• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Fashion! is Gaga's best song in years.

This Disco/Dance realness I just cannot stand it right now.

From the piano intro, to the constant build-up, to the explosive middle 8...

This is what a coherent, cohesive pop gem sounds like.

FASHION!

ogRVvVv.gif

botty

Banned
ARTPOP
Sexxx Dreams
Donatella
G.U.Y
Do What You Want

Born This Way
ARTPOP
Venus
Mary Jane Holland

Fame Monster
Gypsy
Aura
Applause
Manicure
Fashion

The Fame
Swine
Jewels N' Drugs

Marry The Night
Dope

Pretty much same as Cyno.

Her ARTPOP Is Real:
G.U.Y.
Sexxx Dreams
MANiCURE
ARTPOP
Donatella
Gypsy
Mary Jane Holland
Do What U Want

Bops:
Venus
Swine
Aura (minus the re-done first verse)

Light Bops:
Jewels n' Drugs
Applause

I Could Maybe Use This at Some Point in the Future:
Fashion!

Xtincta Level Wretchedness:
Dope

First impressions, I'll give each song a quick one sentence review based on my limited exposure:

1) Aura - The new vocals are growing on me, honestly the only great way to start off an album named "ARTPOP"

2) Venus - Manic, outrageous, hilarious, fragmented, a bit messy but that's Gaga. Perfection nonetheless

3) G.U.Y. - A LOT of gears grinding in this one, sort of hard to put together. Definitely has about 5 of the 10 brightest moments on the whole album though

4) Sexxx Dreams - Chorus feels ruined with the overlaid vocals. Improved bridge, this is still a grower

5) Jewels n Drugs - A cool moment, nothing more

6) MANiCURE - Epic, very Karen O. Kind of ends too quickly, almost to the point where it didn't need to be here

7) Do What U Want - Gaga's Human Nature moment. Love it for what it is, another grower

8) ARTPOP - Great like I expected it to be. Most likely the song I'll be playing most down the road

9) Swine - Feels a bit dialed down from the epic live performance, but I still live for it. Love the overt piggy-themed instrumentals

10) Donatella - Fierce, ferocious, lovely. The Fame reincarnated and improved. Definite highlight

11) Fashion! - As of right now, the only "bad" song on this album. Not offensive by any means, and some cool moments, but Gaga's vocals clash with this smooth production the whole way through

12) Mary Jane Holland - Just fucking lovely. Strongest verses on the album I think... she got her Mercury moment in that bridge. Juuuust lovely

13) Dope - Haunting, raw, ironic, self-aware. Such a shocker of a song, and it seems like the kind of song not a lot of people will appreciate. A genuine moment for her, this one.

14) Gypsy - What, the, FUUUUUUUCK. This needs to be single number three and that's it. Spectacular and actually really moving. Listening to this reminded me of why I love this girl so much. She's just full of surprises. I genuinely love this.

15) Applause - Like Aura, operates best as a bookend and that's about it. A solid song nonetheless

royalan

First impressions, I'll give each song a quick one sentence review based on my limited exposure:

1) Aura - The new vocals are growing on me, honestly the only great way to start off an album named "ARTPOP"

2) Venus - Manic, outrageous, hilarious, fragmented, a bit messy but that's Gaga. Perfection nonetheless

3) G.U.Y. - A LOT of gears grinding in this one, sort of hard to put together. Definitely has about 5 of the 10 brightest moments on the whole album though

4) Sexxx Dreams - Chorus feels ruined with the overlaid vocals. Improved bridge, this is still a grower

5) Jewels n Drugs - A cool moment, nothing more

6) MANiCURE - Epic, very Karen O. Kind of ends too quickly, almost to the point where it didn't need to be here

7) Do What U Want - Gaga's Human Nature moment. Love it for what it is, another grower

8) ARTPOP - Great like I expected it to be. Most likely the song I'll be playing most down the road

9) Swine - Feels a bit dialed down from the epic live performance, but I still live for it. Love the overt piggy-themed instrumentals

10) Donatella - Fierce, ferocious, lovely. The Fame reincarnated and improved. Definite highlight

11) Fashion! - As of right now, the only "bad" song on this album. Not offensive by any means, and some cool moments, but Gaga's vocals clash with this smooth production the whole way through

12) Mary Jane Holland - Just fucking lovely. Strongest verses on the album I think... she got her Mercury moment in that bridge. Juuuust lovely

13) Dope - Haunting, raw, ironic, self-aware. Such a shocker of a song, and it seems like the kind of song not a lot of people will appreciate. A genuine moment for her, this one.

14) Gypsy - What, the, FUUUUUUUCK. This needs to be single number three and that's it. Spectacular and actually really moving. Listening to this reminded me of why I love this girl so much. She's just full of surprises. I genuinely love this.

15) Applause - Like Aura, operates best as a bookend and that's about it. A solid song nonetheless

LOL - sis, you're a mess.

<3<3<3 you.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

educate

ibwIiC4nzwyP2V.gif

royalan

Fashion! is also Gaga's best vocal on the album.

Very full and theatrical. Fitting for the song's theme. Gives me more David Bowie teas than that mess Venus.

I OWN THE WOOORLLLD

WE OWN THE WOOORLLLDDDD!!!

ogRVvVv.gif

Swine is HORRENDOUS, how is it not the first 'bad' song?

Imagine dancing to it in a club and it'll come together for you, lol

My problem with Fashion! is that it doesn't complement Donatella the way Dope compliments Mary Jane Holland. Donatella covers the whole high-flair, runway fierce sound she's going for, making Fashion! kind of a redundant cut. It's like one long outro from Donatella that's just a bunch of blanket statements. It's the definition of a bad pop song. There's no point to it.

The transition from Mary Jane Holland to Dope is fantastic because it's a yin and yang. Mary Jane Holland is the impressionable "I'm invincible" perspective and Dope is the sober "no I'm not" confessional.

And ya'll hating on Dope, I can't. It's pure raw power. None of our other pop girls can pull off a song like this with such grit and battered wisdom. Except, well, Lana.

Koodo

Banned
Gaga's vocals ruin Dope, which is strange since her vocals elevate the rest of the album to iconic heights. Her larynx was thriving under the harshest conditions during that song.

My preliminary fave song is Gay Under You.

royalan

Imagine dancing to it in a club and it'll come together for you, lol

My problem with Fashion! is that it doesn't complement Donatella the way Dope compliments Mary Jane Holland. Donatella covers the whole high-flair, runway fierce sound she's going for, making Fashion! kind of a redundant cut. It's like one long outro from Donatella that's just a bunch of blanket statements. It's the definition of a bad pop song. There's no point to it.

The transition from Mary Jane Holland to Dope is fantastic because it's a yin and yang. Mary Jane Holland is the impressionable "I'm invincible" perspective and Dope is the sober "no I'm not" confessional.

And ya'll hating on Dope, I can't. It's pure raw power. None of our other pop girls can pull off a song like this with such grit and battered wisdom. Except, well, Lana.

Personally, I love how Donatella transitions into Fashion!. I was raving about it on twitter when GAF went down. A perfect "glitter and gold" combo.

I don't think that you have to play yin to a song's yang in order to complement it. I love how Fashion! continues the ostentatiousness of Donatella in a more mellow way. That, and I don't think Gaga's vocals were as in-sync with a song's production more strongly than in Fashion! Maybe in Jewels n' Drugs. But, other than that, my one central complaint of ARTPOP's bad songs is that Gaga seems to be fighting the production with her vocals.

3phemeral

I will not be deterred by these reviews. I will hold out and remain calm and serene with adamantium-like strength of discipline. I will not be coerced into finding the HQ streams.

iOHSU9W9aLyyM.gif

cory64

NAWT Honey Mahogany.

But you're right.

Stop with the caftan singles, Gaga.

"Gaga says she's got all these songs, where are they? We can't keep waiting week after week and giving her a chance if she's not bringing it out"
"You can't put out a best-best-best single like EVERY single time, you know what I mean? The sound doesn't really matter in Gagatopia"

Yup, the only song I'm still not enjoying is Dope. The title lead me to think it'd be a totally different sound. Fashion! is still a little eh to me, otherwise this is the first Gaga album where I can say I've solidly enjoyed nearly all tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom