• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

Oh wait from the article I linked earlier, this might be of some interest for some:
Janelle Monáe secures her best sales week and first top 10 album as "The Electric Lady" bows at No. 5 with 47,000. The set, which is her second full-length effort, follows her debut album, "The Archandroid: Suites II and III." It arrived in 2010 and debuted and peaked at No. 17 with a start of 21,000.
Good for her.

Partition

Banned
It's a disservice to the genre to assume that talking about it deeply is a bad thing. Pop music is an endlessly flexible entity, it can be as layered or as shallow as you want it to be. So keep talking it up, Gaga, I'm all ears.

That's so true. It irks me when people say that Gaga takes pop music too seriously or that she does too much for the kind of music she makes. The notion that pop music has a set agenda or way to do things is absurd. Gaga is a popular artist and her music is popular therefore whatever she does is still pop. Her ARTPOP can be allowed to exist because pop itself has no rules.

I remember in 2005-7 when many rock songs dominated the pop charts.

SaintZ

Hot 100

1. Wrecking Ball
2. Roar
3. Royals
4. Blurred Lines
5. Wake Me Up
6. Holy Grail
7. Applause
8. Berzerk
9. Hold On We're Going Home
10. Summertime Sadness
Miley Cyrus smashes her way to her first Billboard Hot 100 No. 1, as "Wrecking Ball" rockets 22-1 with top Streaming and Sales Gainer honors. The song knocks Katy Perry's "Roar" out of the top spot after two weeks.

Cyrus previously rose as high as No. 2 on the Hot 100 with two songs: prior single "We Can't Stop" and 2009's "Party in the U.S.A."

Destiny Hope did it.

Kyon

Banned
I think the only serious issue here is there is no ART in ARTPOP. It's a Pop album there is nothing art about it

Or am I missing something?

That's so true. It irks me when people say that Gaga takes pop music too seriously or that she does too much for the kind of music she makes. The notion that pop music has a set agenda or way to do things is absurd. Gaga is a popular artist and her music is popular therefore whatever she does is still pop. Her ARTPOP can be allowed to exist because pop itself has no rules.

I remember in 2005-7 when many rock songs dominated the pop charts.

Yeah, and I think also because it's such a female-dominated genre (there's no other genre of music that has this high a concentration of female musicians) that the general public want to assume that pop music is over-sexualized, more style over substance, etc. And in many cases that may be true, but the bottom line is that the only rule of a pop song is that the lyrics should be at the bare minimum catchy, and at the absolute max should be esoteric in style. And esoteric lyrics are found across all kinds of genres (especially R&B and folk), and they don't hinder the value or depth of a song if you know how to use them.

So people really need to get their shit together, lol. Saying that you shouldn't take pop seriously like you say Gaga does just means that you think the genre is less than others. It's not, and we need people like Gaga to remind us of that fact.

I think the only serious issue here is there is no ART in ARTPOP. It's a Pop album there is nothing art about it

I posted about this a while ago. The pop is the music, the art is the visual (i.e. performances, videos, etc.). The album itself is a straight-up pop record. She fuses the pop with artistic visuals through her videos, fashion, and performances. Since she does performance art, the music is only one half of the overall presentation

Partition

Banned

I don't think we've seen much of the ART part yet, it probably involves her Koons collabs, performance art piece with Robert Wilson, and extending the music through the app.

But if you don't think the song ARTPOP is very ART, you are missing something. It's one of the more experimental things she has done and explains what the album is about.

Styles

I've probably racked in more plays for "ARTPOP" and "Sex Dreams" than "Applause", twice over.

ibpNyjwUvyxWPy.gif

Yeah, and I think also because it's such a female-dominated genre (there's no other genre of music that has this high a concentration of female musicians) that the general public want to assume that pop music is over-sexualized, more style over substance, etc. And in many cases that may be true, but the bottom line is that the only rule of a pop song is that the lyrics should be at the bare minimum catchy, and at the absolute max should be esoteric in style. And esoteric lyrics are found across all kinds of genres (especially R&B and folk), and they don't hinder the value or depth of a song if you know how to use them.

So people really need to get their shit together, lol. Saying that you shouldn't take pop seriously like you say Gaga does just means that you think the genre is less than others. It's not, and we need people like Gaga to remind us of that fact.

I posted about this a while ago. The pop is the music, the art is the visual (i.e. performances, videos, etc.). The album itself is a straight-up pop record. She fuses the pop with artistic visuals through her videos, fashion, and performances. Since she does performance art, the music is only one half of the overall presentation

Gather them.

Nemesis_

I haven't synced my iPad scrobbles yet but I'm sure it's the same for me. Swine just clicked with me too so the only way is up for that too.

Kyon

Banned
She’s talking to angels, counting the stars

Making a wish on a passing car

She’s dancing with strangers, falling apart

Waiting for Superman to pick her up

In his AAAAAAAAAAARMSSS YEAH, In his AAAAAAAAAAARRMMMMSSSS YEAH

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif

The King came back last night out of NOWHERE and ended me by having a song dedicated to the greatest Hero of all time. I'm CRYING and it makes me so sad

royalan

I don't hate the fact that Gaga has an opinion on her music, or even an intent.

However, I DO think she has gotten to a point where she overloads her process, and you can hear that in some of her most annoying songs (including Applause).

Maybe it was because she had just felt the bitter sting of being dropped by a label, but the Gaga of the The Fame's primary focus was creating fun and catchy Pop bops. Now she just seems so concerned with her songs being overstuffed with meaning and obvious "art" that she's almost not letting the songs flow out of her organically. In all of her interviews she seems too concerned with what she feels she HAS to say with her music, when she really just needs to create and let the songs speak for themselves

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Stefan™;82505485 said:
I've probably racked in more plays for "ARTPOP" and "Sex Dreams" than "Applause", twice over.

ibpNyjwUvyxWPy.gif

I haven't synced my iPad scrobbles yet but I'm sure it's the same for me. Swine just clicked with me too so the only way is up for that too.

I havent even download the songs but I'm not sure why
Part of me wants to not play them to much now so when the album drops it will all be really fresh

It is a man.

If it is someone like Bruce Springsteen I will vomit everywhere

edit; oh and I hope its not some dug up vocals of MJ because the criticism that would ensue would just be too much

I don't hate the fact that Gaga has an opinion on her music, or even an intent.

However, I DO think she has gotten to a point where she overloads her process, and you can hear that in some of her most annoying songs (including Applause).

Maybe it was because she had just felt the bitter sting of being dropped by a label, but the Gaga of the The Fame's primary focus was creating fun and catchy Pop bops. Now she just seems so concerned with her songs being overstuffed with meaning and obvious "art" that she's almost not letting the songs flow out of her organically. In all of her interviews she seems too concerned with what she feels she HAS to say with her music, when she really just needs to create and let the songs speak for themselves

Unfortunately this is not true. The reason why I say that is because when lady Gaga in the fame era was just "crazy and ridiculous" she, imo, was making her music speak for her along with the image that people didn't understand. People thought all her efforts were just crazy to the point it was getting predictable and I think she have learned that people might appreciate her better if she explained somehow why she had those, though of, crazy outfits and the such.

For example, Miley Wreaking Ball is a very good example. The video was heavily criticized for the visuals and it was sad that she had to literally explain the video so people would get it. If she hadn't done that, people would think of course that's she's being a whore and a slut or whatever derogatory word they give her because they hate.

So, from my point of view, she's trying something different and giving more substance to her imagery and her music so people can understand because the majority of the people who know her still thinks she crazy on drugs and still seeking attention with her crazy outfits. Ask anyone something about Lady Gaga and the first thing they might tell you is "She's crazy" when she's not. She's just combining her music with her imagery and letting that speak but people still don't get it.

cory64

Applause - 31 plays
Birthday - 25 plays
Roar - 22 plays
Work B**ch - 19 plays
Dark Horse - 17 plays
Wrecking Ball - 14 plays

(across all tracks since May)
American Life - 73 plays
Er*tica - 44 plays
Like A Prayer - 39 plays
MDNA - 37 plays
Bedtime Stories - 35 plays
Ray of Light - 33 plays
Confessions - 29 plays
Madonna - 25 plays
Music - 23 plays
True Blue - 21 plays
Like A Virgin - 9 plays
Hard Candy - 8 plays

Total plays since May
Madonna - 473
Rihanna - 438
Prince - 244
Britney - 154
AlunaGeorge - 124
Kanye - 108
Gaga - 105
Annie - 81
Katy - 77
Janet - 77
Janelle - 72
Taylor - 66
HAIM - 59
Lana - 52
Kylie - 47
Nicki - 41
Xtina - 38
Michael - 32
Mariah - 26
Beyoncé - 19

Kyon

Banned
Male Legend we all like hm 👸

When's the last time we all AGREED on something tho... Let alone a MALE ARTIST. 😭

royalan

Unfortunately this is not true. The reason why I say that is because when lady Gaga in the fame era was just "crazy and ridiculous" she, imo, was making her music speak for her along with the image that people didn't understand. People thought all her efforts were just crazy to the point it was getting predictable and I think she have learned that people might appreciate her better if she explained somehow why she had those, though of, crazy outfits and the such.

I disagree.

I think Gaga is more predictable now than she has ever been as far as her image goes. People may not know EXACTLY what she's going to come out on stage wearing, but they know it's going to be something bonkers and overloaded. And I think her desire to explain everything just comes off as pretentious.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This is what I was thinking tbh.

It best not be
It is DEPLORABLE when all the other rats do it and I hold gaga to a much higher standard than the like of Bieber and Akon.

Bowie could be a good one but I dont see it being Elton given his recent comments
He's such a shady queen

edit; this gta pop radio is so shady
Play an advert talking about how nostalgia is the best then put on Gimme More. The cheek

I disagree.

I think Gaga is more predictable now than she has ever been as far as her image goes. People may not know EXACTLY what she's going to come out on stage wearing, but they know it's going to be something bonkers and overloaded. And I think her desire to explain everything just comes off as pretentious.

I feel like if she doesn't she's not going to be taken seriously. I think she wants to be more than a "crazy lady in a crazy outfit". That's currently who she known as. She's not Lady Gaga the "artist" and she's trying to explain that. That's far from pretentious.

I like to use Miley as an example because currently she's doing the same thing. Yes, she is using her body as her image to show off that she is grown and can do what she wants, etc. People aren't getting it and tack on names rather than try to understand it. That's the state of pop music these days. If it's not simple, it's crazy or outrageous, seeking attention or pretentious. Kanye is one of those who experiences that daily.

I think real artist talk about what their music is about, how much it means to them, their concept behind their ideas including visuals. People who don't are obviously just a money machine and are nothing but a robot to their record labels. They don't know what they are making and pretty much enjoy singing or whatever than making it and understanding it.

Partition

Banned
I think real artist talk about what their music is about, how much it means to them, their concept behind their ideas including visuals. People who don't are obviously just a money machine and are nothing but a robot to their record labels. They don't know what they are making and pretty much enjoy singing or whatever than making it and understanding it.

There's a lot of people here who rihfuse to admit that

B-Dex

SCREAMING
was playing GTA V took a stripper to the back for a private dance and Gimme More comes on as soon as the tits came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom