• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I wasn't really aware of the previous conversation. I just noticed your post and figured it was odd that she "selective chose endorsements" when she was doing endorsements left and right at the height of her popularity. She really couldn't do much more because she was already doing the most.

I suppose you can say that she could choose the best of the endorsements she was given (I recall she was also being pimped out by Donatella Versace), but I think it's a little disingenuous to say she was "selective" when she's done random things like Skechers and Virgin Mobile ads simulating sex. I mean, what does Virgin Mobile have to do with her brand? And how can you be "selective" if it adds nothing to your creative message? I understand MAC makeup because it was done in conjunction with donating funds to AIDS research, but nothing else really stands out as upper-echelon endorsement other than being high profile.
i0nDVgY5E3ftS.gif

How is this surprising? Christina was still at the beck and call of label execs at that time. Of course her first few years were chock full of endorsements.

xaosslug

it really does crack me up how AyaisMUsikWhore has said a bunch of times how much she loves Christina (denies being a pressed, ex-stan, really!), and isn't really interested in any gurl over the other - yet she constantly draaaaaags Christina for dear life (merrily joins the periodic thread-wide-feel-better-about-out-fave Christina dragging sessions) and defends Beyonce at nearly every turn.

i mean

ibyBto42Kgp1FC.gif

Nemesis_

but who is this supposed to be
i0nDVgY5E3ftS.gif

Well she's sitting on a trash can.

That's all I can tell >_>

it really does crack me up how AyaisMUsikWhore has said a bunch of times how much she loves Christina (denies being a pressed, ex-stan, really!), and isn't really interested in any gurl over the other - yet she constantly draaaaaags Christina for dear life (merrily joins the periodic thread-wide-feel-better-about-out-fave Christina dragging sessions) and defends Beyonce at nearly every turn.

i mean

effervescent-radiant-goddess.gif

Leave Aya alone tbh

isSpY3SuutXQi.gif

royalan

But then what's the difference in differentiating them? I'm going back to your previous point about Christina being somehow "selective" and at the "beck and call" of her record label.
i0nDVgY5E3ftS.gif

Do you know how time works?

Once upon a time Christina was a slave to her label. She's been very outspoken about this. This also coincides with the time she was the most active with endorsements.

Time passes and Christina gradually takes more and more control of her career. This also coincides with her doing less endorsements, with the exception of big ones like Pepsi.

Where's the confusion?

Artemisia

Banned

Once upon a time Christina was a slave to her label. She's been very outspoken about this. This also coincides with the time she was the most active with endorsements.

Time passes and Christina gradually more and more control of her career. This also coincides with her doing less endorsements, with the exception of big ones like Pepsi.

Where's the confusion?

Not you CONVENIENTLY ignoring that time passing also coincides with Xtina becoming a flop. I think that may have something to do with the lack of endorsements.

Oh please, these character attacks because someone does endorsements.

Endorsements and sponsorships are PURE SOCIAL CAPITAL. You do it if you wanna remain at the social zeitgeist and the more endorsement offers you get the more proof of culture power you have.

Beyonce has as many endorsements as she has because she's likable and is a marketable figure. Same with Britney, Christina and Rihanna.

And honestly, no one here can tell me that they wouldn't do an endoresement deal if they were offered one. It's easy money. I wouldn't hesitate. And Christina wouldn't either, so let's not kid ourselves.

i mean

ibyBto42Kgp1FC.gif

I found out Roy use to be a Bey stan and draggs her to death as well. Both for different reasons but I grew tired of Xtina and Beyoncé, the woman I hated the most, grew on me. Xtina has not and shes just gotten lame over the years. I drag back. Of course I still have respect for Xtina but I'm not a stan and can drag for the days that she has been disappointing on a whole. Lotus, half of Bionic.. Those are unforgivable..

For Bey, it was Sasha Fierce.. Done.

3phemeral

Time passes and Christina gradually more and more control of her career. This also coincides with her doing less endorsements, with the exception of big ones like Pepsi.

Where's the confusion?

But Christina has said herself that Stripped was the start (and technically Lady Marmalade) of her artistic freedom. It's when she changed managers and controlled her image and sound. That certainly sounds inconsistent with the idea that she was at the beck and call of her record label, though. It wasn't until Bionic and Lotus where there were signs that they stepped right back in to guide her musically. This was the mark of her independence, all according to her.

ibcEL4Fn3iusnt.gif

Keep in mind, she chose to do BMW by writing the jingle for their ad campaign. They didn't approach her, she willingly competed against other artists for the privilege.

Kyon

Banned
How do y'all not remember during the TFM era Gaga walking the streets of NYC in that iconic outfit?

>_> y'all call yourselves monsters

royalan

Not you CONVENIENTLY ignoring that time passing also coincides with Xtina becoming a flop. I think that may have something to do with the lack of endorsements.

Care to explain Back to Basics then?

Care to explain how other, bigger flops manage to keep their bills paid EXCLUSIVELY through endorsements?

I'll wait.

But Christina has said herself that Stripped was the start (and technically Lady Marmalade) of her artistic freedom. It's when she changed managers and controlled her image and sound. That certainly sounds inconsistent with the idea that she was at the beck and call of her record label, though. It wasn't until Bionic and Lotus where there were signs that they stepped right back in to guide her musically. This was the mark of her independence, all according to her.

ibcEL4Fn3iusnt.gif

Keep in mind, she chose to do BMW by writing the jingle for their ad campaign. They didn't approach her, she willingly competed against other artists for the privilege.

And, again, I never said that Christina NEVER did endorsements. When Christina took over she became more selective with the endorsements she signed on for. Like, I really don't get your point right now.

Nemesis_

And you call yourself a gaga stan?

lady_gaga_in_a_trash_can.jpg

I thought it was Bionic-era Christina.

fenuidsbfvuidshfbviudsfhdsuifhbsduifbsuidfbsduifgbdsuifdsbgfuid

Anyway, Infected Mushroom (who are confirmed to be behind parts of Aura) have spoken out about working with Gaga.

It's honestly not what you expect

"She (Gaga) came into Zedd's studio, her producer, while he was working on our track", says I-zen. "It was one of its first demos she immediately fell in love with. Zedd called us saying "There's a problem. Lady Gaga wants your song."

We had some serious deliberation, we see ourselves as a band with a high artistic integrity and we avoid commercialization and doing cheap things such as Britney or Gaga. But suddenly there's a concrete offer on the table and saying "No" is a mistake, because it's a guaranteed lifelong pension. Each time the song is being played or sold, we get some pretty nice royalties. So we decided to give her the melody, as long as we are signed under our private names. We felt embarrassment for our fans. But she refused, she wanted "Infected Mushroom" to be credited. So, we decided to go for it thinking it won't make the cut or she'll eventually change her mind.

Interviewer: But she didn't. Do you like the result?

No. I think it's an artistic compromise. The song is too cheesy and commercialized. The way her vocals are over the melody is bad. But, what do I know about pop hits? we are honored that someone off Gaga's league found potential in our track and loved it.

RIP

i4kPVBU3jdmi1.gif

xaosslug

I found out Roy use to be a Bey stan and draggs her to death as well. Both for different reasons but I grew tired of Xtina and Beyoncé, the woman I hated the most, grew on me. Xtina has not and shes just gotten lame over the years. I drag back. Of course I still have respect for Xtina but I'm not a stan and can drag for the days that she has been disappointing on a whole. Lotus, half of Bionic.. Those are unforgivable..

For Bey, it was Sasha Fierce.. Done.

oh, so like I sussed out way back and you denied - you're a disgruntled ex-Christina stan. OK.

ibsQ9Y5txS0Oud.gif

Nemesis_

It just makes no sense to me - if you're all about the artistic integrity (rofl) then why wouldn't you just be like "No, we don't want to work with you".

I suppose the opportunity to be associated with one of the world's greatest pop stars and earn some of the almighty dollar is above and beyond their artistic integrity.

iMvcq9JlMqJuU.gif

It just makes no sense to me - if you're all about the artistic integrity (rofl) then why wouldn't you just be like "No, we don't want to work with you".

I suppose the opportunity to be associated with one of the world's greatest pop stars and earn some of the almighty dollar is above and beyond their artistic integrity.

I wonder how many of their fans are fuming that they by definition sold out.

iMvcq9JlMqJuU.gif

3phemeral

And, again, I never said that Christina NEVER did endorsements. When Christina took over she became more selective with the endorsements she signed on for. Like, I really don't get your point right now.

This is where I really don't understand the idea of "selective" endorsements. How do you determine what's selective? Just because she did them less? And where are there reports where she's turned down endorsements to corroborate this idea that she had some sort of "artistic integrity" to uphold with making money?

I don't understand the point of differentiating making dough. And should we really because discussing endorsements when Christina has yet to do a tour for her actual fans and instead, has offered more of what made her a star for her never ending Billionaire's Club tour?

oh, so like I sussed out way back and you denied - you're a disgruntled ex-Christina stan. OK.

ibsQ9Y5txS0Oud.gif

Or maybe your deeply pressed that I'm not on your team anymore to defend and praise Xtina for her achievements?

Nah, I'm over Xtina. I Don't knock her hustle but she isn't some exclusive product everybody wants to have.

Nemesis_

Let me go bop to Infected Mushrooms.

ibsQ9Y5txS0Oud.gif

Sis, aren't you spite stanning Katy Perry right now?

Given the eclectic production style that Infected Mushroom employ, I wouldn't be running too fast. Your poor little auditory cortex might not be able to handle it

ib2gUaThmMlupO.gif

I wonder how many of their fans are fuming that they by definition sold out.

iMvcq9JlMqJuU.gif

The self clocking was too good.

itjFZzX5Bug0u.gif

royalan

This is where I really don't understand the idea of "selective" endorsements. How do you determine what's selective? Just because she did them less? And where are there reports where she's turned down endorsements to corroborate this idea that she had some sort of "artistic integrity" to uphold with making money?

It's a collection of obvious inferences.

1) Christina is a pop star.

2) Christina is still in-demand (judging by her successful collaborations a giant Voice paycheck).

3) Even "has-been" celebrities who don't have nearly as much demand as Xtina can pull in endorsements. Like, seriously, do you really think Christina Aguilera couldn't pull endorsements? NICOLE SCHERZINGER can pull endorsements.

4) Christina clearly doesn't prioritize endorsement deals. If she did, assuming points 1 - 3 are true (they are), there is no reason why she WOULDN'T be doing more of them. Thus, it's fair to say she's selective.

I don't understand the point of differentiating making dough. And should we really because discussing endorsements when Christina has yet to do a tour for her actual fans and instead, has offered more of what made her a star for her never ending Billionaire's Club tour?

Yes, because the topic of the conversation occurring just now was endorsements, not touring. See, you're starting to do that thing you do where you start off with a point, but then you devolve into generalized Christina bashing when you run out of things to say.

That makes me wonder. X-Factor and American Idol get a lot of flak for being mediocre and garbage but at least the people on their show eventually make a name for themselves just for even being associated with the show. Has the same been done for The Voice? Has any of Sheldon winners do something worth while with their careers? Any album releases? Number one hits? Anything? Do these people even get a contract after they win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom