• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
Care to explain Back to Basics then?

Care to explain how other, bigger flops manage to keep their bills paid EXCLUSIVELY through endorsements?

I'll wait.

And, again, I never said that Christina NEVER did endorsements. When Christina took over she became more selective with the endorsements she signed on for. Like, I really don't get your point right now.

Xtina wasn't really a flop in B2B era though...? The album sold a lot and she had some well performing singles on it.

Anyway, Is there any real way you can verify that Xtina was being more selective? To make that claim you need to prove two things: 1) that the amount of opportunities being presented to Xtina didn't decrease over time (that she was still in demand), and 2) that Xtina turned down many of those opportunities. I don't see how you can have knowledge of endorsement deals that fell through; that type of info usually aren't disclosed to the public.

Koodo

Banned
That makes me wonder. X-Factor and American Idol get a lot of flak for being mediocre and garbage but at least the people on their show eventually make a name for themselves just for even being associated with the show. Has the same been done for The Voice? Has any of Sheldon winners do something worth while with their careers? Any album releases? Number one hits? Anything? Do these people even get a contract after they win?
The season two winner of X Factor debuted higher than every contestant from The Voice.

royalan

That makes me wonder. X-Factor and American Idol get a lot of flak for being mediocre and garbage but at least the people on their show eventually make a name for themselves just for even being associated with the show. Has the same been done for The Voice? Has any of Sheldon winners do something worth while with their careers? Any album releases? Number one hits? Anything? Do these people even get a contract after they win?

Wait.

Has anyone from X-Factor had any hit albums or number 1 hits?

royalan

Xtina wasn't really a flop in B2B era though...? The album sold a lot and she had some well performing singles on it.

Anyway, Is there any real way you can verify that Xtina was being more selective? To make that claim you need to prove two things: 1) that the amount of opportunities being presented to Xtina didn't decrease over time (that she was still in demand), and 2) that Xtina turned down many of those opportunities. I don't see how you can have knowledge of endorsement deals that fell through; that type of info usually aren't disclosed to the public.

Read my last post.

The season two winner of X Factor debuted higher than every contestant from The Voice.

So why did that show win an Emmy if none of their winners are even making money?.. Hmm.. I normally don't watch the voice because country singers win all the time (X-Factor was guilty of this... Britney's Carly was CLEARLY the winner. I feel they personally snubbed her) but I mean, is this show that big of a deal? Why do people audition if they have no success stories. What kind of false advertising?

Koodo

Banned
So why did that show win an Emmy if none of their winners are even making money?
Isn't it obvious?

ibdvKaYSm2R02V.gif

royalan

So why did that show win an Emmy if none of their winners are even making money?.. Hmm.. I normally don't watch the voice because country singers win all the time (X-Factor was guilty of this... Britney's Carly was CLEARLY the winner. I feel they personally snubbed her) but I mean, is this show that big of a deal? Why do people audition if they have no success stories. What kind of false advertising?

Because it's the better SHOW? Like...

As jaded as it is, I really don't fucking care how the contestants of ANY singing competition does anymore, and I haven't since season 3 of AI. Frankly, X-Factor and AI have been so concerned with making stars that they forgot to make entertaining television, which is why they're BOTH currently snooze-fests and ratings disasters.

The Voice may not have created any stars (yet), but it's a fucking FUN show to watch. And they select a higher bar of talent so you actually get some great performance on the actual SHOW.

Isn't it obvious?

ibdvKaYSm2R02V.gif

That Emmy was for Season 3, sis.

ibrZ0uUEe2NXqg.gif

botty

Banned
This endorsement argument is odd. I mean... legend X has been working very closely to feed starving african children for a while now, and with that has done far more advertising for greater causes than beyonce. I think the last time Bey did charitable work, it was to try and help her singles from 4, too. "I Was Flopping" and whatever else slid out of her bleached anus that era.

sorry, cyno sis :(
ibjz551Dq9DBpN.gif

xaosslug

they do get contracts, fwiw. But the whole 'singing competition super-star' spiel is on life support (as evidenced by AI/XF's ratings bottoming out) and TheVoice was the first show to turn the spotlight on the judges, precisely because the age of singing comp. stars is dying.

xaosslug

Christina Aguilera

3phemeral

It's a collection of obvious inferences.

1) Christina is a pop star.

2) Christina is still in-demand (judging by her successful collaborations a giant Voice paycheck).

3) Even "has-been" celebrities who don't have nearly as much demand as Xtina can pull in endorsements. Like, seriously, do you really think Christina Aguilera couldn't pull endorsements? NICOLE SCHERZINGER can pull endorsements.

4) Christina clearly doesn't prioritize endorsement deals. If she did, assuming points 1 - 3 are true (they are), there is no reason why she WOULDN'T be doing more of them. Thus, it's fair to say she's selective.

These are all assumptions and no real evidence. Christina's not bankable as a solo artist. She was offered the Voice because she was pretty much counted out of the pop game and they took advantage of it. She was in a downward spiral career- and life-wise. These are obvious conclusions.

Christina is only bankable now that The Voice is a success. You can't argue that Christina was bankable at the jump of The Voice. She was poison. Her entire fanbase was having a huge meltdown because of it. Moves Like Jagger and Feel This Moment were surprise hits, but can you use them as examples of her being bankable when she can't even bank on her own music?

Nicole had endorsements because she did a successful run of X Factor, she had an album coming out, and she works her ass off. Out of all the pop bitches in the game, aside from Ciara, I don't think you can discount her work ethic when it comes to producing sheer elbow grease to her career momentum. You forgot to mention she was hugely successful with her music in the UK.

You're jumping through a lot of mental hoops to feel as though Christina has ever had some higher moral ground accepting endorsements.

Yes, because the topic of the conversation occurring just now was endorsements, not touring. See, you're starting to do that thing you do where you start off with a point, but then you devolve into generalized Christina bashing when you run out of things to say.

But aren't endorsement just whoring out yourself for money that lacks any artistic merit with your brand? Sure, you're not putting a brand to a name, but it's certainly quite a small and selective audience you're choosing to cater to when there's a wider and more significantly impacted group of people who made you who you are.

And I think bringing up her private tour is perfectly rational a topic when you're claiming she's employing some sort of ethical process to what's essential the same thing, no matter who the pop star.

botty

Banned
Episode submitted:
"The Voice"
Episode: "The Blind Auditions - Part 1"
Airdate: March 25, 2013

ibWspHZnW3Omb.gif

Via Emmys.com

Outstanding Lighting Design | Lighting Direction For A Variety Series - 2013

Winner
The Voice
Live Final Performances (Season 3)
NBC
One Three Inc. (a Hearst/Mark Burnett company), Talpa Media USA, Inc. and Warner Horizon Television
Oscar Dominguez, Lighting Designer; Daniel Boland, Lighting Director; Samuel Barker, Lighting Director; Craig Housenick, Media Server Operator

iWPdaf7EVJONu.gif

Because it's the better SHOW? Like...

As jaded as it is, I really don't fucking care how the contestants of ANY singing competition does anymore, and I haven't since season 3 of AI. Frankly, X-Factor and AI have been so concerned with making stars that they forgot to make entertaining television, which is why they're BOTH currently snooze-fests and ratings disasters.

The Voice may not have created any stars (yet), but it's a fucking FUN show to watch. And they select a higher bar of talent so you actually get some great performance on the actual SHOW.

That Emmy was for Season 3, sis.

ibrZ0uUEe2NXqg.gif

It's an okay show not a great show. And what the point of being on the show to showcase talent but can't use your talent where you want to be? Sad excuse. I would give the Voice more props if the incredible talent there wasn't getting overshadowed by the judges and the talented peeps that be on AI (Candice Glover cannot be dismissed. Even Queen Mariah praised her) .. and the search for the next marketable face of X-Factor? No.. It can keep the one Emmy is will get ever get.

This endorsement argument is odd. I mean... legend X has been working very closely to feed starving african children for a while now, and with that has done far more advertising for greater causes than beyonce. I think the last time Bey did charitable work, it was to try and help her singles from 4, too. "I Was Flopping" and whatever else slid out of her bleached anus that era.

sorry, cyno sis :(
ibjz551Dq9DBpN.gif

Stop the lies.

they do get contracts, fwiw. But the whole 'singing competition super-star' spiel is on life support (as evidenced by AI/XF's ratings bottoming out) and TheVoice was the first show to turn the spotlight on the judges, precisely because the age of singing comp. stars is dying.

Christina Aguilera

So I'm supposed to watch a singing competition show for and about the judges that already got million dollar contracts on stage NOT showcasing their talent.. all while ignoring the actual talent on the stage pretty much singing for their life? What kind of secret twisted narcissistic trap is this?

royalan

These are all assumptions and no real evidence. Christina's not bankable as a solo artist. She was offered the Voice because she was pretty much counted out of the pop game and they took advantage of it. She was in a downward spiral career- and life-wise. These are obvious conclusions.

Christina is only bankable now that The Voice is a success. You can't argue that Christina was bankable at the jump of The Voice. She was poison. Her entire fanbase was having a huge meltdown because of it. Moves Like Jagger and Feel This Moment were surprise hits, but can you use them as examples of her being bankable when she can't even bank on her own music?

Nicole had endorsements because she did a successful run of X Factor, she had an album coming out, and she works her ass off. Out of all the pop bitches in the game, aside from Ciara, I don't think you can discount her work ethic when it comes to producing sheer elbow grease to her career momentum. You forgot to mention she was hugely successful with her music in the UK.

You're jumping through a lot of mental hoops to feel as though Christina has ever had some higher moral ground accepting endorsements.

I'm sorry, sis, but none of this makes any sense. None.

You say that Christina doesn't get endorsement deals because she isn't "bankable" (nevermind the fact that she had just released a movie that made back its budget and then some, AND fronted a successful soundtrack the year before. Oh, AND that The Voice paid her 11 million to do the show RIGHT OFF THE BAT). But then you say that Nicole Scherzinger gets endorsement deals because she "works her ass off"...as though that has anything at all to do with how bankable you are.

It doesn't. Scherzinger isn't bankable because of her work ethic. She isn't bankable at all, and this is based on the fact that her music and albums sell like absolute shit, and that's WHEN she can convince her label she's worth enough to even release them. She did 1 season of X-Factor US before she was literally KICKED OFF THE SHOW and sent packing to the UK.

Nicole Scherzinger is a nobody, and she does those endorsements because ONCE UPON A TIME she was somewhat of a somebody. And how much she "works her ass off" has shit to do with that. Because at the end of the day, if you've ever had even the tiniest bit of celebrity there will ALWAYS be some shampoo or face cream that will allow you stick your face in their commercials.

Seriously, the extent of Christina's "flopping" has become VASTLY exaggerated in this thread. Christina could be doing endorsements CONSTANTLY if she wanted to.

xaosslug

not koodo using a questionable source to bolster ha agenda...

iHJ3N1LZQIZeH.gif

So I'm supposed to watch a singing competition show for and about the judges that already got million dollar contracts on stage NOT showcasing their talent.. all while ignoring the actual talent on the stage pretty much singing for their life? What kind of secret twisted narcissistic trap is this?

well, you're not supposed to do anything. But that's what viewers have responded to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

royalan

It's an okay show not a great show. And what the point of being on the show to showcase talent but can't use your talent where you want to be? Sad excuse. I would give the Voice more props if the incredible talent there wasn't getting overshadowed by the judges and the talented peeps that be on AI (Candice Glover cannot be dismissed. Even Queen Mariah praised her) .. and the search for the next marketable face of X-Factor? No.. It can keep the one Emmy is will get ever get.

Which is one more Emmy than American Idol ever got (in the category).

You're getting caught up on the idea that a reality singing competition HAS to produce outside of the scope of the show to be considered successful. This isn't true. The Voice has literally PROVEN that if you make the actual SHOW entertaining, then most people don't give a fuck what happens after. Does Phillip Phillips going platinum change the fact that the season he won was one of the most BORING in Idol history and nearly HALVED its ratings? Nope.

And the thing is, The Voice showcases great talent (and at a consistently higher bar than both AI and X-Factor) on the actual show.

Which is one more Emmy than American Idol ever got (in the category).

You're getting caught up on the idea that a reality singing competition HAS to produce outside of the scope of the show to be considered successful. This isn't true. The Voice has literally PROVEN that if you make the actual SHOW entertaining, then most people don't give a fuck what happens after. Does Phillip Phillips going platinum change the fact that the season he won was one of the most BORING in Idol history and nearly HALVED its ratings? Nope.

And the thing is, The Voice showcases great talented (and consistently higher bar than both AI and X-Factor) on the actual show.

Singing competition shows are all entertaining. Which competition show isn't? How can you get bored by watching your favorite contestant sing for their lives on stage? That's unrealistic and that's hardly the reason why AI lost. It wasn't because the show wasn't entertaining. The fact that the voice won is still controversial to this day because many still believe it wasn't meant to at all. AI paved the way for the Voice.. After 9 years, it's a big snub.

However if it's a judge competition secretly masked as a singing comp, then that's just sad really. I'll give the Voice having talent but their talent means nothing if the show is meant to operate differently. I won't be able to hear my fav from the comp make an album because, well judges are being paid to be frienemies. That's backwards to me.

Edit: Idk what it is, but I love Miley live voice. It's so country but unsteady, rough, makes your throat feel tight but it just feels unique all the way through. I think this performance of Wrecking Ball is actually good. Look at her trying to feel this song lol! Miley SNL Gifs?

3phemeral

I'm sorry, sis, but none of this makes any sense. None.

You say that Christina doesn't get endorsement deals because she isn't "bankable" (nevermind the fact that she had just released a movie that made back its budget and then some, AND fronted a successful soundtrack the year before. Oh, AND that The Voice paid her 11 million to do the show RIGHT OFF THE BAT). But then you say that Nicole Scherzinger gets endorsement deals because she "works her ass off"...as though that has anything at all to do with how bankable you are.

It doesn't. Scherzinger isn't bankable because of her work ethic. She isn't bankable at all, and this is based on the fact that her music and albums sell like absolute shit, and that's WHEN she can convince her label she's worth enough to even release them. She did 1 season of X-Factor US before she was literally KICKED OFF THE SHOW and sent packing to the UK.

Nicole Scherzinger is a nobody, and she does those endorsements because ONCE UPON A TIME she was somewhat of a somebody. And how much she "works her ass off" has shit to do with that. Because at the end of the day, if you've ever had even the tiniest bit of celebrity there will ALWAYS be some shampoo or face cream that will allow you stick your face in their commercials.

Seriously, the extent of Christina's "flopping" has become VASTLY exaggerated in this thread. Christina could be doing endorsements CONSTANTLY if she wanted to.
If the crux of your argument is "because Nicole Scherzinger," I think it's case closed.
i0nDVgY5E3ftS.gif

royalan

If the crux of your argument is "because Nicole Scherzinger," I think it's case closed.
i0nDVgY5E3ftS.gif

LOL - nice try. Your argument about Scherzinger's "work ethic" meaning a damn thing is dead wrong, and you know that now.

So, again, if nobodies like Nicole, Eliza, and Kristen can bag endorsement deals, Christina Aguilera would have no problem if bagging endorsement deals were something she actually gave a shit about. Admit defeat.

Koodo

Banned
i0nDVgY5E3ftS.gif
Sis, the case was closed when you posted this:

I didn't expect the legend to be exposed as a bigger and less dignified endorsement whore than Beyoncé. Brutally shameful.

ibiy4KI6pIAQiV.gif

royalan

Sis, the case was closed when you posted this:

I didn't expect the legend to be exposed as a bigger and less dignified endorsement whore than Beyoncé. Brutally shameful.

ibiy4KI6pIAQiV.gif

Do you have receipts, sis? No?

Because I could easily point out how, while the Beyhive has been waiting for an album that was originally supposed to be coming this year, Beyonce instead chose to tour and book three different endorsement deals with unreleased music in just the past year alone. And if we include 2012 the shit gets WORSE.

Now THAT'S shameful.

ibiy4KI6pIAQiV.gif

Claiming that Christina was EVER a bigger endorsement whore than Beyonce is an all-the-way lie of the UTMOST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom