• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

I can't figure out how to look at charts from previous weeks, but here's the one for this week.. (I read that it sold 17k more than last week)

RIP at being second to Rihanus tho

----
It's actually really interesting to see what songs they're buying. Like, 4000+ Koreans in a given week just bought Tamia's "Officially Missing You"? "If I Ain't Got You"? Crazy.

Kyon

Banned
601358_559439007453328_81183807_n.jpg

wow

It certainly is still fishy and convenient that Blurred Vile Lines was deleted off itunes. Interscope shady business tactics as per. So I cant blame them.

Aguila

#ICONIC
130803-Lana-Del-Rey-Lollapalooza07.jpg

If the multitudes of pre-fab flower crowns adorning girls' heads at Lolla did not tip you off in advance, the screaming, teeming LDR masses — the only thing that could blot out the industrial thunder of nearby NIN — made it good and clear: young female America stans for Lana. The polarizing pop ingénue took the stage looking like vintage Cher in a flowing, blood red gown with golden bodice and nearly black hair, looking very Bob Mackie-does-Grecian-goddess. Screams. A few songs in she told her band, "Lets do 'Blue Jeans,'" Screams. Fortunately, the flower crown ladies knew every single sigh and sang along, loudly, with LDR occasionally ceding a line to her rapt fans — which almost made up for how quiet and thin the sound was during her set. In the last year, her command of her voice has finally caught up to her ambition and star power — the delicacy of her baroque, operatic flourishes were in stark relief against the maniacal grunting of Trent Reznor, which punctured those swelling strings and sighs of longing from three blocks away. J.H.
x

After some shaky performances in early 2012 in the U.S., Del Rey has spent much of the past year touring overseas. She's has clearly worked on her presentation, as evidenced by the high, clear operatic wail on "Blue Jeans," and her confidence working the stage. She's still channeling that "Great Gatsby"-era fragile socialite vibe, but the combination of home movies and sepia-toned stock footage playing behind her and the string section beefing up tragic love songs like "Young and Beautiful" gave her set a cohesive vibe.
Fittingly, "Beautiful," from the recent remake of "The Great Gatsby," has turned into a kind of empowerment anthem for some of Del Rey's rabid young female admirers. "Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful," many of them sang, their fists held high in the air. As a bonus, it also provoked a lot of reassuring hugs and some deep kisses from their boyfriends and girlfriends.
x

And her first two million update:
LANA DEL REY - Summertime Sadness: 29.734 (+ 2.037)

YAS AMERICA
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif

botty

Banned
Has anyone posted about this girl:

Ha stage name is Lorde and she is just 16 years old :O

Her song, Royal, is doing well on US iTunes. Production wise, the song is pretty simple, but it's her voice that really captures you anyway *.*

LISTEN TO ROYAL

Woah that's young.

I've seen people use gifs of her. Is she like a pop/rapper?

edit: Tennis Court's production is slaying me!

royalan

I posted about her almost two months ago.

Her song Royal was a momentary Bop for me.

Had no idea she was 16 though. Whoa...

Icicle

I don't believe I posted this when it happened, but in June Brandy signed with Creative Artists Agency.

Do any of you gorls have an opinion of them? A lot of your faves are signed to them too.

Clients Include said:
Christina Aguilera
Mariah Carey
Kelly Clarkson
Miley Cyrus
Faith Hill
Shakira
Justin Timberlake
Kanye West

I hope her new management will ensure that she returns to "Never Say Never"-relevance with her next era.

Touchdown

Banned
Yeah I believe Roy linked a youtube vid of Lorde a while back. I watched it, she seems a little dark and dreary for her age. :/ If this was the 90's , she'd be huge.

botty

Banned
Yeah I believe Roy linked a youtube vid of Lorde a while back. I watched it, she seems a little dark and dreary for her age. :/ If this was the 90's , she'd be huge.

dark and dreary is making a come back tbh. It usually coincides with urban, which is also making a come back. Katy will lead the pack.

Aguila

#ICONIC

Yeah, and she even writes all of her music *.*
What must she go through to write such thoughtful music tbh

We can thank NZ for Kimbrallah and now LORDe

botty

Banned
A 34-minute megamix? I think they might be taking mega too literally.

x_x

I figured no one would care except for Roy....and maybe soulscribe xoxo

iQ7ckFhYRrx1S.gif

could have had better mixing/quality

I'm going to need someone to explain this whole "mixing" stuff to me. I see it thrown around a lot, but I am not exactly sure what it means. I know Koodo uses it to shade Halcyon often.

cory64

I'm going to need someone to explain this whole "mixing" stuff to me. I see it thrown around a lot, but I am not exactly sure what it means. I know Koodo uses it to shade Halcyon often.
It's just something you notice once you switch away from $5 earbuds, Halcyon is over-mixed for radio, Blackout is over-mixed for the club, etc. IMO the most consistent pop girl for mixing/mastering is Janet Jackson (the albums you'd want to listen to anyway). Mariah too (well, Music Box is a bit bright).

botty

Banned
It's just something you notice once you switch away from $5 earbuds, Halcyon is over-mixed for radio, Blackout is over-mixed for the club, etc. IMO the most consistent pop girl for mixing/mastering is Janet Jackson (the albums you'd want to listen to anyway).

I understand that it effects the quality of the audio, but does it have something to do with the different layers of the song?

edit: oh and some applause lyrics:

Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 14m
i stand here waiting
for you to bang the gong
to crash the critic saying:
is it right or is it wrong?

cory64

I understand that it effects the quality of the audio, but does it have something to do with the different layers of the song?

Yes. Mixing is how the different layers are composed, mastering is the overall final layer of polish to the audio.

Aguila

#ICONIC
It's just something you notice once you switch away from $5 earbuds, Halcyon is over-mixed for radio, Blackout is over-mixed for the club, etc. IMO the most consistent pop girl for mixing/mastering is Janet Jackson (the albums you'd want to listen to anyway). Mariah too (well, Music Box is a bit bright).

But wait. What is the difference between something that is over-mixed for radio and over-mixed for the club?

cory64

Was Mariah ever more flawless than she was in the Honey video? That needs to go up in HD so I can... uh...

edit: radio sound is more high frequency sounds and close layers with vocals pushed far to the front, club sound is more distorted. most modern (late 90s-present) pop albums sound like complete shit tbh (even adele!).

botty:
well-mixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbS8kO-TVZ8
poorly-mixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jECvDi8NY
One fills a room naturally, the other is more like a concentrated wall of sound.

if you want to compare the current top 10:
good: blurred lines
bad: radioactive

botty

Banned
Was Mariah ever more flawless than she was in the Honey video? That needs to go up in HD so I can... uh...

edit: radio sound is more high frequency sounds and close layers with vocals pushed far to the front, club sound is more distorted. most modern (late 90s-present) pop albums sound like complete shit tbh (even adele!).

botty:
well-mixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbS8kO-TVZ8
poorly-mixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jECvDi8NY
One fills a room naturally, the other is more like a concentrated wall of sound.

:massiveyeroll:

So excited for Applause (even though the lyrics I've seen so far have been awful... my girl isn't the best writer but she makes the lyrics work for her), so I've already constructed an ARTPOP diorama of contentious POP GAF opinions that we can expect on Monday morning, August 19th:

Nemesis: "It hasn't clicked with me yet, love the ____ portion, let me listen to it again"

Marius: "Ya'll aren't getting the point of that part, it was evidently changed last minute, according to this guy on Twitter"

Koodo: "SLAY MY QUEEEENNNN"

Kyon: "What is this nonsense"

Robido: "lol. Two years you waited for this?'

Botty: "Surprisingly like it. Whatever."

Royalan: "Ugh, cannot BELIEVE how BUSTED and MESSY this is. She needs to get back to the WAY THINGS WERE"

Aguila: "Yeah it's not what I expected but it'll probably get better on repeated listens"

Trigger: "I like it ^_^"

Excited to see how this post holds up in two weeks... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom