• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
edit; I bet the line "call the police" features in it #mysticmatt

iNndzZXrFgCfZ.gif

Oh, I like "Police" as a song title. It's way better than "Roar". I want Britney and Gaga to slay, and knock Katy Perry out of the game. Is that too much to ask?

give me that thing that I love
put your hands up make 'em touch
A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E
I like that, but I hope A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E isn't some kind of cheerleader cheer or something.

Mau ®

as an outsider, if these rankings are accurate i'm not seeing how you could really say Gaga > Rihanna overall when Rihanna has her on 4/5 categories.
same w/ Taylor only it's 3/5 in Rihanna's favor.

does the touring matter that much?

I think it depends on what Cory is trying to calculate. Is it relevancy? popularity? sales? money & power?

Applause vs Police for the fall? Love it.

Make the right choice America.

You forgot "Roar" tho.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Still local, but selling out local stadiums > selling out WW arenas. She can play two stadium dates and clock 10M while two arena dates may only do 3M.

She's still slaying tho.

Mau ®

She ain't local. She's doing stadiums in Australia and the eruopean dates are coming.

She slayed WW with "We are never ever..." and "Trouble" and "Everything has changed" is doing quit great in Europe.

I mean something like 60% of her sales come from the US. Doesn't mean she doesnt slay everywhere else.

Except France. She's a total #neaux1curr there, or so I've noticed.

cory64

The overall rankings are based on the combined data, not the combined subrankings. Yes, touring matters. Rih Gaga and Taylor are a good measure above the others for overall points.

B-Dex

Jitters

The album got a name change, yes? Was it not called Daydreamin'???? Too much like the title of Mariah's Daydream?

I love the way she is dressed on the cover. Beautiful.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Mau ®;74050678 said:
Britney's LEAD single is coming in September, as per an instagram post by main album writer Jean Baptiste (it was later deleted...)

QMI2Nq5.png

Brittany vs. Katheryn vs. Joanne OMG!!

this is fake btw

ibhasiO5k79vdD.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I was referring to some of the comments here *coughCosmicBuscough*

Ooh. Interesting.

Though I don't get the hype for her. Why would a second rate Mariah knockoff be successful when the real deal can't even get hits anymore?

(I wouldn't be mad if she took off though. She has way better material than the other Disney Gurls so far.)

cory64

Got any links to the rest of her stuff? That track was great

What is happening at the beginning I don't understand
Why did a random track have Gods Aloud on it?

This video is some bargain basement stuff

Where IS MIA?

Annie and Gods Aloud share some producers.

botty

Banned
Ooh. Interesting.

Though I don't get the hype for her. Why would a second rate Mariah knockoff be successful when the real deal can't even get hits anymore?

(I wouldn't be mad if she took off though. She has way better material than the other Disney Gurls so far.)

You really think so? I think Selena and Demi have surprised a lot of people with their material. Selena's album wasn't as basic as I expected and Made In The USA is nice imo. Surprised it didn't smash harder.

You really think so? I think Selena and Demi have surprised a lot of people with their material. Selena's album wasn't as basic as I expected and Made In The USA is nice imo. Surprised it didn't smash harder.

I liked Heart Attack initially, same with CAGI, but both got stale fast for me. Demi's album was such a damn disaster that I never even purchased Selena's.

Miley I am reserving judgement on since I have started liking WCS in the last week.

Trigger

Ooh. Interesting.

Most of the hype is probably due to her being the most solid pop act to come out of the Nickelodeon camp. She's younger and more marketable than Mariah. I genuinely think there's a market for a safer pop girl who's not popping and shaking it like a $2 stripper. If she had more solid vocals she could take an Xtina-esque route with her career and juxtapose herself as the stronger vocalist compared to Demi/Miley/Selener.

Most of the hype is probably due to her being the most solid pop act to come out of the Nickelodeon camp. She's younger and more marketable than Mariah. I genuinely think there's a market for a safer pop girl who's not popping and shaking it like a $2 stripper. If she had more solid vocals she could take an Xtina-esque route with her career and juxtapose herself as the stronger vocalist compared to Demi/Miley/Selener.

Maybe a few years ago, but I really don't think there is a place for her in today's market which is trending more towards urban/alt influenced pop. We shall see.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This LIZ girl, I may have to stan, just the perfect mix of pop and r&b
ib1mZ0hAOFMtt.gif

Underdogs is particularly flawfree

In other news, not only does Rita Ora still exsist, she is the new face of DKNY

RITA-ORA-DKNY-X_2631676a.jpg
RITA-ORA-DKNY-X-2_2631675a.jpg

I'm baffled as to why they would choose her over the superior Cara Delevingne, but then I'm also baffled as to why she has a career in the first place

Matt_

In a world where Rihanna exists what is the appeal of Rita Ora?

Rita Ora is the answer to when a poor depressed father cannot afford Rihanna for a super sweet 16 and needs someone else

Rita is to Rihanna as Michelle and Kelly are to Beyonce

FjmG6Vb.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
lbzWITK.png

Birthday: A fun song. The burbling bass is a nice start. The chorus is extremely catchy, it’s what hooked me to the song. Most of the small phrases like “jazz it up” and “so yummy” are VILE. The vocal distortions are well implemented, even at the end when Selena’s voice is reduced to a squeak. It’s repetitive tho. 2.5/5

Slow Down: A nice dance song. Don’t very much like the generic guitar/production throughout the song because it reminds me of other songs, but I LOVE the dance break when Selener’s “o-o-o-o-o!” is extended. Overall pretty useable but why does Selener have to kill it at the end? 4/5

Stars Dance: One of the more unique songs. The production is very nice, very trip-hop mixed with a variety of light and hard synths. I like the way Selener pronounces the hook. The violins at the beginning/middle/end are expertly used. The whole astronomical theme gives the song a nice feeling. 5/5

Like A Champion: I CRINGE. RIHANNA REDUCTIVENESS. VILE. SKIP. GOODBYE. 0/5

Come & Get It: This song’s production is stellar. The Indian influenced chanting and drums are something rarely incorporated into American pop music. Selener’s “nananana” is what initially turned me off from the song, but, if I try to overlook it (even though it’s a major part of the song >_>) I think it's pretty good. 3.5/5

Forget Forever: OMG YAAASSS.

iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif

The buildup to the dance break is fucking excellent. Her voice matches the intensity of the beat right until the dance break punches you in the guT. I truly CANNOT at how this song has slayed me. Selena’s vocals have this light raspiness that fits well here. The song gives me sugary fair world dream land teas because of some of the instruments used (the bells?). 5/5

Save The Day: Another useable dance song. This song seems to meld electronic, dubstep, and latin influences pretty well. I think she tries to emulate Shakira at one point. Selener’s voice is nicely layered and there is once again a great dancebreak. 4/5

B.E.A.T.: “OH MY GOD THIS BEAT IS CRACK!” But not really. I just do not like Selener’s talking voice throughout most of the song nor the beat for that matter 1/5

Write Your Name: GN:WENgWJKENG YASSSSS.

iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif

The song’s instrumentals are soft. It’s kind of like a dream-pop song. The lyrics are just so simple and catchy and dreamy. Selener's voice is manipulated very well. Like in Forget Forever, the buildup to the dance break/chorus is sooo good. 5/5

Undercover: Hmmm. Selener's vocal shortcoming become very noticeable in this song. She tries going to these high notes that she just can't manage without the help of some studio manipulation. The notes sound so airy and empty. They sound good in WYN because they match its production, but in this song they struggle alone. I get some Die Young vibes through out the song (I think it’s the guitar). Some of the lyrics put me off: "sexy machine," "hollywood dream," and "got me feeling like a homecoming queen." In the end tho, I wouldn't skip. 3.5/5

Love Will Remember: Yawn. I guess this is Selener's attempt at a mid-tempo ballad. The beginning up until the chorus is the only semi-good part to this song. There's a piano and some chanting in the back that sound so generic. Skip-worthy. 1/5

Bonus Tracks

Nobody Does It Like You: Useable dance song #9. The weird little voices are neat; they give the song a nice touch. There’s some dubstep that I wish was a little more pronounced and unique during the dance break. The chorus is a bit too repetitive and anti-climactic. I like when the song slows down near the end (and at the end) when all you hear is a piano and Selener. 4/5

Music Feels Better: Useable dance song #10. Very nice instrumentals here. The lyrics are inoffensive, thank God. The pre-chorus is very good, and I love when, at the end of the chorus, Selener’s “YOU!” is echoed and extended. 5/5

Lover In Me: Useable dance song #11. Some more “Die Young” guitars. I LIIIIVEEE when Selener sings the line “And when I waken next to you / I know we're not the lonely people that we used to be, used to be.” It sounds so familiar to me. I think I heard something similar in techno song. It’s my favorite part of the song. The chorus is not as good, but it’s okay when the synth beat kicks in. 3/5

I Like It That Way: It’s alright, for a while. I like Selener’s high-pitched voice here. I don’t mind the basic playful school-girl lyricism either. The dance break, however, is too strong and overwhelming. 3/5

Stars Dance is, overall, a good dance album. Good job Selena. There are some messy songs that try to mix it up but end up failing (Like A Champion, B.E.A.T., and Love Will Remember), but the bonus track made up for them. She should have just filled this up to the brim with pure dance songs (keep Stars Dance, the song, tho). I hope I’ve used the right terminology in this review, rip.

iuvUczH50DaZ2.gif

Mumei

Ooh. Interesting.

Because she's decades younger.

If Mariah were 20 again and new, she'd probably be getting hits. Every big artist eventually reaches this point in their career, and outside of a resurgence in the mid-to-late 00s, that's basically where Mariah has been for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom