• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

nnnnnnn

I C that Katy gif disappeared.

0lVImRD.gif

I love Christina Aguilera.

There is shade here. I know it.

Yado

The London Mermaid Ball mixtape though
1. Kevin JZ Prodigy feat. Thumbalina Mizza - Do You Munch On Bird
2. Shystie feat. Azealia Banks - Control it
3. Prince Club - Love Jackson
4. Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman
5. Nils Nurenberg - Caught In A Glimpse
6. Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You
7. Redlight - Lost In Your Love
8. Drums Of Death - Let No Shadow Fall Upon You
9. Nick Hook - On Y Va
10. Azealia Banks feat. Shystie - Neptune
11. Machinedrum - Carry The Weight (Bok Bok Remix)
12. Zebra Kats & Boyfriend - W8wtf
13. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Garden
14. Disclosure - Tenderly (+Tom Wrecks Remix)
15. Obey The City - Neva knew (Baauer Remix)
16. Machinedrum - Gbye
17. TNGHT - Higher
18. Nick Hook with Computer Jay & Gaslamp killer - Fish Food
19. Jeremiah - Fuck U All The Time (Schlohmo Remix)

iPZVjWgoA7U5U.gif

royalan

I'm not really into performance art, honestly. It shouldn't surprise you!

If it makes you feel better, I only knew who Marina Abromavic was thanks to an episode of Sex and the City. :/

Still doesn't mean Gaga hasn't jumped the shark, though...

3phemeral

Huh, I missed out on some Gaga fun. That video was deleted. Oh well.

[edit] Never mind. Found it. Watching it now.

I don't mind these high performance art appearances. It's not directly related to her album, but it is getting her name cycled through the media fairly quickly. So long as the bulk of her album promotion isn't closely related to this, she should be fine. She's been tampering with these sort of obscure concepts really since Born This Way and provided she can convincingly tie it together with her work, there shouldn't be an issue. Given that, performance art like this is usually laughed at by the general public, so it'll be an interesting to see how she processes these concepts for more mass-consumption use.

Good thing is that she's at least allowing herself to collaborate with professional artists. I only worry about the whether she can take some of these ideas and make them more palatable for her own projects.

Your attempt to dismiss what you know I'm going to say before I say it doesn't change the fact that I'm right.

The Fame era Gaga wasn't regular, predictable or generic. And no, you couldn't define her. That was the entire reason why Gaga took off the way she did. She fit no mold. She was her own creation (minus some Grace Jones references). You desperate stans are just retroactively declaring Debut Gaga basic and generic because that Gaga also knew how to craft a hit and held the world's attention in her clenched fist. But the world saw saw her as anything BUT basic and generic at the time

Bull. Gaga was her own creation during The Fame? Really? An era whose entire look was DIRECTLY lifted from Bowie, Kerli Koiv, Madonna and Grace Jones, and whose entire sound was DIRECTLY lifted from conventional radio trends? Are we REALLY going to go there?

What Gaga showed me with The Fame was that she knew how to eat shit and write a hit for radio to make money. She wanted to make an album that sold singles so that her record company took her seriously. Not because she had a grand unique vision or had found some sort of innate creative brilliance. She was at her most CREATIVELY BANKRUPT during The Fame, which was exactly WHY it was as radio successful as it was. Lord and behold, when you suck up to radio, you get on radio. No, she wasn't innocently lifted to superstardom by just being herself. It was a calculated business approach to get certifications and mainstream popularity, and by doing so she lifted looks and sounds from slightly more dated references so as to look authentic. Except she wasn't.

And NONE of ya'll decided that she WAS authentic at that time until you realized that Gaga's REAL sound is NOT radio friendly, or to your liking. She's not Britney, or Katy, or Rihanna. She's pop niche at her core and because of it, The Fame will never happen again. She'll flex and stretch to make a song as radio friendly as possible because she has a certain responsibility to the fame to get hits, but when she's at her more "her," that doesn't come that easy.

Gaga's lifted VERY few references from others during Born This Way. That was more her than any era before it, and people are bothered by the fact that when Gaga has all the creative freedom and money in the world to pull out her vision, it's not what they like. And taking that out on her is silly. Just face the fact that she is, at her core, a very different artist than she made it seem when her career started. Poker Face ain't happening again.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I thnk most of the attention she'll get for these art things is from her super fans going 'omg, so cool' just because it's her, not because they're actually interested. I do kind of find her IDGAF attitude with everything kinda entertaining, though.

I still think she could shit out some pop megahit in her sleep at any time, but I don't think she's really interested in doing that. I still find her more recent work far, far more interesting than her earlier stuff.

Ollie Pooch

So turns out Burqa/Aura is not a Madeon track but is basically just a reworked Infected Mushroom song? Someone posted in that art thread the link to basically the exact track playing live. Hm.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So turns out Burqa/Aura is not a Madeon track but is basically just a reworked Infected Mushroom song? Someone posted in that art thread the link to basically the exact track playing live. Hm.

You mean the instrumental? It was posted here as well, its a demo after all so they could have just (Heavily) sampled it to have a direction of how it should sound

Mumei

'scribe, have you heard this? It's a mic feed of the Dreamgirls medley at the Oscars from a few years back. When Bey comes in and slays JHud's life at 1:12. That's how you resonate. <3

Ollie Pooch

You mean the instrumental? It was posted here as well, its a demo after all so they could have just (Heavily) sampled it to have a direction of how it should sound
Ah missed that, figured as much. Still, was pretty floored by how it sounded. Weird to think I could have heard it easily already ;)

Aguila

#ICONIC
wait

Jennifer Lopez made 3 hit/semi-hit songs, all 3 with RedOne, and all 3 with Pitbull.

Her desperateness for hit songs.
09954248.gif
Get money I guess.
09954248.gif

----

For those people who want Fame Gaga back, do ya'll want her to work with RedOne again? His sound is pretty dated (now) imo

Artemisia

Banned
For those people who want Fame Gaga back, do ya'll want her to work with RedOne again? His sound is pretty dated imo

Gaga has a hand in the production of all of her songs, so the RedOne sound that you hear in other work he's done isn't really present in the work he does with Gaga.

Ahasverus

Bull. Gaga was her own creation during The Fame? Really? An era whose entire look was DIRECTLY lifted from Bowie, Kerli Koiv, Madonna and Grace Jones, and whose entire sound was DIRECTLY lifted from conventional radio trends? Are we REALLY going to go there?

What Gaga showed me with The Fame was that she knew how to eat shit and write a hit for radio to make money. She wanted to make an album that sold singles so that her record company took her seriously. Not because she had a grand unique vision or had found some sort of innate creative brilliance. She was at her most CREATIVELY BANKRUPT during The Fame, which was exactly WHY it was as radio successful as it was. Lord and behold, when you suck up to radio, you get on radio. No, she wasn't innocently lifted to superstardom by just being herself. It was a calculated business approach to get certifications and mainstream popularity, and by doing so she lifted looks and sounds from slightly more dated references so as to look authentic. Except she wasn't.

And NONE of ya'll decided that she WAS authentic at that time until you realized that Gaga's REAL sound is NOT radio friendly, or to your liking. She's not Britney, or Katy, or Rihanna. She's pop niche at her core and because of it, The Fame will never happen again. She'll flex and stretch to make a song as radio friendly as possible because she has a certain responsibility to the fame to get hits, but when she's at her more "her," that doesn't come that easy.

Gaga's lifted VERY few references from others during Born This Way. That was more her than any era before it, and people are bothered by the fact that when Gaga has all the creative freedom and money in the world to pull out her vision, it's not what they like. And taking that out on her is silly. Just face the fact that she is, at her core, a very different artist than she made it seem when her career started. Poker Face ain't happening again.

x1nv5-the-rock-clapping.gif

Now this is a quality post

Partition

Banned

Bless this post. This is a point I've been trying to make in here for a long time.

People are surprised when I say I don't like The Fame, but it's because of the reasons you listed - and the fact I just don't like basic pop music.

Which is also why is annoys me when people like Roy bring up "receipts" about Gaga copying others, when they all pertain to The Fame era. Gaga herself admitted to being heavily inspired by Grace Jones, etc, during that era so I don't understand why people act like it's new tea. When you look at TFM/BTW eras (and even the ARTPOP era so far), it becomes much harder to nail down blatant comparisons, if not impossible. Gaga has completely found her own identity.

The Fame was Gaga selling herself out to make it big. She craved fame so much, she would do anything for it. Without The Fame era, we most likely wouldn't know who Gaga is right now. I think of The Fame era as a blemish on her career, but a necessary one.

Touchdown

Banned

But the "VERY few" she lifted from are so obvious. She was basically Madonna in that era.

Partition

Banned
But the "VERY few" she lifted from are so obvious. She was basically Madonna in that era.

Outside of "Born This Way sounding like Express Yourself" (which is also reaching), where do you get that from?

It's quite obvious if anything that the inspiration was from Whitney and Springsteen..

royalan

+ Other Stuff

Double Bull. Yes, we're going to go there, because the only difference I see between the Gaga that was and the Gaga that is are vaguer references, but they're still references, nonetheless. Basically, the game Gaga's playing now is just a hipsterfied version of what she's always done. She's just not as good at it anymore.

But this is all beside the point. Nothing is new under the sun and Gaga's crime isn't the fact that she's referenced other artists (I wouldn't say the The Fame era was my favorite Gaga era if I cared about her referencing other people. You know this because I listed all of those names you did just two pages ago. Hell, I'm the reason half you hoes even know who Kerli Koiv is and that Lady Gaga ripped her off.), and the thing that she's missing now isn't more obvious references. The thing that Gaga's lacking now that she had before is intense, laser-like focus and a compelling narrative.

There's nothing wrong with musicians pulling inspiration from other acts and pop culture in general to give definition to the image they're attempting to create for themselves, and to create a unique narrative. In Pop, it's practically a time-honored tradition. It's why Christina Aguilera's most critically well-received era is Back to Basics, despite the fact that BtB's era was basically Xtina's love note to every Jazz and Big Band powerhouse female who inspired her and the character we would come to refer to as Baby Jane. It's why a woman named Lizzy Grant found success by pooling every tragic Hollywood pinup from the 50s-70s into this dark, twisted-but-irresistible mess known as Lana Del Rey. And would Madonna's blonde ambition have been nearly as resonant if she hadn't referenced the Queen of All Blonde Bombshells, Marilyn Monroe? No. There's nothing in the pop rulebooks that says you can't reference other people to create your own identity. The point is using all of these references to say something interesting about yourself.

You can trash her all you want, but the Lady Gaga who burst onto the scene back in 2008 knew who she was, who she wanted to be, how she wanted to present her artistry to the world, and what references to pull and how to use them to create a narrative that differentiated her and really just drove it all home. And what was that narrative? "Fame kills." "We're plastic but we still have fun." "Pop music will never be low-brow." Debut Gaga was a dissection of bubblegum pop and an experiment in infusing "brainless" and "derivative" Pop that's typically associated with the Top 40 with the type of artistry and awareness that we haven't seen since Prince. Since Bowie. Since Grace Jones. And on that note, let me clock you right here because you don't know Gaga if you think she's not about the Top 40. You are kidding yourself if you don't think Gaga thrives on getting those hits. This is the woman who implied her own 6x platinum selling album was a failure because it didn't sell big enough. This is the woman who clocked Die Antwoord by reminding that one-trick hoe that she didn't "have a hit." This is the woman that wants to immerse herself in the type of megaFAME that she knows will ultimately destroy her. Lady Gaga wants to be at the top. She wants to be the HBIC. She WANTS to be the hit master. She wants the motherfucking APPLAUSE, and if you don't know that, if you think Lady Gaga was simply hustling for fame so she could roll over into a corner and be "niche", if you really believe that she's putting all this effort and promotional consideration into an album that she WANTS to be obscure then I suggest that you open a new tab in your browser, pull up Wikipedia, and read up on the POP STAR that you think you know, because you have no idea.

The Gaga I see now is a collection of references with no real point. I don't feel any real sense of purpose to any of it, and you can chalk The Fame up to Gaga's thirst for a check and to get her foot in the door, but damnit at least that gave her some purpose. ARTPOP Gaga just feels lost to me so far.

Yado

The Gaga I see now is a collection of references with no real point. I don't feel any real sense of purpose to any of it, and you can chalk The Fame up to Gaga's thirst for a check and to get her foot in the door, but damnit at least that gave her some purpose. ARTPOP Gaga just feels lost to me so far.

iYSY9Sw5mWFwP.gif

This sums it up perfectly. Pretentious and polarising just for the sake of it.

3phemeral

'scribe, have you heard this? It's a mic feed of the Dreamgirls medley at the Oscars from a few years back. When Bey comes in and slays JHud's life at 1:12. That's how you resonate. <3

While 'scribe is busy at the moment, I'll comment. I love this. I always wondered how Beyonce would hold up to a real raw-power singer, so I'm glad the mic feed of the performance further highlights this. I've had discussions with other stans trying to downplay Beyonce's abilities and claimed JHud held back, which is clearly not the case.

My main problem with Gaga is how unauthentic she is. You can't have it both ways. You are either a homage artist (I'm every icon) or the most influential pop act of this generation (lil monsters LULZ). There's something to be said on how much of a star she has become by being something she isn't (a true original).

The Germ had to become Gaga to get noticed and now she wants to be both a pop superstar and also an underground artist. One has to give and the more she attempts to stretch the fantasy (farce) the less believable it becomes. Then there's the bizarre cult angle she has cultivated, her creepy relationship with her fans, the use of the gay demographic to promote her brand, her pompous flare and just her unbearable BS.

It's like she really doesn't trust herself to BE herself and instead has to rely on all these gimmicks to be relevant. You either are an artist or you call yourself one. That Burqa/Aura demo - if it's anything as the final product - shows this bipolar behaviour fully. Make art or make pop. Don't try to be both. How pretentious.

Her whole "I'm a student of fame" angle is such a lame crutch. One she uses to brush off critics that correctly identify her an unoriginal and derivative. I personally think Gaga herself is deeply conflicted on what she really wants to be.

She loves the fame and adulation, that much is clear. But she also loves music. Her real music. Just her and her piano playing ballads. She is at her most real when she manages to bridge both personas on stage but the more she tries to find herself as an artist the more conflicted she becomes. Her foundation as a pop icon was a farce. But people loved the music that farce brought out of her. But she also want to be the fringe artist, and she knows that her fame would flee if she were to show her real self. And while she attempts to be both things and her ego goes unchecked she has to make compromises and remain a fake.

And she continues to use tricks to fool the misinformed into believing she is a serious musician and artist all the while using borrowed imagery and sounds from others to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom