• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
Obligatory:

ilT4TiSw2IAdG.jpg

She's a mediocre lyricist, whatever you think of her overall songwriting / compositional ability.

Someone had to say it. It's the same exact shit every album just rearranged differently.

Kyon

Banned
Stefan™;83315125 said:
The ignorance. But please continue with the hate train.

It's not ignorance it's truth. She is always talking about the same subject every album. As a lyricist she has not grown at the least. Red does not show any sign of maturity and growth as an artist.

As a lyricist she has not grown at the least. Red does not show any sign of maturity and growth as an artist.
I have to agree with this. I feel like Mine, Dear John, and Last Kiss are her at her songwriting best and I was a bit disappointed that nothing on Red grabbed me like those three. Except maybe Treacherous.

Artemisia

Banned
I guess it shows that people have higher standards for The Lord in relation to other artists when we're discussing her growth as a writer and composer.

I can't imagine this conversation happening with Rihanna, Gaga, Britney, Katy Perry, etc.

Mumei

But Mumei, have you even fully experienced any of The Lord's collections of hymns?

Of course. While I have never been someone who listened to the radio in his leisure time, I did listen to the radio a lot once upon a time - whenever I was on the bus going to school, whenever I was driving to school, whenever I was in the car with my parents, etc.

I was listening to the radio on a very regular basis, maybe an hour or two a day, until around 2009 - and I only stopped because my car radio stopped working. I didn't get around to having my car radio fixed until 2011-ish, and the main reason I didn't start listening to my radio again is because I had gotten an iPod by that point and was listening mostly to that instead. But I've still heard a lot of recent stuff thanks to friends and PopGAF.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guess it shows that people have higher standards for The Lord in relation to other artists when we're discussing her growth as a writer and composer.

I can't imagine this conversation happening with Rihanna, Gaga, Britney, Katy Perry, etc.

Actually out of that lot we discuss Gaga's growth as a songwriter fairly regularly and many of us feel she peaked with TFM so

Really? This discussion crops up all the time re: Gaga. Britney doesn't really do the whole soul-bearing confessional thing, and Rihanna's musical stylings are so different from album to album that it's hard to compare. Katy Perry is generally awful anything that isn't radio-candy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Plus the reason the discussion never really comes up with those artists is that I don't really recall the NAVY ever claiming that Rih is the best songwriter in pop music. Maybe if they did that filthy lie would be exposed too.

Partition

Banned
Lol, if Gaga peaked with TFM songwriting she is truly trash in that department then. The TFM song writing is one of many things that led to Gaga's overexposure and the general public tiring of her. Every single from that era used some kind of repetition hook that was clearly uninspired and lazy (ra ra ra ra ra, te te te te, ale ale ale ale). Monster also did the same.

I'm NOT saying BTW song writing is better, because it is just full of highs and lows in itself. I don't think she grew or declined in song writing between those two albums. Also a few tracks on TFM were not written by Gaga, she was just credited for them; Telephone being one of them. This comes from my source so take what you will with it.

If anything her song writing will improve with ARTPOP given what we have heard so far. Applause, while being a lyrical mess in the second verse, is very nicely structured. And the ARTPOP song is a perfect example of growth tbh.

She's vastly improving lyrically, but not necessarily in making a standard "pop" song. If that is what we are debating here.

Speaking of lyrics, Gaga just revealed new lyrics to her future smash hit, Do What You Want (With My Body)

Write what you want, say what you want 'bout me, if you're wonderin' know that im not sorry. Do what you want (what you want with my body)

Styles

They've basically glossed over SoG, Holy Ground, Sad Beautiful Tragic and All Too Well. They are worlds apart from Her debut. >_>

Artemisia

Banned
I love the second verse of bad kids ;_;

I'm a bitch. Degenerate, young rebel and I'm proud of it.

Pump your fist if you would rather mess up than put up with this

Fierce tbh

5GC8vI1.gif

Whatever, the verses in Applause are hardly conventional but they're not bad or sloppy. They work very well with the melody of the song and only Gaga can make lyrics as goofy as the ones in Applause sound completely effortless. Sometimes the off kilter lyrics don't work with the song (ahem, Highway Unicorn, Americano, Judas) but she mostly manages to make the lyrics fit her songs better than any conventional lyric could.

And Applause's first verse is fucking epic. I stand here wa-ai-ting fooahhh, YOU, to BANG, the, goooong

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's really not as bad as you make it out to be, so you can stop now tbh

Are you kidding? I'm hard pressed to think of a worse lyric from any song in 2013. I guess some of the lyrics on Yeezus are pretty stupid ('In a French-ass restaurant, hurry up with my damn croissants!'), but at least they're making a point, and, at least I presume, are intended to be darkly funny ('We get this bitch shaking like Parkinsons').

Are you kidding? I'm hard pressed to think of a worse lyric from any song in 2013. I guess some of the lyrics on Yeezus are pretty stupid, but at least they're making a point, and, at least I presume, are intended to be funny.

CLEARLY you don't understand art

3Twerk.gif

THIS is a MESS tho...

September 22, 2013
From Interscope Records
Interscope Records would like to make consumers of Madonna's MDNA World Tour Blu-ray disc aware that the concert will be seen at its most optimal quality by properly adjusting the settings on your television to "Normal/Movie" mode rather than "Dynamic/Enhanced" mode.

Older Blu-ray players or those without a firmware upgrade may experience glitches when navigating the Blu-ray menu. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to upgrade firmware.

Due to an error in manufacturing that has compromised the 5.1 audio in the US, a full recall of the Blu-ray disc will be issued in the US. No other markets will be affected.
We apologize for this inconvenience.

Sad face.

Mumei

Whatever, the verses in Applause are hardly conventional but they're not bad or sloppy. They work very well with the melody of the song and only Gaga can make lyrics as goofy as the ones in Applause sound completely effortless. Sometimes the off kilter lyrics don't work with the song (ahem, Highway Unicorn, Americano, Judas) but she mostly manages to make the lyrics fit her songs better than any conventional lyric could.

And Applause's first verse is fucking epic. I stand here wa-ai-ting fooahhh, YOU, to BANG, the, goooong

Who is saying that the lyrics are bad because they are unconventional?

I think it is a dumb lyric because it is essentially a non sequitur response from an assertion that I'm not even sure was actually made by anyone. Who says that nostalgia is for geeks? What does reading have to do with nostalgia and how is this a rebuttal? If someone said, "I think nostalgia is for geeks," do you think, "Some of us just like to read!" would be an intelligent response?

And yes, ARTPOP, the lyric really is that bad.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Can someone confirm if this works outside the anUS.

I need to be ready when I get back home.

It didn't for me and someone in ha thread said it didn't work for Canada either

royalan

Who is saying that the lyrics are bad because they are unconventional?

I think it is a dumb lyric because it is essentially a non sequitur response from an assertion that I'm not even sure was actually made by anyone. Who says that nostalgia is for geeks? What does reading have to do with nostalgia and how is this a rebuttal? If someone said, "I think nostalgia is for geeks," do you think, "Some of us just like to read!" would be an intelligent response?

And yes, ARTPOP, the lyric really is that bad.

THANK YOU

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
tumblr_mtk5r47aAe1r877b7o1_500.jpg

Bey on Puerto Rico. Also look her skin tone. Bleach effects wore off.

I see Im not the only one listening to Natalia Kills in here.

iEfsXCdpwK2bd.png
ifhMqkoRnMWE.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom