• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised "Stars Dance" (the song) is being paid utter dusT. That song is simply BEYOND

"B.E.A.T." is a vision of production mastery. "Write Your Name" sounds like a Fame-era Gaga panegyric. "Save The Day" is another pussy popper. JLo dance queen realness tbh

Stars Dance overall is meh, but every song has at least some unexpected twist to it. Very playful album that you hoes would be tripping over yourself to fellate if it had come from one of your prized Euro-hews.

fire-round-and-round-selena-gomez-ulgly-girl-Favim.com-231460.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
I doubt we're ever going to hear these unless they're for her next album. lol

Two of the Lana leaks were for sure for her next album, and the Ellie song was probably a Halcyon Days song at one point. The Lykke Li songs could very well be for her next album. She is coming *.*

Yado

The unintentional self-shade.

I don't do things unintentionally.

iSwo1YiVTbfKx.gif

Two of the Lana leaks were for sure for her next album, and the Ellie song was probably a Halcyon Days song at one point. The Lykke Li songs could very well be for her next album. She is coming *.*

I know she was in Jamaica working with Diplo for a while. I assumed it would be for his album but the tracks didn't make the final cut. Maybe they're for hers ^_^

idk. I felt like Christina put a lot of effort into Bionic.

lol

I meant the effort being put in to make singles that do well on radio, and putting effort into giving it the right promo and timing to do well. It's a pretty standard science that anyone can follow if they wanted to (and had the means to do it).

Christina put effort into Bionic insofar that she wanted it to sound a certain way and she made it so. I don't believe she had an intent to take over the world with Bionic or she would have made her songs more radio-unique and would have followed a conventional promo plan. She didn't, and it didn't take over the world.

The idea that a "hit" is automatically a better song than a track that isn't one.. that doesn't make any sense. There's an archetype for what works on radio and what doesn't, and it has nothing to do with quality so much as style.

Mau ®

Stars Dance overall is meh, but every song has at least some unexpected twist to it. Very playful album that you hoes would be tripping over yourself to fellate if it had come from one of your prized Euro-hews.

fire-round-and-round-selena-gomez-ulgly-girl-Favim.com-231460.gif

Basically. Although I wouldn't call it "meh". It's at least good IMO. I personally find it great.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It felt right
It felt right
But I fell down when I came down to the wire

Soon to be legends ;_;

It's my favorite of their songs so far.

My worry is -- much like with Charli XCX -- that so much stuff is out there and has been for a very long time, the album is going to consist mostly of "old" material and won't have the same spark that brand new songs would. We're probably looking at only 4-5 completely new songs in the end.

Mau ®

I don't believe she had an intent to take over the world with Bionic or she would have made her songs more radio-unique and would have followed a conventional promo plan. She didn't, and it didn't take over the world.

Stop with the lies. Half of Bionic was rush-recorded after Burlesque with B-list producers like Pollow because there wasnt a radio hit in there. "Not myself tonight" was made to be a hit.

And Bionic had VERY GOOD conventional promo. Oprah performance, Idol performance, a GMA segment, VH1 storytellers, a decent number of magazine covers that spread through her key demographics (gay, women, latinos).

Lotus was an example of SHIT PROMO all around. Bionic isn't.

Trigger

Mau ®;74137003 said:
Stop with the lies. Half of Bionic was rush-recorded after Burlesque with B-list producers like Pollow because there wasnt a radio hit in there. "Not myself tonight" was made to be a hit.

And Bionic had VERY GOOD conventional promo. Oprah performance, Idol performance, a GMA segment, VH1 storytellers, a decent number of magazine covers that spread through her key demographics (gay, women, latinos).

go iN

Yado

lol

I meant the effort being put in to make singles that do well on radio, and putting effort into giving it the right promo and timing to do well. It's a pretty standard science that anyone can follow if they wanted to (and had the means to do it).

A lot of artists get this treatment from their labels and fail anyway.

royalan

Mau ®;74137003 said:

And Bionic had VERY GOOD promo. Oprah performance, Idol performance, a GMA segment, VH1 storytellers, a decent number of magazine covers that spread through her key demographics (gay, women, latinos).

He's not lying, but neither are you.

RCA did make Christina rush-record a lot of what ended up on Bionic for the exact reason that you specified, but that's exactly where Christina jumped ship. Bionic was originally supposed to be a much more "experimental" and "low-key" album for Xtina. It was also supposed to be released a year earlier in 2009. But fucking RCA made her push the album into 2010 and re-record most of it to make it more commercial. The plan was to have it collide with Burlesque and have 2010 be "The Year of Xtina" or some shit. RCA wasn't content with Christina releasing a more subdued, Electronica-inspired album to little fanfare, so they butted in and in the process fucked everything up. Ladytron (who she collaborated with) spilled the tea here:

The way she played the album to me was her original vision. She was on the right track but the record label f**ked up everything, to be honest. All the good stuff got pumped into disc two. I think that if she would have done what she had in mind it would have been better. I also think that with what she had in mind she could have [sidestepped] all the kind of potential comparison with Lady GaGa which, you know, at the time it was that nightmare for her. She would have done it in the smart way and she would have been renowned now, but her record label instead wanted to put her against [GaGa].

The only problem with all of this is that Christina is famous for her 'tude. When RCA butted in on her project she wasn't having it, and Christina's disinterest in the album became palpable. She half-assed all the promo they had lined up and immediately pulled the plug right after. And all one has to do is look at what went down with Lotus to see that her relationship with RCA has not improved one. bit. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't split from them yet. So, in that sense, Soulscribe's right. Xtina's heart was not in Bionic. The album would have performed a lot better if it had been.

Mau ®

He's not lying, but neither are you.

RCA did make Christina rush-record a lot of what ended up on Bionic for the exact reason that you specified, but that's exactly where Christina jumped ship. Bionic was originally supposed to be a much more "experimental" and "low-key" album for Xtina. It was also supposed to be released a year earlier in 2009. But fucking RCA made her push the album into 2010 and re-record most of it to make it more commercial. The plan was to have it collide with Burlesque and have 2010 be "The Year of Xtina" or some shit. RCA wasn't content with Christina releasing a more subdued, Electronica-inspired album to little fanfare, so they butted in and in the process fucked everything up. Ladytron (who she collaborated with) spilled the tea here:

The only problem with all of this is that Christina is famous for her 'tude. When RCA butted in on her project she wasn't having it, and Christina's disinterest in the album became palpable. She half-assed all the promo they had lined up and immediately pulled the plug right after. And all one has to do is look at what went down with Lotus to see that her relationship with RCA has not improved one. bit. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't split from them yet. So, in that sense, Soulscribe's right. Xtina's heart was not in Bionic. The album would have performed a lot better if it were.

Yes, it is obvious she ain't into it.

I really liked the songs from Bionic from the original sessions and I am honestly pressed that many of them will never see the light. I was particularly super excited about the Goldfrapp track.

It would've been a such a fine pop album imo.

Styles

Stefan™;72699026 said:
RED Tour update:

Toronto, Ontario - Rogers Centre - 87,627 / 87,627 - $7,863,310
Winnipeg, Manitoba - Investors Group Field - 33,061 / 33,061 - $3,175,430
Edmonton, Alberta - Rexall Place - 25,663 / 25,663 - $2,379,870
Vancouver, British Columbia - BC Place Stadium - 41,142 / 41,142 - $3,974,410
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Heinz Field - 56,047 / 56,047 - $4,718,518
East Rutherford, New Jersey - Metlife Stadium - 52,399 / 52,399 - $4,670,011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Lincoln Financial Field - 101,277 / 101,277 - $8,822,335

Shows: 41/72
Attendance: 893,668
Gross: $76,740,478

RED Tour update:

Foxborough, Massachusetts - Gillette Stadium - 110,712 / 110,712 - $9,464,063

Shows: 43/72
Attendance: 1,004,380
Gross: $86,204,541

Slaying effortless.

i449PFdwXyU8q.gif

royalan

No, it's just that Christina was (and still is) so creatively bankrupt that not even M.I.A. and Switch could save her.

Stop.

I think you're confusing Xtina with Beyonce "why can't I just sing over Pon de Floor?" Knowles.

Funny thing is her tracks with MIA and Switch (Bionic and Elastic Love) are still my favorite from the album. They still sound fresh, too.

Yado

Excuse YOU?

Sia
Ladytron
MIA
Peaches
Goldfrapp

So you can have a seat with THAT mess.

Half of those artists are from hewsville for a reason. The others just don't mesh well with her sound. Like what was the point of her making music with MIA. Seriously.

Mumei

Mau ®;74112073 said:
Not with the recent songs she's released. Nope.

Madonna kept getting radio hits until her 45's too.

Well, wait. Your comments about her recent releases is true of Triumphant, but it isn't true of #Beautiful. It did reasonably well, and given that she is actually is a worse position than she was in 2005, a Top 20 hit is as good as anyone could have reasonably expected.

Mariah also has a rather negative relationship with radio; she started losing radio support around 1997, when she stopped getting major support from her label due to divorce shenanigans. She was only really getting #1s from 1997 - 2001 due to sales, not due to strong airplay, which is why she peaked high and then fell off a cliff afterwards. Outside of a brief resurgence during 2005 - 06, the goodwill of which also allowed TMB in 2007, it's largely been the same story. And even #Beautiful which was shaded for the sales numbers was actually doing better in sales numbers than it did in radio support, in spite of the Clear Channel deal.

And yes, there are occasionally women who have hits in their 40s and 50s, but they are one-offs, exceptions, and they never represent sustained radio success. Radio is ageist, and examples like Cher or Madonna are simply exceptions that prove the rule.

Leona: She would be doing better with early-90s era Columbia Records A&R, sure. But I still think she's simply reached that point in her career where she could get a hit, but I can't see an era where she has multiple high-charting singles, and it has to do with how radio perceives her as much as it does the songs she might release.

DMeisterJ

Banned
JoJo wants to be let go.

The tween sensation is suing the record label that made her famous, saying they have no hold on her now that her seven years of service are up.

Joanna Noelle Blagden Levesque says in a lawsuit against Da Family Records and Blackground Records that under New York State law, minors cannot sign contracts that last more than seven years.

JoJo, now 22, and her parents signed a contract with company subsidiaries in 2004 when she was 12 and has sold 5 million records. Therefore, she argues, her contract was up in March 2011.

Universal Music, which distributes JoJo’s recordings, did not return calls seeking comment.​

New York Daily Mail

I know some of you stan, so here you go. I still don't 100% understand the situation she's in, but I'm glad she's trying to break free of it I guess.

Jojo ;_;

Andre just re punched me out of the game a few days ago. A certified bop.

botty

Banned
Half of those artists are from hewsville for a reason. The others just don't mesh well with her sound. Like what was the point of her making music with MIA. Seriously.

A good producer should be versatile and be able to work with the artist to make a good sound no matter what. Or else they are just taking a risk of damaging their own reputation.

Anyway, I am not really here for Sia anymore, and Xtina needs to speed dial Linda asap.

xtina17.gif

royalan

Hey, Elastic Love is a Bop.

Anyway, listen to My Girls. The point of Christina working with these hews was that she wanted to work with the baddest bitches in the industry. Bionic was aiming to be the ultimate girl power album.

sex for breakfast was actually a certified jam.

And that's rub. As much as I want to hate RCA for fucking with Xtina's vision, a lot of the tracks weren't bad. Sex for Breakfast is perfect Neo Soul sexy. And I'm almost certain Xtina wouldn't have reached out to Sia if the label hadn't pressured her for more ballads.
A good producer should be versatile and be able to work with the artist to make a good sound no matter what. Or else they are just taking a risk of damaging their own reputation.

Anyway, I am not really here for Sia anymore, and Xtina needs to speed dial Linda asap.

xtina17.gif

Is Linda still working?

Trigger

Stefan™;74140543 said:
RED Tour update:

Foxborough, Massachusetts - Gillette Stadium - 110,712 / 110,712 - $9,464,063

Shows: 43/72
Attendance: 1,004,380
Gross: $86,204,541

Slaying effortless.

Get money Taylord.

gIXNC.gif

royalan

I c that the last thing she did was an Ariana Grande song in 2011.

I'm sure she is just waiting for the call.

g19.gif

Ew...she's responsible for that vile Put Your Hearts Up??? Bleh, she's wasting away.

But honestly, if we could get Xtina to work with a previous producer again, I would love for it to be Dj Premier. I don't think any one producer went into the studio with Xtina and just GOT her like he did.

Linda Perry knows how to bring out Passionatina.

Sia knows how to bring out Vulnerabilitina.

Scott Storch knows how to bring out Xtina.

But so far only Dj Premier knew how to bring out all of those different sides of Xtina and put them together in a cohesive body of tracks. Disc 1 of BtB is just immaculate. ;___;

In around 10 minutes, August will arrive.

One small step to ARTPOP, one giant leap to Applause.

I'm so perched.

Jojo ;_;

Andre just re punched me out of the game a few days ago. A certified bop.
You best stan.

Hopefully, she wins and can own her own voice again. She needs to release a new album.

botty

Banned
Aww, why? She's so great.

She's been tainted, tbh. Working with just about anything...

Ew...she's responsible for that vile Put Your Hearts Up??? Bleh, she's wasting away.

But honestly, if we could get Xtina to work with a previous producer again, I would love for it to be Dj Premier. I don't think any one producer went into the studio with Xtina and just GOT her like he did.

Linda Perry knows how to bring out Passionatina.

Sia knows how to bring out Vulnerabilitina.

Scott Storch knows how to bring out Xtina.

But so far only Dj Premier knew how to bring out all of those different sides of Xtina and put them together in a cohesive body of tracks. Disc 1 of BtB is just immaculate. ;___;

You didn't lie. "I Am.." and "Lift Me Up" are both really similar songs, but the whole passion versus vulnerability is clear and distinct. I need them both...I guess.

I still want to hear whatever urban smash DarkChild and Xtina made, but never found its way onto lotus.

Because she's decades younger.

If Mariah were 20 again and new, she'd probably be getting hits. Every big artist eventually reaches this point in their career, and outside of a resurgence in the mid-to-late 00s, that's basically where Mariah has been for awhile.

I don't really agree, and the fact that Ariana's single peaked at just about the same position airplay wise as #Beautiful, as well as having similar sales, makes me think that the public is simply not there for the sound.

royalan

Gaga is in the studio with Adam Bravin. I don't know who that is tbh

Wikipedia tea:

Bravin, also known as DJ Adam 12,[2] plays bass guitar, keyboards, guitar, drum machine, and percussion, in addition to programming and vocals as well as video production. As of 2012, he is the personal DJ of U.S. President Barack Obama.[3]

EDIT: Beaten.

And yeah, that's a good question. WHY does Obama have a DJ?

royalan

Apparently, he's also in a band called She Wants Revenge.

Here's their last single from 2011, to get an idea of what his sound is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJVeOiC-wc

Wow...I am HERE for this. Very 90's.
giving me Madonna Erotica teas, tbh

Kinda reminds me of the song that plays inside Club Afterlife on Omega in Mass Effect 2.

Trigger

I imagine the DJ is for presidential events. I'm sure someone has to be in charge of the music being played at those things.

Nemesis_

Apparently, he's also in a band called She Wants Revenge.

Here's their last single from 2011, to get an idea of what his sound is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJVeOiC-wc

Wow...I am HERE for this. Very 90's.
giving me Madonna Erotica teas, tbh

Kinda reminds me of the song that plays inside Club Afterlife on Omega in Mass Effect 2.

Yeah it's a mix of Callista from Mass Effect and Justify My Love to me. It sounds rather nice too, if he is actually working on ARTPOP then I am pretty excited.

Anyway here's the photo

970440_10151842664814574_1482823160_n.jpg

DJWS serving up homeless santa claus realness

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Studios always seems so dimly lit and moody
Gaga looks good as per

Bladenic

It's my favorite of their songs so far.

My worry is -- much like with Charli XCX -- that so much stuff is out there and has been for a very long time, the album is going to consist mostly of "old" material and won't have the same spark that brand new songs would. We're probably looking at only 4-5 completely new songs in the end.

I hope you're wrong tbh, I want an album full of new songs. Still, if those 4-5 new ones are as good as The Wire I wouldn't mind that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom