• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMt.

I'm not sure how I'd rank ARTPOP in her discography yet. All I know is it's definitely better than The Fame.

I feel that Born This Way had higher highs but it also had far more wretched lows.

Better than Born This Way for you?

I feel like ARTPOP doesnt have as many standouts as BTW, but it is a much more balanced album across the board; it isnt like that shit-okay-shit-great feeling when listening to BTW from start to finish.

Hard to tell so far... Born This Way's highest moments probably hit me harder but the quality on ARTPOP is crazy. Literally no songs I don't love. Whereas with Born This Way there were 3 or 4 songs from the start that I didn't care for.

ARTPOP is similar to TFM for me... high quality all the way through but no song hit me like The Edge of Glory. Gypsy and Alejandro come dangerously close though.

Artemisia

Banned
The middle eastern version of ARTPOP

13UAEIM12471.600x600-75.jpg

not them censoring a statue's legs

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

Mumei

If the things she was doing were physically impossible, she wouldn't be doing them. Let's stop with the la-la-land speak.

Sorry. Just not impressed with SoHyang and her dull broadway stylings. Not special.

I'll go back to listening to my shrill fave.

Broadway? I'm convinced you aren't actually listening to any of the evidence submitted at this point. But it's okay; you just get ready for my response tonight!

Partition

Banned
She will never top Born This Way unless she is in a dark place again (breakup, drug abuse, etc.)

She wasnt really in a dark place when she wrote BTW though, you can definitely argue she was in a darker place during ARTPOP. I think it just depends on the album she wants to create.

I feel like Gaga will be starting a trend in her career where she will make an objectively more artistic album, followed by something more commerical, and repeat. Apparently Gaga has already spoke of the next 2 albums, so she seems like she knows what she wants to do.

SaintZ

Gerls im seeling Lana tonight. Im in line already even tho there's still 7 hours to go for the show and it's crowded already :weeps: wish me luck tonight ill try to take pics :weeps:

3phemeral

The way Gaga's voice breaks a biT and then she comes back with a belt in Do What U Want's pre-chorus is such a momenT.

I love the build for Fashion! I also love the build on MANiCURE where she goes, "I need to heal, the way, the way, the way you make me FEEEEEEEEEEEEL." But I can't help but think of how epic it would be if she ramped it up to an F5, though (but not sure if she's capable of sustaining a note that high, especially with that closed vowel sound).

Artemisia

Banned
I love the build for Fashion! I also love the build on MANiCURE where she goes, "the way, the way, the way, the way you make me FEEEEEEEEEEEEL." But I can't help but think of how epic it would be if she ramped it up to an F5, though (but not sure if she's capable of sustaining a note that high, especially with that closed vowel sound).

I don't know exactly what an F5 sounds like, but I think I get your point and feel the same way.

There's also sections in the second verse where I wish she would stick to the melody of the song rather than chopping it up. "Cause I'm the... chick who's/You're the... medicine" idk, it just bothers me, makes it hard to sing along to.

3phemeral

I don't know exactly what an F5 sounds like, but I think I get your point and feel the same way.

There's also sections in the second verse where I wish she would stick to the melody of the song rather than chopping it up. "Cause I'm the... chick who's/You're the... medicine" idk, it just bothers me, makes it hard to sing along to.

I tried humming it myself to see where the proper note would hit and while looking for references, I came to the conclusion it was an F5, which is an amazingly high belt. I could be wrong, but it sounded like the right note she would need to hit to my ears. The one she belts is rather low and saps some of the release I was anticipating.

I agree with the chopped melody. I had already committed to the iTunes performance, but I suppose it wasn't so bad after hearing that LQ leak of that specific section. It does delay the rhythm a bit, but I'm surprised it hasn't bothered me enough to really dislike to track as I love so many other additions.

One thing I'll say is that I really dislike how they muted/muddied her voice. A lot of what gave them a nice touch was how she handled them live. I suppose this means I'll look forward to live performances of them, but Artpop will forever remain exclusively iTunes festival for me.

Yeah I'm kind of really surprised she made the "hee hee" so faint, and then completely removed in the final chorus. It really added so much zen to the song.

Kind of wished the iTunes Festival never happened to be honest. The live versions of these songs are so much better. Except for Aura and Applause, lol

Artemisia

Banned
Fashion! is growing on me tbh. I'm beginning to see the light Roy and Soulscibe have been professing about. The piano bit that plays throughout the song is gorgeous.

PyjXVcL.gif

Partition

Banned
The latter part of ARTPOP is such a holy experience. It completely obliterates what comes before it. What kind of opposite of PRISM.

Donatella
Fashion!
Mary Jane Holland
Dope
Gypsy

Every one of these tracks punches.

Only Gaga could muster up such varying opinions about her songs. Lol

Saw Sexxx Dreams get called album filler AND album highlight within a few posts of each other. And of course people are divided evenly on Venus, Aura and Fashion!

When she clicks with you it really gels, but when she doesn't click with you it sounds offensively bad ;___;

Partition

Banned
Having mixed feelings about Gypsy.

image.php

It may be debatable on whether or not Gypsy is her best ballad (I think it is), but there is no contest for it being her best ballad lyrically speaking
BuyQ1l2.gif

So I said; "I don't wanna be alone forever"
But I can be tonight
I don't wanna be alone forever
But I love a gypsy life

I'm a man without a home
But I think with you I can spend my life
And you'll be my little gypsy princess
Pack your bags and chase the sunset
Bust the rearview and fire up the jets
'Cause it's you and me
Baby, for life

oprah5.gif
oprah5.gif
oprah5.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Afterlife, I think I saw what happens next
It was just a glimpse of you, like looking through a window
Or a shallow sea
Could you see me?
And after all this time
It's like nothing else we used to know
After all the hangers-on are done hanging on to the dead lights
Of the afterglow

I gotta know
Can we work it out?
Let's scream and shout 'till we work it out
Can we just work it out?
Scream and shout 'till we work it out?

ibyA3lUc4OMCt1.gif

This whole album tbh

PyjXVcL.gif

Artemisia

Banned
With how much Gaga spoke about her new collaborators on ARTPOP, I expected a lot more involvement from Zedd and Madeon. DJWS has such an immense presence on the album, he's responsible for half of it. I can't help but see this as a bad thing. Zedd and Madeon's work on (and off) the album obliterates his. They should have been given more chances to do their thing.

Yado

It may be debatable on whether or not Gypsy is her best ballad (I think it is), but there is no contest for it being her best ballad lyrically speaking
BuyQ1l2.gif

So I said; "I don't wanna be alone forever"
But I can be tonight
I don't wanna be alone forever
But I love a gypsy life

I'm a man without a home
But I think with you I can spend my life
And you'll be my little gypsy princess
Pack your bags and chase the sunset
Bust the rearview and fire up the jets
'Cause it's you and me
Baby, for life

oprah5.gif
oprah5.gif
oprah5.gif

I shouldn't have placed it in my lowest tier, it may not be my cup of tea but it didn't deserve to rub shoulders with Dope. I think it would make a great single and it should have been the closing track on the album.
BuyQ1l2.gif

Partition

Banned
With how much Gaga spoke about her new collaborators on ARTPOP, I expected a lot more involvement from Zedd and Madeon. DJWS has such an immense presence on the album, he's responsible for half of it. I can't help but see this as a bad thing. Zedd and Madeon's work on (and off) the album obliterates his. They should have been given more chances to do their thing.

I agree, I am worried that her efforts with DJWS won't cease for the next album, too. She needs to let Madeon take the reigns, or hell I can't believe I'm saying this, but after Fashion! I could care less if another basic took over.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But you say
Oh
When love is gone
Where does it go?
And you say
Oh
When love is gone
Where does it go?
And where do we go?
Where do we go?
Where do we go?
Where do we go?

ivOJxgcFmufuI.gif

This performance is everything, I can't

Yado

I feel like featuring another artist on Sexxx Dreams would have elevated it.

image.php

One of those middle aged rockers or something.

image.php

Cynosure

I cry every time I hear Sexxx Dreams, its just so emotional the way she ruined it. Like what the hell is that bridge

iZWem1DzW8vIb.gif

I still love it. All Swinefest songs have been improved, especially manicure.
ARTPOP was a bit underwhelming tho. The bridge is a little toned down and makes the way she sounds bored stand out.

iZWem1DzW8vIb.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ARTPOP was a bit underwhelming tho. The bridge is a little toned down and makes the way she sounds bored stand out.

I don't see why anyone thinks she sounds boring on ARTPOP. She's serving up glacial Debbie Harry realness.

I'm pretty sure this is the only cultural touchstone on the album she actually intends rather than ones Monsters are just attributing to her to make her seem like a genius tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom