• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
I didn't know that you were #Navy too. Bless.

ibaUAch3y34sQX.gif

Miley is the biggest urban female star in the world right now. I am just calling it like I see it, sorry.

They have only announced Gaga as a performer

Miley will probably perform

I really need her to perform. Do we know why she is in New York? Maybe for rehearsals? Or is it too early for that?

Oh... Well, I am just going by what the music industry considers "We Can't Stop" to be and the kind of artist Miley has labeled herself as. Opinions on the subject are arbitrary to the claim I made.

You could only consider WCS urban if you had never heard "urban" music before. Labeling a thing as something when it's clearly something else is kind of your deal, so I'll just accept that.
idgpCv9PXF3dY.gif

Mau ®

Miley is the biggest urban female star in the world right now. I am just calling it like I see it, sorry.

We Can't Stop is NOT urban. Stop this nonsense.

The only stations giving it spins are POP and RYTHMIC, for starters. Call me when she gets a #1 on an urban chart AT ALL. Just for reference, Rihanna has had 6 urban top 10's in a span of a year (3 of those were #1's btw).

I mean, Ciara is more urban queen than Miley.

botty

Banned
Mau ®;72879351 said:
We Can't Stop is NOT urban. Stop this nonsense.

The only stations giving it spins are POP and RYTHMIC, for starters. Call me when she gets a #1 on an urban chart AT ALL. Just for reference, Rihanna has had 6 urban top 10's in a span of a year (3 of those were #1's btw).

I mean, Ciara is more urban queen than Miley.

She should try to send her songs to urban. I'd like to see what happens. But anyway, I get what you're trying to say.

Miley ain't about that life.

well you guys are approaching it from an opinion perspective. I was looking at it based on what the labels are. But who am I to tell you guys what to believe /shrug.

botty

Banned

"You could only consider WCS urban if you had never heard "urban" music before."

This is what I am talking about. What we consider the song to be has nothing to due with it actually being urban or not. The song is dance and pop, too. I mean... "Get Lucky" is a disco song, but I am sure people consider it as other things.... doesn't change what it is.

---

Avril:
On the set of my video for #ROCKNROLL

bort

Do we know why she is in New York?
She's in Germany right now

She was in New York to announce she was performing on iheartradio festival at on GMA

She did some meetings with some magazines but idk what other meetings she did. She also did some photo shoots for a magazine

did a lot of interviews and let some of the media hear 3 of her songs like she's been doing

4x4 drive and wrecking ball

"You could only consider WCS urban if you had never heard "urban" music before."

This is what I am talking about. What we consider the song to be has nothing to due with it actually being urban or not.

It kinda does. You can't tell me a cow is a chicken, because I've actually seen cows before. Feel free to call it what you want, but that doesn't stop it from being what it is.

iNMaScyeGF0Hd.gif

botty

Banned
She's in Germany right now

She was in New York to announce she was performing on iheartradio festival at on GMA

She did some meetings with some magazines but idk what other meetings she did. She also did some photo shoots for a magazine

did a lot of interviews and let some of the media hear 3 of her songs like she's been doing

4x4 drive and wrecking ball

Oh, that explains that German interview I saw her in earlier. Are those song titles?

It kinda does. You can't tell me a cow is a chicken, because I've actually seen cows before. Feel free to call it what you want, but that doesn't stop it from being what it is.

iNMaScyeGF0Hd.gif

Yeah, but this chicken clearly has cow parts. The production and producer are urban, the label has listed it as R&B/Pop, and Miley has been very verbal in stating her new era is going to be urban. So I guess it's more of a mixture than one thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't Urban at all.

Trigger

There are urban white girls and then there's Miley. She'll need to pay her respects to the genre and the community a little longer before she holds any credibility with me. IMO you can't just go from pop Disney princess to hoodrat with a single song and not get the side eye.

The demo of Posh Life (the song that Gaga and Dallas did for TLC) has leaked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S7zlL6FYEtE#at=27

I've always loved Gaga's songwriting. It's obviously a rough demo, but it's cute.
M1GDraI.gif

Yeah, but this chicken clearly has cow parts. The production and producer are urban, the label has listed it as R&B/Pop, and Miley has been very verbal in stating her new era is going to be urban. So I guess it's more of a mixture than one thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't Urban at all.
I can accept this. I would be, however, reluctant to crown her an urban queen based off one song with a paltry urban slant.
iHlkGHWHy5UPL.gif

Pssst!

Botty

It's Rob you're talking to.

According to him, It's not Urban because she's white.
And you're a l liar. Did I not just argue that Teena Marie was an "urban" legend? You can miss me with that bull.
I've always loved Gaga's songwriting. It's obviously a rough demo, but it's cute.
M1GDraI.gif
Poor T&C. First that miscast biopic and now this. I hope they don't plan on selling many records.

bort

Oh, that explains that German interview I saw her in earlier. Are those song titles?

yes

heres a quote from one of the articles from when she was in London and playing the songs for them there
"Miley has delivered the most credible teen pop transition I’ve ever heard.

Drive, which she co-wrote with producer Mike Will, is a worldwide smash in the making.

Wrecking Ball, which she did with Dr Luke, is an epic ballad and 4×4 featuring Nelly, 38, and produced by Pharrell, is a nod to her Nashville country roots."

royalan

And you're a l liar. Did I not just argue that Teena Marie was an "urban" legend? You can miss me with that bull.

Well of course, because there's simply no denying Lady T...

But I'm curious, for you and Trigger...what do you require for an artist to be considered Urban without getting the side-eye?

botty

Banned
Pssst!

Botty

It's Rob you're talking to.

According to him, It's not Urban because she's white.

Tea.

I can accept this. I would be, however, reluctant to crown her an urban queen based off one song with a paltry urban slant.
iHlkGHWHy5UPL.gif

It's all pop lingo. Queen today, Madonna tomorrow. /shrug.

yes
heres a quote from one of the articles from when she was in London and playing the songs for them there
4×4 featuring Nelly, 38, and produced by Pharrell, is a nod to her Nashville country roots."

This sounds promising and reminds me of the old bop, "Over and Over" with Nelly and Tim McGraw.

Trigger

But I'm curious, for you and Trigger...what do you require for an artist to be considered Urban without getting the side-eye?

Rob is right with the word sincerity. If an artist shows a genuine love and respect for the genre then he/she isn't going to get the side eye from me. I wouldn't be bothered by someone calling say Robin Thicke or Jojo urban. Miss Cyrus was name dropping rappers she hadn't actually listened to in the past with Party in the USA. It's not hard to see why someone would give her the side eye. Maybe she'll be headlining major R&B venues and charting urban charts years from now. Or maybe she's just going to slide out of this "urban" phase like a soiled party dress in a year or two.

/rambling

EDIT- RIP I should have known this would lead to Bey somehow.

botty

Banned
Rob is right with the word sincerity. If an artist shows a genuine love and respect for the genre then he/she isn't going to get the side eye from me. I wouldn't be bothered by someone calling say Robin Thicke or Jojo urban. Miss Cyrus was name dropping rappers she hadn't actually listened to in the past with Party in the USA. It's not hard to see why someone would give her the side eye. Maybe she'll be headlining major R&B venues and charting urban charts years from now. Or maybe she's just going to slide out of this "urban" phase like a soiled party dress in a year or two.

/rambling

This isn't rambling tbh. I do wonder if this is just a phase or not.

botty tries, though.

Still nawt a legend~

royalan

/rambling

I can understand this. Although, I think someone can appreciate urban culture without having been raised in it. I can totally believe that Miley hadn't listened to Jay-Z just a few years ago. However, I look at how she is now, and how naturally "urban culture" seems to be coming to her, and I can believe that she's developed a respect for it. I think she genuinely adores urban culture. I think We Can't Stop is an urban single.

botty tries, though.

If I can overlook Cyno-sis' Beyonce stanning...*sigh*...I can turn a blind eye to Botty ignoring Lady T's reign. We #Fighters are a family, and families don't always agree. :(

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Its probably just a phase, she just recently said she doesn't know the members of 1D because she listens to urban music even though there is enough evidence that says otherwise

she is a mess but I still bop to her music
i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
lmao at botty trolling generating such a discussion. WCS is clearly a pop song. Just because Miley is attempting to be ratchet doesn't mean that her songs are suddenly urban.

i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom