• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
4 is not her best album not now and not ever. UNDERRATED is probably the more accurate description.

Nothing will touch B
ey
idet. Nothing

ioAaPf8eZq1SU.gif

cory64

Being not on trend is what makes for the biggest smashes. Either way, the 4 era was a disaster even though I liked the album. Blaming the public for being anything other than unpredictable is sloppy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Being not on trend is what makes for the biggest smashes. Either way, the 4 era was a disaster even though I liked the album. Blaming the public for being anything other than unpredictable is sloppy.

Being not on trend is no guarantee of a smash though.

That's not what "on trend" means. Something needs to be on trend to trend. I think the words you're looking for are "unexpected," "new," or "fresh." Everything that's a hit on the radio right now is a hit because it applies to something that the buying public wants to hear, i.e. trends.

Kyon said:
4 is not her best album not now and not ever. UNDERRATED is probably the more accurate description.

Nothing will touch Beyidet. Nothing

As someone who listens to more Beyonce than what's certifiably healthy for me, I can tell you that B'Day ain't got shit on 4.

It's like a non-Britney fan telling you that Oops! I Did It Again is better than Blackout, ITZ and Femme Fatale. Wouldn't you clock them upside the head?

But you just said 4 wasn't on trend...

I know. 4 wasn't on trend, so it didn't do well. It could have, however, done better off of her name if she handled that era better.

Kyon said:
Except I'm a Bey Stan so not really the same thing. Also Oops is amazing so I can't disagree. ITZ >>>>

Ummm I didn't get your application for Hive enrollment anytime recently so I ain't buying iT. xoxo

People who don't relate to her musicality on a more sincere level (or those who take the individual songs more on face value than trying to understand the album itself as a unit) will always put B'Day before 4.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Rih twerkin' to Drake's verse on Fuckin' Problems.

You know what this means, Take care Part 2 is coming.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/03/rihanna-chris-broan-drake-twerk/?adid=hero2
I'm perchedT to see which masterpiece of a song they take out back, strangle, sexually abuse the corpse of and bury under their floorboards this time.
True, but Love On Top had the most impact from that album, so did Single Ladies from IASF.
So all we've established is that quality nor oddballness are enough to guarantee a smash.

GJ guys we've established something that's been common knowledge among virtually everyone for many years.

Kyon

Banned
Ummm I didn't get your application for Hive enrollment anytime recently so I ain't buying iT. xoxo

Whew are you again?

Just because I'm not a borderline psychotic deluded hoodrat doesn't mean I'm not a Stan. I hate BeyHive with a passion and I will keep dragging y'all till the day I die.

royalan

People who don't relate to her musicality on a more sincere level (or those who take the individual songs more on face value than trying to understand the album itself as a unit) will always put B'Day before 4.

This is the bullest of shit.

4 is no more cohesive and "Album-y" than any of her other albums just because its mostly comprised of mid-tempo love snoozers. It's still a hodgepodge of producers, writers, and stolen song credits.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Whew are you again?

Just because I'm not a borderline psychotic deluded hoodrat doesn't mean I'm not a Stan. I hate BeyHive with a passion and I will keep dragging y'all till the day I die.
Sis please don't, you drag Bey for filth all the time, how on Earth is anyone supposed to believe you stan her?

This is about as believable as me claiming Rih is my #1 fave.

Not really sure I qualify as BeyHive either tbh

Kyon

Banned

This is complete and utter bullshit. You think you have some special insight on her music that no one else understands? Pretentious and utter crap

Sis please don't, you drag Bey for filth all the time, how on Earth is anyone supposed to believe you stan her?

This is about as believable as me claiming Rih is my #1 fave.

Not really sure I qualify as BeyHive either tbh

I do what does that have to do with anything? Her past eras have been nothing but disappointing and pointless. Her decisions are nothing but crap. She needs a damn manager. Period. I'm done defending her I was over it years ago. She needs to get her shit together

Same thing with Gaga.

Also people can't tell you you're a Stan or not. That is the groupie definition. If you aren't delusional and praise everything groupies dismiss you. I've done more contributing than those idiots would ever for her. I Stan with my money first and foremost. They can't say the same thing obviously judging by 4's sales and all the recent singles. No radio presence. The BeyHive sickens me.

Whew are you again?

Just because I'm not a [b[borderline psychotic deluded hoodrat[/b] doesn't mean I'm not a Stan. I hate BeyHive with a passion and I will keep dragging y'all till the day I die.

What a perfectly concise description of your busted-lace-front-wigged fave, who I'm sure right now is probably in her bunker chowing down on chocolate-laced cheetos while applying the finish touches on her Ice Age 2 coloring book.

I would ask hew YOU are but they keep banning yo ass every other day that I can never time the question right...

You're my favorite

This is the bullest of shit.

4 is no more cohesive and "Album-y" than any of her other albums just because its mostly comprised of mid-tempo love snoozers. It's still a hodgepodge of producers, writers, and stolen song credits.

I wouldn't expect a Britney fan to see the value in 4, but a Christina fan? Am disappoint.

Kyon

Banned
What a perfectly concise description of your busted-lace-front-wigged fave, who I'm sure right now is probably in her bunker chowing down on chocolate-laced cheetos while applying the finish touches on her Ice Age 2 coloring book.

I would ask hew YOU are but they keep banning yo ass every other day that I can never time the question right...

You're my favorite

I wouldn't expect a Britney fan to see the value in 4, but a Christina fan? Am disappoint.

Are you still drunk? >_>

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I do what does that have to do with anything? Her past eras have been nothing but disappointing and pointless. Her decisions are nothing but crap. She needs a damn manager. Period. I'm done defending her I was over it years ago. She needs to get her shit together

Same thing with Gaga.

Also people can't tell you you're a Stan or not. That is the groupie definition. If you aren't delusional and praise everything groupies dismiss you. I've done more contributing than those idiots would ever for her. I Stan with my money first and foremost. They can't say the same thing obviously judging by 4's sales and all the recent singles. No radio presence. The BeyHive sickens me.

So you're reiterating YET AGAIN that your faves' sales are the most important thing about them, and that people who don't care about that are 'sickening'. Okay, whatever. I'm out. This is an argument I'm not willing or drunk enough to have right now.

This is complete and utter bullshit. You think you have some special insight on her music that no one else understands? Pretentious and utter crap

Girl, yes.

If I put meaningful, positive value into something, and someone else describes it negatively in shallower terms than I would use, then yes, I would say that the music resonated with me on a level that's different than how it resonated (or didn't resonate) with others. That isn't pretentious, it's common fucking sense.

"I love the Chronicles of Narnia because of its commentary on Christianity and organized religion."

vs

"I hate the Chronicles of Narnia coz there's no such thing as a talking lion."

Two very different opinions but they're operating on different wavelengths. One person has gone deeper and found some meaning through it, while Bitch 2 is stuck on the surface and can't seem to go further in.

So yes, I say this about the music I like as well as anything else that I find enjoyable on a meaningful level that others dismiss or don't like as much. You just aren't listening to it the way I do. Simple as that.

This is nonesense and it might show that you care more about her having a career with consistent #1 hits than a rich portfolio of songs, which is the case now.

This is a narrow view. Spending money on my fave isn't a priority. She doesn't need my money. The only thing that matters to me is that she's putting out music that she likes because the music she likes is the music I wanna hear. That's why I'm a fan. So this whole "you're not a real fan because you didn't send that song to number one" is bullshit.

moulels

Stop everything.

Really excited 2 give u a taste of my new album... can't wait 2 share what I've been working on. Going to be my most personal album ever :)
[tweet]https://twitter.com/britneyspears/status/352523756960350208[/tweet]

ibqwsra6SySqjB.gif

EDIT: Oh

ibqwsra6SySqjB.gif

Kyon

Banned
I'm not sure if they're on the album. That'd be weird if they DIDNT already submit and recorded with her already. They always make ha albums.

Omg it happened. I'm doing my annual Britney only sessions on my iPod. I'm screaming
I haven't listened to ha music in months since Ooh La La
ibqwsra6SySqjB.gif

If Beyonce can't manage a number one hit in a year where this song is smashing, then it obviously just says more about the people who listen to radio rather than the artist herself.
Ah, blaming the public for suddenly paying utter dusT to artists that same public at one time propelled into the stratosphere of mainstream success.

Stop copying me, bitch.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's easy to be on time when you're half-computer.

But really though, I'll be perched for new Britney. FF was disposable fun, but it was fun. :)

RIP that this 'half-computer' put out a better album than your fave has managed in her entire career

If you consider B2B a double album (which I do), it certainly qualifies.

Yeah, side A is definitely a fully realized unit, and I'd put that up there with Blackout and ITZ.

Side B is all over the place stylistically though. Granted it's my favorite of the two sides, but it's more of a collection than a single sound.

Yeah speaking of that... I'm still hoping Brit does a double album one day ;__;

Britney Spears never strikes me as someone who has a lot to say. lol

Kyon

Banned
Britney Spears never strikes me as someone who has a lot to say. lol

Britney and ITZ beg to differ tbh

Also she's always writing songs but always ends up saying yes to other ppls work over her own nowadays.

In this album she is finally going back to her creative side

Stripped needed to be 5 songs shorter to be more focused. Back To Basics comes in with a theme and aesthetic that's too broad to reign in, and while it keeps within those margins throughout (and does so very, very well) a lot of songs become disposable outliers because they don't quite fit in with the rest. Every single song on 4 fits in with the rest. The one with least in common with the rest though is Run The World, but that song ONLY works on 4 because it's the last song. It's a total 180 flip from the soulfulness of 1+1, and that's the only way it works on that album.

royalan

Stripped needed to be 5 songs shorter to be more focused. Back To Basics comes in with a theme and aesthetic that's too broad to reign in, and while it keeps within those margins throughout (and does so very, very well) a lot of songs become disposable outliers because they don't quite fit in with the rest. Every single song on 4 fits in with the rest. The one with least in common with the rest though is Run The World, but that song ONLY works on 4 because it's the last song. It's a total 180 flip from the soulfulness of 1+1, and that's the only way it works on that album.

Every uptempo with the exception of Love On Top is an outlier on 4.

royalan

Not at all. As Soul said only RTW is sort of out of place. Countdown and End of Time fit in perfectly with the themes of the album.

Not sonically. The rest of the album has an easy retro feel until you get to those uptempo songs.

Speaking of theme...whaT is 4's theme? Fear, I'd say.

Not sure how 4 could by any measure be considered stylistically or thematically focused. It has about 52194 writers, and even that fact excepted, there are tracks like "1+1" and "I Care" that bear little resemblance to the island uptempo of "Countdown" or "End of Time", which in turn bear little resemblance to the retro stylings of "Rather Die Young" or "Love on Top".

And then stuff like "Best Thing I Never Had" sounds like throwaway AC fodder that Rihanna or Kelly passed over.

I remain unconvinced.

Every uptempo with the exception of Love On Top is an outlier on 4.

Love On Top is the antithesis to I Care.

Countdown is the antithesis to Best Thing I Never Had.

Run The World is the antithesis to 1+1.

What makes 4 great is that it lives and breathes all the inconsistencies in love and relationships. It fluctuates between that overt, almost psychopathic need for validation and dependence (1+1, I Care, I Miss You, Rather Die Young), the perpetual BASKING in validation and the flaws it comes with (Countdown blinds her to her own co-dependence, End of Time shadows that co-dependence with whimsical esotericness, Love On Top is about the infatuation with being adored), and the conflicting feeling of self-empowerment either through a bad relationship (Best Thing I Never Had) or through self-made means (I Was Here, Run The World, Schoolin' Life).

I think 4 is a great collection of songs that speak to every major asset of both a fullfilling and a damaging relationship and how both can serve us in positive ways (co-dependent validation vs insincere empowerment).

royalan

Love On Top is the antithesis to I Care.

Countdown is the antithesis to Best Thing I Never Had.

Run The World is the antithesis to 1+1.

What makes 4 great is that it lives and breathes all the inconsistencies in love and relationships. It fluctuates between that overt, almost psychopathic need for validation and dependence (1+1, I Care, I Miss You, Rather Die Young), the perpetual BASKING in validation and the flaws it comes with (Countdown blinds her to her own co-dependence, End of Time shadows that co-dependence with whimsical esotericness, Love On Top is about the infatuation with being adored), and the conflicting feeling of self-empowerment either through a bad relationship (Best Thing I Never Had) or through self-made means (I Was Here, Run The World, Schoolin' Life).

I think 4 is a great collection of songs that speak to every major asset of both a fullfilling and a damaging relationship and how both can serve us in positive ways (co-dependent validation vs insincere empowerment).

But this is all rather loose, don't you think? I mean, you're claiming that about half the album is the antithesis to the other half and that this makes the album a cohesive whole. I just don't think it all comes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom