• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
Something about Applause feels so off. Like, I feel like I should be mega excited we've got a new Gaga song but the song is just ... there. It doesn't really make me feel anything. It seems like one of those songs that would come on the radio and I would gladly listen to but wouldn't bother to look for because it's nothing special.

Maybe the music video will change my percepTion. :/

Artemisia

Banned
The bigger deal is her missing a full day of sales, while Katy clocks more and more hours at #1 on iTunes.

Will that matter if Gaga manages to surpass her for the rest of the week?

I know new releases get the majority of their sales at the beginning of the week, but still.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The bigger deal is her missing a full day of sales, while Katy clocks more and more hours at #1 on iTunes.

Yeh that too. I don't know how long it takes to put a song on itunes but they need to get it done quick.
I'd say Gaga would loose out on the streaming side of it even if they started at the same time. While Katy is definitely not a local, I think a larger portion of her fan base is in the US compared to Gaga, but who knows
The next couple weeks of charts will be interesting. Gaga going dance, Katy going pop/rock and Britney supposed to be going urban, a lovely serving that covers everything
ibtGfL8WdMmmcI.gif

When an artists changes their sound it CAN be for the better, or it could be for the worse. Either could flop or smash. You really have no evidence to link the two together.

That's what I'm saying and when they do flop it's because they didn't do what I feel what made theme special. Everyone has their own uniqueness. Once they let that go they are no longer the unique.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

A lyric video even though it's not a single? Why?
It's a lot better than that shit she released as her second single, but it's nothing special. The production is pretty nice

I'm starting to think that Wild was an anomaly. She did this with her last album where I liked Do it Like a Dude but not the other songs

That's what I'm saying and when they do flop it's because they didn't do what I feel what made theme special. Everyone has their own uniqueness. Once they let that go they are no longer the unique.

Why can't they become unique in another way? A BETTER way?

I am damn well not the same person I was five years ago. I doubt Bey is either. Why force her to remain stagnant just because that is the sound that you think makes her unique.

Trigger

Something about Applause feels so off. Like, I feel like I should be mega excited we've got a new Gaga song but the song is just ... there. It doesn't really make me feel anything. It seems like one of those songs that would come on the radio and I would gladly listen to but wouldn't bother to look for because it's nothing special.

Fierce choreography and a good video can definitely make the difference.

royalan

Fierce choreography and a good video can definitely make the difference.

We know the video is going to feature Gaga looking like fucking Carrie and waving around some weird zombie arm thing.

In other words, it's all but guaranteed the video will suck.

Matt_

'Applause' will be available first on US ITunes at 9pm PST / 12 pm. We will tweet the links for each country as they become available

Keep ya wallets perched

xaosslug

How did you get that from all of that? Wow. I'm simple words...

I liked Britney music while Xtina was away.
Xtina had to handle her business I didn't care to much about. I don't watch celebrities for their life.
Either way, I think you guys have it all wrong. What it sounds like is not what it is. I'll just say I'm just very invested in the music more than the person. Liking the person always comes second. I've never started out growing an attachment to the artist singing the song, I do afterwards. So that's it. I love Xtina music then her, Britney music than her, Beyoncé music than her.. KP music than her.. That's it. Why do you guys think I'm immune to what you like lol. It baffles me. I'm just not overly gushy about who I like. I like everyone to a degree.. Some more than others but my arguments have always been about what I find in the music, not really the person.

um... was your account hacked or didn't you write these words:

I put Xtina on such a high pedestal. I use to talk about how she was always better than Britney. Britney was a copy cat no talented wonder. Like everything.. But Xtina let me down when she though taking 4 year hiatus would allow her to make a fan like me who's hungry for music, be a stan forever. I eventually grew tried of her. If she wasn't having baby daddy problems, she was getting fat and cracking on other fat people when she got skinny and going out to the clubs with ugly ass lowlife looking dudes.

She then got cocky out of no where and I'm trying to think to myself like, where the fuck did all of this come from? Bitch where's the album at?!

And now,... I'm just neutral. I blame Xtina for making me a fucking Britney fan. It hurts so bad.. So bad lol.

irRfR17NctSgL.gif

i've been around a lot of stans of peeps that feel 'let down' over one thing or another and my advice to them is always as follows: get YOUR lyfe, good sis.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I think if you take away the hype building up to the release and the person releasing it, it's a pretty generic pop track. The production is a bit uninspiring and sounds like something Calvin Harris would have released a year or so ago - there's shades of Stuart Price's stuff from Madonna's albums too - which says a lot considering Confessions came out in 2005. I'm also still failing to see the 'art' :p

I enjoy some of it (the A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E in the chorus is a nice moment). Not sure about it - none of her stuff has really been completely original but has at least carried her signature. This really could be anyone.

Why can't they become unique in another way? A BETTER way?

I am damn well not the same person I was five years ago. I doubt Bey is either. Why force her to remain stagnant just because that is the sound that you think makes her unique.

Right here is WHY I make my statement. This is the question I always ask when they change up their style. Why can't they be unique in another way? Why did they have to do what everybody else is doing? Beyoncé doesn't have to stagnant because from her track record she is trying something different by being more of the same. What your saying is exactly why people don't like her. They want her to be like everybody else without even knowing it. Can she pull off making an album that doesn't conform to the current sound of pop right now? That's the biggest question. Grown woman already doesn't sound like that and neither does standing with the sun.

Right here is WHY I make my statement. This is the question I always ask when they change up their style. Why can't they be unique in another way? Why did they have to do what everybody else is doing? Beyoncé doesn't have to stagnant because from her track record she is trying something different by being more of the same. What your saying is exactly why people don't like her. They want her to be like everybody else without even knowing it. Can she pull off making an album that doesn't conform to the current sound of pop right now? That's the biggest question. Grown woman already doesn't sound like that and neither does standing with the sun.

iqcSPUfUQSmhf.gif

I want her to make good music that I enjoy. That is what most people want. I think you are VASTLY over analyzing what it takes to make a "hit record". If you make something people want the trend will follow you..... Just look at the top songs so far this year. Virtually all of them are a surprise when you look at what people perceive as the "current sounds of pop right now".

um... was your account hacked or didn't you write these words:

irRfR17NctSgL.gif

i've been around a lot of stans of peeps that feel 'let down' over one thing or another and my advice to them is always as follows: get YOUR lyfe, good sis.

Yes lol I'm aware at what I said lol.

I loved Xtina, put her on a pedestal.. She had to get there somehow. Her music, and her amazing voice. Now being a stan for her because I loved her so much.. (which goes into another long story), she started to get sloppy. She just wasn't making music. On the other end of the spectrum, her rival Britney was all over the place. I hate to love popular artist, that I admitted about Rihanna, and Britneys music was swimming through me. With no Xtina to keep me occupied.. It eventually grew on me and I slowly but surely became a fan. Not a stan but just your typical neutral fan. Britneys music made me eventually a fan of her. There's nothing different lol

Fey

Banned
I think if you take away the hype building up to the release and the person releasing it, it's a pretty generic pop track. The production is a bit uninspiring and sounds like something Calvin Harris would have released a year or so ago - there's shades of Stuart Price's stuff from Madonna's albums too - which says a lot considering Confessions came out in 2005. I'm also still failing to see the 'art' :p

I enjoy some of it (the A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E in the chorus is a nice moment). Not sure about it - none of her stuff has really been completely original but has at least carried her signature. This really could be anyone.
Yeah another big problem is that this is on an album called ARTPOP ... And this is far from experimental and innovative.

royalan

Why are you guys even playing yourselves and buying into this idea that the leak was an accident?

Gaga's team leaked the shit and it was obvious.

Kyon spilled the tea ages ago: VERY few albums leak on accident these days. Last year almost NONE of the major holiday releases leaked (Taylor, 1S, Rihanna) until the albums had already been released in some part of the world and found their way online. Heck, Taylor's freaking lead single didn't even leak. That shit stayed airtight until she was ready.

What we're listening to is the final version, and if Gaga didn't want that shit to leak it wouldn't have. End of. I especially don't buy that it accidentally leaked right in the middle of Katy's release. Bull.

Yeah another big problem is that this is on an album called ARTPOP ... And this is far from experimental and innovative.

I'm under the impression that the "ART" in this scheme is the visual, not the music itself. So the ART-POP is actually her blending the avant-garde visual/videos she makes with accessible pop music. i.e. keeping them separated.

Ollie Pooch

I'm under the impression that the "ART" in this scheme is the visual, not the music itself. So the ART-POP is actually her blending the avant-garde visual/videos she makes with accessible pop music. i.e. keeping them separated.
This is probably the case, but it's a pretty lofty claim to call your album ARTPOP when the music on it doesn't really live up to the name.

And she looks like Marilyn Manson in that pic up the page. Worrying.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Why are you guys even playing yourselves and buying into this idea that the leak was an accident?

Gaga's team leaked the shit and it was obvious.

Kyon spilled the tea ages ago: VERY few albums leak on accident these days. Last year almost NONE of the major holiday releases leaked (Taylor, 1S, Rihanna) until the albums had already been released in some part of the world and found their way online. Heck, Taylor's freaking lead single didn't even leak. That shit stayed airtight until she was ready.

What we're listening to is the final version, and if Gaga didn't want that shit to leak it wouldn't have. End of. I especially don't buy that it accidentally leaked right in the middle of Katy's release. Bull.

Because if this was her plan than its a really dumb one since she just lost herself one day of sales, radio spins, and streaming points basically losing the chance of placing real high after the first week. I would understand if it leaked this Friday or Saturday but right now nah
W6cyEMz.gif

Fey

Banned
I hope this isn't the case especially if it means the rest of ARTPOP is like this ... :mad:

Praying for the zedd/madeon tracks to deliver.

Because if this was her plan than its a really dumb one since she just lost herself one day of sales, radio spins, and streaming points basically losing the chance of placing real high after the first week. I would understand if it leaked this Friday or Saturday but right now nah
W6cyEMz.gif
Well. Technically radio goes Wed-Tue.... so she didn't lose any radio days since the week for radio has yet to start.

You are right though. It doesn't feel intentional, but who knows really?

3phemeral

This is probably the case, but it's a pretty lofty claim to call your album ARTPOP when the music on it doesn't really live up to the name.

And she looks like Marilyn Manson in that pic up the page. Worrying.
I'll reserve judgement until I see everything mesh together. This is the same person who said "BTW" would be like a sweet cake with a bitter filling.

Sound-wise, it's very radio-friendly and catchy, so fairly standard stuff as far as making decent pop music is concerned. I mean, it has to be if she wants to retain some sort of pop relevance. It could be argued that the verses are an attempt to be "artistic," but I just find it really sloppy writing. We all know she can write a slick verse, but these are very obviously sloppy and sort of antithetical to what would make a good pop verse. I still believe the verses are a mess and she could have still gotten away with something more ear-friendly with controversial or "artistic" than solely relying on dramatized delivery. This is like "Hair" or "Bad Kids" without an ounce of humor.

I've no doubt her visuals will borrow heavily from performance art considering who she's working with.

Kyon

Banned
Something I thought about just rambling:

Y'all think Gaga isn't PRESSED rn? She got a big ass head and lost all rational. Gaga and her team are always very REACTIONARY and CALCULATING when it comes to her peers. It's not a coincidence that any time Knee, Rih, eBey and Katy announce something bitch thinks she could just cockblock them just like that. It's been irking me for a while now but it's not as big a deal to me as it used to be. I do want Katy to clock her because she needs to realize that she doesn't have the power she once had she's not the one and only Queen of the universe she has COMPETITION. The general populace is sick and tired of the GIMMICKS and THEATRICS. She better bring it this era or else I am sorry to say this will probably be the last time anyone will care about her like they used to. Her BUBBLE of Stans that she thrives on will only carry her so far in the game.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Well. Technically radio goes Wed-Tue.... so she didn't lose any radio days since the week for radio has yet to start.

You are right though. It doesn't feel intentional, but who knows really?

Well I kind of meant her radio deal (if she had one) because I'm sure Katy's is still in effect while Gaga's would have started next week

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
There's no way Katy clocks Gaga. I hope to God I'm wrong because I'd love to see it happen too, but...eh... That song's gonna go up on iTunes later, and Gaga's going to shoot up to #1.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. Her rabid fan base is going to work their magic though.

I'd sort of love to see Gaga go up against Taylord. Out of all of our little pop girls, I think she might give her the biggest fight.

Ollie Pooch

I'll reserve judgement until I see everything mesh together. This is the same person who said "BTW" would be like a sweet cake with a bitter filling.

Sound-wise, it's very radio-friendly and catchy, so fairly standard stuff. I mean, it has to be if she wants to retain some sort of pop relevance. It could be argued that the verses are an attempt to be "artistic," but I just find it really sloppy writing. We all know she can write a slick verse, but these are very obviously sloppy and sort of antithetical to what would make a good pop verse. I still believe the verses are a mess and she could have still gotten away with something more ear-friendly with controversial or "artistic" than solely relying on dramatized delivery. This is like "Hair" or "Bad Kids" without an ounce of humor.

I've no doubt her visuals will borrow heavily from performance art considering who she's working with.

I think the 'kunst' line (or whatever it is) is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. All I can think of when I hear it is an Aussie show called Kath & Kim where one of the characters sings 'the joker is me' in a hilariously dramatic way.

It's like aimed squarely at pop radio with purposely awkward verses and generic production. It IS nice to get something a bit lighter from her, to show she can bash out a catchy pop tune.

And maybe I'm totally overthinking it ;)

royalan

Y'all think Gaga isn't PRESSED rn? She got a big ass head and lost all rational. Gaga and her team are always very REACTIONARY and CALCULATING when it comes to her peers. It's not a coincidence that any time Knee, Rih, eBey and Katy announce something bitch thinks she could just cockblock them just like that. It's been irking me for a while now but it's not as big a deal to me as it used to be. I do want Katy to clock her because she needs to realize that she doesn't have the power she once had she's not the one and only Queen of the universe she has COMPETITION. The general populace is sick and tired of the GIMMICKS and THEATRICS. She better bring it this era or else I am sorry to say this will probably be the last time anyone will care about her like they used to. Her BUBBLE of Stans that she thrives on will only carry her so far in the game.

Did you lie?

There's no way Katy clocks Gaga. I hope to God I'm wrong because I'd love to see it happen too, but...eh... That song's gonna go up on iTunes later, and Gaga's going to shoot up to #1.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. Her rabid fan base is going to work their magic though.

I'd sort of love to see Gaga go up against Taylord. Out of all of our little pop girls, I think she might give her the biggest fight.

Actually, I don't see Gaga clocking Katy. Katy is on fire right now. She's starting a new era off the back of a VERY successful one and Roar has already gone #1 in 30 countries. And not only is Roar super radio-friendly, it's commercial friendly. Get ready to hear Roar being used in advertisements from Vampire Diaries to Plan B.

In comparison, Applause is not nearly as radio-friendly, and Gaga is coming off the back of an era that, while not a failure, didn't lead to the type of radio dominance Katy had.

Katy is going to drag Gaga from coast to coast.

Fey

Banned

Tbh I agree. I hate roar but I really want it to clock applause for some reason lol

3phemeral

I think the 'kunst' line (or whatever it is) is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. All I can think of when I hear it is an Aussie show called Kath & Kim where one of the characters sings 'the joker is me' in a hilariously dramatic way.

It's like aimed squarely at pop radio with purposely awkward verses and generic production. It IS nice to get something a bit lighter from her, to show she can bash out a catchy pop tune.

And maybe I'm totally overthinking it ;)
True, that's about the only line that comes off as making fun of herself, but it comes so damn late in the song.

I agree about her decision to go for a more "current" sound. There are a few gems on BTW, however, and some of those gems are her best tracks for me but overall, TFM gets more full-album listens than the skip-every-other-track BTW.

[edit] Forgot to mention I listened to Roar again and I stand by my original assessment. Sure, it's radio friendly but I just can't use it. It's not standout for me at all and I couldn't care any less if it were "specifically crafted for radio and endorsements." Not saying this because I don't like Katy, I find her rather innocuous artistically and I like a few of her songs, but Roar does absolutely nothing for me.

PowderedToast

roar is ZZzZzZzZzzzZzZzZzZz

it's a motivational song for 11 year old girls, so naturally it'll get 300m views on youtube

katy is as vanilla and transparent as they come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom