• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

No shade, but I agree with Cyno about SoHyang, tbh. I've never been impressed by her. Her tone is incredibly amateur. She's has about zero artistry to the way she approaches singing. She's a vocal mimic with no soul of her own.

There's more to being a great singer than just your range. That girl is the vocal equivalent of a dishwasher.

I don't think it's fair to say, "There's more to being a great singer than just your range," as if that's the reason anyone considers her a great singer. If you've watched that video WestVoice uploaded, particularly this section, you'd see that she's got incredible versatility and artistry in the way she approaches songs. If she has any faults, it's a bit of tastelessness with adding in unnecessary high belts in some covered material, but that doesn't justify accusing her of being the vocal equivalent of a dishwasher.

And SoHyang has a fantastic lyric soprano voice. I know, I know. You don't like the tone. It sounds "amateur" to you. But speaking of her voice as an instrument, it is phenomenal - there's a handful of singers who can do the things she does, and I can't really think of another lyric soprano. This focus on tone and whether it is "amateur" is frankly a distraction from her abilities as a singer and a vocalist. She can only use the instrument that she has; it happens to have a lot of good qualities (size, range, connectedness), but whether you like the sound of the instrument isn't really important when talking about how she uses it. It's a bit of an odd instrument, actually. While she does have the full-lyric size, color, evenness in long vocal lines, etc., she also achieves a lot of size in her upper belt, and she's able to sustain those high belts and forte / fortissimo for a really long time. If you compare her to, say, Lara Fabian, another flawless lyric soprano, Lara doesn't stay at that super high tessitura with that intensity for that long. And it's not like SoHyang is spending her capital instead of her interest with her voice doing this; she's 35 and sounds better in recent years than in her earlier performances.

It is also a beautiful tone, with great clarity. It might be a bit too "white" in color, and lack some of the textured quality of a soprano with a voice with more color to it, but I think it's beautiful for what it is.

Not you shading world-class technique because you think the tone is amateur when you stan the opposite, sis

I'll post links from two different videos that showcases this. She actually uses this for more than some of the higher belts, so maybe it's just how she sings those particular vowel sounds. I'll emphasize the section of the word where she starts lower and ramps up to the peak:

I don't listen to enough of her performances to know what she relies on or whether it's a crutch, but I do hear it in both of those MYHWGO performances, which is why I included it. Maybe it's just something she does on particular vowel sounds to gradually ease herself into a more open tone.

When I listened again, I paid more attention and noticed some of the uncomfortable melismatic moments. I think those are just caused by insufficient ease with pronouncing English words and trying to add vocal effects at the same time. As you've seen, she clearly has the vocal chops to sing those things.

As for the scooping, I'm thinking it might be the same thing? In many of those examples, I didn't even hear it as scooping (either scooping notes or doing crescendos; I think you're using those interchangeably?) but as minor difficulties with pronouncing the words.

Oh, I know it's subjective. :) It's like Regine Velasquez and Mariah. Regine clearly has mastery of her instrument, but when she does Mariah covers, I can't help but think that despite her hitting all the notes, there's a soulless, mechanical execution to the way it's all performed.

Time out.

Regine is mediocre. Period. She has a good-sized voice, and she's somehow not managed to destroy her voice, but that doesn't mean she's got mastery of her instrument. She occasionally does some things right, sure, but if you compare her with SoHyang you should hear how often she's not actually hitting a note properly - you'll hear this tension and thinness to her belts that disappears when you hear SoHyang.

SoHyang becomes shrill to my ears after once she hits her D5s, but below that, it's soft and quite magical. There are cases where her tone doesn't seem as harsh, like that run she did at the beginning of the Virtuosity video where the way she sings that line where the melody trumps whatever focus I'd have on her tone. It's beautifully executed.

She can have some harshness in the upper belt, maybe, but I don't think she ever loses a musical tones. I don't think she has these tonal issues as early as Eb5, though. In fact, that Fate performance has one of my most favorite Eb5-E5 transitions ever here - the vibrato on that E5 is so intense.

Wow at this. That B5! You're right, MHWGO is beneath her capabilities.

[Edit] OMG, THIS WAS LIVE?

iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png
iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png
iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png
iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png

I'm so using this song.

Yes, it was live. And she does that stuff in every live performance I've found of the song. Like this!

[Double edit] This song has ended me. The melody, the emotion, her belts, the tension, the flawless transition from falsetto down into her chest, this belt where you think she can't go any higher, but she does and THEN she does a run, and the way she ends it! I'm sorry, Artpop, but I have been thoroughly slain.

Stan a bit.

These are some of my favorite performances;

You Raise Me Up
The Prayer
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Jesus Loves Me
I Will Follow Him
There Is None Like Him (Korean)
O Holy Night
The Power of Love
Will You Be There
As I Live (Bad English subtitles)
Dream (")
The Only Thing (")
Someday
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Never Ending Story (")
White Christmas (a cappella)
Over The Rainbow
Where Are You (Korean)
In The Flower Garden (Korean)
Upon This Rock
Don't Forget Me
A Goose's Dream
Mermaid (And this!)
whatever this song is called
A Love Until The End of Time
Beautiful Things

The Only Thing and Someday are probably the furthest from The Fate for something Korean and different from that.

Artemisia

Banned
I agree with Roy, the first time Mumei posted a SoHyang video in here and was praising it I thought she was being sarcastic.

Her taste has been in shambles ever since she rejected the new vocal legend, Ms Grande.

oop3iyore.gif

royalan

^^ Maybe it's because I don't know her native language and can't pick out any improvisational abilities or personal style in her covers.

Also, I'm not a big fan of her tone in her upper belts. Really shrill and whiny, while at the same time maintaining this really odd breathy quality, and I don't think she keeps a lot of size in her upper belts. Her voice gets noticeably tight.

Actually, as a recent example, I thought Michelle Williams sounded a lot fuller hitting the same notes, and isn't she a lyric?

Eh, I've just never been impressed.

I had a moment with ARTPOP when I was working out earlier.

iGFSDy4KVmMMT.png

Sexxx Dreams
Donatella
Mary Jane Holland
G.U.Y
ARTPOP

Literally some of Gaga's best songs. I can't pick a favorite, they're all too good.

3phemeral

When I listened again, I paid more attention and noticed some of the uncomfortable melismatic moments. I think those are just caused by insufficient ease with pronouncing English words and trying to add vocal effects at the same time. As you've seen, she clearly has the vocal chops to sing those things.

I'm not disagreeing. I've yet to hear enough of her catalog to make that determination for myself, but I certainly now won't use covers as English seems to be something that modifies her singing somewhat.

As for the scooping, I'm thinking it might be the same thing? In many of those examples, I didn't even hear it as scooping (either scooping notes or doing crescendos; I think you're using those interchangeably?) but as minor difficulties with pronouncing the words.
After watching "Fate," I'm tending to agree with this. Seems she has no difficulty with those difficult belted runs or transitions in Korean.

Time out.

Regine is mediocre. Period. She has a good-sized voice, and she's somehow not managed to destroy her voice, but that doesn't mean she's got mastery of her instrument. She occasionally does some things right, sure, but if you compare her with SoHyang you should hear how often she's not actually hitting a note properly - you'll hear this tension and thinness to her belts that disappears when you hear SoHyang.
=-/ Regine's runs are so bad. It's been a while since I've listened to her (I was just starting to learn about vocal technique then). But mediocre? I'm not sure if it's the clips as Regine doesn't really have he benefit modern girls have today of HQ recording sessions, but they came off similarly in terms of sustained belts. However, I will say that So Hyang definitely has more ease and flexibility up there, a superior head voice, and seeming resonance (could be HQ difference).

After re-watching, Regine seems to struggle a bit at A5, but I hear similar tension in So Hyang's B5

What's difficult to tell is their tone's have this similar quality the higher they go. It becomes difficult (for me at least), to hear what's strained and what's just natural sound production.

She can have some harshness in the upper belt, maybe, but I don't think she ever loses a musical tones. I don't think she has these tonal issues as early as Eb5, though. In fact, that Fate performance has one of my most favorite Eb5-E5 transitions ever here - the vibrato on that E5 is so intense.

What I'm curious about is how you can tell natural vibrato (ease and proper breath support/relaxed vocal) with one that is forcibly produced (undulating a muscle in the back of the throat). As when I'm singing (and I know Roy should be able to chime in here), you can further enhance a natural vibrato with a forced one, or just use the forced one entirely. I've reason to believe hers is natural, even on that E5, but the thought just popped into my head.

Yes, it was live. And she does that stuff in every live performance I've found of the song. Like this!
By bf actually found the "I Am A Singer" performance here. He wanted me to combine it with the video since it abruptly stops at her last belt and fades out but I couldn't sync them. It was either remastered/modifed or the original video is speeding up the time a bit, but that audio-only version is a few seconds slower. Maybe you'll be able to hear a few differences :)

I'll see what I can use from these :) I'm surprised you have so many! I'm hoping there are more I can use from her than Lara Fabian, as the only LF songs that have truly gripped me are her Je Suis Malade and Adagio.
Though, I sometimes use The Dream Within /FF fan mode off.

Aura sis, Miryo + Narsha subunit is coming. dragrace_tamar_getchalife.gif

Also, Bieber got hit with a flying water bottle? Hasn't that happened before. /shrugs/

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That was actually very good.

LM once again showing their superiority to Fifth Harmony. Better singers, better dancers, better music.

You didn't lie. Little Mix just grow on me after each single, they're turning out to be really solid

Lady Gaga - Dope (YTMA)
You can hear what she was muttering at the start now

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hannah Hunt is just tew much for words I mean
Yall need to get in position to receive Ezra's scripture.

Yes, stan. I honestly think that Ezra Koenig and Rostam Batmanglij are the best pop songwriters since Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. Their knack for writing a melody is simply unmatchedT by any currently living writers.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Some blasphemic shit right there.

It's true though. Ezra and Rostam are simply some next-level shit. Although VW obviously don't have the popular appeal of ABBA or The Beatles, I would certainly place them one as one of the few bands that could possibly be put on the same level, in terms of their songwriting ability (although, of course, The Beatles are simply transcendentally better than virtually every other pop/rock group for a number of other reasons).

They're three albums in and yet to put out a single song that can be reasonably called a duffer. Their albums are crammed full of hooks, catchy melodies and impeccable lyricism. There simply is not another songwriting team that can match them for their quality and consistency.

Gaze ye upon their talent and seethe.

[edit] Arcade Fire's Afterlife performance punching out your faves. One of the best cuts from their new album set to a 'live music video' at the YouTube awards. My excitement for next week is PALPABLE and OOZING.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Gaga her undeniable power.
She was my revision soundtrack for an exam that I managed to finish in five minutes.
iOHSU9W9aLyyM.gif

JCX

That Dope song is nowhere near as bad as some of you made it out to be. It's one of the few songs not synthesized within an inch of its life.

Afterlife might be my song of the year. It's like No Cars Go + Wake Up.

Matt_

Tempted to order the physical release because the booklet looks so classy

um so are we supposed to like this bitch ali on pretty little liars? every scene she's in makes me more and more glad that she's dead. only just started season 2 and i remember why i quit after season 1; their hopeless fanaticism for a completely repulsive harpy.

i dont think she's racist, but i think she's a stupid 16 year old with some half-baked thoughts that may or may not come from sincere stupidity or ignorant racism

...I don't think adding a half-second off climax at the end of the song undermines what I said.

But different strokes for different folks.

SoHyang is the equivalent of a day-old baguette, imo. Stale.
Sorry roy, but you're just wrong.

Listen to this amazing (and 100% LIVE) performance. The way she controls the weight of her voice is incredible - she's a beast. Everything after 2:45 is just out of this world, freakishly amazing for someone with her type of voice. She's doing things that she physically should not be able to do.

What you call tonally unpleasing is totally intentional on her part, to show the exhaustion and tension the lyrics convey. Unlike your shrill fave, whose vocal flaws are about as stylistically deliberate as the time she menstruated on stage.

This doesn't even address the precise volume control she exhibits in so many of her performances. She's totally up there with Mariah/Whitney/Beyonce as far as technical mastery of her craft.

royalan

Sorry roy, but you're just wrong.

Listen to this amazing (and 100% LIVE) performance. The way she controls the weight of her voice is incredible - she's a beast. Everything after 2:45 is just out of this world, freakishly amazing for someone with her type of voice. She's doing things that she physically should not be able to do.

What you call tonally unpleasing is totally intentional on her part, to show the exhaustion and tension the lyrics convey. Unlike your shrill fave, whose vocal flaws are about as stylistically deliberate as the time she menstruated on stage.

This doesn't even address the precise volume control she exhibits in so many of her performances. She's totally up there with Mariah/Whitney/Beyonce as far as technical mastery of her craft.

If the things she was doing were physically impossible, she wouldn't be doing them. Let's stop with the la-la-land speak.

Sorry. Just not impressed with SoHyang and her dull broadway stylings. Not special.

I'll go back to listening to my shrill fave.

Kyon

Banned
Kiii. But seriously, what a horrible motif for a love song. No wonder she got dumped.

O so it was true? Lasted longer than I thought it would. Idk how anyone normal can be in a relationship with her. Although a childhood friend or something could work. Or she could get LÜCky again someday who knows

Kiii. But seriously, what a horrible motif for a love song. No wonder she got dumped.

How did she get dumped when she was hanging out with him through the night thereafter? lol

Day three, here's how I rank the ARTPOP songs:

Top tier: Literally keeping this shit on repeat
1) Gypsy
2) Dope
3) Fashion! (upset of the century!)
4) G.U.Y.

Second tier: So good it hurts, so I don't play you enough for top tier. But maybe later!
5) Donatella
6) Mary Jane Holland
7) ARTPOP
8) Venus (one of my favorites but getting less attention right now obv)

Third tier: Love the songs, but paying them relative dust. But maybe later! Also known as the Swinefest anxiety tier
9) MANiCURE
10) Swine
11) Jewels n Drugs
12) Sexxx Dreams

Bottom tier: Not really getting any attention right now, because they have been listened to 1,000 times prior
13) Aura
14) Do What U Want
15) Applause

So yeah good album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom