• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

I think this is BTW Vol. II the polarizing opinions speak VOLUMES.

in4DgNxeI3Yit.jpg

it's not really an honest representation, tho. Many peeps are just exhausted w/ Gaga's shenanigans and that's coloring their perspective. If Applesauce has a good video, that isn't too self-indulgent and obnoxious peeps will see the light claiming Applesauce has 'grown' on them. etc.
i1ZFaf0amhYr5.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You guys should google Jeff Koons

You really think it's a reference to Jeff Koons? I'm definitely hearing a T on the end of it.

But I guess, 'one minute I'm a Koons, suddenly the Koons is me' makes even less sense, so it probably is that.

[edit] Hmm, I guess 'I'm a Koons'. I suppose that mystery is solved then.

xaosslug

I'm not sure what you're saying...

Even after the 'chola or orient maid' thing, I don't think Gaga is dumb enough to write the lyrics 'one second I'm a coon, now suddenly the coon is me'.

But I do think she is capable of including the word 'kunst' in her work without knowing how it's spelled. Especially because she's included German in her lyrics before and 'kunst' is the German word for art.

no, but she is. It's not 'dumb' at all. Gaga KNOWS how to work the media and use word play. Of course she knew using a German word for art that sounds like a racial epithet would cause a furor. I don't think people give her enough credit when it comes to hustling and the entertainment 'game'. When all is said and done she can say 'it's kunst and is pronounced KOONS and it's German for art!!!!' and come out the other side unscathed.

Nemesis_

You really think it's a reference to Jeff Koons? I'm definitely hearing a T on the end of it.

But I guess, 'one minute I'm a Koons, suddenly the Koons is me' makes even less sense, so it probably is that.

[edit] Hmm, I guess 'I'm a Koons'. I suppose that mystery is solved then.

If I remember right, she's working with him on the album in some capacity like she's working with Marina and some other artists.

xaosslug

posted? I'll just leave this here...

Lady Gaga's Forgettable 'Applause': The Sound of One Pop Star Clapping for Herself

Mother Monster unveils full version of 'ARTPOP' track after partial leak

Clapping is a behavior so deeply rooted in human beings it's almost an instinct. You can see babies and toddlers clapping just because everybody else is, and if you've ever felt the pressure to be part of a standing ovation at a Broadway show that was only okay, you know grown-ups sometimes applaud out of conformity, too. Lady Gaga has unveiled her new single "Applause" earlier than scheduled, after pieces of the song leaked over the weekend, and it's hard to escape the impression she's hoping for a similar type of crowd reaction.

For those not already invested in the idea of Gaga's world-historical greatness, "Applause" offers few reasons to clap. The insistent, relatively generic electro-pop pulse is a bit behind the times at a pop moment where the biggest song-of-the-summer candidates have moved back toward '70s-inflected guitars. It's confusing when she equates "nostalgia" with enjoying reading. The previously revealed lyrics are as head-scratching as ever — Gaga is pop culture as pop culture is art as we are all together, or something — but especially so because the song's bland dance-bot foundations are too unremarkable to support such abstract conceits. Wait, why are we clapping, again?

ARTPOP is out November 11. Gaga will perform "Applause" live at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. There will be clapping.

iM3SuLS4JtjF9.gif

FAKE EDIT: I had no idea how MAD everyone is... holy shit. Could a storm be brewing? Is a HUGE media backlash/shove out in the cold, harsh light of reality be on the horizon for Gaga?

ieAcGeVODwUyO.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
alsignasidluf aslekjd haso

Saw her tweets but had people round so couldn't run and listen but I am SLAYED
The beginning I was very wtf is this, but that chorus is just everything

I neeeed this on itunes please

Kyon

Banned
Gaga will get her hype sales first then when it's up to the casual listeners to buy it they will pick Roar. Roar will have longevity and The dance craze era is on its way out quite literally, there is 2-3 songs in the top 20. Sorry but Katy has nothing to worry about except for maybe the 1st and 2nd week
i2hVjwivnpGTl.png

botty

Banned
irvw9C2K5duOo.png

How can you possibly say that when Filth Hewmony aren't a thing in any country?

I was going to compare their Kworb stats, which would show where their songs are being sold and the peak of each song, but I couldn't find Girls Aloud on the chart.

W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

edit: found the link for girls aloud

no songs being purchased...anywhere.
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

xaosslug

Gaga will get her hype sales first then when it's up to the casual listeners to buy it they will pick Roar. Roar will have longevity and The dance craze era is on its way out quite literally, there is 2-3 songs in the top 20. Sorry but Katy has nothing to worry about except for maybe the 1st and 2nd week
i2hVjwivnpGTl.png

i dunno. the ROAR of the media collectively turning their backs on Gaga might snatch some folks' attention... peeps might wonder why, and investigate...

i1zOiTSknxlte.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Are the media turning their backs on her though?
I read some gossip mags (don't judge there was nothing else to do) and they were all clamoring for more of her.

She has three of the top five articles being read right now on NME and she's been getting articles in just about every publication multiple times these past couple of weeks, and none of them seem negative

Fey

Banned
i dunno. the ROAR of the media collectively turning their backs on Gaga might snatch some folks' attention... peeps might wonder why, and investigate...

i1zOiTSknxlte.gif

are they tho

aside from that article you posted, i haven't really seen any purely negative articles

Matt_

are they tho

aside from that article you posted, i haven't really seen any purely negative articles

Ikr, Idolator did a little compilation

In our writeup, we said “the song ticks all the right boxes when it comes to being a balls-to-the-wall pop delight[...] this is pop doing what good pop songs should do, which is grab you by the collar from the first listen and make you fall in love on the spot.”

But that’s just our take. Head below to see what everyone else had to say about the first taste of the ARTPOP era.

:: Rolling Stone felt the song evoked a simpler Gaga time, calling it “a throwback to ‘Lovegame’ era Gaga. Built on choppy synths, ‘Applause’ takes fans back to The Fame[...] ‘Applause’ is all bouncy disco and simple messages.”

:: MTV was on the same page, saying it “most certainly isn’t subtle; instead, it represents a return to Gaga’s club-friendly Fame era. Simply put, this one sounds massive, the kind of banger custom-made for massive soundsystems and dance-floor excesses.” As for the lyrics, they “suggest that whatever noise you’re making about her, she’ll not only take it … but use it to make her stronger.”

:: Fuse felt “Applause” was a return to The Fame as well, adding, “The song is for the club, the elliptical or anywhere in between (that has strobe lights and lasers, of course).”

:: Pop Dust generally enjoyed the track, but didn’t so easily pin it down as a Fame throwback. ”The song defies description. The hook is great. The bridge is seconds away from turning into ‘La Vie Boheme.’ The verses name-drop Jeff Koons, we think? Basically, we’re happy that it’s not whatever ‘Aura’ was.”

:: Upon first listen, Pop Justice scored it a 9/10, with this mic-drop of a kicker: “And this is why Lady Gaga is the best pop star in the world.”

:: Billboard liked that the song “morphs into a thrilling dance cut when it circles back to its chorus.”

:: SPIN, however, was none too impressed, calling it “the sound of one pop star clapping for herself,” and saying “the song’s bland dance-bot foundations” are “a bit behind the times at a pop moment where the biggest song-of-the-summer candidates have moved back toward ’70s-inflected guitars.” Ouch.

:: Slant Magazine had a more tepid reaction, and in fact took the contrarian stance of saying they enjoyed “Aura” more. “['Applause'] lacks the bigness of ‘Born This Way’ or even ‘Bad Romance.’ It’s a surprisingly straightforward dance-pop song, neither forward-thinking nor retro[...] existing in a sort of nondescript limbo.”

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I was going to compare their Kworb stats, which would show where their songs are being sold and the peak of each song, but I couldn't find Girls Aloud on the chart.

W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

edit: found the link for girls aloud

no songs being purchased...anywhere.
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

The fact that you're reaching for comparisons between a group that had a single out a month ago and and a group whose first single came out a decade ago and who split up last year
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

Sound of the Underground:

ibxBB8R4RY3lvB.png

By any definition, SotU was local as phuck.

As a remind again, Filth Hewmony's debut, Miss Already Moved On:

i38M3vMYQl9mC.png

You can't be global before you're local, and you can't be local if you're not selling anywhere.
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

xaosslug

Are the media turning their backs on her though?
I read some gossip mags (don't judge there was nothing else to do) and they were all clamoring for more of her.

She has three of the top five articles being read right now on NME and she's been getting articles in just about every publication multiple times these past couple of weeks, and none of them seem negative

true enough, but the media ARE lemmings. If one outlet thinks you're 'cool factor' has rubbed off the rest won't be far behind, especially when the lot of them christened Gaga the harbinger of revolutionary sound, and that ship sailed a looooong time ago, making them all look like fools. How much longer will they be made to look out of touch b4 they turn on ha?

are they tho

it's Spin, tho. They are commercially indie, and still have a lot of influence in the industry. If they are being vocal about their distaste for ha... most everyone else can't be very far behind.

Matt_

true enough, but the media ARE lemmings. If one outlet thinks you're 'cool factor' has rubbed off the rest won't be far behind, especially when the lot of them christened Gaga the harbinger of revolutionary sound, and that ship sailed a looooong time ago, making them all look like fools. How much longer will they be made to look out of touch b4 they turn on ha?

it's Spin, tho. They are commercially indie, and still have a lot of influence in the industry. If they are being vocal about their distaste for ha... most everyone else can't be very far behind.

You may be right, or it may just be wishful thinking on your part
iA0OB5JANiuGB.gif

It's still early days and most sites have been slow on the uptick. I can see gaga's tweet saying not to pay attention to bloggers riling up some tho

Phreaker

After listening to Applause non-stop this AM and Roar most of the day yesterday, I like Applause better tbh. The chorus is so amazing, gives me life, makes me want to spin around under a spotlight disco-ball with laser beams and smoke machines while putting my hands up and making them touch.

I have no idea if Applause is gonna be a huge hit or a huge dud.

I really have no idea. The sudden rush release won't help matters, nor will the inevitably bad reviews. But then again it's Gaga... she may find a way.

botty

Banned
The fact that you're reaching for comparisons between a group that had a single out a month ago and and a group whose first single came out a decade ago and who split up last year
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

Sound of the Underground:

ibxBB8R4RY3lvB.png

By any definition, SotU was local as phuck.

As a remind again, Filth Hewmony's debut, Miss Already Moved On:

i38M3vMYQl9mC.png

You can't be global before you're local, and you can't be local if you're not selling anywhere.
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

But will a Girls Alocal song ever chart over seas? Fifth Harmony has virtually no promo and still managed to break into the Hot 100, with consistent positive updates.....small updates, but still positive...and chart over seas.

The ultimate irony here is that the person you love to drag so much, Xtina, has a debut single (from 1999) that is still selling digitally. Meanwhile, your beloved girl band has nothing selling.
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

And why is it that a group with "no" fan base has song selling, but a group with a fan base has nothing selling? Do the math for me
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif
W6cyEMz.gif

You keep coming for Fifth Harmony with shade that could easily be applied to your faves, and especially to Ms. Azealia "myalbumisnevercomingout" Banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom