• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
Now it all makes sense. Gaga is copying Sarah Brightman this era. I knew all this seemed familiar.

Sarah's already gonna sing in space

My faves are so in sync

Artemisia

Banned
The 23-year-old popstar, who has been nominated for an incredible eight nominations at this year's American Country Awards, has revealed she has already penned “a lot” of songs for the new album.

In an interview with Capital FM, Swift explained: "Now that I've written a lot of songs for the next album, I'm dying for people to hear it.

"It's so weird to be still promoting Red and I'm so proud of Red and I'm creating something that's so different from Red."

The 'I Knew You Were Trouble' singer is hoping her new music will take a different direction, as she explained: "It's so cool because I'm so appreciative of the success of 'Red' but I know that if I want to have success with something else I can't make 'Red 2.0'.

“I have to make something completely new and something that if you were to hear a song from it you'd go 'Oh that's not from 'Red', that's from the new one'.”

dfl;kmglsdfglsdfgsdfgkfdg yall aren't ready

r9fN6.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm sure the elderly are quivering with excitement for this new country album.
iGaiPgKRRfrPc.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
A departure would be lovely.

And I don't think I remember a single song from Red.

LOL

I don't even like Taylor but I'm not going to bother trying to pretend like We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and I Knew You Were Trouble aren't serious ear worms.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
#5DaysTillARTPOP Worried you won't get into the album release party? DONT! It will be live streamed by @ClearChannel w/ host @RyanSeacrest!

Should be pretty great to watch

cory64

I found a pic of drew, look out for ha on the stream:
tumblr_lto5s0XSC61qm6oc3o1_500.gif

edit: The Monster isn't debuting at #1, what a FLOP of an instagram "starlet"
ihtKYkElRVOpD.gif

Styles

With that lead it had I thought it would've debuted over 400k.

Love that 1D got cockblocked by a promo single.

I haven't seen Waffles post since the dethronement of SoML last week.

ibnY6oanoVUzir.gif

Cynosure

Say Something is only 12 points away from being #1

jk1w.png

r9fN6.gif

Mau ®;88810548 said:
Not to mention one is a crucial part of the song, the other one is relegated to a few random lines nowhere near the chorus.

zso17r.gif

those "random lines" are the bridge
if you want to compare feature time length, then X sings a longer chorus in FTM and that ended up selling more than S&S

and S&S is a track in Will.I.Am's album where it literally says "Scream & Shout(featuring Broken Spearit)". It's a feature.

iblKi6qawT5QiR.gif

your level of reaching with this trivial matter is more ITZ than Mau. It's not the time yet for you to crawl back to stanning for the haggard disgrace again, especially when she's at a worse state now than she was for Femme Fatale era :biblio:

xaosslug

slay something is unstoppable. Legend stays plucking all these lumps of coal from the depths and turning them into diamonds in the sky.
iOjBVlD02P1eu.gif

hew else, tho?

ibkfOlPqW8t8Xx.gif

Matt_

was her 2001 video wholly photoshopped too?

rs_600x600-131014161720-600.spears.cm.101413.jpg

no, actually don't tell me and just
MSinhRI.gif

A Christina stan talking about bodies being photo shopped?
iR4dy5Lb8B7Se.gif

What risky territory

edit; Salute shits. May even have to buy this album

Matt_

Little Mix - Salute

omgggggg BOP

bqc-2fb_originallzsx0.gif

EDIT: bye it's only available on DailyMail

Quoting because it deserves the promo.
The female empowerment anthem that Beyonce wanted to make. Devoid of flaws

well sis, Xtina needing photoshop to make her look good is all just in the past.

tumblr_mvueclxnkI1qjdgemo3_250.gif

Can't fault this, she does look amazing
even though I find her kinda scary/angry whenever she gets really skinny

3phemeral

Sorry for the late reply. I was actually pretty sick last night. Skipped the gym because something was messing up my equilibrium somehow. Feeling a bit better now, though.

There's something to be said for reading descriptions. ;)

The climax video lists the song titles, and the virtuosity video also lists song titles with time stamps!

Way ahead of you:
I finally found those two other Sohyang performances I wanted to hear in full. Was not disappointed. These songs are perfectly good reasons why you should avoid the English stuff because they are so much more properly emotive, even when I don't understand the language. In English, I think there's this lack of connection to the music in properly accentuating words that come off as inauthentic to me. Her performances of

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdW3aKsCO0w"]Where Are You
Lived

are great examples of her control over when to sing softly, when to belt, even subtle changes in tonal quality and vowel sound choices that enhance the experience. I believe these are all completely lost with English covers.

Anyone who wants to be truly moved by a performance would be absolutely shitting themselves if their fave had produced something so epic and satisfying.

I'd rank them as Fate ---> Where Are You ----> Lived
[/URL]

I don't think that it's subtle, exactly. I think it's more that you listened to her when your ear wasn't as good, and you're more used to listening for more obvious issues. Listen to her singing compared with Mariah on the same song here. She's a mess.

And more on how different singers respond to vocal abuse (either through issues with technique or through smoking, drug use, or drinking) in a moment.

Your description reminds me - Regine is a classic "loud" singer, actually. I've posted this excerpt in relation to Christina, but it applies to Regine, as well:

She embodies these qualities. Mariah herself does not possess a big tone*, even though her tone is produced properly, so perhaps a better point of comparison is with Whitney. Do you hear the qualities of a "loud" tone when listening to Regine? Do you hear the qualities of a "big" tone when listening to Whitney? You can also hear her issues with her anemic lower register in this video.

I really tried listening to the videos carefully and in each instance, there was no "HQ" quality excuse because the Whitney and Mariah videos were equally as old. What I found immediately that I never pinpointed before was that on a lot of the older Regine performances, she isn't using reverb at all, but she is using reverb in the later televised performances. I imagined I mistook this as resonance because the difference between Mariah's natural resonance and Regine's reverb is quite obvious now. Even as she goes up the scale and sustains a belt, it's consistent throughout. Whitney's video only further emphasized the tonal disparities between the two.

I also didn't realize back then how Regine how a lot of unsupported belts, even to the point where she'll continue singing while still out of breath, producing a nasty, muddy tone while attempting to do a run. I used to think it was because it was musically not within her capability to reproduce it faithfully.

Can I also mention here how horrible Filipino singers are at harmonies?
(I say this as a partial pinoy)

Mariah engaged in vocal abuse in her overuse of airy vocals and whispering, both of which irritate the vocal chords. She managed to go seven years - from her professional debut - singing like this, along with prior damage from nodules and smoking, with little indication that it was affecting her voice aside from perhaps a loss of vocal weight after 1994. Aretha was a chain smoker - 10 packs a day! - and she struggled with alcoholism. It's no accident her voice sounds as dried out as it does now, but she still had much of her tonal quality in the mid-1970s, almost a decade and a half after her professional debut. Whitney was well-known for being a regular smoker herself, and yet it wasn't until almost 1993 that she started showing the beginnings of issues because of this, this is after over 400 concert tour dates, and the beginnings of her drug abuse problems. Jessica Simpson has simply abominable technique - or has since she lost her mind and decided that sounding pretty good wasn't worth it - and yet she's maintained much of her tonal quality.

All very excellent points. They sustained damage but seemingly prevented immediate problems because of proper singing, while Regine is known to take every ridiculous step known to man to "preserve" her voice, which is properly helping her sustain healthier chords temporarily until her body's own self-repair mechanisms are unable to keep up.

What's that? I didn't have enough links before? Allow me to oblige you:

S'En Aller, Le roi est une femme, Rio, Croire (That's right: Eurovision), Wonderful Life, I Guess I Loved You, and any of the covers in Every Woman In Me (only available from her website, English only album; the complete album is on YT). Close To You is one of my favorites, though. The only complete album I have listened to of hers is Nue, and I recommend it strongly (several songs I've mentioned so far are on it). It's just about perfect.

Did you know that she also writes most of her own material? And I'm sure you've noticed she sounds just as flawless in 2013 as she did in 1988! Incidentally, SoHyang is 35, herself.

I'm being flooded! It'll be a while before I get through all of them. I like to discover gems and really live in them. As for SoHyang being 35, those Asian genes man. I thought she was in her early twenties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom