this point. Grown Woman came on in the club this weekend and it was a fucking WRECKAGE. The gays swarmed the dancefloor so fast, it was amazeballs.

If you've never strutted to the second verse of Grown Woman then you haven't LiveD.

royalan

Arguing if Grown Woman is a better song than Standing on the Sun is like arguing which shade of shit is the prettiest. You can espouse on the merits of one turd's rich, chocolate hue and consistent texture. You can champion another turd's chameleonic shades of green with organically placed streaks of metallic yellow throughout.

But at the end of the day, you're just distracting yourself from the fact that both are just shit.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lol I actually really really like Lily Allen. She just takes such a passive approach to her own career that it's kind of frustrating. She could be in a very different lane musically by now if she was inclined to try harder.

Well she deliberately quit the biz and had a baby. The fact that she treats the whole thing as a hobby and yet still punches artistes with a regular release schedule out of the game speaks volumes about her ability.

Trigger

Arguing if Grown Woman is a better song than Standing on the Sun is like arguing which shade of shit is the prettiest. You can espouse on the merits of one turd's rich, chocolate hue and consistent texture. You can champion another turd's chameleonic shades of green with organically placed streaks of metallic yellow throughout.

But at the end of the day, you're just distracting yourself from the fact that both are just shit.

i1KzhSaSBgxEM.gif

Can we get married already?

Bladenic

I agree that Grown Woman is mostly meh, but Standing on Royalan slays. The second half of that leaked version is a little basic compared to the first, but the song still is quite good.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm rediscovering Lily Allen-Rose-Cooper's debut, Alright, Still.

Alrightstill.jpg

LordT what a flawless debut. Evokes summer in the World's Most Iconic city, strolling through Regent's Park or with your friends in Greenwich Park. And what the hell kind of feminist anthem Knock 'Em Out is.

Alright so this is a song about anyone, it could be anyone.
You're just doing your own thing and some one comes out the blue,
They're like,
"Alright"
What ya saying,
"Yeah can I take your digits?"
And you're like, "no not in a million years, you're nasty
please leave me alone."

If you haven't listened to it you are missing the hell out.

Yado

I liked Alright, Still at the time but I don't think it's aged very well. It's Not Me, It's You is garbage and I don't expect much from her in the future.

Abandond

Hi I heard a song on the radio with the line "where we could be" and I want to listen to it again and google is not giving me anything because the line is generic as shit.

pls help

I have been struggling to remember more lines, but it was a male singing.

And it was pretty fast.

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines?

Daft Punk - Get Lucky?

None of those have that line but they both sing lines that sound really similar. Is it more R&B, rock, pure pop, or country/folk?

Abandond

I C
O2Iuhct.gif

I assume you're in the US. Did it sound like a dance song? Was there a hip hop beat?

Maybe it was Mirrors maybe? Though that's not really a "fast" song.

Yea, US. It wasn't really a dance song, and no hip hop beat. I am pretty awful at describing music. It had a guitar though.

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines?

Daft Punk - Get Lucky?

None of those have that line but they both sing lines that sound really similar. Is it more R&B, rock, pure pop, or country/folk?

Neither of those, I'd say it was more towards rock than the others.

I think it was probably the Saturdays' iconic new single, Gentleman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5luP09KWqA

Give it a listen and let us know!

Male voice sadly.

Thanks for all the replies, btw.

Majmun

Reminds me of Bionic vs Lotus discussions

ijxVeTvfUcUeH.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To be fair though, I knew that Roy wouldn't keep up her concern troll act wrt Standing on the Sun forever, I'm just surprised that she didn't have the patience to even wait until its release.

royalan

Reminds me of Bionic vs Lotus discussions

ijxVeTvfUcUeH.gif

Trick you know you liked BOTH of those albums.

To be fair though, I knew that Roy wouldn't keep up her concern troll act wrt Standing on the Sun forever, I'm just surprised that she didn't have the patience to even wait until its release.

Godel pls. You act as though I'm the only one who turned coat on that damn song.

Sia having anything to do with a track would usually be ENOUGH to make me stan it. But that second verse is an unfinished embarrassment and the entire track falls apart at that point. Even most Bey stans are admitting that SotS is a disappointment for this very reason, not just me. So stay pressed. It's what you're good at. *.*

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Godel pls. You act as though I'm the only one who turned coat on that damn song.

Sia having anything to do with a track would usually be ENOUGH to make me stan it. But that second verse is an unfinished embarrassment and the entire track falls apart at that point. Even most Bey stans are admitting that SotS is a disappointment for this very reason, not just me. So stay pressed. It's what you're good at. *.*

The difference is that Bey stans are DISAPPOINTED with the song, they are not saying that comparing it with GW is like comparing two different kinds of shit.

The fact of the matter is that you dropped your cover too quickly and that's trashed your backstory. It was obvious for a long time that you were only pretending to like SotS for as long as you needed to so that you when you eventually and inevitably turned on it to announce that it is the single worst song in human history and makes you reconsider your opinion of Adolf Hitler you could say 'no! i'm not just a delusionally pressed hater! i liked standing on the sun for ten minutes before the disappointing second verse/bit where beyonce does a singing thing i can complain about/she makes reference to female empowerment and i can spew pressed nonsense about some imagined hypocrisy!' (delete as appropriate) as though pretending to like one song for two months is enough for your opinions about Bey to gain weight or relevance.

As ever, stay Londa. I'll say hi to your fave's career for you when I take out the trash later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom