• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
But sis, didn't you applaud "Scream and Paranoid Schizophrenia" when it started charting after being aired on X-Floptor?

lanagifkaszx.gif

There, there baby it's just textbook stuff
It's in the ABC of growing up
Now, now darling
Oh don't lose your head
'Cause none of us were angels and you know I love you
Yeahhhhhhh

It's just textbook stuff
It's in the ABC of growing up
Now, now darling
Oh don't kill yourself
'Cause none of us were angels and you know I love you
Yeah

Destroy me, Imogesus.
jbnRmusNOXoAIp.png

Oh um, anyone who stans Perfume/Capsule with a little bit of OT making experience out there? Thinking of making a PTA/Capsule stan thread.

And Nem, obv it's KeЋha.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The album is horrible. Trust me, 70% of the people who like it only listen to Eminem. Imagine how lost and behind the times a pop fan would be if he only listened to Beyonce. That's what it's like to be an Eminem fan in 2013.

The drop best me huge and Gaga best get that number one

You've been awfully quiet lately. I notice you haven't posted your thoughts on pop's latest release

ibnKNwJxYerVzA.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The kesha shade is unwarranted and unfounded. You shall repent in the afterlife.

Glee - Applause Can't work out if I hate it or like it. The vocals are 'aight but they've changed the production and it isn't for the better :biblio:

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The kesha shade is unwarranted and unfounded. You shall repent in the afterlife.

Glee - Applause Can't work out if I hate it or like it. The vocals are 'aight but they've changed the production and it isn't for the better :biblio:

The chorus is actually better. The bridge is still the only bit of the song that truly slays tho.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You don't find the lyrics to be funny and camp? The lines are hilarious, and she delivers them with so much gravitas, lol

"Suddenly the Koons is me" always makes me chuckle.

I think they're very funny, for sure, but I also think that they were intended to be far cleverer than they actually are (being that they are borderline nonsense). But they even scan poorly, particularly the second verse. The verses are lyrically a mess.

royalan

^^ Exactly. The lines aren't entertaining when they don't make sense in any context AND mess up the flow of the song. That's Applause's problem.

"Slap honey on a young pancake. We know how to make that money." Now that's how you do a silly line.

I think they're very funny, for sure, but I also think that they were intended to be far cleverer than they actually are (being that they are borderline nonsense). But they even scan poorly, particularly the second verse. The verses are lyrically a mess.

I think given the other (intentionally) funny lyrics and delivery through the album that she's aware of how ridiculous the lyrics are. She has an honest meaning behind them, surely, but I think she's much more aware and ironic than people give her credit for. I think she's just embracing her ridiculousness and purposely pumping it up to full gear. I think if you approach the verses knowing the goofy lyrics are totally calculated, you'd appreciate them more. But hey maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I think one of my favorite moments on the album is when she's narrating a sexual encounter in the bridge of GUY. "And Mars' warm spirit... RAMS... into the atmosphere!"... now that's fucking funny. lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
^^ Exactly. The lines aren't entertaining when they don't make sense in any context AND mess up the flow of the song. That's Applause's problem.

"Slap honey on a young pancake. We know how to make that money." Now that's how you do a silly line.

Or even Venus. They're daft as hell but they fit the song, they fit the mood, it's a big singalong, you can belt the lyrics in your own room.

Applause has none of that.

I don't think Applause has the same kind of hammy mood as Venus and that's because it's much more focused and the production is simple. I think when there's so much emphasis on the words and delivery in the song, that the way the lyrics are coming off is important. Whereas with Venus the crazy lyrics get lost in the loud production, with Applause the vocals are totally center stage in the verses. I think because of that you're noticing the crazy lyrics and there isn't enough camp in the background or in the production to balance it out.

I think there's a certain energy to the lyrics in Applause that makes it work. It's just a series of mad statements delivered by a performer who's, well, gone mad for applause. It works for the narrative imo.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think Applause has the same kind of hammy mood as Venus and that's because it's much more focused and the production is simple. I think when there's so much emphasis on the words and delivery in the song, that the way the lyrics are coming off is important. Whereas with Venus the crazy lyrics get lost in the loud production, with Applause the vocals are totally center stage in the verses. I think because of that you're noticing the crazy lyrics and there isn't enough camp in the background or in the production to balance it out.

I think there's a certain energy to the lyrics in Applause that makes it work. It's just a series of mad statements delivered by a performer who's, well, gone mad for applause. It works for the narrative imo.

See, that's what I don't buy into: that every time Gaga sounds like she's knobbing something up it's actually totally intentional. Much better artists have made bigger missteps in songwriting (Paul McCartney's post-Beatles career is something akin to a drunken stagger between crap and brilliance, and he's probably the best living songwriter).

To my ear, there's a marked difference in quality between Gaga intentionally being campy (Venus) and unintentionally being ridiculous (Applause).

Lady Gaga to Sing in Space in 2015

No one ever said she was down-to-earth! In early 2015, Lady Gaga will become the first artist to sing in outer space, Us Weekly can exclusively reveal.
The "Dope" performer, 27, is set to blast off in a Virgin Galactic ship and belt out a single track during the Zero G Colony tech festival in New Mexico. "She has to do a month of vocal training because of the atmosphere," says a source, who adds that the diva's glam squad will join her in the shuttle.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/lady-gaga-to-sing-in-space-in-2015-2013611

i dont know if this is a joke or not, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom