• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always liked Celine's version the best tbh. But I think Leona has punched it out the game and then some.
This album sampler has shown me the lightT. And those self-harmonizations in Silent Night too tbh

Best Christmas alberm since 1994's iconic Merry Christmas

Pre-order Christmas With Love...already #1 in LATVIA!

tumblr_moyky6mz2K1svl47mo1_500.gif

slay leona

EDIT: now #1 in MALTA!

So having a team is a bad thing now? And if only having a team meant instant success, there would be 20 Rihannas. As it stands, there aren't. Its Soul's same old tired shade, just augmented a bit. The fumes because of Gaga's lack of success are new tho.

There are three Rihannas. The reason there aren't 20 is because a good team isn't exactly easy to come by.

:)

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
So having a team is a bad thing now? And if only having a team meant instant success, there would be 20 Rihannas. As it stands, there aren't. Its Soul's same old tired shade, just augmented a bit. The fumes because of Gaga's lack of success are new tho.
I never said having a team or a famous person getting you to where you are is a bad thing. Let's not pretend any of those three made it to where they are on talent though. And yes, the same could be said for Gaga (thanks, Akon!).

Mumei

No one makes it where they are based purely upon their own skills / abilities, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to differentiate between people who have talent (as singers / performers / lyricists / songwriters, as opposed to talent at being "a personality" or "a celebrity"; the latter are certainly talents but not the sort of talents most people think of when they say that someone is talented) and those who do not.

Bladenic

I never said having a team or a famous person getting you to where you are is a bad thing. Let's not pretend any of those three made it to where they are on talent though. And yes, the same could be said for Gaga (thanks, Akon!).

I disagree, Taylor definitely made it on some talent. Gaga too. Katy, eh, but she tried breaking in for years before she made it.

Rihanna's the only one who just kind of happened.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I agree that Gypsy should have been the first single.

Then DWUW.

The final single should have been Applause. A great song to end an era not to start one. RIP.

It's a shame, really. If Gaga had picked Gypsy or Venus as second single, she wouldn't have flopped so hard.

FTFY

Honestly Applause did what it needed to do; it sold well and got Gaga back on people's minds and at the forefront. There were better opportunities for a lead single but it did adequately enough.

The problem was that she waited too long to debut a second single which, when scrapped and replaced by another single entirely, slowed her momentum down to a halt literally right before the album release hype was meant to take place. She started back at zero a week and a half before ARTPOP came out, and because of it only her diehard stans ended up buying it.

To most pop listeners in the world, Gaga simply doesn't have a song out right now. She should have released Venus mid-October, with the video at the end of the October, and that would lift her straight to the US promo string she's doing now. Now she's still in the middle of introducting DWUW to the world and that's been technically out for a while. If the video gets her some buzz then she'll be back full swing, but until then she's a sitting duck sales-wise.

EDIT: And yes, the song that could have benefited her the most as the lead single is Venus. It's kooky, it's infectious, it's crazy. Given the comparisons to "Roar" that would have taken place Venus would have benefited from being alternative and crazy in a way that Applause wanted to but couldn't quite hit. Basically, Venus hits hard, and Applause doesn't. Venus would have been the best possible reminder of Gaga's pinache to the public and with an epic video that song could have actually been a BR-level smash.

FTFY

Honestly Applause did what it needed to do; it sold well and got Gaga back on people's minds and at the forefront. There were better opportunities for a lead single but it did adequately enough.

The problem was that she waited too long to debut a second single which, when scrapped and replaced by another single entirely, slowed her momentum down to a halt literally right before the album release hype was meant to take place. She started back at zero a week and a half before ARTPOP came out, and because of it only her diehard stans ended up buying it.

To most pop listeners in the world, Gaga simply doesn't have a song out right now. She should have released Venus mid-October, with the video at the end of the October, and that would lift her straight to the US promo string she's doing now. Now she's still in the middle of introducting DWUW to the world and that's been technically out for a while. If the video gets her some buzz then she'll be back full swing, but until then she's a sitting duck sales-wise.

EDIT: And yes, the song that could have benefited her the most as the lead single is Venus. It's kooky, it's infectious, it's crazy. Given the comparisons to "Roar" that would have taken place Venus would have benefited from being alternative and crazy in a way that Applause wanted to but couldn't quite hit. Basically, Venus hits hard, and Applause doesn't. Venus would have been the best possible reminder of Gaga's pinache to the public and with an epic video that song could have actually been a BR-level smash.

I agree with you that the timing is terrible with her single releases. Applause should never have been a single, though. Once Aura leaked, she should have given it a video and made it a promo, then immediately released Venus afterwards.

I don't even think DWUW is a good single choice. It's not Gaga-esque in the way that Venus is, and the latter would have definitely generated way more buzz as a single.

The sad reality is that Applause is boring. The first time I heard it I couldn't believe it was Gaga. Sure, it might have generated some initial buzz, but it's terrible for a long term choice.

Bladenic

I'd say Applause is probably my least favorite Gaga single. I'd say it's my most hated Gaga song period, but that's impossible when most of The Fame exists.

Hmmm, kind of agreed. However, I got tired of hearing LoveGame and Edge of Glory, while I surprisingly still like Applause. Judas was a grower.

I think DWUW is a great single choice. It certainly has more urban appeal than either Venus or Gypsy and, if properly promoted, should do better than Applause.

I think DWUW is a great single choice. It certainly has more urban appeal than either Venus or Gypsy and, if properly promoted, should do better than Applause.

There's no question it will do better than Applause. I still think that Venus is definitely more "Gaga" and will appeal to both her stanbase and the general music community more.

If the video is as wild as she says it is, ARTPOP will probably sell like crazy. Gaga sells records based on her wow factor, and that's the sad truth. She has an amazing voice but it's often overlooked because people like seeing her do wild things. :/

Just look at Miley. Do you think Bangerz would have done that well without all the VMA publicity? We Can't Stop and Wrecking Ball smashed, but a lot of that was due to her image and the controversial videos.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I think Sky said something about Azealia or Lorde on twitter.

And now, I think Azealia is attacking Sky or Lady Gaga.

I'm confused.
7732f81d.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom