• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
If I can overlook Cyno-sis' Beyonce stanning...*sigh*...I can turn a blind eye to Botty ignoring Lady T's reign. We #Fighters are a family, and families don't always agree. :(

I like her music andnd I know she is an urban artist, but I just don't think she is a legend. /shrug

lmao at botty trolling generating such a discussion. WCS is clearly a pop song. Just because Miley is attempting to be ratchet doesn't mean that her songs are suddenly urban.

i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

I'm not trolling. But of course the navy is going to be denying miley's urban impact RIGHT NOW.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm not trolling. But of course the navy is going to be denying miley's urban impact RIGHT NOW.

lmao at you trolling "Right Now" when the #NAVY agreed with the whole world that it was an awful single choice destined for failure. And what is the denial of her urban impact? I've yet to see WCS impact on any urban radio. Stop trolling.

I can understand this. Although, I think someone can appreciate urban culture without having been raised in it. I can totally believe that Miley hadn't listened to Jay-Z just a few years ago. However, I look at how she is now, and how naturally "urban culture" seems to be coming to her, and I can believe that she's developed a respect for it. I think she genuinely adores urban culture. I think We Can't Stop is an urban single.
If you think that urban culture consists of wearing grills and twerking, then yes, she's adept. As someone who rails against the Carters for their so called detriment to the black community, I fail to see how you don't see this co-opting and to some extent profiteering on the back of the so called "urban culture" equally as damaging. A Paul Mooney quote comes to mind when I think of girls like Miley Cyrus.
tew easy.

7RMd1.gif
I knew you would go there.
lmao at botty trolling generating such a discussion. WCS is clearly a pop song. Just because Miley is attempting to be ratchet doesn't mean that her songs are suddenly urban.

i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

lmao at you trolling "Right Now" when the #NAVY agreed with the whole world that it was an awful single choice destined for failure. And what is the denial of her urban impact? I've yet to see WCS impact on any urban radio. Stop trolling.
ibg9dgW54ztq42.gif

royalan

If you think that urban culture consists of wearing grills and twerking, then yes, she's adept. As someone who rails against the Carters for their so called detriment to the black community, I fail to see how you don't see this co-opting and to some extent profiteering on the back of the so called "urban culture" equally as damaging. A Paul Mooney quote comes to mind when I think of girls like Miley Cyrus.

1) I do consider wearing grills and twerking to be a part of urban culture, because it is.

2) Miley is nothing like Beyonce. Miley is a fan of urban culture dabbling in it for the first time. Beyonce is a succubus who gets held up as some sort of leader and role model for twerking her sweat-stained panties on a re-purposed tour stage.

botty

Banned
1) I do consider wearing grills and twerking to be a part of urban culture, because it is.

2) Miley is nothing like Beyonce. Miley is a fan of urban culture dabbling in it for the first time. Beyonce is a succubus who gets held up as some sort of leader and role model for twerking her sweat-stained panties on a re-purposed tour stage.

What's interesting is that we can't say for sure whether Miley is just getting into urban or not. It is a known fact that whites consume more hip hop than any other race, and so whose to say Miley hasn't always enjoyed rap, hip hop, or other urban genres. Her image and style has been controlled by Disney and her management team for years, but, like Legend X before her, she is a woman now... and she will control her image and sound however she wants. If she wants to make urban music with urban producers... then so it shall be. But it isn't fair to disregard her as an urban artist just because she "ain't bout that life" (xoxo trigger).

ibepQNF5rkJdna.gif

But is it the only part of urban culture? Or is it just an easy signifier that you want to be known as such? My problem is this: you want to be urban, great. Do you A)Immerse yourself in said culture and embrace all that it encompasses and make work that reflects that? or do you B) Tell some random producer you want an urban sound, throw on a grill and shake your hindquarters around?
I don't necessarily know Miley's process, and i'd put good money on B.

Oh, and as much as you dog Justin Timberlake out for that saaaaaaaaaaaame motherfucking thing, I don't know why you even sparked this conversation.
iHh5K7RIYM8sT.gif

Your issues with Beyonce are your own. I think they are absurd, but I don't also look to my faves to be my moral compass.

royalan

But is it the only part of urban culture? Or is it just an easy signifier that you want to be known as such? My problem is this: you want to be urban, great. Do you A)Immerse yourself in said culture and embrace all that it encompasses and make work that reflects that? or do you B) Tell some random producer you want an urban sound, throw on a grill and shake your hindquarters around?
I don't necessarily know Miley's process, and i'd put good money on B.

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with option B, depending on your intentions. If I felt that Miley was capitalizing on urban culture to make a dollar or get some shine, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But Miley had money AND shine before her love of urban culture blossomed, and she's not exactly getting MORE by jumping to urban. I think Miley is exploring, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And I don't dog JT out for appropriating Urban culture. Hell, I've gone on the record before many times stating that I STANNED Justified and FS/LS.

I dog JT out because his music sucks, his pretentious attitude about music sucks, and even reviewers think his music sucks, will state as much...but then go out of their way to find a reason to praise it anyway because he's Justin and is somehow doing R&B a favor.

bort

Yup Miley totally never liked "urban" before and it was all some marketing ploy that just started

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/08/13/gucci-mane-fan-miley-cyrus-shouts-out-ferrari-boyz-release/

this is from fucking 2011 1 year before she even started working on her album.

I bet people wish they could say she's only working with Pharrell because of blurred lines and get lucky

This entire transition is her and what she likes. I'll let Pharrell describe it. "It's just gonna sound like her and her influences, but it's not that hip-hop heavy," Pharrell says of the full body of work. That's not what she does, that's not where she comes from. It's a part of what she loves, which is a very big difference."

"I would expect that there would be elements of the things that she's into, but nothing rules her," he added. "She's a fiery Sagittarius; she can't be put into a box. None of us can anyway. All of us like a little of this and a little of that, in terms of the elements of our influences."

Its probably just a phase, she just recently said she doesn't know the members of 1D because she listens to urban music even though there is enough evidence that says otherwise

She didnt say that she didn't know the members she said "don't ask me to name a song" and "I don't really know them that much" which is different. She did say she knows what they look like

botty

Banned
This woman just keeps on slaying me.

Ellie Goulding - You Changed Everything

What dreamy production.

It could be a Halcyon Days reject. I'm not sure where it's from.

Jesus. These 3 leaks are already on par with Halcyon. In fact, with Burn selling so well... Halcyon Days might be more successful than Halcyon.

Yup Miley totally never liked "urban" before and it was all some marketing ploy that just started

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/08/13/gucci-mane-fan-miley-cyrus-shouts-out-ferrari-boyz-release/

these is from fucking 2011 1 year before she even started working on her album.

I bet people wish they could say she's only working with Pharrell because of blurred lines and get lucky

Well there we have it.

i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with option B, depending on your intentions. If I felt that Miley was capitalizing on urban culture to make a dollar or get some shine, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But Miley had money AND shine before her love of urban culture blossomed, and she's not exactly getting MORE by jumping to urban. I think Miley is exploring, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And I don't dog JT out for appropriating Urban culture. Hell, I've gone on the record before many times stating that I STANNED Justified and FS/LS.

I dog JT out because his music sucks, his pretentious attitude about music sucks, and even reviewers think his music sucks, will state as much...but then go out of their way to find a reason to praise it anyway because he's Justin and is somehow doing R&B a favor.
I pm'ed my response.
Well there we have it.

Yup, she's bona fide.
iJ9nTzfndIPR9.gif

Trigger

That Miley article doesn't change the nature of the discussion really.

1) She still isn't actually charting on urban charts or radio so she's no urban Queen.

2) The article just supports a point that's not in contention. Nobody disputes she has a recent interest in the genre. It's a question of whether it's genuine or just a phase.

It's just a matter of time. We'll see where she is years from now and how deep her sincerity goes.

I'll keep my mind open about her.

0lVImRD.gif

What dreamy production.

Slay Elliesus. This song is cute.

That TLC demo though...

iuekFJGkA85Kr.gif
It was abhorrent, so par for the course.
ihtA89WCGDnpv.gif

1) She still isn't actually charting on urban charts or radio so she's no urban Queen.

2) The article just supports a point that's not in contention. Nobody disputes she has a recent interest in the genre. It's a question of whether it's genuine or just a phase.

It's just a matter of time. We'll see where she is years from now and how deep her sincerity goes.

izhxQnBdKcCtI.gif

botty

Banned
Yup, she's bona fide.
iJ9nTzfndIPR9.gif

It's evidence that she has had an interest in urban music prior to her coming out as an urban artist. Don't know why that is such a hard thing to believe, really.

15yerd.gif

1 - Ok, I will concede to the point that she isn't dominating the Urban specific air waves, cause this is fact. But I don't think that by not sending the song to urban stations takes away from the song itself being urban. And I am sure where the song gets sent is up to her label, so they probably made the decision not send it to urban cause they know her core fans are listening to Pop. I would have liked to see what would have happened if it did get sent to urban, cause the song isn't topping the pop charts, yet it's slaying the hot 100.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
THR: Back to the occasion of the award for your acting career. Are you happy with the image of members of minorities in Hollywood today?

Belafonte: Not at all. They have not told the history of our people, nothing of who we are. We are still looking. We are not determinated. We are not driven by some technology that says you can kill Afghans, the Iraqis or the Spanish. It is all -- excuse my French -- shit. It is sad. And I think one of the great abuses of this modern time is that we should have had such high-profile artists, powerful celebrities. But they have turned their back on social responsibility. That goes for Jay-Z and Beyonce, for example. Give me Bruce Springsteen, and now you’re talking. I really think he is black.

Truly a shame
tumblr_mputegK2c51rveoj6o1_250.gif

Trigger

nnnnnn

Jay Z is being dragged through the coals in OT. That Belafonte quote is vicious, but I understand it.

I
1 - Ok, I will concede to the point that she isn't dominating the Urban specific air waves, cause this is fact. But I don't think that by not sending the song to urban stations takes away from the song itself being urban. And I am sure where the song gets sent is up to her label, so they probably made the decision not send it to urban cause they know her core fans are listening to Pop. I would have liked to see what would have happened if it did get sent to urban, cause the song isn't topping the pop charts, yet it's slaying the hot 100.

True enough. I hadn't considered that.

royalan

People don't give Trina the credit she deserves.

She has been in the game, releasing albums, doing shows, and being relevant as a female rapper pretty much longer than ANY OTHER CHICK at this point.

botty

Banned
People don't give Trina the credit she deserves.

She has been in the game, releasing albums, doing shows, and being relevant as a female rapper pretty much longer than ANY OTHER CHICK at this point.

True. Sure she's regional, but she is relevant in that region. And none of that paypal, struggle face stuff for her albums.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think Bey should get Kanye to produce 5ive. I want to hear them fire on every ridiculous cylinder, and for it to be glorious, and I want for the haters to be driven into apoplectic fits trying to denounce it.

And since, as we're constantly reminded, Bey's career is essentially over now anyway, she has nothing to lose. Bey should just write me my cut now tbh.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

What dreamy production.

Honestly I think before she released Halcyon they made a decision to make it a slower paced album that had more personal meaning
These fast tracks are giving me life though, Days is gonna be a flawless re-release

Is he new? I've never heard of him, like it though

QQHXmnz.jpg
jT9L5bI.jpg

45 and still making the front page for having an amazing body
You can send your frumpy faves back to the abyss

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly I think before she released Halcyon they made a decision to make it a slower paced album that had more personal meaning
These fast tracks are giving me life though, Days is gonna be a flawless re-release.
I said at the time that it sounded more like a musical mood board to me than an album I wanted to listen to. I'm here for more upbeat melodious Goulding.

[edit] and the Goddess Aphrodylie still looking flawless, omg

[edit2] an over eager fan tried to grab Bey but she wasn't having any of it

"I'm in the corner watching you kiss her
Oh, I'm right over here
Why Can't you see me
Oh, I'm giving it my all but i'm not the girl you're taking home
I keep dancing on my own"

PopGAF, why was this Robyn gem not a huge hit? I know this is like 3 years old already but it's a lot more timeless than some of the mindless drivel on the radio right now, like that horribly unoriginal Chirstina/Pitbull song.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh, I'm right over here
Why Can't you see me

PopGAF, why was this Robyn gem not a huge hit? I know this is like 3 years old already but it's a lot more timeless than some of the mindless drivel on the radio right now, like that horribly unoriginal Chirstina/Pitbull song.

Stan Godbyn and drag the orange witch.

royalan

Oh, I'm right over here
Why Can't you see me

Seethe at The Legend's continued relevance.

Actually, has Robyn ever actually tried to get big? She's ALWAYS been low-key, as far as I know.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Seethe at The Legend's continued relevance.

Actually, has Robyn ever actually tried to get big? She's ALWAYS been low-key, as far as I know.

When she was being pushed by a label she had some measure of success (although not a lot) with Show Me Love.

But since she changed direction with Robyn she's clearly been pretty happy with scalping everyone else's faves on the down low. And that's fine by me, it means I can get a ticket to see my fave for £20 at a Roundhouse positively packed with hot gay guys, push my way past the friendly beefcake to the front and get my life to the best pop music of the past decade.

Dear Popgaf,
For almost a year I've heard you say that I Am Sasha Fierce was an awful album. I should have known better. But I listened to you. Surprising no one, when I finally listen to it, outside of that Single Ladies garbage, I love it. I guess it's time to go back to all the universally hated, by popgaf, albums and get my life.
I'm not listening to Bionic or Lotus again.
With all due respect,
not much
<+)O Robido O(+>

PS: I'm so glad that Videophone didn't have a featured artist on the album version, its so much better without it.
iN3fstsnaPaQO.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom