• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
Forget Forever: OMG YAAASSS.

The buildup to the dance break is fucking excellent. Her voice matches the intensity of the beat right until the dance break punches you in the guT. I truly CANNOT at how this song has slayed me. Selena’s vocals have this light raspiness that fits well here. The song gives me sugary fair world dream land teas because of some of the instruments used (the bells?). 5/5

Write Your Name: GN:WENgWJKENG YASSSSS.

The song’s instrumentals are soft. It’s kind of like a dream-pop song. The lyrics are just so simple and catchy and dreamy. Selener's voice is manipulated very well. Like in Forget Forever, the buildup to the dance break/chorus is sooo good. 5/5

iPYB5nxdrQ1MU.gif

yassssss sis these two are [A M A Z I N G]

Trigger

I'm happy to see a review. I missed them. *.*

Aguila said:
Birthday: A fun song. The burbling bass is a nice start. The chorus is extremely catchy, it’s what hooked me to the song. Most of the small phrases like “jazz it up” and “so yummy” are VILE. The vocal distortions are well implemented, even at the end when Selena’s voice is reduced to a squeak. It’s repetitive tho. 2.5/5

Noooo

I love how cheesy and fun those parts are.

SaintZ

I listened to Selener's album but it is really forgettable and (IMO) shows how weak Selena is as a singer.

Forget Forever sounds like a The Corrs song. And I actually like Like a Champion because it reminds me of Rihanna lmao.

Aguila

#ICONIC
yassssss sis these two are [A M A Z I N G]

I knooooow. I didn't expect such slayage from this gurl.

I'm happy to see a review. I missed them. *.*

Me too. I still want to do one for Born To Die, and I think I'll do one for Halcyon Days.

And I actually like Like a Champion because it reminds me of Rihanna lmao.

sis...
ibs3C7o5qFIVud.gif

I'm thinking about deleting it and I never delete album songs.

Nicely done, Aguila. *.*

I enjoy birthday.

Thanks *.*

Do I still get a star? *.*

Because she's decades younger.

If Mariah were 20 again and new, she'd probably be getting hits. Every big artist eventually reaches this point in their career, and outside of a resurgence in the mid-to-late 00s, that's basically where Mariah has been for awhile.

Teach the chirren Mu.

Touchdown

Banned
Ooh. Interesting.

Though I don't get the hype for her. Why would a second rate Mariah knockoff be successful when the real deal can't even get hits anymore?

(I wouldn't be mad if she took off though. She has way better material than the other Disney Gurls so far.)

Mariah's last single peaked at 15 on the billboard hot 100. That's not bad. For mariah I would consider that a semi hit. Also Mariah really hasn't "tried" to get hits in a while. #Beautiful was the the first song in a loooong time that she actually cared to push for. (And Yay for it just going platinum! :) )

In related news.. Mariah just posted this to Instagram.
67d90ee8.gif

0729-workingonsong-instagram_.jpg

Working on one of my favorite songs right now.. :)

cory64

Mau ®;74112073 said:
Not with the recent songs she's released. Nope.

Madonna kept getting radio hits until her 45's too.
Madonna, the incomprehensible POWER. Only Rih could surpass her longevity.

Trigger

Mau ®;74112073 said:
Not with the recent songs she's released. Nope.

Madonna kept getting radio hits until her 45's too.

IDK, MDNA was pretty floppy. I think even Madge has reached that point now.

3phemeral

Mariah's last single peaked at 15 on the billboard hot 100. That's not bad. For mariah I would consider that a semi hit. Also Mariah really hasn't "tried" to get hits in a while. #Beautiful was the the first song in a loooong time that she actually cared to push for. (And Yay for it just going platinum! :) )

In related news.. Mariah just posted this to Instagram.
67d90ee8.gif

0729-workingonsong-instagram_.jpg
I'm gonna need to hear this album soon.

Artemisia

Banned
lbzWITK.png

Birthday: A fun song. The burbling bass is a nice start. The chorus is extremely catchy, it’s what hooked me to the song. Most of the small phrases like “jazz it up” and “so yummy” are VILE. The vocal distortions are well implemented, even at the end when Selena’s voice is reduced to a squeak. It’s repetitive tho. 2.5/5

Slow Down: A nice dance song. Don’t very much like the generic guitar/production throughout the song because it reminds me of other songs, but I LOVE the dance break when Selener’s “o-o-o-o-o!” is extended. Overall pretty useable but why does Selener have to kill it at the end? 4/5

Stars Dance: One of the more unique songs. The production is very nice, very trip-hop mixed with a variety of light and hard synths. I like the way Selener pronounces the hook. The violins at the beginning/middle/end are expertly used. The whole astronomical theme gives the song a nice feeling. 5/5

Like A Champion: I CRINGE. RIHANNA REDUCTIVENESS. VILE. SKIP. GOODBYE. 0/5

Come & Get It: This song’s production is stellar. The Indian influenced chanting and drums are something rarely incorporated into American pop music. Selener’s “nananana” is what initially turned me off from the song, but, if I try to overlook it (even though it’s a major part of the song >_>) I think it's pretty good. 3.5/5

Forget Forever: OMG YAAASSS.

iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif

The buildup to the dance break is fucking excellent. Her voice matches the intensity of the beat right until the dance break punches you in the guT. I truly CANNOT at how this song has slayed me. Selena’s vocals have this light raspiness that fits well here. The song gives me sugary fair world dream land teas because of some of the instruments used (the bells?). 5/5

Save The Day: Another useable dance song. This song seems to meld electronic, dubstep, and latin influences pretty well. I think she tries to emulate Shakira at one point. Selener’s voice is nicely layered and there is once again a great dancebreak. 4/5

B.E.A.T.: “OH MY GOD THIS BEAT IS CRACK!” But not really. I just do not like Selener’s talking voice throughout most of the song nor the beat for that matter 1/5

Write Your Name: GN:WENgWJKENG YASSSSS.

iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif
iOZKGStwgMzHe.gif

The song’s instrumentals are soft. It’s kind of like a dream-pop song. The lyrics are just so simple and catchy and dreamy. Selener's voice is manipulated very well. Like in Forget Forever, the buildup to the dance break/chorus is sooo good. 5/5

Undercover: Hmmm. Selener's vocal shortcoming become very noticeable in this song. She tries going to these high notes that she just can't manage without the help of some studio manipulation. The notes sound so airy and empty. They sound good in WYN because they match its production, but in this song they struggle alone. I get some Die Young vibes through out the song (I think it’s the guitar). Some of the lyrics put me off: "sexy machine," "hollywood dream," and "got me feeling like a homecoming queen." In the end tho, I wouldn't skip. 3.5/5

Love Will Remember: Yawn. I guess this is Selener's attempt at a mid-tempo ballad. The beginning up until the chorus is the only semi-good part to this song. There's a piano and some chanting in the back that sound so generic. Skip-worthy. 1/5

Bonus Tracks

Nobody Does It Like You: Useable dance song #9. The weird little voices are neat; they give the song a nice touch. There’s some dubstep that I wish was a little more pronounced and unique during the dance break. The chorus is a bit too repetitive and anti-climactic. I like when the song slows down near the end (and at the end) when all you hear is a piano and Selener. 4/5

Music Feels Better: Useable dance song #10. Very nice instrumentals here. The lyrics are inoffensive, thank God. The pre-chorus is very good, and I love when, at the end of the chorus, Selener’s “YOU!” is echoed and extended. 5/5

Lover In Me: Useable dance song #11. Some more “Die Young” guitars. I LIIIIVEEE when Selener sings the line “And when I waken next to you / I know we're not the lonely people that we used to be, used to be.” It sounds so familiar to me. I think I heard something similar in techno song. It’s my favorite part of the song. The chorus is not as good, but it’s okay when the synth beat kicks in. 4/5

I Like It That Way: It’s alright, for a while. I like Selener’s high-pitched voice here. I don’t mind the basic playful school-girl lyricism either. The dance break, however, is too strong and overwhelming. 3/5

Stars Dance is, overall, a good dance album. Good job Selena. There are some messy songs that try to mix it up but end up failing (Like A Champion, B.E.A.T., and Love Will Remember), but the bonus track made up for them. She should have just filled this up to the brim with pure dance songs (keep Stars Dance, the song, tho). I hope I’ve used the right terminology in this review, rip.

iuvUczH50DaZ2.gif

I almost don't want to give you a star for this, sis.

I'm not at my computer now, I'll give you a star soon *.*

Yado

Eh, she's pretty washed up now. And weren't her album sales inflated cause of her tour?

Hard Candy & MDNA just seem like albums she shat out for new tour material. Confessions gives me hope that she's not creatively bankrupt.

Eh, she's pretty washed up now. And weren't her album sales inflated cause of her tour?
Couple "flop" albums make you washed up now?
ibf4ObGsUIr3Yg.gif

Maybe she she should start doing features now. Maybe she'll increase her cultural relevance that way.
iXiqF90Lgsk5z.gif

Oooh, I know... A talent show!
iDqdzPMzh9oAk.gif

botty

Banned
Couple "flop" albums make you washed up now?
Maybe she she should start doing features now. Maybe she'll increase her cultural relevance that way.
Oooh, I know... A talent show!

Maybe she should... then people might actually buy a song with her name on it.

Or she could just stick to referencing the performer who replaced her during her tour.

Hard Candy & MDNA just seem like albums she shat out for new tour material. Confessions gives me hope that she's not creatively bankrupt.

The white lil kim just needs to find inspiration.

Maybe she should... then people might actually buy a song with her name on it.
Did you want to compare Lotus and MDNA numbers?
In the United States, Lotus debuted at number seven on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 73,408 units....
As of January 2013, the album has sold over 220,000 units and 687,000 tracks in United States...

The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 with 359,000 copies sold in the United States, making it her biggest opening week sales since Music (2000). It became Madonna's eighth chart-topper and her fifth consecutive studio album to debut at number one. The album's sales were aided by Madonna's tour audience, who had option to get the album as part of their ticket purchase...
As of December 2012, it has sold 521,000 copies in the US ...
As of December 2012, MDNA had sold 1.8 million copies worldwide...
Or she could just stick to referencing the performer who replaced her during her tour.

This is a nice, republican-ish soundbite.
iTz7vMKz2uQTo.gif

Let's at least see if she can maintain sales on her THIRD album before we announce that she's replaced anyone. LG and her fans should concern themselves with why she looks like the faces of meth and hope she doesn't join the 27 Club.

The white lil kim just needs to find inspiration.
Let's not give Lil Kim too much.

royalan

You can have my body
You can have my money
You can have my soul
If you want it, too

0qq5Zwz.gif

Ain't nobody gonna get in my way
I'm gonna make it, no matter what you say
I'm flying by you better stay in your lane
So tonight ain't nobody gonna get in my way!

CbVfVwz.gif

Ummm...so far I'm failing to see what's wrong with this album. I'm LOVING this particular song. Such an early 90s feel-good bop. I feel like Montell Jordan would have recorded this song.

botty

Banned
Did you want to compare Lotus and MDNA numbers?

I was talking about her lack of having longevity on the charts with a song, hence me not saying album. This is something the Legend, features and all, didn't have a problem with.

This is a nice, republican-ish soundbite.
iTz7vMKz2uQTo.gif

Let's at least see if she can maintain sales on her THIRD album before we announce that she's replaced anyone. LG and her fans should concern themselves with why she looks like the faces of meth and hope she doesn't join the 27 Club..

Not too offensive now.

izU8rqhqJHp7v.gif

Nemesis_

JoJo wants to be let go.

The tween sensation is suing the record label that made her famous, saying they have no hold on her now that her seven years of service are up.

Joanna Noelle Blagden Levesque says in a lawsuit against Da Family Records and Blackground Records that under New York State law, minors cannot sign contracts that last more than seven years.

JoJo, now 22, and her parents signed a contract with company subsidiaries in 2004 when she was 12 and has sold 5 million records. Therefore, she argues, her contract was up in March 2011.

Universal Music, which distributes JoJo’s recordings, did not return calls seeking comment.​

New York Daily Mail

I know some of you stan, so here you go. I still don't 100% understand the situation she's in, but I'm glad she's trying to break free of it I guess.

JoJo wants to be let go.

The tween sensation is suing the record label that made her famous, saying they have no hold on her now that her seven years of service are up.

Joanna Noelle Blagden Levesque says in a lawsuit against Da Family Records and Blackground Records that under New York State law, minors cannot sign contracts that last more than seven years.

JoJo, now 22, and her parents signed a contract with company subsidiaries in 2004 when she was 12 and has sold 5 million records. Therefore, she argues, her contract was up in March 2011.

Universal Music, which distributes JoJo’s recordings, did not return calls seeking comment.​

New York Daily Mail

I know some of you stan, so here you go. I still don't 100% understand the situation she's in, but I'm glad she's trying to break free of it I guess.

Hopefully she'll deliver more gems like Agape.

Aguila

#ICONIC
So Rick Nowels site was hacked. It's the reason those amazing Lana songs leaked and that one Ellie song too. Apparently his site also had 4 Lykke Li songs:

Gun Shot
Burning Bridges
Feel The Bleed
Heavenly Lies

Does Yado know of these??? *0*

royalan

JoJo wants to be let go.

New York Daily Mail

This is what I don't get.

Blackground clearly has no real desire to back an actual album for JoJo, so why NOT just let her off her contract?

Silly...

Yado

So Rick Nowels site was hacked. It's the reason those amazing Lana songs leaked and that one Ellie song too. Apparently his site also had 4 Lykke Li songs:

Gun Shot
Burning Bridges
Feel The Bleed
Heavenly Lies

Does Yado know of these??? *0*

Wait what!!??

Yado

I don't know, I heard Beyonce put a lot of work into 4, too. Adding runs to pre-written songs...must be a lot of hard work. Thank god it slayed the charts...

...& still slaying years later on her successful greatest hits tour. 4's power.

I guess you don't know lol

Nobody got to them apparently so we'll just have to wait and see if she releases them someday...

I doubt we're ever going to hear these unless they're for her next album. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom